Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

BW: Are you really not going to address your sub's concerns about comm xfer caps?

yellow_

It's not just me who's more important than the people whinging over this. It's everyone who appreciates this game for what it is. Everyone who doesn't ***** as soon as the game gets a tiny bit harder for them. Everyone who appreciates what Bioware has created and still creates.

Anyone who can't appreciate what Bioware does, well again, good riddance.

Let me put this in terms you understand. People that unsubscribed means less money for Bioware and if it like the ones that unsubscribed at the beginning- might lose the game - then what are you going to do. Each person that unsubscribes is a loss to bioware since they are back to relying on subs to fund the game. Less subscribers=Less money.

(and I don't pvp but I never will tell a person to leave or good riddance)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't have a lot of comms I can understand how some of these people are feeling. They grinded those comms for things and then for BW to do this was uncalled for and quite frankly unfair to these people.

Except they have all of November to take advantage of items still on the vendors for them to purchase, thus putting their coms to exactly the use you allude to here.

While they gave little notice before they made the coms bind to character with the last patch, they have in fact given everyone a full months notice of the conversion plan. Eric even encouraged players to actually invest in item purchases from the available vendors in game (both for coms and for crystals) in advance of the conversion date.

Let's be honest.. the unstated issue here is people wanting those coms to give them a quick leg up on gearing in 5.0 (either in getting CXP credit for them, or buying gear on specific alts after 5.0 drops) and the studio made it clear in advance that this will not happen.

Oh no some people are gonna unsub. Oh no what are we gonna do now. You seem to forget all the people who spends hundreds if not thousands on the cartel market who are not all subs some are just preferred accts

You also seem to forget what they are doing in 5.0. To get the commands crates you have to be a sub to get them so a lot of the preferred may just leave since all the higher tier of gear will be in the command crates and therefore those that don't have them will most likely not be accepted in flashpoints and operations and even in the new uprisings.. They are relying on getting more subs again.

Let me put this in terms you understand. People that unsubscribed means less money for Bioware and if it like the ones that unsubscribed at the beginning- might lose the game - then what are you going to do. Each person that unsubscribes is a loss to bioware since they are back to relying on subs to fund the game. Less subscribers=Less money.

That's a lot of hyperbole for an issue as trivial as losing some credits.

Strawmans about subscribers unsubscrbing and pretending you actually care if the studio gains/loses revenue in the process are absurd. None of us know, nor do any of us really genuinely care what their revenue stream is... other then to use it as a club to beat the studio with.

I'm quite confident that the studio knows it's revenue targets and has effective plans in place to actually achieve or exceed those targets. Much more so than any of us.. particularly those who like to use it to beat the studio up over anything and everything that is done to the game that somehow is considered "a slap in the face" to this, that, or the other person.

Especially when the smart move is to actually spend coms and credits on vendor items for future use or resale... which Eric has encouraged people to do in fact. Letting the studio do the conversion on 11/29 = the worst credit gain for players (even when they do not hit the conversion cap).

Players can actually monetize on their own, ahead of 11/29, and be way farther ahead on credits realized. I have to think people are either too lazy to take care of their own interests, or they just want to use the topic as yet another excuse to complain.

MMOs are imperfect and always offer challenges, both old and new, to players. The release of a new expac obsoleting token currencies is just one of many. I see such changes and imperfections as simple challenges for players to overcome and frankly most players can and do overcome and move forward.

If players are left with no alternative and the coms and crystals just went poof on 11/29... then I could agree with the both the premise and the fallacy of this thread topic (yet again). But that is simply not the case here.

Edited by Andryah

Might be the last straw for some. Some of these individuals have dealt with a lot of things with Bioware and this might just be the last straw for them. You just want to see it as trivial. Maybe by itself it might be but when you combine it with other issues they have had it could the the nail in the coffin for them to leave.

You also seem to forget what they are doing in 5.0. To get the commands crates you have to be a sub to get them so a lot of the preferred may just leave since all the higher tier of gear will be in the command crates and therefore those that don't have them will most likely not be accepted in flashpoints and operations and even in the new uprisings.. They are relying on getting more subs again.

