Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Here's what a truly BAD launch looks like

Alyxa

Lol You could have downloaded a while ago, I saw no ques at all at my buddies place, and guess what this isnt a launch lol. The game launch is set at 12/20 US 12/22 EU, this is an early access they are allowing people into, not because your owed but because they allow you. And if you have ever launched ANY other mmo you would expect issues. Fail post FTL, way to go.

Just a wild guess. You live to gank lowbies on a pvp server.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you prefer the scenario of the original poster? Bioware did this for a REASON. Many MMOs had a launch similar or even worse to that described by the OP. Bioware has done an awesome job in my opinion (Also not in game yet).

i would totally prefer that then it would be possible to reserve names and then even chill for a couple of days while servers are getting stable,

You're allowed to download the game client starting the day before launch. It takes you the better part of a day because everyone and their grandmother and their dog are all trying to get the game installed before launch.

You finally get the game installed and fired up. You log in. You're #785 in a queue. It takes 3 hours to get into the game.

You get into the game, but the server lag is freaking terrible. Like you can't even move. You get disconnected.

You have to log in again, but LUCKILY you don't have to wait in queue again. You get into the game, but then the server crashes.

2 hours later you get an update on the game launcher from an hour ago saying that they'll have an update in 30 minutes. Ho hum. Servers down. For forever. Wasted Pizza Hutt and Full Throttles. Never really know *** happened.

When the servers do finally come back up (the next morning), you get in and everything seems good. Except there are 20 people sitting on a quest giver, making him unclickable. And then you have to go fight over mob spawns against 20 other people. Then you get to the part of the quest where you kill "the big guy" and you're stuck waiting to get your quest kill of ONE MOB, while you're getting ganked, and that stupid warrior's charge tagged the mob before you could get off a moonfire.

You finally get your quest kill and you have to go digging through a stack of players AGAIN to turn in your quest.

And then you get a game announcement saying that they're doing a server rollback.

So an hour later after they finally get the servers back up when it should have taken 15 minutes, you have to deal with 20 people camping the same mob YOU ALREADY KILLED while you're getting ganked and that stupid warrior's charge tagged the mob before you could get off a moonfire, and then you have to go digging through a stack of players again AGAIN to turn in your quest AGAIN.

So...

Am I a little frustrated that other people are playing the game that I'm DYING to play? Yes.

Am I frustrated that BW apparently decided to call it a day early and stop sending out waves for 16 and a half hours? Yes.

Could they have done this some other, better, way? Probably.

But "the worst launch ever"? I'm sorry, but no. BW made it known from DAY ONE that not everyone was getting into the game on day one of early access. And if it means that I don't have to sit for four hours in a queue so the servers can crash before I have to fight 50 people for the same respawns so they can rollback the servers and I have to do it all over again, then... Okay.

Is this your first mmo? If it is, then your concerns are understandable, however, if it's not then, what the hell are you complaining about? Every single mmo that's been released has had similar "issues" regarding over population, unstable connections, the whole lot. What's happening in the game is nothing new, and it's not something to be complaining about, it's a completely normal thing for an mmo game to experience.

You're allowed to download the game client starting the day before launch. It takes you the better part of a day because everyone and their grandmother and their dog are all trying to get the game installed before launch.

You finally get the game installed and fired up. You log in. You're #785 in a queue. It takes 3 hours to get into the game.

You get into the game, but the server lag is freaking terrible. Like you can't even move. You get disconnected.

You have to log in again, but LUCKILY you don't have to wait in queue again. You get into the game, but then the server crashes.

2 hours later you get an update on the game launcher from an hour ago saying that they'll have an update in 30 minutes. Ho hum. Servers down. For forever. Wasted Pizza Hutt and Full Throttles. Never really know *** happened.

When the servers do finally come back up (the next morning), you get in and everything seems good. Except there are 20 people sitting on a quest giver, making him unclickable. And then you have to go fight over mob spawns against 20 other people. Then you get to the part of the quest where you kill "the big guy" and you're stuck waiting to get your quest kill of ONE MOB, while you're getting ganked, and that stupid warrior's charge tagged the mob before you could get off a moonfire.

