Datamined Content Reminder - Community Edition

Torvai

Took a look through the thread... and I agree with it, some things like spoiler heavy story content is all fine and dandy to hide, but things like gameplay changes have relatively little reason to remain secret for so long. This includes withdrawing information about ops, fps, and wz too Bioware.

On a side note... man... TUX took that bait hard and destroyed half the dock getting wheeled in.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ToR team have always been ******. They don't want people learning about what's been datamined, because they don't want people knowing there's **** all coming to the game. They're deceptive, lazy and without a doubt the worst team behind any MMO I've ever played.

Game is in maintenance mode. That's why there's no new ops coming, and the closest thing we're getting to group content is 'Uprisings'- essentially the same garbage as the Star Fortresses. Along with another year of drip-feeding companions and badly written story that could make a 12 year old Twilight fan-fiction writer cringe, I doubt there's anything to look forward to for the next few years, if ever.

It's maintenance mode all the way, no doubt about that. Sooner or later, that'll be clear to everyone, no matter how much they try to censor the community.

The only details we have received in the past month is Tait's explanation of swapping from GMT to BST

Is it any wonder dataminers are where players turn when it is absolute silence coming from the official channels?

You can control the message or allow others to do it for you.

They should just rename the Developer Tracker link to Maintenance Tracker. That is the only thing they post about anymore these days.

What do they do all day at work I wonder? Because they sure as heck don't bother posting anything significant on the forums.

Edited by LordSkyKnight

I think that BW Austin have never understood the reasons for all the negativity. It started with their arrogant disregard right at the start of the game of all the criticism. They really felt they built a Titanic that wouldn't sink. Now, it didn't sink but it's not going as fast as it should've gone and in the end the ship isn't nearly as big as they planned it anymore either. A lot of criticism was right but they didn't want to hear it and to me that's a big part of where the problem started.

Of course the community has been negative and certainly not all of it was fair or warranted, but BW Austin are the company and they should also realise that someone has to start to break the cycle and hold on. Now you could say that it's up to the players but the players are millions of people with varying opinions and emotional states. So that's pretty much asking the impossible. It makes more sense for BW to break the cycle because they are a much smaller group that can be coordinated and build something new. As wrong as the community can be, BW Austin do need to realise that their inability to communicate properly and regularly is only aggravating the situation and enabling the problem to continue, in fact encouraging it because it basically tells the negative people that they are right.

It is a shame really.

There is no freedom of speech outside of government to citizen relations. The freedom of speech in the constitution only applies to the government making it illegal to say or discuss something. It does not apply to any other interaction between other parties. BW is perfectly within it's rights to ban/remove/forbid any subject matter whatsoever on their forums or in their game. The same would apply to any other forum on the internet not owned or controlled by a governmental body.

Thank you or saying this so I didn't have to. I hate it when people scream "Freedom of speech" and then get it all wrong.

OK Perry Mason, internet court of law aside, Bioware gets to declare how they want to disseminate the flow of information from the next expansion pack. My comment was in reference to the guy feigning outrage and disgust that information obtained in a shady manor be allowed to be discussed on the forums and calling for the forum policy to be changed.

Actually, they dont have that right, any more than they can tell a newspaper that they cant report on negative news. You cant publish their code but you can certainly discuss it. Bioware (or any other corporate entity) cannot restrain you from talking about data they exposed to the world unless it is on their own forum.

The ToR team have always been ******. They don't want people learning about what's been datamined, because they don't want people knowing there's **** all coming to the game. They're deceptive, lazy and without a doubt the worst team behind any MMO I've ever played.

Game is in maintenance mode. That's why there's no new ops coming, and the closest thing we're getting to group content is 'Uprisings'- essentially the same garbage as the Star Fortresses. Along with another year of drip-feeding companions and badly written story that could make a 12 year old Twilight fan-fiction writer cringe, I doubt there's anything to look forward to for the next few years, if ever.

It's maintenance mode all the way, no doubt about that. Sooner or later, that'll be clear to everyone, no matter how much they try to censor the community.

Gratz on paying for the game you hate so much.

There is no freedom of speech outside of government to citizen relations. The freedom of speech in the constitution only applies to the government making it illegal to say or discuss something. It does not apply to any other interaction between other parties. BW is perfectly within it's rights to ban/remove/forbid any subject matter whatsoever on their forums or in their game. The same would apply to any other forum on the internet not owned or controlled by a governmental body.

