Why Macros belong in TOR.

_compton_

I can tell when I enter combat with another skilled player. This makes having no macros worth it. The feeling that skill with keyboard kung fu is needed in the game make pvp fun for me.

I don't know about anyone else but yes I practice my keyboard kung fu and I also set myself up with a gaming keyboard and mouse.

I look at pvp as a digital sport and having no macros forces users into using skill. I see nothing wrong with this. This is where the really skilled players will make a name for themselves.

Go head bring macros on because I will take my skill level and it will only be higher and I will still own in pvp prolly even more so.

Becarefull what you ask for sometimes just practice and the right gear can change your outlook on pvp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can tell when I enter combat with another skilled player. This makes having no macros worth it. The feeling that skill with keyboard kung fu is needed in the game make pvp fun for me.

Agree, I take it one step further. Some call it "efficiency," I call it lazy. In a real knock out, drag out fight you're going to have to think quick on your toes. I've seen too many mods, macros, etc. that make it for just one button to do many things. Very much a lack of skill. This is the best pvp experience I've had in ages. That being said, it will not be long before the squeaky wheel gets oiled and the macros get implemented. 'Til then however; I plan to keep dominating these wannabes with my real technique and reflexes whilst they cry and flame on forums. <3 ya all.

This type of trolling, non-constructive response hardly deserves a reply, but..

It's clear you read absolutely nothing of what I posted, I devoted a paragraph to that particular myth, and why it's so blatantly wrong.

Not every macro is a "cast-sequence" which is not what I'm in support of, and not what this thread is about.

Mouse over macros remove the need to target a player manually. They automate a part of the healing process unnecessarily. It's just as bad as a cast sequence.

Ok, I usually don't answer to gaming threads, but there's just so much weird stuff being said here that I kind of have to.

If you're going to claim that you can show that you're a more skilled player when nobody can macro stuff, you really shouldn't go on to admitting that you're using specialized peripherals to help you. How is it better to use a programmable mouse and keyboard than to program your abilities with macros within the game?

My keyboard fu is fine, but I don't think buying such equipment should be a requirement to perform well in any mmo. I'd much prefer it if you could do whatever is necessary from within the game.

To me the keyboard and mouse is just an interface between my brain and the game, and it should be as smooth and simple as possible. I want all my abilities available, and when I run out of keys to bind within finger-reach of my wsad keys and have no macros to reduce the number of buttons needed, then I conclude that the ability design or game design is broken or there are vital features missing; macros.

I've come to expect to be able to always having the next ability enqueued, and if I don't have enough binds available, then there should be macros to allow me to do that. And I don't want to have to buy a spaceship to do that.

And for those of you who think there's such a thing as an I-win-button in those other mmo's with macros, think again. In almost all cases moving some of the abilities of those macros out to their own binds will allow you to select the timing of your cooldowns better allowing you to use them to greater effect than if you had everything in one button.

If adding macros will allow an I-win-button, then you really need to revamp your abilities to make them more situational.

Furthermore I should say that not having macros for my warrior means I have to keep eyeballing my actionbars (of which there are too few btw). I want to watch the game, not the bars. Muscle memory should be sufficient. Macroing some reactive abilities would go a long way towards this.

In short I'll probably cancel my subscription, and wait for macro support before I spend more time in this game. And note that some classes need this more than others, so if you've only played one class and don't see the need, then try some more classes, and see for yourself. In fact maybe that's what I'll do while I wait for macro play a class that don't hurt so much from this...

• 2 weeks later...

they won't...

honestly if u are already good... cool! no need of macro

if u sux and u need macro to be "good" it speak by itself.

Are you worry that the one that is winning use macro? then probably you are losing... only people that lose start thinking about "cheat" "macro" bla bla bla

I see only a lot of whiners.

