Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Is gunnery viable in PVP

DrDismemberment

Eh?! Auto facing is not disabled in PVP. Ive experienced this from both ends of a blaster. First when I tried bunny hopping a BH while I was on my shadow, and wondered why he was just sitting there and smoking me. Then Ive done it many times on my commando waiting for a cd to reset.

I think some channeled attacks once you begin them auto face. I'm talking about if a guy runs behind you and you hit 'grav round' for example, in pve you will autoturn and fire, in pvp you will not.

So running circles around people in pvp is still very effective and not at all pointless.

Edited by hadoken

I've noticed you won't auto-face when you start casting, but if you're mashing abilities, I've never had a skill cancel on me because I wasn't facing the enemy besides occasionally some High Impact Bolts and Demo rounds. It does auto-aim to the enemy. I've never had a problem completely wrecking someone in melee range. My channeled stuff always hits.

I've noticed you won't auto-face when you start casting, but if you're mashing abilities, I've never had a skill cancel on me because I wasn't facing the enemy besides occasionally some High Impact Bolts and Demo rounds. It does auto-aim to the enemy. I've never had a problem completely wrecking someone in melee range. My channeled stuff always hits.

The face check may only be 'on cast' which makes it much less punishing than in other games where it's 'on delivery'.

I think some channeled attacks once you begin them auto face. I'm talking about if a guy runs behind you and you hit 'grav round' for example, in pve you will autoturn and fire, in pvp you will not.

So running circles around people in pvp is still very effective and not at all pointless.

I sit and cast Grav Round with melee hopping around me all day. As you cast the Grav Round, you auto-face the enemy. As long as you continually hammer the Grav Round button, you will never have to move, and you will auto-face the enemy the entire time.

My entire strategy against melee is "stand here and shoot you in the *********** face".

I sit and cast Grav Round with melee hopping around me all day. As you cast the Grav Round, you auto-face the enemy. As long as you continually hammer the Grav Round button, you will never have to move, and you will auto-face the enemy the entire time.

My entire strategy against melee is "stand here and shoot you in the *********** face".

Those melee are retarded and bad at the game if you're casting grav round while they're in melee range. Their interupt is low cooldown and if rotated with their charge (which also interupts) and stuns, you'll never get a cast off unless you juke them.

We do not do well against melee as gunnery, AT ALL. They're designed to stop us from doing our job and they do it very well. We kill people very quickly at range which is our job and we do it well. If you're face tanking someone, one of you is playing your class badly.

Also, they're not EXACTLY the same. Bounty hunter's mortar volley (death from above) hits earlier than ours. This makes a significant difference because our damage is backloaded and theirs is spread out. If we manage to catch someone, it's suddenly 3k damage whereas the bounty hunter is consistently hitting you.

Edited by LordKivlov

As a 41 Gunnery Commando, I find that I could wreck people during release week but as more and more people get to 50 and are getting geared up, they are starting to focus me a lot more and the burst damage from the geared people usually drops me in seconds.

Hide in the corner and hope that the melee classes don't notice your or you will become a smear on the floor. Our escape mechanics are a joke and we just have to hope that we kill them before they kill us. If concussion charge is up I can usually do fine against a lone melee but if 2 or more get on me I pretty much just prepare to hit the respawn button.

Edited by Barakus

As a 41 Gunnery Commando, I find that I could wreck people during release week but as more and more people get to 50 and are getting geared up, they are starting to focus me a lot more and the burst damage from the geared people usually drops me in seconds.

Hide in the corner and hope that the melee classes don't notice your or you will become a smear on the floor. Our escape mechanics are a joke and we just have to hope that we kill them before they kill us. If concussion charge is up I can usually do fine against a lone melee but if 2 or more get on me I pretty much just prepare to hit the respawn button.

Essentially this. The current state of balance in PvP has melee absolutely wrecking targets when they get on them. With roughly 20% expertise, I had a 46 IA kill me in 2 stuns. My stun break was down so he essentially had free reign to kill me since he caught me without a teammate nearby. Even if you do live through their initial stun (leaves you at 60% hp, less if you're lower level), they have interupts and large amounts of sustained damage.

What you need as a commando to do have an effective match in a warzone is a healer watching out for you, a good vantage point where you're less likely to be noticed and where you can knock people off of if they attack you, or a tank to baby-sit you with guard. You CAN go rambo style and kill everyone if they ignore you, but it happens less and less often as people are learning what each class is capable of and as people are gearing up.

• 2 weeks later...
Essentially this. The current state of balance in PvP has melee absolutely wrecking targets when they get on them. With roughly 20% expertise, I had a 46 IA kill me in 2 stuns. My stun break was down so he essentially had free reign to kill me since he caught me without a teammate nearby. Even if you do live through their initial stun (leaves you at 60% hp, less if you're lower level), they have interupts and large amounts of sustained damage.

What you need as a commando to do have an effective match in a warzone is a healer watching out for you, a good vantage point where you're less likely to be noticed and where you can knock people off of if they attack you, or a tank to baby-sit you with guard. You CAN go rambo style and kill everyone if they ignore you, but it happens less and less often as people are learning what each class is capable of and as people are gearing up.

Agree, and to add to our nightmare, many melee have learned now how easy we are, and search us out. I've had many melee go way out of their way to find me off in a corner or high on a ramp. If they get to you we don't have enough CDs get get them off. The only way your going to win that battle is if the melee is bad or you have a lot more PvP gear. PvP gear has also become an "I win", and there is a lot of it out there now.. If your not 50 in PvP gear...GL.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.