You finally get your quest kill and you have to go digging through a stack of players AGAIN to turn in your quest.

And then you get a game announcement saying that they're doing a server rollback.

So an hour later after they finally get the servers back up when it should have taken 15 minutes, you have to deal with 20 people camping the same mob YOU ALREADY KILLED while you're getting ganked and that stupid warrior's charge tagged the mob before you could get off a moonfire, and then you have to go digging through a stack of players again AGAIN to turn in your quest AGAIN.

So...

Am I a little frustrated that other people are playing the game that I'm DYING to play? Yes.

Am I frustrated that BW apparently decided to call it a day early and stop sending out waves for 16 and a half hours? Yes.

But "the worst launch ever"? I'm sorry, but no. BW made it known from DAY ONE that not everyone was getting into the game on day one of early access. And if it means that I don't have to sit for four hours in a queue so the servers can crash before I have to fight 50 people for the same respawns so they can rollback the servers and I have to do it all over again, then... Okay.

exactly which game are you describing? Because I have never experienced this in any AAA MMO since 1999 with Everquest 1...maybe its your connection? Try resetting your router...

They have created a massive queue for everyone who didn't hear about this game on July. Your position is ???, and you have ??? until you can play.

Well said. The uncertainty is certainly one of the worst aspects of this launch.

Hey Original Poster, Are you a Moron.

If 3 Million people play today, or 3 million people play on the 20th its still 3 million people.

The only thing this does is allow players to get out of the starting Area's before launch, but most of them will reroll and start new characters anyhow.

Its just plain silly.

So is this how it will be when there is an expansion? I get to wait my turn? I cant wait for that, its gonna rock!

You'd seriously quit a game over something so trivial?

my name´s ? yeah i would, i did quit eve online when they forced me to change my chars avatar, i didnt feel the connection to my char anymore, not getting my names would have the same exact effect

no it´s not since you can preorder almost until official launch, but making it about who preordered first is very unfair because not all hang on these forums everyday, and then there are vacation´s and stuff maybe when the announcement came out, preordering is all about getting in first hand to reserve names. if i wont get my names on the server my guild was assigned to then i´m not sure about putting my retail key in, will probably not do it, my names are very important to me, my char is very important to me, this is a game where i would spend alot of time,

Surely, you will find another timewaster where your name is available. Good luck!

Nope, there are two separate charges. One for $5, one for $75. How can you see my bank statement!? HACKER!

You have brown on your nose, fanboy. I wouldn't breathe through it if I were you.

I can't see yours, but I can see mine, where it says:

11/30/2011 EA * Origin.com 855-674-4461 -$86.49

11/30/2011 EA * Origin.com 855-674-4461 +$86.49

11/30/2011 EA * Origin.com 855-674-4461 -$5.40

Meaning they 1.) Checked to see that I'm not a deadbeat and actually can afford the game, 2.) Credited me back the FULL amount as they cannot charge for a service or product not yet rendered, 3.) Deducted $5 plus tax, the pre-order fee entitling (there's that awesome word) me to access on December 20th with 30 days subscription, which they will charge to the same account on that day.

Edited by Priestiality

Another victim of marketing.

Early game access is exclusive with a definite cut-off date and no throttling of customers. See Rift and many other games. This is not early game access. The game has launched by their own words. Read it. Let it sink in.

The "early game access" is a marketing ploy to cover for a staggered release in order to attempt to prevent negative press/customer reaction from the inevitable queues and lag that will ensue when the rest of us get access. There is no reason for it other than delaying the inevitable. Pushing a problem away won't fix it.

They have created a massive queue for everyone who didn't hear about this game on July. Your position is ???, and you have ??? until you can play.

I am convinced we are at launch, so hey how about you put in your access code from the retail copy of the game and let us know how it is. Oh that is right you cannot, because "official" launch is not until Dec 20th.

exactly which game are you describing? Because I have never experienced this in any AAA MMO since 1999 with Everquest 1...maybe its your connection? Try resetting your router...

