The Voice Actress That Refused to Return to SWTOR

Aeneas_Falco

Does anyone know more about this?

In threads discussing companions that haven't returned yet I've now seen a couple different people refer to a voice actress that refused to do additional voice work for SWTOR. No details were given in any of those posts however on which actress this supposedly was, which character she voiced, the reason behind it, or whether this was a rumor or something posted on an official Twitter account.

Does anyone know the origin of this, who it is referring to, and what the details are? I'm just curious if there is a companion that definitely won't be returning because of an issue with the VA, or if it's just an unsubstantiated rumor at this point.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jennifer Hale is the only one I know of and it was due to the voice actor's strike: http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/10/22/498954253/voice-actors-strike-against-video-game-companies

[Edit] I do want to mention that there may be other actors/actresses in the guild that voice for SWTOR, but I haven't seen them named anywhere.

Edited by Edyn

If I had a guess, I'd say it was Jaesa as that's who they're usually referring to. I think it was due to the fact that her husband was filming two full season tv shows with one in Canada and the other in Georgia. She had to relocate on the east coast at 9 mo pregnant then shortly after having her 1st, she became pregnant with her second which stressed her out a little. Things probably have improved now as her husband quit his Canadian show and the us one is a half season now. I'm a big fan of his and remember him announcing things on twitter.

I do not think it was an *I hate ea/bw/sw thing. I think it was just a busy life.

I think the rumor was about RLC.

My guess is Jaesa was one of the companions they wanted to add to KofFE, but she was just unavailable. She was a series regular on a TNT series through the end of last year and shot two films. And that was on top of her Robot Chicken work. And she (somewhat) recently had her second child. I think it was simply a matter of being too busy.

And the "rumor" started as they do. However, a lot of people seem to have the impression that she's "too good" now, but, AFAIK, she's been conformed for Tifa in the FF7 remake, so I doubt that's the case.

Edited by Alphasgimaone

I think the rumor was about RLC.

My guess is Jaesa was one of the companions they wanted to add to KofFE, but she was just unavailable. She was a series regular on a TNT series through the end of last year and shot two films. And that was on top of her Robot Chicken work. And she (somewhat) recently had her second child. I think it was simply a matter of being too busy.

And the "rumor" started as they do. However, a lot of people seem to have the impression that she's "too good" now, but, AFAIK, she's been conformed for Tifa in the FF7 remake, so I doubt that's the case.

You basically said what the poster above you said. ;>

I remember hearing hearing on these forums that Rachael Leigh Cook had said she wasn't coming back to SWTOR, but I tried searching for any news to that effect and found nothing.

But given how many companions still haven't returned and the fact that including her would be more complicated than most, I would surprised if she was one of the ones Bioware had actively tried to get back but couldn't.

Hopefully Jaesa and RLC will be back in the next expansion, though. She still does do voicework as the above posters have mentioned.

Edited by OldVengeance

For the record, Jennifer Hale not only voices Satele Shan, but also the female trooper. Yes, she is part of the strike, but she has worked with BioWare for well over a decade and has a very good relationship with the studio.

Not to mention, all of these voice actors signed contracts when getting involved with SWTOR. I don't remember the specifics now, but at the time of the game's release I believe they were all obligated to be available for the next five years should BioWare ever need them.

I wouldn't believe any hearsay or rumors about why or why not Jaesa has returned, as it's doubtful it would have taken up that much time in the actress' busy schedule. What we do know is that Charles has a plan for bringing back the companions who have not returned and he believes the community will like it. That's based on remarks he used in the last producer live stream, so we probably won't know what that entails until we hear about the next expansion.

None of the VA will be returning until the strike is over, a lot of them stopped doing games as of 2016. The rest is hear say and rumors. The company that makes this game is one of the 11 companies the strike is against. Edited by mattshaheen

Easily fixed. Make Jaesa suffer some kind of injury and make her have a robotic voice. It fits lore wise too.

Actually, they could just have a minor plot point about Jaesa (or any companion) having suffered a throat injury after which her voice sounds different. No need for a 'robotic' voice, just a voice that sounds similar to the old one.

Or, just recast and move on without saying their voice changed.

This. Her voice isn't particularly unique. I'm sure there are hundreds of women who sound just like her that do voice work for cheaper (and would be better at it.).

I have never seen anything to suggest that it was Rachael Leigh Cook.

Of course we speculate it is her as she is a TV and Film actress so is seen as having an option to say 'no more computer game work' and the idea of doing a computer game where dialogues may seem redundant if your playing the same character as good and bad may make the experience less enjoyable makes her experience likely to have been one of the most confusing.

Do we know that any actress has said she wouldn't return?

Someone somewhere said that an actress wont return, we don't even know who said it and we don't know who reported it.

I've not heard of any that were refusing to come back (other than the one that died and they replaced him.) Then again I don't pay very close attention to these sorts of things, and actors don't typically talk about swtor even when I do read an interview or something.

If there's an issue with a strike I'd be a lot more accepting of our companions absence

This. Her voice isn't particularly unique. I'm sure there are hundreds of women who sound just like her that do voice work for cheaper (and would be better at it.).

No, she's got a pretty distinctive voice. I can usually recognize her characters by the voice. A Jaesa without Rachel Leigh Cook wouldn't feel the same. And that would really suck.

Anyway, I'm kind of confused about the voice actor strike thing. Jennifer Hale was in Knights of the Eternal Throne, but she is also part of the strike. I think Steve Blum was too? How does that work? What did the strike affect if that's the case?

Edited by OldVengeance

Does anyone know more about this?

In threads discussing companions that haven't returned yet I've now seen a couple different people refer to a voice actress that refused to do additional voice work for SWTOR. No details were given in any of those posts however on which actress this supposedly was, which character she voiced, the reason behind it, or whether this was a rumor or something posted on an official Twitter account.

Does anyone know the origin of this, who it is referring to, and what the details are? I'm just curious if there is a companion that definitely won't be returning because of an issue with the VA, or if it's just an unsubstantiated rumor at this point.

rumors...always have some truth BUT are still rumors however it wouldn't be hard to find a new person to replace her spongebob has had 3 voice actors and ash ketchem has had several