I'm no fanboi, but I don't think Bioware is wrong in the least doing this. Datamine underminds their work, it predisposes players thoughts on an upcoming expansion that has even been released yet, leaving a bad taste in some peoples mouths for whats to come and thusly could make them say dispariging things that might dissuade other people from playing the game despite it being said merely on heresay.

This is copyrighted material being disemminated without their permission and that's what copywrites are for, from having control over privately owned material. No one has the right to use copyrighted material without the owners permission. Otherwise there is no point in having copyrights at all.

While datamines are often pretty on the mark, they are not binding and any part of it they can change at any time before release. People can get pissed if they don't get things they were expecting they were gonna get, even though there was really no promise that they would get them.

Someone tries to use my stuff without my permission is gonna get a punch in the face.

Say you post a copy of your new book online for all to see. I read your online book and discuss the plot. You cannot stop me from doing so. If I copy your book and repost it, that would violate your copright, but talking about the ending to thousands of other people is in no way any violation of copyright law. Telling you that darth vader is lukes father does not violate anyones copyright.

Official info about the new expansion will come in october as it has been communicated. You will not get info on kotet before that.

What's so damn hard to understand about this?

Nothing. But it should also not be difficult for BW to understand they have created a scenario where the information is available, and they should be smart enough to realize there are plenty of places they cannot enforce this sort of silence.

Given that, it seems remarkably pointless to try to quash discussion here, on their official forum. It seems about as useful as sticking their fingers in their ears.

Likewise, I also find it a missed opportunity to actually engage with their playerbase. I mean, Eric saying we should look at the dev tracker is laughable if you actually see what's on there, mere weeks before new content is announced.

Personally, the idea that new content is being rolled out in the next few months and there has been nothing from the team - literally nothing - about its structure seems pretty dysfunctional to me.

So it's not hard to understand when they plan on saying something. I think it's impossible to come up with some sort of logic as to why they they think that schedule makes even the slightest bit of sense.

I guess I'm wondering why total silence from the studio has any upside. I see none. I see plenty of downside though.

Official info about the new expansion will come in october as it has been communicated. You will not get info on kotet before that.

What's so damn hard to understand about this?

And I bet money that we won't get more, or different, for that matter, information than we already have from datamining.

And that is part of the problem. BioWare giving too little information too late. I mean, Kotet will be released in 3 month or less. And apart from that it's coming we know nothing about it. At least nothing official. And it has been announced 2 months ago. If that isn't bad communication, then I don't know what is.

Take wow Legion for example. It has just been released, announced over a year ago with almost the complete changes that are planned. This is how you do stuff like that.

I simply don't get this. Especially when most of the gameplay changes aren't even bad to begin with.

And I also don't get why they won't allow us to discuss this. Simply state that this isn't official information. That way we get an idea on what's coming and BioWare gets feedback. Win/Win.

Edited by Torvai

And I bet money that we won't get more, or different, for that matter, information than we already have from datamining.

And that is part of the problem. BioWare giving too little information too late. I mean, Kotet will be released in 3 month or less. And apart from that it's coming we know nothing about it. At least nothing official. And it has been announced 2 months ago. If that isn't bad communication, then I don't know what is.

Take wow Legion for example. It has just been released, announced over a year ago with almost the complete changes that are planned. This is how you do stuff like that.

I simply don't get this. Especially when most of the gameplay changes aren't even bad to begin with.

And I also don't get why they won't allow us to discuss this. Simply state that this isn't official information. That was we get an idea on what's coming and BioWare gets feedback. Win/Win.

By no means do I defend Bioware and their terrible communication, but to be fair, the disparity of expansions of WOW is a lot longer than Swtors, given you still had access to almost everything before release.

I don't know why, but some reason Bioware just doesn't take criticism well, at all. It takes a HUGE outcry to change their opinion, and when they do make the decision, their is no middle ground, they swing the bat as hard as they can. IE the companion nerf in 4.1, they nerfed them extremely hard, and then buff them by a huge amount as well, given they are slightly weaker, and could no longer solo champions at level one, but still easily beat elites. They shouldn't be overly useless, but they shouldn't carry players as of right now where you don't even have to touch the keyboard. The same goes for the contraband machine, once incredibly useful, now incredibly useless.

