"Free" to play feels bad.

Astasia

Not from Freeples it does not. If you are F2P (and you are not) you have never put a dime into the game, ever.

Unless you want to use purple or better gear, which means you need to buy an artifact equipment unlock.

If you want to get the good loot from Flash Points more than 3 times you need to buy a weekly pass

If you want to do operations at all you need to buy an Operations weekly pass.

Want more than your 250k credit limit? That's an escrow unlock.

Want to PvP? That's another pass you will need to buy.

Want the colors of your outfit to match? Color unification unlock purchas.

Additional inventory slots, cargo hold slots, pony up more cartel coins.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you want to use purple or better gear, which means you need to buy an artifact equipment unlock.

If you want to get the good loot from Flash Points more than 3 times you need to buy a weekly pass

I have a bunch of unlocks at this point and I keep at it, despite having decided I'm not quite sure whether I'll even let my sub lapse during Mass Effect: Andromeda. It's about making my experience as good as possible. I've earned an insane amount of credits, for me- I guess not so much for other people- I could have just credit grinded my way to buying account wide for Purple gear but I didn't want to. Firstly, too much work (although I'm at 32 character slots and the 26 max drop down at preferred and a lot were credit bought at the higher price, so raging hypocrite here- it's easier to piece meal) but secondly- the 5500 cartel coin pack I bought went straight to Bioware/EA. They got money and I get to unlock permanent boosts to my playing experience, subbed or not.

Disclaimer- I was F2P back in the Dread War releases, so the following is based on my experience in that time of late July 2013-> January 2014 when I went to Preferred -> February 2014 when I started my subscription.

I wanted to play an online game where there were other people in the world, and I didn't need to do group stuff to move along in the main story. I also was terrified of the idea of PvP.

That 250K limit only got nearly reached once when I had forgotten to go back to the trainer and get my abilities powered up and I was busy slicing every slicing node I could find. I went, got the abilities updated and then was fine, leveled all the way to my 50. However, she was my fourth-made character, so I had learned from my main not to buy certain armor things from the vendors except for the orange gear, and what crew skills to invest in as a F2P. (These days, Class Trainers no longer charge players it's easier to reach that cap) I also had nothing I was interested in buying on the GTN after buying cheap shells (CM gear or not) that I thought looked good together.

I had no interest in the purple gear because in my mind the purple gear was what you wore for group content, and I didn't want to group content stuff. I did feel silly with mismatched armor, but that was what orange gear was for - finding something that looked good together and then put the right mods onto it.

What else did I have an interest in? Something I could do where I knew real people were around (sort of) while I battled depression and tried to find a job. I played F2P for my sanity because I couldn't handle playing my SP games on the TV as I lived with my parents at the time, so they would notice me playing games on the TV all day long. I also liked this F2P system because I got the base game for free and if/when I got a job, the plan was to start subscribing somehow because I enjoyed the game. (Epilogue: I'm here on the forums, aren't I?)

Maybe I was one of those weird F2P players. The only thing that bothered me was the chat limit, but since I did do group stuff, I just turned off the General tab and watched the Other tab instead. I also understood why the chat limit was in place (to try and limit credit sellers). Once I decided Slicing was the crew skill to go for, I didn't need to bother with inventory space and set my companion to sell the grey stuff.

I often play my f2p accounts and really don't find it that bad. (then again I am a solo player) At first yes there is that sudden shock (for lack of a better word) but over time I brought many unlocks using my sub accounts and the CC from the security key. Just brought 2 artefact account wide unlocks last week but yet to use them on my f2p. Thought I would hold onto them just in case I drop the subs on my subs. Now have a few inventory slots, and all the quick bars. Plus section X and x-pacs up till the last one for the f2p. Now have level 60 characters on them, so yes no ware near as good as subbing but can still be done.

Still want hide head shot, which to me is the only big thing I really miss now when I play on the f2p. Just the quickbars seemed more important to get first.

If any player has the intention of dropping there sub for f2p I would start getting those unlocks before hand.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

There's a reason I put "free" in quotes. I have never been a "froob" or "freebie" or whatever this community calls them. I am a founder, I've been around since the game came out, I have several years of combined sub time and well over $100 in additional purchases. I have every permanent account unlock you can get, purple unlocks, titles, color matching, headslot hiding, etc. and I've paid for expansions to perma unlock them. All of this is wasted because you get every single one of those things for free if you sub, and subbing is the only way to have any interaction at all with the economy, and the only way to get most quest rewards.

