Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Here's what a truly BAD launch looks like

Alyxa

You're allowed to download the game client starting the day before launch. It takes you the better part of a day because everyone and their grandmother and their dog are all trying to get the game installed before launch.

You finally get the game installed and fired up. You log in. You're #785 in a queue. It takes 3 hours to get into the game.

You get into the game, but the server lag is freaking terrible. Like you can't even move. You get disconnected.

You have to log in again, but LUCKILY you don't have to wait in queue again. You get into the game, but then the server crashes.

2 hours later you get an update on the game launcher from an hour ago saying that they'll have an update in 30 minutes. Ho hum. Servers down. For forever. Wasted Pizza Hutt and Full Throttles. Never really know *** happened.

When the servers do finally come back up (the next morning), you get in and everything seems good. Except there are 20 people sitting on a quest giver, making him unclickable. And then you have to go fight over mob spawns against 20 other people. Then you get to the part of the quest where you kill "the big guy" and you're stuck waiting to get your quest kill of ONE MOB, while you're getting ganked, and that stupid warrior's charge tagged the mob before you could get off a moonfire.

You finally get your quest kill and you have to go digging through a stack of players AGAIN to turn in your quest.

And then you get a game announcement saying that they're doing a server rollback.

So an hour later after they finally get the servers back up when it should have taken 15 minutes, you have to deal with 20 people camping the same mob YOU ALREADY KILLED while you're getting ganked and that stupid warrior's charge tagged the mob before you could get off a moonfire, and then you have to go digging through a stack of players again AGAIN to turn in your quest AGAIN.

So...

Am I a little frustrated that other people are playing the game that I'm DYING to play? Yes.

Am I frustrated that BW apparently decided to call it a day early and stop sending out waves for 16 and a half hours? Yes.

Could they have done this some other, better, way? Probably.

But "the worst launch ever"? I'm sorry, but no. BW made it known from DAY ONE that not everyone was getting into the game on day one of early access. And if it means that I don't have to sit for four hours in a queue so the servers can crash before I have to fight 50 people for the same respawns so they can rollback the servers and I have to do it all over again, then... Okay.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You're allowed to download the game client starting the day before launch. It takes you the better part of a day because everyone and their grandmother and their dog are all trying to get the game installed before launch.

You finally get the game installed and fired up. You log in. You're #785 in a queue. It takes 3 hours to get into the game...

No that sounds like a regular MMO launch. One where mostly everyone is in the same situation.

You finally get the game installed and fired up. You log in. You're #785 in a queue. It takes 3 hours to get into the game.

You get into the game, but the server lag is freaking terrible. Like you can't even move. You get disconnected.

You have to log in again, but LUCKILY you don't have to wait in queue again. You get into the game, but then the server crashes.

2 hours later you get an update on the game launcher from an hour ago saying that they'll have an update in 30 minutes. Ho hum. Servers down. For forever. Wasted Pizza Hutt and Full Throttles. Never really know *** happened.

When the servers do finally come back up (the next morning), you get in and everything seems good. Except there are 20 people sitting on a quest giver, making him unclickable. And then you have to go fight over mob spawns against 20 other people. Then you get to the part of the quest where you kill "the big guy" and you're stuck waiting to get your quest kill of ONE MOB, while you're getting ganked, and that stupid warrior's charge tagged the mob before you could get off a moonfire.

You finally get your quest kill and you have to go digging through a stack of players AGAIN to turn in your quest.

And then you get a game announcement saying that they're doing a server rollback.

So an hour later after they finally get the servers back up when it should have taken 15 minutes, you have to deal with 20 people camping the same mob YOU ALREADY KILLED while you're getting ganked and that stupid warrior's charge tagged the mob before you could get off a moonfire, and then you have to go digging through a stack of players again AGAIN to turn in your quest AGAIN.

So...

Am I a little frustrated that other people are playing the game that I'm DYING to play? Yes.

Am I frustrated that BW apparently decided to call it a day early and stop sending out waves for 16 and a half hours? Yes.

But "the worst launch ever"? I'm sorry, but no. BW made it known from DAY ONE that not everyone was getting into the game on day one of early access. And if it means that I don't have to sit for four hours in a queue so the servers can crash before I have to fight 50 people for the same respawns so they can rollback the servers and I have to do it all over again, then... Okay.

Lol You could have downloaded a while ago, I saw no ques at all at my buddies place, and guess what this isnt a launch lol. The game launch is set at 12/20 US 12/22 EU, this is an early access they are allowing people into, not because your owed but because they allow you. And if you have ever launched ANY other mmo you would expect issues. Fail post FTL, way to go.

Lol You could have downloaded a while ago, I saw no ques at all at my buddies place, and guess what this isnt a launch lol. The game launch is set at 12/20 US 12/22 EU, this is an early access they are allowing people into, not because your owed but because they allow you. And if you have ever launched ANY other mmo you would expect issues. Fail post FTL, way to go.

While I support you not QQing over the staggered launch, respectfully: read a book! You totally missed the point in the OP.

^^Jesus christ do you know how to read...

@OP: Good post and agree.

These forums have gone to ****. Never coming back here again... the community is mostly terrible.

@OP

Trust me those writhing in pain over not getting into day 1 hardly have the attention span to read your post.

The issue here seems to not be with BW; clearly, the issue is literacy.

Dude, did you actually READ what the OP wrote, or did you just skim it? Because if you actually read it and came away from it with that, then you have TERRIBLE comprehension skills and I feel sorry for you.

So...

Pretty much, been in so many launches that this one actually feels planned out. We'll all get to play soon anyhow.

Its truly amazing how people don't understand that the launch is on December 20th. They anticipated these types of issues which is one of the reasons they are even doing this. I hope every person QQing about not getting free play time cancels their game and goes back to WOW. sure there are issues but maybe also consider they are doing us all a favor in an attempt to minimize these problems by phasing us in. and If you say or think that Rift, WOW and all the rest did not have these issues on their actual Launch days your lieing I played them all on the first day.

The Last MMO Rift had a Perfect HeadStart Pre Launch they had at least 10k people all doing the same lowbie quests on deepstrike pvp server and the game didn't even crash once they reset it for like 2 minutes but that was about it...They dont even have half the money SWTOR had and it ran fine. If all you can let in is 2 weeks of preorders then your servers must be ****.

I want to go ahead an admit how big of an Idiot I AM for not reading all the way through and I retract the above statement:P Sorry to OP Im a moron

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.