Where is the next step. Swtor2?

Yoshionikage

There was a rumour 2 years ago of swtor 2... but as it turns out, all of the ideas that leaked out ended up being what the 4.0 expansion was... so there is no swtor 2.. only future expansions.. so far everything that "leaked" out about a swtor 2, has come true, but in expansions.

I think if they were going to make a swtor 2, they would stop making expansions or scale down and announce they are making a swtor 2.

I don't see the need of a swtor 2. If EAware said "hey we're taking everything you've done in this game away and we're making a new game, move on" after only 5 years of this game, so they can release a new one, I can say I'd be unhappy.

I'd probably still buy/sub/play the new one, I just won't be happy about it.

If you take all the expansions that this game has had so far, you could probably get the same amount of gametime from them as you get from the vanilla content. The idea shouldn't be to make a whole new game, because this is an MMO. It should be expanded upon instead.

So this is me asking all of you what you think? How much would you like a SWTOR2 and what would you like to see in it? If anything I get to geek out at some people's ideas.

"Be careful what you wish for, you may get it"

I used to play Guild Wars many years ago. They announced Guild Wars 2 quite early on.

Long story, shortened - when GW2 came out, I left SWTOR to play it. Now I'm back to playing SWTOR.

So, while I would like to see a SWTOR2, I also realize that it may not be what I like.

If they were to do an SWTOR2, I would want it to be essentially the same as SWTOR except set in the latest era with a newer engine. It would be more like SW: the Next Generation, rather than SW: the Same Old Republic.

I would also like to see Smugglers and Bounty Hunters in each faction, rather than only one.

Edited by JediQuaker

I'm always down for a kotor 3, but I'd be pissed if they made a swtor 2. All the time and money people have sunk into this game just for them to abandon it for essentially the same thing? Not with it. I bet people who spend money on the cartel market would be even more pissed.

I probably would prefer a Mass Effect MMO as a next MMO. Not having to pay Lucasarts for use of the IP may actually free up more development funds.

i am actually looking more forward to the announcement on N7 day for information on MEA than the next expansion of SWTOR.

I can't see the Bioware team bringing in a whole new upgrade to a 5 year old engine, i also can't see Bioware bringing in a SWTOR2 either. both cost resources, money and time. With EA being what they are, i think milking the cow for another few years is better than wasting it all on risk of an upgrade or a new game with no guarantee it will work.

It's not F2P as the decline, it's that MMOs are oversaturated. The market hit overload because everyone was turning games and sometimes franchises into MMOs. Now a successful RPG series might gain an MMO, like Elder Scrolls or Final Fantasy, but it's not the death knell of the RPG it comes from the way SWTOR was. Those days are over and companies are beginning to realize that MMOs aren't really a good equation for making money unless lightning strikes with all the right things. And for every MMO that gets it right- sub or F2P, dozens try and replicate it and fail hard.

The truth is the successful sub based MMO is always going to be restricted to a few properties. Players aren't going to pay monthly when they can get their fix of open world as increasing numbers of RPGs go down that path, single player, co-op and so on. The market for MMOs survives by having a few sub based properties and hybrid F2P/sub/B2P models and they are beholden to the same trends other games are. I'm sure, through technological leap or an MMO getting something new so right it aches, they'll swing into favour and then inevitably fall out again.

^ Thank you, thank you! I hear one more person on the altar of Obsidian making games better- yes they have excellent mechanics but the immersion RPG factor falters. KOTOR- you feel like Revan whereas the second game always had this sense of disconnect and the same goes for Fallout 3 to New Vegas and I still love both Obsidian games to pieces, it's just in the sense of being the player character. (New Vegas is better than Fallout 4 by simple nature of defining the player character because of a voice they never should have added in my opinion).

Obsidian go hard for that ambiguous storyline and it ends up feeling disjointed. I won't get started on Pillars of Eternity- just that unless they're developing a game for another company, I'm not all that impressed by their solo efforts. And they give Bugthesda (Bethesda) a run for their money when it comes to buggy messes.

People no longer like WOW-alike MMO, they don't want to have fixed schedule to do group content, they want those games which you can roll out whenever you want. LOL is the type.

I just wish (and it's only a wish, not going to happen) that MMOs started with DX 11.1 as a minimum requirement, and the studios simply stopped trying to make every last $250 Wal-Mart laptop capable of playing the game.