That said, being a free player doesn't really change things, because the mechanic works so that they would have to buy those unlocks using normal game credits from people who spent real money on them. Which is identical to them spending real money on them themselves, either case EA gets the same amount of money and support. This mechanic is entirely broken at this point because last I checked there were basically zero unlocks available for under the credit cap.

I don't mind the unlock system or all the current unlock options, the problem is there is no way around the biggest obstacle, which is currently the one breaking the system entirely. If they changed the escrow items to be permanent cap increases, that would fix it. Sure inflation means non-subs would have to spend more and more on them to keep up with acceptable caps, but I guarantee you that would be more money in EA's pockets.

Why don't I like subbing? Because I don't have the time or attention span to play a game every day for a month. It sucks when you subscribe to a game for a month of time then only play 3-4 days. That's where I'm at, and why I couldn't even get back to this thread for a few days. I had to subscribe for a month of game time to unload some of the items I had stored up, and after just a few days I'm pretty much done with the game again. $15 isn't a lot sure, but $15 can get me a full game on Stea...Origin that I have forever and can play whenever and for as long as I want. My St..Origin wishlist has a couple hundred games on it, I don't have the time or money to buy and play all of them, but spending $15 on a sub for a game I've already spend hundreds of dollars on just to use the AH for a month means that's one less game being taken off my wishlist.

Why don't I like subbing? Because I don't have the time or attention span to play a game every day for a month.
I have to ask, if EA/BW upgraded the subscriber benefits (which you suggest in your OP), would you have more time or attention to play SWTOR? If not, then isn't this thread just another request that EA/BW make it easier for players to drop their subscriptions without any likelihood of recouping that revenue?

I agree that SWTOR's F2P restrictions are onerous ... and effective. When I came back to SWTOR after quitting before the advent of F2P, I lasted about ten minutes as Preferred before renewing my subscription. I just couldn't tolerate not having Hide Helmet. So, from my own experience, F2P is working as intended.

How does that refute anything? It's well-established that F2P works, even in games without subscriptions (see: Buy-to-play models like GW2... you buy the box and then you get everything for free). GW2 is not struggling to my knowledge.

Furthermore, it makes sense that the bulk of purchases would be made by subscribers. Considering the awful restrictions in place, why would someone who has a lot of money to spend on the CM not also pick up a sub?

Ok, that's your opinion, as you said. It doesn't change the facts of the success that other games have had without needing the degree of restrictions this game has.

Just a quick note, not to really get into the merits of the F2P model, but according to NCSoft's last quarter report, GW2 revenue is dropping very, very quickly. Thus why the recent half baked, overpriced expansion and the announcement within three months of the last expansion of a new one.

That being said, I don't think it was ever BW's intent to truly make a true F2P model, but more a try before you buy model. In the case of our guild, we have had a lot of recent players start as F2P then go sub since we regularly run FPs and Ops.

My personal opinion is I get enough play time every month from the game to warrant supporting BW by maintaining a subscription.

My personal opinion is I get enough play time every month from the game to warrant supporting BW by maintaining a subscription.
I concur. But that begs the question ... If you ever chose not to subscribe for some period of time (e.g., money's a little tight that month), would you continue to play as F2P until you could sub again or would you quit the game? Because that is the discussion we should be having. Whether the F2P model somehow discourages new players from subscribing is irrelevant. But do those F2P restrictions cause current subscribers who decide to temporarily drop their subs (for whatever reason) to quit? Are there enough players who say, "I can't afford this month, but I refuse to play F2P for a while, so I'm quitting forever."? Edited by Thoronmir

I do feel they should have more access tiers. But the tiers would have to recognize substantial levels of cartel market investment.

I also think that along with some changes to the free to play/preferred model, they should enhance the benefits of the subscription model, adding a few more perks (like a repeatable ability to earn CC in game, adjustable difficulty settings, more customization options, cheaper vendor prices, higher crystal payouts, etc.) to make it more desirable.

I think the current free to play model is too prohibitive to encourage market participation and continued purchases like other games. STO is a great example of this. A game that does not punish you for avoiding a sub, but instead encourages you to pony up cash in the store for goodies.

Frankly, it is just far too easy to walk away from this game for extended periods without spending a single dime on it. I can't say the same for other games I play. I should be spending more here...and I just don't.

Edited by LordArtemis

Except the bulk of purchases made on the cm are from subscribers. As stated by BW.

