Other game suggestions

kirorx

I came here after SWG, so I have pretty much only played Starwars based MMOs because I love all things Star Wars.

Now with the new gearing system, I am going to try a new game. I will still be playing free story stuff here, but I can't play everyday all day to get end game gear, so it's just not reasonable to stick around on a paid sub.

What other MMOs are pretty solid these days?

I tried warcraft, but the animation was never really appealing. Unless it's something that grows on you.

Anything more open world would be pretty cool, I thought maybe everquest but is the future of that game? What about guild wars?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :cool:

Edited by kirorx

Hum...I tried GW2 for story and it was..Urgh...written by a 5 years old . Also unlike most stories where you are the hero lol in GW2 you are the sidekick of the heroes . And they have no alignement , no options to join evil faction or anything like that . With that said , the world is BIG . They have a better community because every action in the game has a reward attached to it .

You log everyday ? then everyday you get a reward . You have been around for a year ? then you get a present for that . You wanna craft ? then you get XP for crafting . Heck you can craft all day and level that way and none will rage at you lol . You wanna play with Dye and color ? they are a drop and you can buy some or never buy some either way , you get alot of color and you can switch anytime you want without destroying your gear . The npc dont stand there forever either , they move around . It's very pretty I give them that , but I found it very Boring .

The gameplay also is very...complicated . I tried to wrap my brain around it but....Muh . And when I ask question I get the ''Play watever you want !'' then when you end up killed everyone tell you ''You need more POwer!' . *Roll eyes* the day they make up their mind on the same answer , I may give it a try again .

You also can play many species . Apparently it doesnt matter what specie can be since they can be everything you want . But if you are a role player , or like me..that is very irritating lol

There are no mount in GW2 at least not the last time I checked . You can teleport after you unlock a teleportation point . and it cost MONEY! So just run ! cose you be broke all the time if you do that .

They also have a system of day and Night . And they have special Boss that drop nice stuff , so peoples will farm them . Beware if your pc is weak , when you have 50 peoples rushing to kill the Boss , you better make sure you get a hit in or you get nothing .

============

The other MMO I know of and play is The Secret World . It has zombie and monster , and based on halloween stuff like . Two things I can say about The Secret world is : Their customer service IS THE BEST I ever seen . And the game is HARD . If you want a challenge then you be happy .

Both GW 2 and The Secret World are buy the game and never pay for a Sub . GW2 had an expansion you must buy but that is about it . The Secret World Sub is optional .

Have you looked at Secret World? Not a lot in common with Star Wars, I am afraid, but I find the scenery, animations and characters a lot more palatable than wow. It's also a lot more niche.

-modern setting

-amazing story

-interesting and involving quests

-have to buy, but has a free trial

-perks for subscription, but no obligation to do it

-earn currency in various ways to get (most) of your endgame stuff from vendor :p.

Also has an interesting take on character progression (you can learn every skill available on one character, but have 'loadouts' you can set up for different roles.

Edited by rheia

I fixed that for you.

And I believe there's dozens of those already on the net since the emulator is Open Sourced.

If anyone has a science fiction oriented MMO they would like to suggest, feel free to do so. Please kindly do not suggest STO.

Edited by dr_mike

I fixed that for you.

And I believe there's dozens of those already on the net since the emulator is Open Sourced.

If anyone has a science fiction oriented MMO they would like to suggest, feel free to do so. Please kindly do not suggest STO.

what is STO ? :rak_02:

not sure if defiance still going, I think it is? the only sci-fi mmo I could think of ,off the top of my head that's not on console.

personaly I'm mostly playing ESO nowadays. I love how genuinely open it feels thanks to scaling UP. there is a story there you can follow - well its personal story, then there's zone stories that continue from zone to zone, there are small sometimes unconnected minor stories within little quest areas and there's DLC stories. but you can also just.. go in just about any direction like you would in Skyrim.

I actualy enjoyed GW2 for a while and still occasionally play it. it has its moments and its issues. worth trying at least, since its essentially free to try for original game.

Secret world is interesting and different. you character is silent and you cannot really make story choices 99% of the time, but its very interesting if you like modern settings with strong lovecraftian/hidden societies undertones.

what is STO ? :rak_02:

Star Trek online.

