Is this game an MMO or a single player online rpg?

DarthWoad

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's turned into a single player online rpg that we have to pay 15 bucks a month to get all the content.

The fact that we havn't even had any good group content in the last 2 years is very telling of the way they want to go with the game.

more like co-op single player RPG.

you start your personal story go through some "group" classic content and once you hit kotfe it's pure single player.

you have pvp modes and some old classic group content but not mmo worthy ones.

Uprisings are just re skin of old areas from the game which you can complete in 10 minutes.

for me i still see people play together with each others. mmo

i think currently there are 2 problems.

on the one side the developer got lazy and on the other side community keeps buying stuff from the cartel market because people think that the money will help to develope more content while the developer gets even more lazy cause of the sales. why develope content if you can make easy cash selling single items?

the same situation exists in gw2. the ingame store gets more priority than anything else. developing content needs work, thinking, modelling and in the worst case players will complain rather than to enjoy the content. so put 3 new armors into the store will do.

believe me if community stops to buy from the cartel market the developer will get under pressure to gain subscribers and will be forced to sell addons or put content in to keep subscribers confident.

dont support the ingame stores they are the root for company lazyness.

Like many so called MMO's at it's heart it's just a single player story driven game, at some point the developers or publishers decided to cash in on the MMO craze, and bolted on PVP and some group content, then dumped it on a game server or two and called it an MMO.

Single player RPG's often offer more consequences from choice and work put in,

If this were a single player game and you spent time grinding an alert out, you would see that companion appear again later on as a continuity nod. SWTOR has you doing excessive grinding which will have no impact on later events, often with choices having no impact which would be considered game breaking in a single player RPG.

The best way to determine yourself, is to go play for a while on a dead server. Go see how lonely, miserable and empty it all feels. Then tell me this is a single player rpg.

It's an mmo, it has all the mmo bits such as trade, pvp and group content. If you could play this offline you wouldn't bother because it needs people. Seriously its getting really annoying and really old that just because we haven't had any new raids in a while, a disgruntled section of people wants to label the game a single player experience.

It's an mmo, period.

for me i still see people play together with each others. mmo

i think currently there are 2 problems.

on the one side the developer got lazy and on the other side community keeps buying stuff from the cartel market because people think that the money will help to develope more content while the developer gets even more lazy cause of the sales. why develope content if you can make easy cash selling single items?

the same situation exists in gw2. the ingame store gets more priority than anything else. developing content needs work, thinking, modelling and in the worst case players will complain rather than to enjoy the content. so put 3 new armors into the store will do.

believe me if community stops to buy from the cartel market the developer will get under pressure to gain subscribers and will be forced to sell addons or put content in to keep subscribers confident.

dont support the ingame stores they are the root for company lazyness.

Exactly. Too many stupid people out there paying rl bucks for meaningless pixels rather than earning things by actually playing content. I would call SWTOR nowadays an endless "expansion" with the name SWTOR: The Cartel Market.

And Bioware I would call the most pathetic, ignorant, arrogant and customer unfriendly/disrespecting company out there, by far and not limited to the gaming industry. At least from all companies I know of.

That includes all aspects of running this game, including their incompetent and unfriendly, most times not able to help "support" team, which doesn't even have a direct internal communication with the developer team. And the customer "dialogue" with the developer team is largely a one way "communication" as well. You get no feedback, no in game help from game masters, etc. etc. etc.

If it wasn't Star Wars this company couldn't even run a hypothetically existing "Pac Man online".

In a way I wish it was a single player game, we'd (probably?) get better story content but on the other hand if it were SP it would have ended after the class stories. Always the problem with SP games, you want it to go on, but it ends. With no guarantee of continuation in the expansions, if you even get those.

Blahhh what am I even trying to say? I don't know how they can fix the jam we're in, with so many people wanting so many different things from one game. Without throwing boatloads of money at it, anyway. I just happen to be one that started playing with the expectation that there would be more class story added, the mmo features never mattered to me one way or the other. Though clearly they do matter - the health of the game depends on those features.

It's still an MMO and that wont really change. Just because the game has some single player aspects, doesn't mean it changes the entirety of the game.

You can still raid, do uprisings, do pvp, and to dungeons on certain dificulties. Whether the content is updated or not doesn't affect what you are still able to do.

If this is really a single player game to people or even a co op, I'd like to know games that functions exactly or similar to this one on the grand scale of things.

I believe its officially referred to as a story driven MMO. It has single player RPG aspects as well as many MMO aspects, there's no need to pick only one or the other, its both. With recent content and expansions, I think one could argue that the game is currently a little more single player RPG focused than MMO focused right now. But that doesn't mean that everyone should start calling it a single player online game, its an MMO first and foremost. I think for the sake of simplicity, most people refer to the game as an MMO. This tends to be the most obvious aspect of the game from the outset and that is what the game is marketed as. Edited by Anduhar

It is still an MMO but in limited parts.

One of the pillars of an MMO experience is player interaction. If you can do everything in the game by yourself without the help of another individual, then you are playing a Single player RPG. Currently, SWTOR still has OPs / Flashpoints / Uprisings / even datacron hunts that require more than 1 person to complete. That is what is currently keeping SWTOR an MMO. With the possible focus coming on Group Content hopefully they can steer the game to be more centralized as an MMO.

Well, this game has:

• Nine Operations (plus two single-boss Ops, and two Event-only single-boss Ops)
  • Twenty-Seven Flashpoints
  • Five Uprisings (with five more coming this month)
  • Numerous World Bosses
  • Seven 8v8 Warzones and Five 4v4 Warzone Arenas
  • Galactic Starfighter PVP

...so, I'd certainly say it's an MMO.

If it's not putting out enough new group-focused content fast enough to hold your interest, or if the community isn't active enough to hold your interest, those are perfectly valid reasons for a person to say "I don't like this game" - but it has more than enough "traditional MMO" content existing in it to justify the label even if they stopped putting out new group-focused content altogether.

Well, this game has:

• Nine Operations (plus two single-boss Ops, and two Event-only single-boss Ops)
  • Twenty-Seven Flashpoints
  • Five Uprisings (with five more coming this month)
  • Numerous World Bosses
  • Seven 8v8 Warzones and Five 4v4 Warzone Arenas
  • Galactic Starfighter PVP

...so, I'd certainly say it's an MMO.

If it's not putting out enough new group-focused content fast enough to hold your interest, or if the community isn't active enough to hold your interest, those are perfectly valid reasons for a person to say "I don't like this game" - but it has more than enough "traditional MMO" content existing in it to justify the label even if they stopped putting out new group-focused content altogether.

Yeah I agree with this I'm returning player and find its leaps and bounds from where it was even a year ago.