No Carrie Fisher Acknowledgement From The DEVs

Rabin_Lorac

Lots of yellow posts this week. One being a joke about not making a mistake on the year.

Did you all know that 5 days ago Elite Dangerous announced a tribute to Carrie Fisher? Their DEVs made an actual interview about their tribute, what is it and when it will happen. They are adding an entire space station named Fisher's Rest.

So I guess every DEV team does not go on vacation for 2 weeks. I guess not every DEV team is barred from making comments without marketing or PR getting involved. Shout out to our Facebook and Twitter team, thanks for those Cartel advertisements! Oh it might be automated you say? Are you frigging saying there is NO ONE at the helm? No one that can say a single line of tribute to her?

How in the world can a non Star Wars game step up and do a tribute, but the premier active Star Wars game cannot?

The newest DEV announcement: We will talk about 5.1 from the stream dream team!

Oh, they are keeping under wraps, you say! Why in all the galaxy would they keep a tribute to Carrie Fisher or at least just acknowledge her passing under wraps?!?!?! Are you saying that marketing and PR have such a control over this dream stream team that they cannot even say condolences?!?!?!?!

Well look, these are the same caring people that made a great statement and tribute to Christopher Lee. Yeah, right LOL. Like they could not have added a Count title, or a cartel market Dooku style cloak or armor set. God forbid them to actually add a Sith with the count title that has a small mission/heroic like adventure. How hard is it to add another heroic to the game where either side has to infiltrate a small base where a rogue sith titled count somethingofanother is building a clone army. Or even a FP. But since Uprisings are the new thing and in demand by the player base maybe they can do that instead now?

Are these DEVs really Star Wars fans? Do they really care about anything other than having a job programming some game and going home? Are they really so strangled by EA, upper management, and/or PR/marketing that they cannot do anything without prior approval, consent, and having the necessary forms filled out in triplicate?

How can the community care so much about alternative advancement for subs post level 70 which is totally normal in most MMOs, but not care anything about EAware and their treatment of Star Wars, its meaning, and those that contributed to its success?

Edited by Rabin_Lorac

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what?

It speaks to a much larger problem. Disconnect between the devs and the playerbase. We are first and foremost, Star Wars fans.

Even Star Trek Online tweeted about Carrie's death.

But the only Star Wars MMO did not.

Fisher is not part of the game lore, she was a person who played a char that was part of the future lore. Leia's Rest?

Other famous people have died who impacted all of us, this is a slippery sloop.

Rodenberry's Rest?

Nimoy's Rest?

Spock's Rest?

Nixon's Rest? lol

I'd be a fan of a "No in game memorials" policy, that way no one feels slighted.

Fisher is not part of the game lore, she was a person who played a char that was part of the future lore. Leia's Rest?

Rodenberry's Rest?

Nimoy's Rest?

Spock's Rest?

Nixon's Rest? lol

I'd be a fan of a "No in game memorials" policy, that way no one feels slighted.

And Gene Roddenberry and Leonard Nimoy were honored by Star Trek Online. If you can't see why that is than you're just being willfully ignorant at this point.

Rodenberry's Rest?

Nimoy's Rest?

Spock's Rest?

Nixon's Rest? lol

You cannot be really serious. There are so many things you can add to the game as a tribute. I even game examples. Do you know how to read? Do you know how to comprehend what you read? In posts before this one people came up with ideas where we can honor Carrie Fisher.

What are you talking about game lore? You know this whole game is made up right? It is not even official Star Wars Canon. You know there was no such thing as Darth Nox or General Garza. None of this was lore before they made it. It did not exist. The only reason why all these made up characters even exist right now is because Bioware originally paid millions to Lucasfilm to have the right to make up this game. And do you know why they picked this time period and not lets say the clone wars or the future legacy era? It was because it would not conflict with the main story and they have a lot of leeway to make crap up without conflicting with George Lucas' vision.

Did I say anything about about this SW game having to make a tribute to another genre or IP? Why would fans of non Star Wars actors or creators be slighted that they do not appear in a Star Wars game? Maybe you are slighted that your favorite non Star Wars character did not get a tribute.

How much of a troll are you? Do you get some satisfaction derailing threads? Is your life so lonely and sad that you have to make a ridiculous comment? Do you even know what you wrote and what it even means? Or does it just come out like tourettes?

And Gene Roddenberry and Leonard Nimoy were honored by Star Trek Online. If you can't see why that is than you're just being willfully ignorant at this point.