No no no no no, a million times no. Macros just make everything a joke. I used all kinds of them on my sub rogue. Mouseover, focus, castsequence you name it. It was a ridiculous advantage over people who didn't use them/didn't know how to. I want an even playing field in this game, not one based on whoever has more clever scripting. Mouseover macros are not needed for healing either. Will it make it easier? yes, is it needed? hellz no... Healing needs to be toned down in pvp as is imo. Seriously how hard is it to click on an ops bar and press a button? Quit being lazy.

macro for emote and for text would be okey especially for RP reason (and pvp too... it's annoying to write go here go there in pug group but it's as annoying for me as for the other team so not really unfair)

^_^ I wonder if it's possible to create a macro only for text maybe a macro connected only to the chat window

I think macros and mouse overs are for the weak. JMO. I used Healbot in WoW and it made everything easy mode. Target forwarding and Macros are fail.

Having added them, WoW opened a pandora's box for the weak of skill. Now everyone wants their Free'n'easy game play. I play a healer and there is nothing wrong with the healing system. A 1.5 sec GCD plus a 1 Sec. pre-load timer allows you plenty of time to do anything you need.

No thanks to Macros. As others have already put it, it just puts a chore (scripting) into the game needlessly, and gives people an advantage over those that don't know how to do it. I understand that you can look up how to do it, but for the majority of the playerbase, especially now that these games have become more casual, it's going to be a step they never take, leaving them at a disadvantage.

More importantly than that, it just dumbs down the game.

I've read hundreds of posts complaining about Tracer Missile spam...I would hope that none of the people complaining about that want macros, because all you're doing is dumbing the game down into a button or two by macroing, and taking the little bit of "skill" that actually remains in playing an MMORPG out.

I don't need computers to hit hotkeys for me.

If you put in macroing you might as well just give us all Tracer Missile and take away the rest of our skills.

I'd love macros. Anything to reduce the amount of keybindings I have on my assassin would be absolutely amazing.

Mouse over healing macros are another huge quality of life issue but sadly IMO it would push healers into an extremely over powered state. Anyone that's played any competitive wow will understand what door of utility that will open to healers. Between interrupts/cc/dmg abilities and mouse over heals, healers would be out of control.

BTW the guy above me doesn't know what he's talking about. How many 1 button rotations have you seen that competed at a high level? Also impliment macros into preferences with an easy to understand system. No one is saying you need to code macros in...

Edited by Osnodon

The Devs at the Guild summit have already said no combat macros end of subject. What makes you think this thread will change their minds or us players who do not want then either? Combat macros are not going to happen get over it. Edited by Badlander

I think macros and mouse overs are for the weak. JMO. I used Healbot in WoW and it made everything easy mode. Target forwarding and Macros are fail.

Having added them, WoW opened a pandora's box for the weak of skill. Now everyone wants their Free'n'easy game play. I play a healer and there is nothing wrong with the healing system. A 1.5 sec GCD plus a 1 Sec. pre-load timer allows you plenty of time to do anything you need.

Healbot is not a macro. Stop equating the two.

With the number of skills that need to be keybound in this game, macros are a necessity in my opinion. All of my characters have three quickbars of buttons that I use. These are what I have to keybind them to:

1-10

z, f, v, t, g, m3, m4, m5

CTRL m3, m4, m5

ALT m3, m4, m5

SHIFT f, g, t, v, z

You get the idea. It's cumbersome but not unplayable. Macros would allow me to set one button to perform an action based on what I'm targetting without having to make a separate keybind; for example, if I'm targetting an enemy, my 'Z' key is force stun, but if I am targetting a friendly target, my 'Z' key is force shield. This macro does not perform any functions that I couldn't perform before, nor does it give me some kind of in-game advantage, it only allows me to save an additional keybind.

These types of macros are necessary for quality-of-life improvements. Macros should not be allowed to make decisions for you, i.e. 'if target is above 50% cast X, else cast Y', which is what people seem to think macros do. They haven't even done that in WoW since a few months after release. Macros are simply there to make the UI more flexible and should have already been implemented in game.