Edited by Jeweledleah

not sure if defiance still going, I think it is? the only sci-fi mmo I could think of ,off the top of my head that's not on console.

personaly I'm mostly playing ESO nowadays. I love how genuinely open it feels thanks to scaling UP. there is a story there you can follow - well its personal story, then there's zone stories that continue from zone to zone, there are small sometimes unconnected minor stories within little quest areas and there's DLC stories. but you can also just.. go in just about any direction like you would in Skyrim.

I actualy enjoyed GW2 for a while and still occasionally play it. it has its moments and its issues. worth trying at least, since its essentially free to try for original game.

Secret world is interesting and different. you character is silent and you cannot really make story choices 99% of the time, but its very interesting if you like modern settings with strong lovecraftian/hidden societies undertones.

Star Trek online.

and what is ESO ?

LOL why peoples don't type the full name......:p

Elder scrolls online. becasue typing 3 letters is faster and most people are aware what all these abbreviations mean :p

Ohhh...

well it is a shame lol cose I don't use abbreviation and always type the full name . So when peoples do...I have no idea what they are saying . Even if I own the game lol .

I heard about that one but you gotta Sub for it right ? and it's Elder scroll....not my cup of tea considering I hated SkyLame .

Thanx ! :)

Ohhh...

well it is a shame lol cose I don't use abbreviation and always type the full name . So when peoples do...I have no idea what they are saying . Even if I own the game lol .

I heard about that one but you gotta Sub for it right ? and it's Elder scroll....not my cup of tea considering I hated SkyLame .

Thanx ! :)

no need to subscribe. its better if you do, but it has almost no restrictions especially compared to swtor. subscription only gives you acess to couple of awesome conveniences and acess to all the DLC's as long as you stay subscribed, plus crown(cartel coin equivalent) allowance, but you can also just buy individual DLC's as you go. it IS buy to play though, however, if you didn't like Skyrim (which lets not call it names - not your cup of tea=/=bad) you probably won't like ESO.

using abbreviations is very much a common practice online.

no need to subscribe. its better if you do, but it has almost no restrictions especially compared to swtor. subscription only gives you acess to couple of awesome conveniences and acess to all the DLC's as long as you stay subscribed, plus crown(cartel coin equivalent) allowance, but you can also just buy individual DLC's as you go. it IS buy to play though, however, if you didn't like Skyrim (which lets not call it names - not your cup of tea=/=bad) you probably won't like ESO.

using abbreviations is very much a common practice online.

haha I mean no offence , but I have a tendancy to rename everything :p

So it is f2p now ? Hum.....I though it was Sub only .

Yeah , I played all elder scroll and save for Oblivion that I liked I didnt like the others . Skyrim maybe pretty but its very very boring . And the game crash so much .

It's mostly the open world that bore me . That whole ''Do watever'' . I'm a story driven person , give me a goal ! give me a vilain to chase and I be happy like a bunny ! Open world games are overwhelming to me . Thats why in Fallout 4 I did the main story and then bailed . which was good but very short .

haha I mean no offence , but I have a tendancy to rename everything :p

So it is f2p now ? Hum.....I though it was Sub only .

Yeah , I played all elder scroll and save for Oblivion that I liked I didnt like the others . Skyrim maybe pretty but its very very boring . And the game crash so much .

It's mostly the open world that bore me . That whole ''Do watever'' . I'm a story driven person , give me a goal ! give me a vilain to chase and I be happy like a bunny ! Open world games are overwhelming to me . Thats why in Fallout 4 I did the main story and then bailed . which was good but very short .

well buy to play, since you still need to buy the game, you just don't need to subscribe. and well if its the story specifically (I mean I enjoyed the side quests and stuff with Skyrim as well) but basically ESO does have a LOT of story that guides you along if you so wish (I haven't finished Altmeri dominion story yet, but its quite fascinating to me just very expansive and I keep getting distracted by shinies, but I also enjoyed the little vignettes you find along the way - think those smallish side quests you get down on planets). it just also gives you an option to just go of and do whatever and its a perfectly viable way to play :) unfortunately you JUST missed the free weekend, but you can find the base game pretty cheaply. green man has it for $23, someone here I think bought it for half that? found a new copy on amazon for 18.50. there are options if you wish to pursue them. while your character is silent, npc's are all voiced and at least partly animated.