Back in the days of UO they got into all these memorials and also charities like for natural disasters. Eventually it became a problem because there was always an angry voice that said "If you did it for X than why not for Y?" They basically could not say no.

A no memorials policy is best, when you include just the contributors to the movies there are 100s of people, writers, directors, producers and the cast, do those guys at the bar on tatooine in IV get a memorial?

I'm not trying to be cold or mean, just realistic.

Lots of yellow posts this week. One being a joke about not making a mistake on the year.

Did you all know that 5 days ago Elite Dangerous announced a tribute to Carrie Fisher? Their DEVs made an actual interview about their tribute, what is it and when it will happen. They are adding an entire space station named Fisher's Rest.

So I guess every DEV team does not go on vacation for 2 weeks. I guess not every DEV team is barred from making comments without marketing or PR getting involved. Shout out to our Facebook and Twitter team, thanks for those Cartel advertisements! Oh it might be automated you say? Are you frigging saying there is NO ONE at the helm? No one that can say a single line of tribute to her?

How in the world can a non Star Wars game step up and do a tribute, but the premier active Star Wars game cannot?

The newest DEV announcement: We will talk about 5.1 from the stream dream team!

Oh, they are keeping under wraps, you say! Why in all the galaxy would they keep a tribute to Carrie Fisher or at least just acknowledge her passing under wraps?!?!?! Are you saying that marketing and PR have such a control over this dream stream team that they cannot even say condolences?!?!?!?!

Well look, these are the same caring people that made a great statement and tribute to Christopher Lee. Yeah, right LOL. Like they could not have added a Count title, or a cartel market Dooku style cloak or armor set. God forbid them to actually add a Sith with the count title that has a small mission/heroic like adventure. How hard is it to add another heroic to the game where either side has to infiltrate a small base where a rogue sith titled count somethingofanother is building a clone army. Or even a FP. But since Uprisings are the new thing and in demand by the player base maybe they can do that instead now?

Are these DEVs really Star Wars fans? Do they really care about anything other than having a job programming some game and going home? Are they really so strangled by EA, upper management, and/or PR/marketing that they cannot do anything without prior approval, consent, and having the necessary forms filled out in triplicate?

How can the community care so much about alternative advancement for subs post level 70 which is totally normal in most MMOs, but not care anything about EAware and their treatment of Star Wars, its meaning, and those that contributed to its success?

153 Threads about how SWTOR is a bad game

39 Threads about "Traditional Jedi Robes"

341 Threads about poor Command Rank system

^ BioWare don't care. Why do You think they will care about few pixels about Carrie statue or something? :rak_02:

Back in the days of UO they got into all these memorials and also charities like for natural disasters. Eventually it became a problem because there was always an angry voice that said "If you did it for X than why not for Y?" They basically could not say no.

A no memorials policy is best, when you include just the contributors to the movies there are 100s of people, writers, directors, producers and the cast, do those guys at the bar on tatooine in IV get a memorial?

Did I ask for natural disasters?

They basically could not say no? This is a joke right? You know they just say no. WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT THE DEVS HAVE BEEN SAYING TO THIS PLAYER BASE SINCE BETA. They are really good as saying no here.

You are not being realistic you are just trying to derail the thread for your own twisted purposes.

We're talking about Carrie Fisher. She's basically part of the holy trinity of Star Wars (Luke, Han, and Leia.) No acknowledgment of that speaks to an overall lack of engagement with the game and community. It's a big reason why so many players are currently upset with the devs. (Not because of this, but because of the overall disconnect and lack of care there seems to be on their part.)

It speaks to a much larger problem. Disconnect between the devs and the playerbase. We are first and foremost, Star Wars fans.

Even Star Trek Online tweeted about Carrie's death.

But the only Star Wars MMO did not.

The only disconnect from the devs and the players is what we want in this game. The subject mentioned in this thread has NOTHING to do with that. The players want NEW Operations, Class balances at a more consistent pace (not once a year), New PvP maps, New GSF content. These are the things the players want, and the devs just don't get it.

BW has the right NOT to say anything about her death, so leave it at that. Let them morn in their own way.

153 Threads about how SWTOR is a bad game

39 Threads about "Traditional Jedi Robes"

341 Threads about poor Command Rank system

^ BioWare don't care. Why do You think they will care about few pixels about Carrie statue or something? :rak_02:

Gah when you put it like that, reminds me of how long people have been asking for things like purple twi'leks. And imagine how easy that would be to add to the game.

