Bioware, your new referral promotion brings out the worst of people...

Alec_Fortescue

I wouldn't call it a scam. Just deceiving people into being generous. I've never done it, but if they're dumb enough to believe someone's actually going to pay them 3 million credits to click a referral link, that's their problem. I'd hate to see them in the real world. They don't lose anything by clicking the link; they actually benefit from doing so.

The best way to handle that is if they offer 3 million for you to click on their link then ask them to give you 1 or 1.5 m up front before you click on the link.

Yea there is a chance that person isn't going to click on the link but that also helps to determine who is actually honest about the links.

There are so many scammers around taking advantage of new players it's just unbelievable. Deception, manipulation, lies. Drama is real. What's funniest is that the promotion is aimed at players who are not subscribed but it is the subs who try to take advantage of it.

Hmmm. The cynic in me thinks you don't like the extra competition in getting refer a friend links. Why worry about what other players are doing, half the time I completely ignore in-game chat.

I wouldn't call it a scam. Just deceiving people into being generous. I've never done it, but if they're dumb enough to believe someone's actually going to pay them 3 million credits to click a referral link, that's their problem. I'd hate to see them in the real world. They don't lose anything by clicking the link; they actually benefit from doing so.

In the past if you could prove the offer (screenshot) and it wasn't paid BWA would actually take action of making it so you could use someone else's referral again and removing CC from the offending party but now I wonder if it's "too hard basket",

oh no, someone got scammed into not having to pay for sub time for a week. so devastating. this has got to be the most life- ruining scam i have ever heard of. better start calling lawyers guys.

i really don't understand why people think those people are getting scammed. they wanted a free week so they clicked a referral link. nobody forced them to, they made that decision. maybe they just wanted the free week. why do people care so much about what other people do?

and if someone offers to pay and they don't, well i guess that's how you learn with how to deal with sketchy internet offers. better to learn it with some stupid referral link than with something real.

Edited by mitchsts

oh no, someone got scammed into not having to pay for sub time for a week. so devastating. this has got to be the most life- ruining scam i have ever heard of. better start calling lawyers guys.

i really don't understand why people think those people are getting scammed. they wanted a free week so they clicked a referral link. nobody forced them to, they made that decision. maybe they just wanted the free week. why do people care so much about what other people do?

and if someone offers to pay and they don't, well i guess that's how you learn with how to deal with sketchy internet offers. better to learn it with some stupid referral link than with something real.

The obvious issue here is the person who offered their referral link made a promise to pay the individual X amount of credits. If you fail to actually pay those credits and just get the referral clicks to get an easy CC and other items, you are scamming players and benefiting from your lies. That is not acceptable behavior and nobody should be praising it or suggesting it's even remotely justified.

The obvious issue here is the person who offered their referral link made a promise to pay the individual X amount of credits. If you fail to actually pay those credits and just get the referral clicks to get an easy CC and other items, you are scamming players and benefiting from your lies. That is not acceptable behavior and nobody should be praising it or suggesting it's even remotely justified.

If someone said they'd give me a free car if I pick up a $100 bill on the ground, I wouldn't be too upset if it turned out they were lying. I still have $100. Moral of the story, the victims have no reason to be complaining other than greed. They shouldn't be trying to make money off something so ridiculous anyway. I haven't an ounce of sympathy for any of them.

The whole system as it works and doesn't work is a farce. It shouldn't work with already subscribed accounts at all, but someone's too lazy to fix it. :rolleyes:

And I don't really get why they're not fixing it. They're handing out 450cc codes like they're something so super special, yet let people earn a multitude of that amount for free by referring current subscribers. :rak_02:

The whole system as it works and doesn't work is a farce. It shouldn't work with already subscribed accounts at all, but someone's too lazy to fix it. :rolleyes:

And I don't really get why they're not fixing it. They're handing out 450cc codes like they're something so super special, yet let people earn a multitude of that amount for free by referring current subscribers. :rak_02:

aye and ref clicks shouldnt grant CC at all.

Dont know why ppl getting mad or ignoring ppl who advertise their links. Because im paying sub, im buying CC by bucks and gain nothing from my link coz its made for F2P ppl and im just helping them to get stuff. 1-2-3 subs who pressed my link (in 2-3 months) its nothing compares to my currency lol

And why players making drama and all stuff? ill pay for click - lolwut?? you helping to get comfortable as much as you can and should pay for this? or payin subs for clicks? thats bullstuff. Even now, when ppl get 500 CC from clicking on link...insanity

Well, I always pay 500k whenever someone new messages me their forum screen name that they used my link as long as they're on Jedi Covenant. It's easy to confirm and a reasonable price to pay. I usually only mention it to people I'm running with as standing around fleet advertising is super boring. I also warn people away from the starter world hucksters that offer nothing hoping to snag people before they reach fleet. Those guys suck.

The only enforceable contracts in SWTOR use the trading and GTN systems. Every other form of bargaining relies on trust. I would not trust random strangers on the internet. If one does and does not get the benefit of their bargain, then that's on them.

Honestly though, if you expect payment for clicking a referral link, then there little sympathy that can be had from me. You do get tangible benefits from clicking the link. If you also get credits, great, more power to you. But it does not seem like a tragedy to me if you don't.

For me i just always give 25% of the credits up front then the rest after the click, that way there if they run off not clicking i dont lose credits, and i always pay them :D because im honest and frankly i give out freebie credits to new players if i see there new on a starting world to help them out a bit.

For me i just always give 25% of the credits up front then the rest after the click, that way there if they run off not clicking i dont lose credits, and i always pay them :D because im honest and frankly i give out freebie credits to new players if i see there new on a starting world to help them out a bit.

... you do lose credits ... 25% of the credits you offered?

aye and ref clicks shouldnt grant CC at all.

it must work or they would not be doing it obviously... I can go to my friends of SWTOR page right now and show where probably 20% of people who used my link became subs... FOR BW/EA that is a system that works.... your statement is based on nothing but opinion.

The only enforceable contracts in SWTOR use the trading and GTN systems. Every other form of bargaining relies on trust. I would not trust random strangers on the internet. If one does and does not get the benefit of their bargain, then that's on them.

Honestly though, if you expect payment for clicking a referral link, then there little sympathy that can be had from me. You do get tangible benefits from clicking the link. If you also get credits, great, more power to you. But it does not seem like a tragedy to me if you don't.

Its kind of like forming a pug to do an op, getting to the last boss and switching to master looter. you got to go through the op, stop complaining.

Antisocial behavior is what this scamming is. if you do it in game, most likely you screw people over in rl. the people excusing it seem to be of like minds. Screwing people is ok as long as it isnt them.