I'd love macros. Anything to reduce the amount of keybindings I have on my assassin would be absolutely amazing.

Mouse over healing macros are another huge quality of life issue but sadly IMO it would push healers into an extremely over powered state. Anyone that's played any competitive wow will understand what door of utility that will open to healers. Between interrupts/cc/dmg abilities and mouse over heals, healers would be out of control.

BTW the guy above me doesn't know what he's talking about. How many 1 button rotations have you seen that competed at a high level? Also impliment macros into preferences with an easy to understand system. No one is saying you need to code macros in...

How would it be OP.... ??? I mean u can already look up, target a guy a press say Q to heal. Making it macro available would simply improve effectiveness by one click.

That said this game seems to be made with macros in mind... The "smart" camera option that cant be toggled off, with abilities with intercept, makes me think, that make intercept /mouseover was what they were really aiming for.

/bump macros please :)

Healbot is not a macro. Stop equating the two.

With the number of skills that need to be keybound in this game, macros are a necessity in my opinion. All of my characters have three quickbars of buttons that I use. These are what I have to keybind them to:

1-10

z, f, v, t, g, m3, m4, m5

CTRL m3, m4, m5

ALT m3, m4, m5

SHIFT f, g, t, v, z

You get the idea. It's cumbersome but not unplayable. Macros would allow me to set one button to perform an action based on what I'm targetting without having to make a separate keybind; for example, if I'm targetting an enemy, my 'Z' key is force stun, but if I am targetting a friendly target, my 'Z' key is force shield. This macro does not perform any functions that I couldn't perform before, nor does it give me some kind of in-game advantage, it only allows me to save an additional keybind.

These types of macros are necessary for quality-of-life improvements. Macros should not be allowed to make decisions for you, i.e. 'if target is above 50% cast X, else cast Y', which is what people seem to think macros do. They haven't even done that in WoW since a few months after release. Macros are simply there to make the UI more flexible and should have already been implemented in game.

No, what they allow you to do is build priority into single keybinds, so your one button does x skill first, if that's on cooldown, does x skill, if that's on cooldown, does x skill, and so on.

I have no problem with what you're describing. I have a problem with how it usually gets used, because it takes what little "skill" remains in these games out.

E.G. Little Timmy loses two seconds every time he accidentally presses a skill on CD because he has slow reflexes and doesn't know his keybinds well.

Suddenly Little Timmy can do "leet deeps" because his computer does all the thinking for him based on a simple routine that he probably cut and pasted from someone's post/website.

I'm not saying "I'm right". I'm just saying that to me, it's lame.

bioware made it clear at the guild summit combat enhancing macros will NOT be implemented

social macros is still a very high possibility

Georg made this post, hope it clears some things up for people.

If you're invoking the Guild Summit, let's be a bit more precise about what we've said:

A) Macros are a possibility in the future. We don't hate them.

B) I am opposed to macros that automate combat (shouldn't be a surprise). I'd rather take tedious things (such as sprint turning off after death) and modify the design than to rely on people to create macros to deal with these things - which creates unnecessary barriers of entry in my opinion.

C) We don't consider interface improvements and quality of life features (e.g. mouse over healing) to be macros (so 2 does not apply)

D) Macros for social behaviors, etc are definitely a possibility too.

Couple thoughts on macros.

1. PvP is about competition and if there are no macros for anyone then you are not at any disadvantage. I understand that you might want macros to make the game easier but if you are talking about competition you are not hurt by the lack of macros.

2. PVE. I also play Rift and it has the most robust macro system I have seen. It's so robust most rotations are reduced to spaming two or three macros. Nothing quite like running a raid where your rotation consists of "1-1-1-2" over and over again. After a while you forget what the thing is even doing but if you want to max dps you need to use them.

Macros make a game easier to play but they aren't required. I know I don't want to see another game with the mindless macro spam that Rift is.