Nothing. But it should also not be difficult for BW to understand they have created a scenario where the information is available, and they should be smart enough to realize there are plenty of places they cannot enforce this sort of silence.

Given that, it seems remarkably pointless to try to quash discussion here, on their official forum. It seems about as useful as sticking their fingers in their ears.

Likewise, I also find it a missed opportunity to actually engage with their playerbase. I mean, Eric saying we should look at the dev tracker is laughable if you actually see what's on there, mere weeks before new content is announced.

Personally, the idea that new content is being rolled out in the next few months and there has been nothing from the team - literally nothing - about its structure seems pretty dysfunctional to me.

So it's not hard to understand when they plan on saying something. I think it's impossible to come up with some sort of logic as to why they they think that schedule makes even the slightest bit of sense.

I guess I'm wondering why total silence from the studio has any upside. I see none. I see plenty of downside though.

What would you like, what should they say?

The changes in the game are not final, they are in testing phase, as I said, there is an official announcement date, be patient. If they would tell everything about kotet now, would it be better for you? It's still months before release.

The community is full of spoiled whiny little children, if BW announces anything, it's immediately met with rage posts, are you surprised that they don't post regularly on the forums? If Eric, or anybody from BW posts anything, a lot of people instantly reply with rage and skepticism. Maybe BW would be more open to the community, if it wasn't the most toxic, spoiled, demanding community the world has ever seen.

What would you like, what should they say?

The changes in the game are not final, they are in testing phase, as I said, there is an official announcement date, be patient. If they would tell everything about kotet now, would it be better for you? It's still months before release.

The community is full of spoiled whiny little children, if BW announces anything, it's immediately met with rage posts, are you surprised that they don't post regularly on the forums? If Eric, or anybody from BW posts anything, a lot of people instantly reply with rage and skepticism. Maybe BW would be more open to the community, if it wasn't the most toxic, spoiled, demanding community the world has ever seen.

People reply with skepticism and rage because well.... of Biowares past history. "Better than Cross Server" isn't a meme for no reason, and theirs been many other bugs that were supposedly fixed, but were broken later anyway, and other promises that weren't kept to back up the claim that they aren't very good at their job. They let past exploits go on for WEEKS at a time, IE ravagers and stack exploit, and 4.0 was filled to the brim with bugs, some major ones that still haven't been fixed. IE Ashara and 16 man instances. Ill admit, their are some spoiled brats in the community and bad people, but Bioware sticking their head into the sand negating all criticism that doesn't praise them is a problem.

Maybe if Bioware does something right for once, then we wouldn't be so skeptic. Perhaps if they even you know... came out and denied these claims assuring quality and actually backed it up, their would be a lot more good will around.

How many raiders would flip out right now if they showed us the first boss, or a boss, from a actual operation. Yeah, it would be subject to change and be in the process, but just knowing their actually working on one would give us a lot more confidence in Bioware.

Hey Dev-Team,

Over the last 5 years, we saw a large influx of no official information. I wanted to remind you, that not posting informations in a timely manner is bad community work and leads to the community relying on datamined information.

This post is meant to serve as a general reminder of this. If you are unsure if something should be announced, just do so and tell us that it's subject to change.

Thanks for your understanding.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

that post just made my day!! Well done, stupid Eric, stupid Bioware!

The contrast with this team is that they make decisions based on metrics (we can debate how accurate these actually are in another thread) rather than actual player feedback or concerns. In many cases, this has proven to be destructive to the community and game.

This is the key here!!

The worst thing about this is that they even make up the metrics themselves, by creating events like LvsD or introduction of Eternal Championship. They make requirements for all these things and those are to either level toons or do KOTFE. Since people want to take part in these "new" things they have to do KOTFE for example and on more toons (achievement for TEC was to do it will all 8 classes, so 8 times KOTFE till chapter 9 done).

So they force people to do stuff, then have metrics that arent really true and use them to develop the wrong things.

Yes, true, but realize one thing, even though its so bad, we are still sticking around :D

Hey Dev-Team,

Over the last 5 years, we saw a large influx of no official information. I wanted to remind you, that not posting informations in a timely manner is bad community work and leads to the community relying on datamined information.

This post is meant to serve as a general reminder of this. If you are unsure if something should be announced, just do so and tell us that it's subject to change.

Thanks for your understanding.

Very nicely written, serves Bioware right!!