Multi-core processing also a minimum requirement, which automatically puts you in the I5 and I7 range, and, more reliance on a real GPU, not this embedded HP crap, and a serious approach by skilled programmers to make excellently optimized DX calls rather than doing a half-decent job and wind up with the most inefficient and clunky shadowing imaginable.

Oh. And serious guild management support, and no more making us maintain two guilds for the sake of one player population imp and pub.

Edited by xordevoreaux

It has been 5ish years since this game came out and I do still love it to this day. The idea behind this was one of the coolest things to happen to the MMOverse. I really wish that this game was being developed right around this time. There are several reasons for this. MMOs now days have gone in a direction that is truly amazing. If you ever played Tera/Wildstar/Black Desert then you know what I mean. The interactive level in which you play these games is amazing.

Thinking of the three games I mention but replacing them with images of what the Old Republic could be makes me almost faint with excitement. That along with the recent Star Wars Movie and with Rogue One coming out. There is no better time then to see another adaption of this game to hit the market. This all brings me to the question why don't I see or hear anything about a SWTOR2.

Maybe I'm not just not looking in the right places or whatnot. I know there is at least one other star wars game coming out but not a mmos version so that can't be it and it can't be a funding issue either cause a kick starter would even work for something like this. What I'm really hoping is that the makers of this game aren't going to just sit back and reap the rewards of this game without ever taking it further.

So this is me asking all of you what you think? How much would you like a SWTOR2 and what would you like to see in it? If anything I get to geek out at some people's ideas.

So you list 3 near dead games, with extremely gimmicky action combat and a total lack of honest and real MMO skills that are purely in the conditional use category.

Wildstar's numbers are half what TOR's are, Terra is a horrible implimentation of a game, and BDO is begging for people to play it. Also...BDO's combat is the single most boring and lacking of roles I've ever seen...and I've played GW2 which is another near role-less game so that is saying something.

Action combat in MMOs is a gimmick that rarely works. You have too few skills to really have DEEP strategy, and the twitch combat can be completely screwed up by server ping which is never steady as a true MMO has too many variable flying around for a server to keep up when a lot of combat is happening in one area.

Does TOR need an update? Yes, but only in the engine, as the current game engine has all kinds of faults. The combat is actually perfect, it is true MMO strategic gameplay where proper use of conditional abilities can make huge differences in combat. The combat is not supposed to be twitchy and it also is not supposed to be over in seconds. Combat roles are also supposed to have very clear deliniation. Action combat MMOs have always had a problem with tanks, not a single one on the market does tanks well. Action MMOs are purely for DPS players, the tanks rarely are capable of taking proper hits (hint, a hit that would kill a DPS should be only a deep scratch for a tank) and often even healers are marginalized in action-y MMOs.

^ Thank you, thank you! I hear one more person on the altar of Obsidian making games better- yes they have excellent mechanics but the immersion RPG factor falters. KOTOR- you feel like Revan whereas the second game always had this sense of disconnect and the same goes for Fallout 3 to New Vegas and I still love both Obsidian games to pieces, it's just in the sense of being the player character. (New Vegas is better than Fallout 4 by simple nature of defining the player character because of a voice they never should have added in my opinion).

Obsidian go hard for that ambiguous storyline and it ends up feeling disjointed. I won't get started on Pillars of Eternity- just that unless they're developing a game for another company, I'm not all that impressed by their solo efforts. And they give Bugthesda (Bethesda) a run for their money when it comes to buggy messes.

Go ahead ignore the fact that in both cases the deadline had suddenly been droped down due to greed, ignore the fact that in both cases they had to take over the buggy engine from someone else.

And pillars of eternity is great, it's not Obsidians fault you are just after the graphicZZzzzz.

I just wish (and it's only a wish, not going to happen) that MMOs started with DX 11.1 as a minimum requirement, and the studios simply stopped trying to make every last $250 Wal-Mart laptop capable of playing the game.

Multi-core processing also a minimum requirement, which automatically puts you in the I5 and I7 range, and, more reliance on a real GPU, not this embedded HP crap, and a serious approach by skilled programmers to make excellently optimized DX calls rather than doing a half-decent job and wind up with the most inefficient and clunky shadowing imaginable.

Oh. And serious guild management support, and no more making us maintain two guilds for the sake of one player population imp and pub.

Given that DX 11 wasn't (and isn't) available on XP, that wasn't going to happen in a game that started development in the 2009 timeframe. As for mulitcore support, it's only really this year than any mass-market game has meaningful mulitple-core support.