He is talking about Wow of course.

totaly true.. and im very sorry about preordering this game because some of my friends start playing tonight and some of them gonna start tomorrow. we cant even lvl together or do quests togather. we just gonna meet at lvl 50. what a mmo

hope gw2 comes out fast

They really don't sound like friends do they? If they were they would wait for your ***.

The "early game access" is a marketing ploy

It's only a marketing ploy if you don't know how to read.

Call it what you want, a launch, a dead cat, the point is - BW set the rules and you accepted them by buying the game. If you don't like them, you should not have done that.

They really don't sound like friends do they? If they were they would wait for your ***.

Agreed. Two of my friends are in because they pre ordered, my ******* is waiting because i did not decide until 8/20, however they are not playing because we are leveling together. its nice to have decent friends.

So, question for those who are complaining that people getting in before them have an unfair advantage. Do you also think it's unfair that those who preordered get the advantage of several days head start over those who didn't?

So what you'r asking is that it might be unfair if people that have bought the game get in before those that have not bought the game yet?

Tricky question that one.

Another victim of marketing.

Early game access is exclusive with a definite cut-off date and no throttling of customers. See Rift and many other games. This is not early game access. The game has launched by their own words. Read it. Let it sink in.

This is a big day for us; we are launching Star Wars™: The Old Republic™,

LAUNCHING is NOT the same as LAUNCHED. LAUNCHED is a past tense, LAUNCHING is a present tense. I know grammar is not the most popular skill on the internet, but dear lord learn the difference!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grammatical_tense

You must have missed Burning Crusade.

And on top of that they set the game requirements too low so if you have the exact requirements it states then you can't play it because it is nothing but lag. So now I come to find out I payed over $50+ to play a game for 7 days before release day that lied about the requirements and it is unplayable. Bioware only cares about making money they've shown that through all the constant lies.

Eh. I like the route BioWare is taking. Server stability is very important. As far as people having an advantage? One guy in here put it well. Grab a cold beer and relax. I was in the beta. I'll out level any of the people who are just now tasting the game ahead of me.

*breaks out Yuengling*

You do know that the full launch hasn't happened yet and it's a staggered early access....lol Some people will complain no matter what gets released. I saw someone say this is the worst launch ever....they haven't got a clue. WoW had a horrid launch, at it was polished in time (some agree/disgree), Shadowbane was a disaster...all hype no delivery, and many others had horrible launches. Some did it right such as LOTRO and Rift. Very smooth. Talk to Age of Conan and Vanguard players how launch went there. Bioware is doing just fine. Sure there are problems...there always will be. As for populations...wait until the 20th....it will explode....you know...when the game launches officially to the masses. Until then, quit crying and whining about everything that is wrong, and just relax and play the game lol. Any game out there you can pick apart if you want to, might as well concentrate on the good things. *sigh*

You cannot judge a staggered access to SWTOR's launch as a success until everyone is in the game. And when that happens it will be exactly like every other mmo, unstable servers, crashing, large server queues. Who knows I could be largely mistaken but I would rather have tried to see how well the servers could handle a beating rather than admitting their servers cannot handle the volume and putting 1/6th of their orders in on the first day.

just my 2 cents

(the 1/6th comes from Rockjaw's post about how everyone will receive at least one day head start, in conjunction with the statement on how they have pre-decided how many waves [first day 4 with one bonus to seem 'kind'] will be released per day... meaning them saying they have no idea when you will get in is a completely fabricated story.)

So...

At least you got to make a character. Im forced to wait for days before they finally decide im worthy of EGA.

BC's launch was epic! Queue, logged in, loot locked, server down! Another queue, logged back in, your character has time traveled thirty minutes into the past! Ah, memories.

Yeah, I was talking about the rollbacks a few pages back. Glad to see some people actually remember. Especially for the people that were leveling Draenies / Blood elves XD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.