well buy to play, since you still need to buy the game, you just don't need to subscribe. and well if its the story specifically (I mean I enjoyed the side quests and stuff with Skyrim as well) but basically ESO does have a LOT of story that guides you along if you so wish (I haven't finished Altmeri dominion story yet, but its quite fascinating to me just very expansive and I keep getting distracted by shinies, but I also enjoyed the little vignettes you find along the way - think those smallish side quests you get down on planets). it just also gives you an option to just go of and do whatever and its a perfectly viable way to play :) unfortunately you JUST missed the free weekend, but you can find the base game pretty cheaply. green man has it for $23, someone here I think bought it for half that? found a new copy on amazon for 18.50. there are options if you wish to pursue them. while your character is silent, npc's are all voiced and at least partly animated.

Hum..I don't know . How would you compare the story to Skyrim ?

Cose in Skyrim and god know I really did try to give it a chance , to no avail . I played a warrior and joined the companions . Even went further and become a werewolf , and that was fun for a bit then I got bored . Then I made a Altemer Mage and joined the college of Mage . I also did all the quest for them (as well for the companions) , and again......I got bored .

Then I though maybe I'm doing it wrong . So I went and did that whole Vampire stuff dlc ? I even brough a house and build it which took forever . But again , the whole nothing stay still and being attacked by a fork lol everytime I enter my house was underwhelming . I then decided that's also maybe not it..maybe I gotta go chase those dragon and Shout ? So I did..I activated the mission and found killing dragon a pain in the behind . Idiots running around and (with mods) Still get in my way . I tried getting those Shout..but again..too many skills..(overwhelming for me ) .

In the end , I found out hunting for mods and installing them (Had 277 mods installed lol took me forever to make them work fine ) was more fun then actually playing the game :p

So knowing this.......how does it compare ? Cose truth be told I'm curious merely . Since I don't want another MMo and I'm merely killing time in Swtor...waiting for Mass effect Andromeda .

honestly? I'm not sure how to asnwer that? there are differences in set up, but as someone whose biggest issue with Skyrim was potato looking people (without mods) /shrug. I.. think storytelling as a bit more cohesive in ESO. but its very much a personal opinion.

and I gotcha. I haven't pre-ordered Andromeda yet, but I'm reasonably sure I will. mostly waiting to see if greenmangaming might get it in for pre-orders and offer 20% off like they do sometimes. otherwise, I'll just grab it off origin few days before release (kinda prefer digital actualy, and its not like they are going to run out of digital copies on origin)

Going into ESO you should know that after you level your character to 50, you then need to earn nearly 600 champion points to be on par with other players. The points can be allocated into different stat boosts and buffs in the same way you can spend skill points in skyrim with the different constellations - but the difference between zero points and cap is ridiculous, especially in pvp.

I got bored with the game and stopped playing around 300 cp, and i met ppl who refused to play pvp at cap and instead kept making alts to stay in the lowbie pvp campaign where cp is disabled.

Aside from the cp, the game is just incredibly grindy. Everything requires a grind. My fighter's guild rank was lvl 8 and a half after completing the FG questline and the ability i wanted required rank 10 to unlock, and I spent 10 hours grinding the one type of mob in the game that will increase FG rank (only those mobs will do it) enough, and then I still had to unlock the version of the ability I wanted, and then raise that new ability to the highest rank.

Basically, **** ESO. I was playing on xbox one where communication was limited to short range voice chat most of the time, so finding a guild was rough and even then a lot of players dont even use headsets. Maybe on pc with a better guild/communication it would make the grinding more bearable, but i dunno.

If you want to check it out first, I'd recommend watching Fengrush or SypherPK on twitch.

Edited by DrewFromPhilly

I tried warcraft, but the animation was never really appealing. Unless it's something that grows on you.

From personal experience I can say that for me, it grew on me over time. I don't even notice it anymore bar for a few hours or a day, after returning to WoW when I've been playing something else.