So you list 3 near dead games, with extremely gimmicky action combat and a total lack of honest and real MMO skills that are purely in the conditional use category.

Wildstar's numbers are half what TOR's are, Terra is a horrible implimentation of a game, and BDO is begging for people to play it. Also...BDO's combat is the single most boring and lacking of roles I've ever seen...and I've played GW2 which is another near role-less game so that is saying something.

Action combat in MMOs is a gimmick that rarely works. You have too few skills to really have DEEP strategy, and the twitch combat can be completely screwed up by server ping which is never steady as a true MMO has too many variable flying around for a server to keep up when a lot of combat is happening in one area.

Does TOR need an update? Yes, but only in the engine, as the current game engine has all kinds of faults. The combat is actually perfect, it is true MMO strategic gameplay where proper use of conditional abilities can make huge differences in combat. The combat is not supposed to be twitchy and it also is not supposed to be over in seconds. Combat roles are also supposed to have very clear deliniation. Action combat MMOs have always had a problem with tanks, not a single one on the market does tanks well. Action MMOs are purely for DPS players, the tanks rarely are capable of taking proper hits (hint, a hit that would kill a DPS should be only a deep scratch for a tank) and often even healers are marginalized in action-y MMOs.

As a MMO, TOR needs to fix bugs, make improvement on some systems and update on content, its game setting is very good, but the problem is that MMO has been gone downhill around its launch.

I know of at least one exampel of a game that was so successful with a F2P conversion that they essentially dropped the subscriber model. Anecdote is not the singular of data.

What data are you reffering too? "So successful" can mean a lot of things a game that has 500 subs, 10000 freeloaders, and 500 hardcore cashers will make way more money out of the cash shop then from subs, but is a game with 11000 players "successful"?

In my eyes a successful MMO would be one that can do without Microtransactions, one that attracts floods of players, one players are happily paying a sub for and even happily pay extra for add-ons, now THAT is what i call successful, and not "Hey, we make more money then what the game costs us thats good enough'".

There is a reason why pretty much every year another 4-5 asian MMO's get thrown on the market that have nothing to offer other than ****** and a** revealing skimpy armor.

It's about time the governments start to apply gambling laws to online games maybe (just maybe) we will see an increase in the quality of the genre again then.

Get real folks. Both Project Titan and Everquest Next were cancelled. Just think about it, the creators of the 2 genre-defining and most popular MMOs themselves couldn't figure out the recipehow to achieve success again. This genre is finished, or at most it lives in form of Destiny/Division style of MMOs. No publishers will attempt another AAA MMORPG for many years. Edited by Pietrastor

What data are you reffering too? "So successful" can mean a lot of things a game that has 500 subs, 10000 freeloaders, and 500 hardcore cashers will make way more money out of the cash shop then from subs, but is a game with 11000 players "successful"?

In my eyes a successful MMO would be one that can do without Microtransactions, one that attracts floods of players, one players are happily paying a sub for and even happily pay extra for add-ons, now THAT is what i call successful, and not "Hey, we make more money then what the game costs us thats good enough'".

There is a reason why pretty much every year another 4-5 asian MMO's get thrown on the market that have nothing to offer other than ****** and a** revealing skimpy armor.

It's about time the governments start to apply gambling laws to online games maybe (just maybe) we will see an increase in the quality of the genre again then.

The game's still running; longer than SWTOR has been. I stopped playing because I was playing it for social reasons, and the people I wa splayign with stopped. I didn't care for the underlying gameplay model. As I said, there was no subscription model, only the microtransaction one. I spent rather less a month over the time I played the game than I have on SWTOR (which was good for me, I had a lot less money then). It was a "sandbox" type game with basically no solo content, though they did have PvE events towards the end of my involvement.

Get real folks. Both Project Titan and Everquest Next were cancelled. Just think about it, the creators of the 2 genre-defining and most popular MMOs themselves couldn't figure out the recipehow to achieve success again. This genre is finished, or at most it lives in form of Destiny/Division style of MMOs. No publishers will attempt another AAA MMORPG for many years.

My soccer moms and their kids are all playing phone games now. Or mostly.

Never could get Pokemon Go to work on my iPod Touch. Maybe that's a good thing.

edit: http://www.threepanelsoul.com/comic/tangentially-related

Edited by dr_mike