And... people will want those crates, and will sub to get them, and revenue from subs will continue to flow.

Smart business move by the studio to put GC behind the sub wall in my view. Of course players who want it all for free will always disagree, and players who are upset about XYZ issue will conflate and contrive to make their issue pivotal to anything the studio does or does not do.

So.. will you continue to sub with 5.0, or will you finally make good on your ongoing promise to unsub if the studio does not listen to you? Sincere question. Is this the straw that breaks the camels back, or just the freshest of strawman positions taken?

Might be the last straw for some. Some of these individuals have dealt with a lot of things with Bioware and this might just be the last straw for them. You just want to see it as trivial. Maybe by itself it might be but when you combine it with other issues they have had it could the the nail in the coffin for them to leave.

This particular issue IS trivial, since any player bumping up against the 2M credit cap has the ability to monetize their token currencies ahead of 11/29... for a net yield of between 7 and 20M credits. Of course they have to get off their pitty pots and actually take action to secure their own interests.

The money spent in the cartel market has nothing to do with that. So your argument is moot.

It's not just me who's more important than the people whinging over this. It's everyone who appreciates this game for what it is. Everyone who doesn't ***** as soon as the game gets a tiny bit harder for them. Everyone who appreciates what Bioware has created and still creates.

Anyone who can't appreciate what Bioware does, well again, good riddance.

Do you think BW feels the same though? Do you think BW is saying good riddance? What if the "whiners" are twice as many of those that have the same mindset as you? You (along with many) are passionate about the game, but ito them it's a revenue stream. Any threat to their revenue stream they should be taken seriously, even if you don't.

I understand that people who are affected by this are upset. I would be as well.

But there is one question which I really don't understand:

* Why did some players pile up all those WZ comms throughout the years?

This leads to the following question:

* What did they originally plan to do with these comms? Just hoard them?

As I see it, hoarding WZ comms means that the player didn't need them.

That is fair enough, however, then I don't think that complaining about losing credits is valid. Because nothing was lost. Comms were unused, thus useless, thus worthless. So every credit they get now is bonus.

I do not mean this bad or in a mocking way. I honestly don't understand the issue. I always spend all kind of currencies I have as soon as possible (e. g. when I can afford the shiny I am after). After all, comms of all sorts come and go all the time in this game. Saving up on comms seems like a bad idea to me.

(And yes, I am aware that some players put all comms together to one char. For my argument, it does not matter whether one char had all the comms or they were spread on 10 chars. They remained unspent and I don't understand why.)

Edited by JattaGin

And... people will want those crates, and will sub to get them, and revenue from subs will continue to flow.

Smart business move by the studio to put GC behind the sub wall in my view. Of course players who want it all for free will always disagree, and players who are upset about XYZ issue will conflate and contrive to make their issue pivotal to anything the studio does or does not do.

So.. will you continue to sub with 5.0, or will you finally make good on your ongoing promise to unsub if the studio does not listen to you? Sincere question. Is this the straw that breaks the camels back, or just the freshest of strawman positions taken?

Well you might want to check I did unsub for a little while but only recently came back to see what they are doing with group content so it depends on what they will be doing with that. So be careful before you jump on someone about unsubbing when you don't have all the facts.

This leads to the following question:

* What did they originally plan to do with these comms? Just hoard them?

As I see it, hoarding WZ comms means that the player didn't need them.

That is fair enough, however, then I don't think that complaining about losing credits is valid. Because nothing was lost. Comms were unused, thus useless, thus worthless. So every credit they get now is bonus.

How about players that have 4 billion credits and BW says that new credit cap would be 2 million after making it impossible to transfer them. These people were just hoarding credits too. Both credits and wz commendations are proportional to the time/$ spent in game. Doesn't matter if used or not.

And how would you know that. You a mind reader.

Well it doesn't take a genius to see if we have less preferred players playing means less money spent in the cartel shop.

You also stated some of those that spend money in the cartel shop were preferred and if we have less preferred players playing they will not be here spending in the cartel shop.