I've also played Rift in the past which does have some plus sides and things I wouldn't mind seeing implemented in SWTOR but story wise in my opinion it's rather bleak. It has somewhat of a lore aspect but nothing that every really appealed to me too much. I enjoy the combat and classes though and like I said, they do have some nifty futures. Dyes for example are account unlockable so once you obtain a certain color/tint, you'll never have to buy it again. Server transfers are, last I checked, free and I love their costume system as well. Just a few perks that speak to me personally anyhows.

Other than that I don't have much experience with other MMO's. Warcraft, Rift and SWTOR are the ones I've played most.. did ESO beta but couldn't really get into it somehow. Not tried Skyrim or any of the others mentioned.

Going into ESO you should know that after you level your character to 50, you then need to earn nearly 600 champion points to be on par with other players. The points can be allocated into different stat boosts and buffs in the same way you can spend skill points in skyrim with the different constellations - but the difference between zero points and cap is ridiculous, especially in pvp.

I got bored with the game and stopped playing around 300 cp, and i met ppl who refused to play pvp at cap and instead kept making alts to stay in the lowbie pvp campaign where cp is disabled.

Aside from the cp, the game is just incredibly grindy. Everything requires a grind. My fighter's guild rank was lvl 8 and a half after completing the FG questline and the ability i wanted required rank 10 to unlock, and I spent 10 hours grinding the one type of mob in the game that will increase FG rank (only those mobs will do it) enough, and then I still had to unlock the version of the ability I wanted, and then raise that new ability to the highest rank.

Basically, **** ESO. I was playing on xbox one where communication was limited to short range voice chat most of the time, so finding a guild was rough and even then a lot of players dont even use headsets. Maybe on pc with a better guild/communication it would make the grinding more bearable, but i dunno.

If you want to check it out first, I'd recommend watching Fengrush or SypherPK on twitch.

maybe becasue I'm playing casually and don't really pvp? but I literally don't feel compelled to force champion point gain, especially above 160. yes, those passives are pretty great, but nothing I've done so far, and that includes trials made it impossible for me to play at lower champ levels. I also found that most things just level on their own while I'm playing normally. the only time I did anything that could be considered grinding was during the halloween event when I was trying to collect all the hollowjack rewards.

maybe its the difference between PC and xbox communities.. I don't know. I play on PC. though.. 2 out of 3 of my guilds and the ones I actualy found on my own, was through official forums https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/en-pc-mac-na (there is an xbox version as well, seems to be pretty active from a glance) third one is a trading guild that I got random whisper to join and figured, oh what the heck. have yet to regret it so far.

ESO does require a lot of patience and time investment. the difference that I'm seeing between ESO today and SWTOR today is that I feel far more rewarded for just about anything I do in ESO, while in SWTOR I feel discouraged because my progress right now is actualy far FAR slower than it is in ESO.

Final Fantasy XIV has nice art style, you can be all classes on one character (one of my favorite aspects of the game). Yes, you have to level them all up individually, so it'd be like Inquisitor and Warrior on one character, but if you get to level 14 on Warrior, that doesn't mean Inquisitor is level 14. Only reason I quit it, was because I got tired of soloing in it. Just never found the right guild I guess. However, it's very solo friendly too, they have a good system going that gets others to PuG.

WildStar. Loved the art style, loved the game play, even loved the story, at the time I quit it, it was very much a full time raiders game, and again, couldn't find a guild I liked and nice outfits locked behind the content. It's gone F2P now and may have changed on some of that.

Tera. Another game I love the art style on and the game play :) I could solo it just fine, but again, like to find a good guild to interact with people and all I joined would end up dying :/

Blade & Soul. Only reason I quit this one was, my guild died and couldn't find a good replacement one. Art style is love and the combat is great :) You will have to PvP in this one at some point.

WoW. Who doesn't know about WoW? Personally, for me, it's boring solo and I never got a friend to duo it with me. :( To bad too, I like the art style. Gameplay I didn't think was all that great, but I don't really understand the hate people have for it sometimes :p

Star Trek Online. I hear good things on this one, but I've never played it. Never will, untill they give me the option to make a human with cat ears (cat tail would be nice too). However, when that does become an option, I'm so going to try it out!