5.0 Command Crates will REMOVE incentive to do game content

Soul_of_Flames

Doubtful for one reason, EA/BW is trying to stay a global player in MMO market for 2017.

It's common sense that they can't with a single player concept only.

Indeed the announcement of 5.0 was not the best way how to make marketing for an MMO. So apparently something goes terribly wrong at the moment or they do have some other plans that are just not official yet.

You're either reading different information than what we are, or, aren't reading anything but posts on the forums and then going "yeah, what he said".

We have it in yellow that we're getting group content in 5.0. That's good and all, but, unless you are the only person online while you're playing, there is no single player content. There is lot's of solo content, but guess what: There's been lots of solo content since Beta. How do I know, since I wasn't here? Because the class stories are solo style content. That's basically 8 games rolled into one, right there, since the original class stories were all different from each other.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it will increase the incentives to do the content that gives most cxp

But if you like one or two of those other things you'll still be able to get plenty of cxps... what are we arguing about again? People at max level will be inspired to do and try many different things that they currently aren't. I foresee more people doing GSF at the very least. And people won't feel like they're completely wasting their time (reward-wise) doing things like fps at max level. I don't see the problem.

But if you like one or two of those other things you'll still be able to get plenty of cxps... what are we arguing about again? People at max level will be inspired to do and try many different things that they currently aren't. I foresee more people doing GSF at the very least. And people won't feel like they're completely wasting their time (reward-wise) doing things like fps at max level. I don't see the problem.

People should play GSF because they enjoy GSF, not think there forced to play because it provides the best rewards. Besides, as seen by the masses in hm fps, once they do it, there never going to touch it again, and when going through it, they will be as cheaply prepared as possible to simply rush through them. GSF was implemented terribly in a grind fest per character that is one of the most unfair game modes I have ever seen anyway.

We're arguing because we have to grind old content just to be able to gear for the content we like|(even if it's 2+ years old). We're arguing because BW thought that having rng gear grind as endgame content is a good idea and some people are supporting them.

We're arguing because we have to grind old content just to be able to gear for the content we like|(even if it's 2+ years old). We're arguing because BW thought that having rng gear grind as endgame content is a good idea and some people are supporting them.

This. I don't want to grind 40+ hours to get the gear I need to do the content I enjoy. Grinding SM ops to get gear gear to do HMs I expected. but the time sink now seems extreme to me. Why they didn't just leave ops dropping gear alone and create a new way for non-raiders to acquire gear is beyond me.

Small flaw-

Fair point, but that isn't too dissimilar to how it works now. If you are someone who loves Operations, as an example. You may start in Story Operations to get your Command Rank up and gear up until your character is ready to move into Master (Nightmare).

In general the rule for CXP is that the more players that participate in content, and the harder that content is, the faster you earn it. Although it isn't as fast a Master Operation, doing a Story Operation is still worth more CXP then doing Heroics would be.

-eric

That last sentence is bolded by me. Story Operations is faster than Heroics. I would assume the HM operations would also be faster than Heroics. And NiM Operations would be faster than Heroics. Still incentives, but like in the pre-4.0 days when Weekly Missions in the old Daily Zones gave those very high-end commendations (one or two, and about five of the blues), the non-Raiders can still put effort in and slowly earn those pretty high-end gear for whatever reasons they have (me, personally, I liked how they looked more than I cared about the stats, but the set-bonuses were nice).

This. I don't want to grind 40+ hours to get the gear I need to do the content I enjoy. Grinding SM ops to get gear gear to do HMs I expected. but the time sink now seems extreme to me. Why they didn't just leave ops dropping gear alone and create a new way for non-raiders to acquire gear is beyond me.

Outstanding point. Win/Win.

That last sentence is bolded by me. Story Operations is faster than Heroics. I would assume the HM operations would also be faster than Heroics. And NiM Operations would be faster than Heroics.

So 24-man grouping up to kill killiks is a go then? :D

In general the rule for CXP is that the more players that participate in content, and the harder that content is, the faster you earn it.

-eric

Edited by Transcendent

If i hate it, i don't do it, anyone that does things in a game, even though they hate it because it gives them x3-4 more CXP, then they are sad and pathetic.

Sorry, i wasn't clear. The question wasn't if you would do it. The question is whether the majority of people will do it. And it was mostly rhetorical because i've already seen it in pvp when pierce and 4x came as alerts.

Going to disagree with you on one comment.

Why would you do harder content when you can get the gear easier? Some people like a challenge so they will do the harder content. They are putting a toggle in as well so you can increase the difficulty if you want it. Some will not because they don't want the challenge, some will as they want something to be challenged for.

I addressed this in my original post. Going for progression for the sake of progression is still going to be a thing... but that's a one-off goal. Meaning, once you manage to beat the harder content... then what? That's the point I'm trying to get across. There is no incentive to continue to do it.

In fact, I'd go as far as to say that there isn't even incentive to earn the CXP to get the gear in the first place. MMO endgame usually runs in a cycle: Harder content requires better gear. Progress through the content to get said gear. Once you're geared out, harder content then emerges. Rinse and repeat.

But, now, they are disjointing the connection between content and gear rewards. So, unless there are other means to want to do hard content, people (the majority of people) just wont do it.

Why? Because it takes too long to form groups. Because people don't want to waste their free time wiping in fights 10 seconds in. Because people would rather be productive than pay repair bills.

Yeah, you can do it for your own benefit and desire for progression, but that's not how group content works. Everyone needs to be a like mind, but if SWTOR's development over the past 2 years has done anything, it's tailored its players to be more solo oriented than group oriented. Unless you have a guild or group of friends to run with, you are not likely to be finding people willing to do hard group content just for the sake of doing it.

Basically what I'm saying is this: What are you going to use the gear for and why? Because the only thing I can think of is progression for the sake of progression; progression because the challenge is fun. But that, alone, is not going to keep the game going. Currently, you have to not only progress hard content, but you have to do it repeatedly to get the stuff you want. But, from the way I understand it, in 5.0, you'll only have a desire to do hard content once then move on. It's going to boost the population in the short term, but will cause the same population to drop dramatically very quickly after only a few months.

Edited by Soul_of_Flames

Wouldn't it technically be the most effective content that is the easiest? IE killing elite mobs on Alderaan or kamikaze dive bombing in GSF?

People that enjoy GSF are going to hate december. the devs will be off on their 2 month holiday and the asteroids in GSF will be racking up the kills.

Edited by ivanhedgehog

So 16-man NIM runs up to the first boss, all leave, reset, rinse repeat is a go then? :p

locks. We won't have the gear on multiple characters to do this right away. That's a key part of the system, returning gearing to a reasonable pace. I'm expecting to gear 1 character a month, not 1 a night now. I have to say that seems much more fair.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.