Your words in case you forgot:

You seem to forget all the people who spends hundreds if not thousands on the cartel market who are not all subs some are just preferred accts

Edited by casirabit

Do you think BW feels the same though? Do you think BW is saying good riddance? What if the "whiners" are twice as many of those that have the same mindset as you? You (along with many) are passionate about the game, but ito them it's a revenue stream. Any threat to their revenue stream they should be taken seriously, even if you don't.

To EA the game is a revenue stream. But if you think this game means nothing to Bioware except money then you clearly have no idea who or what Bioware is. A cursory glance of Bioware's history will tell you that Bioware makes games to tell stories, and they are passionate about story telling. In that respect they are artists, not the fat cat capitalists that EA are. Bioware doesn't care about profit as much as they care about their art. This is the first Bioware game I've played and even I can see this as plain as day. And I imagine that spending so much time and effort on this game just for people like you to **** on them everyday on the forums is going to evoke some negativity amongst the company.

We saw this play out in the Cartel slot machine thread. Players were irate at how they nerfed it following the "working as intended" announcement and they never showed their faces in that thread no matter how many pages it went on for. This will be more of the same. Fingers in ear "la la la we can't hear you", and wait for everyone to change their focus on something else.

Well you might want to check I did unsub for a little while but only recently came back to see what they are doing with group content so it depends on what they will be doing with that. So be careful before you jump on someone about unsubbing when you don't have all the facts.

Uh.. huh.

There is no reason to sub just to find out what they are doing with group content. You can read it for free all over the internet. So I'm not buying what you are pedaling here... not that my opinion matters to you in the least.

I honestly see you role playing as leaving.. but can't actually leave. That's fine.. every one gets to decide for themselves if any given MMO is right for them or not. I however object to your duplicity of approach here.... The game is either acceptable and worthy of your subscription or it is not. And you have no basis to speak for any other players ("oh noes.. players are going to unsub over this and poor Bioware will lose revenue!"). Sorry, but that position is just not credible. Each player determines their own value proposition for their subscription money for MMOs... not you, and not me, and not anyone else prosecuting strawman narratives of "revenue lost, because of tragedy xyz".

Edited by Andryah

To EA the game is a revenue stream. But if you think this game means nothing to Bioware except money then you clearly have no idea who or what Bioware is. A cursory glance of Bioware's history will tell you that Bioware makes games to tell stories, and they are passionate about story telling. In that respect they are artists, not the fat cat capitalists that EA are. Bioware doesn't care about profit as much as they care about their art. This is the first Bioware game I've played and even I can see this as plain as day. And I imagine that spending so much time and effort on this game just for people like you to **** on them everyday on the forums is going to evoke some negativity amongst the company.

Awww cupcake. Did I touch a nerve? Sorry to burst your bubble, but the decision makers will take $ over art every time. That is not to say some don't value the art, but the dollars will win out in the long run. The game is a means to an end, not the end.

Uh.. huh.

There is no reason to sub just to find out what they are doing with group content. You can read it for free all over the internet. So I'm not buying what you are pedaling here... not that my opinion matters to you in the least.

I honestly see you role playing as leaving.. but can't actually leave. That's fine.. every one gets to decide for themselves if any given MMO is right for them or not. I however object to your duplicity of approach here.... The game is either acceptable and worthy of your subscription or it is not. And you have no basis to speak for any other players ("oh noes.. players are going to unsub over this and poor Bioware will lose revenue!"). Sorry, but that position is just not credible. Each player determines their own value proposition for their subscription money for MMOs... not you, and not me, and not anyone else prosecuting strawman narratives of "revenue lost, because of tragedy xyz".

Okay, then answer me this if I had a question about the content they were adding, could I post in the forums and get my answers? Nope, I couldn't now could I? I resub because of that as I have had some questions I wanted to ask of them.

So again you have proved my point you argue for the sake of arguing. Have a good day.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the decision makers will take $ over art every time. That is not to say some don't value the art, but the dollars will win out in the long run. The game is a means to an end, not the end.

No kidding lol. Talking about this game as "art", is just naive.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.