This thread is depressing! BW is like a hollow easter bunny

The only disconnect from the devs and the players is what we want in this game. The subject mentioned in this thread has NOTHING to do with that. The players want NEW Operations, Class balances at a more consistent pace (not once a year), New PvP maps, New GSF content. These are the things the players want, and the devs just don't get it.

BW has the right NOT to say anything about her death, so leave it at that. Let them morn in their own way.

It's not their only 'disconnect', but it sure as hell is the main one.

I play video games to entertain myself and I find the thought of combining fantasy with reality to be a little cringe-worthy to me. The NFL doesn't stop every broadcast to tell you someone who used to play the game passed away, or to memorialize them in some way. I've been a Star Wars fanatic ALL my life, and I think it sucks that she's gone...but I think it would be a very cheap way for them to buy PR by simply pretending to care and planting a statue. They already ARE disconnected...they don't need to grave dance for good publicity and I sure as hell don't encourage them to...they're wise to not pretend they suddenly care.

Edited by TUXs

Rodenberry's Rest?

Nimoy's Rest?

Spock's Rest?

Nixon's Rest? lol

STO memorial (klingon version): https://i.redd.it/22sgngxcacwx.png

Gene Roddenberry, Leonard Nimoy, Majel Barrett, James Doohan, DeForest Kelley and Anton Yelchin are included.

We're talking about Carrie Fisher. She's basically part of the holy trinity of Star Wars (Luke, Han, and Leia.) No acknowledgment of that speaks to an overall lack of engagement with the game and community. It's a big reason why so many players are currently upset with the devs. (Not because of this, but because of the overall disconnect and lack of care there seems to be on their part.)

So no memorial for Darth Vader or the Emperor? Obi Wan? Yoda?

What about like cases where there was a young and old actor for the same char?

Once the first memorial goes up, they can never say no again.

These things are driven by policy, write it up, what are the rules for memorials? How do you keep from having 100s of them? Do you use real life names or the names of the chars? If you use real life names how to you fit that in the story, or do we just pollute the story in their name?

It is easy for us to make demands because we don't have to deal with the fallout.

You cannot be really serious. There are so many things you can add to the game as a tribute. I even game examples. Do you know how to read? Do you know how to comprehend what you read? In posts before this one people came up with ideas where we can honor Carrie Fisher.

What are you talking about game lore? You know this whole game is made up right? It is not even official Star Wars Canon. You know there was no such thing as Darth Nox or General Garza. None of this was lore before they made it. It did not exist. The only reason why all these made up characters even exist right now is because Bioware originally paid millions to Lucasfilm to have the right to make up this game. And do you know why they picked this time period and not lets say the clone wars or the future legacy era? It was because it would not conflict with the main story and they have a lot of leeway to make crap up without conflicting with George Lucas' vision.

Did I say anything about about this SW game having to make a tribute to another genre or IP? Why would fans of non Star Wars actors or creators be slighted that they do not appear in a Star Wars game? Maybe you are slighted that your favorite non Star Wars character did not get a tribute.

How much of a troll are you? Do you get some satisfaction derailing threads? Is your life so lonely and sad that you have to make a ridiculous comment? Do you even know what you wrote and what it even means? Or does it just come out like tourettes?

Cut the crap. You only seek attention by creating threads like this Do you want to get out of line? Show how big a fan you are?. There are other MAJOR issues this game has. AND YES, we know BW doesnt care about community. Also, stop using the argumentum ad personam. Has someone insulted you?

They basically could not say no? This is a joke right? You know they just say no. WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT THE DEVS HAVE BEEN SAYING TO THIS PLAYER BASE SINCE BETA. They are really good as saying no here .

They really aren't good at saying No, they're good at saying nothing. Could be one of the reasons why they haven't said or done any of the things you and others are looking for.

If they added some type of tribute it would please some, upset others. It either would be too much, too little, lore breaking, too soon, too late, focused on Leia, focused on Fischer, etc. There just isn't a perfect solution for the vast player base.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be passionate about it, but not everyone is going to share that passion. And some will outright oppose it with the same level of passion. So just expect opposition or replies that are flippant because some people either think the opposite, or just don't care.

So no memorial for Darth Vader or the Emperor? Obi Wan? Yoda?

What about like cases where there was a young and old actor for the same char?

Once the first memorial goes up, they can never say no again.

These things are driven by policy, write it up, what are the rules for memorials? How do you keep from having 100s of them? Do you use real life names or the names of the chars? If you use real life names how to you fit that in the story, or do we just pollute the story in their name?

It is easy for us to make demands because we don't have to deal with the fallout.

That's why I think OP seeks attention, because Carrie Fisher's death is on top now