That statement was made in early 2013. The "new car smell" hadn't quite worn off the F2P conversion and many consider 2013 one of TOR's most successful content years ever. Of course subscribers were highly represented, the game was actually worth subscribing to then.

These days the CM seems to be operating in panic mode (Grand Chance Cubes, higher pack price for fewer drops, rescaled rarities, skewing the drop chances to favor more junk, a recycling of old packs).

Their new "story-only" focus certainly doesn't encourage long term subscriptions. You only need to pay for a month every year or two to catch up. The group content is beyond stale so there's little to do outside of the one-and-done story.

The wretched way they treat preferred folks doesn't encourage people to sub it chases them away.

I concur. But that begs the question ... If you ever chose not to subscribe for some period of time (e.g., money's a little tight that month), would you continue to play as F2P until you could sub again or would you quit the game? Because that is the discussion we should be having. Whether the F2P model somehow discourages new players from subscribing is irrelevant. But do those F2P restrictions cause current subscribers who decide to temporarily drop their subs (for whatever reason) to quit? Are there enough players who say, "I can't afford this month, but I refuse to play F2P for a while, so I'm quitting forever."?

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I have been F2P for half a year and have returned to subbing afterwards. Every game requires monetary investment to enjoy in its entirety. Might as well be a game in a universe I love.

Also, it didnt feel bad. Yeah it is restrictive but what else do you expect? You get to play all the class stories entirely. That is hours and hours and hours of free stuff. And the good stuff if you ask me. The only problem I had is with the price of artifact authorization, that seems a bit steep. But otherwise I find these f2p complaints to be largely unfounded and often come across as entitled and spoiled.*

*Individual restrictions could very well be a subject for discussion but the fact that there are quite a few restrictions should not be.

Edited by Gokkus

I concur. But that begs the question ... If you ever chose not to subscribe for some period of time (e.g., money's a little tight that month), would you continue to play as F2P until you could sub again or would you quit the game? Because that is the discussion we should be having. Whether the F2P model somehow discourages new players from subscribing is irrelevant. But do those F2P restrictions cause current subscribers who decide to temporarily drop their subs (for whatever reason) to quit? Are there enough players who say, "I can't afford this month, but I refuse to play F2P for a while, so I'm quitting forever."?

While I can't speak for everyone, I am of the group that quits when they unsub. Not necessarily forever, but the breaks that I do take, I do not sub and do not play. The restrictions are too harsh for me. That credit cap is probably the worst. I recently picked up the game again after about 8 months of being away, and after 10 minutes of playing, I resubbed. And about an hour after that, I hit what would have been my credit cap. But not just that one, it's a whole bunch of other things as well.

I did get into a discussion with someone some time ago about whether these restrictions are a "punishment" or not. This person brought up a very good point. The f2p model here is more of a demo. If you have never played the game before, the demo might be enough for you, but after so much time of playing the full game, would you really come back to playing a demo?

The one time I let my sub lapse (I haven't been here super long), I pretty much logged in briefly to work on DvL and that was about it.

There was a time in my life, I think, when I would have shrugged at the restrictions and enjoyed the game for what it is, but the fact is, the market is really competitive, my tastes are more clear to me than they used to be, and if I were to stop playing SWTOR today, I would not struggle to find an alternative game to occupy my downtime; there are games I already own, that it wouldn't cost me a dime to go back to, some of which have new stuff I can do for free.

I am also a solo player in this game, so I don't have any friends I feel obligated to stick with. In fact, the only real reason I haven't gone back to those other games is because I like SWTOR more.

I have to ask, if EA/BW upgraded the subscriber benefits (which you suggest in your OP), would you have more time or attention to play SWTOR? If not, then isn't this thread just another request that EA/BW make it easier for players to drop their subscriptions without any likelihood of recouping that revenue?

I agree that SWTOR's F2P restrictions are onerous ... and effective. When I came back to SWTOR after quitting before the advent of F2P, I lasted about ten minutes as Preferred before renewing my subscription. I just couldn't tolerate not having Hide Helmet. So, from my own experience, F2P is working as intended.

The point is they wouldn't lose revenue. I have so much money I am willing to spend on this game, I don't like spending that money on "time" which I may or may not use, but I am fine with spending it on tangible things that are mine permanently. I spent 5000 GC on lockboxes this month (and selling my duplicates is part of the reason I felt forced to subscribe), I'm not here to leech off a free game, I just don't like when it feels like my money is being wasted.

Most F2P games have no subscription option at all, period. F2P works on it's own, and it works very well. Only a handful of western games continue to cling to some form of subscription bonus system, and it is highly unlikely they get any benefit from it. It's just fear of letting go of something they know and trust. People are going to spend what they can on a game, whether that's $5 every few months, or $50 per month, trying to force them into diverting $15 every month just for basic gameplay mechanics is going to alienate a large number of players and simply reduce what other people who stick around are willing to spend on things like lockboxes or costumes.

If they removed the subscription limitations entirely and half their subscribers stopped paying $15 a month for it, those same players would very likely be spending that $15 a month on the store, and they'd gain a large amount of new players willing to spend perhaps a lot less than that. Even players who spend nothing are a benefit though, more people in the game making it more alive, more people spreading the word about the game and increasing it's popularity, the larger the game population the more likely they are to pull in a few new whales.

I do feel they should have more access tiers. But the tiers would have to recognize substantial levels of cartel market investment.

I also think that along with some changes to the free to play/preferred model, they should enhance the benefits of the subscription model, adding a few more perks (like a repeatable ability to earn CC in game, adjustable difficulty settings, more customization options, cheaper vendor prices, higher crystal payouts, etc.) to make it more desirable.

I think the current free to play model is too prohibitive to encourage market participation and continued purchases like other games. STO is a great example of this. A game that does not punish you for avoiding a sub, but instead encourages you to pony up cash in the store for goodies.

Frankly, it is just far too easy to walk away from this game for extended periods without spending a single dime on it. I can't say the same for other games I play. I should be spending more here...and I just don't.

Never fix something that is not actually broken.

We are 4 years in to the current business model now, and it very much appears to be working as intended.

This game is a flexible access model, that allows the player to choose among three tiers of access, based on their needs and choices. We DO NOT need more variations on the model, and I challenge you to prove otherwise. :) and NO... people complaining about F2P while actually subbing and posting here does not qualify IMO.

Edited by Andryah

If they removed the subscription limitations entirely and half their subscribers stopped paying $15 a month for it, those same players would very likely be spending that $15 a month on the store, and they'd gain a large amount of new players willing to spend perhaps a lot less than that. Even players who spend nothing are a benefit though, more people in the game making it more alive, more people spreading the word about the game and increasing it's popularity, the larger the game population the more likely they are to pull in a few new whales.

I hadn't thought about the popularity + whale factor. That's an excellent point.

I know this was @Wayshuba, but I would like to also answer this. I would continue as F2P as I already play on a F2P account as well and really don't find it as bad as so many in this thread find it. As long as I find the game fun I will continue to play in one form or another.

Things that would make me walk away at the moment is server merging. I don't find it fun to play on any planet where's there 100+ players on. If I log in and find that many I just go to a different server. This would not be an option if servers were merged. Like one or two have said I too started out as A F2P, but subbed within no time, I would sub for the other F2P accounts if I could afford to. Yes it's far far better as a sub but by no means unplayable as a F2P.

I also agree with the player who said that SWTOR F2P is really a try before you buy. I also don't think what other games do relevant at all. Saying well its an MMO and this is an MMO so its the same, well how about I go to my local car dealer and say well all cars get you from A to B so all should be the same price after all they are all cars.

You might I would not, I pretty much have all the cartel stuff I want, not opposed to getting more as freebees like from the DvL event but buying CC? Had some this month but first lot in almost a year. most Items I have are all from complementary CC either by way of monthly CC or the added CC though special promotions and security key. I don't even by cartel items from GTN any more. The CC I did buy is no where near the amount of sub I pay.

You are making a huge assumption here, may well turn out to be right but a huge gamble on BW part if they did it. If they did and it did not work the game would end without really any notice. Kind of like a shop that's gone under, some have a huge closing down sale (which would be pointless on a game) other just have a note in the window saying closed. If this went under you just wont be able to log in, it may be mentioned on the news as star wars galaxy was but other then that servers would just be gone.

You might I would not, I pretty much have all the cartel stuff I want, not opposed to getting more as freebees like from the DvL event but buying CC? Had some this month but first lot in almost a year. most Items I have are all from complementary CC either by way of monthly CC or the added CC though special promotions and security key. I don't even by cartel items from GTN any more. The CC I did buy is no where near the amount of sub I pay.

You are making a huge assumption here, may well turn out to be right but a huge gamble on BW part if they did it. If they did and it did not work the game would end without really any notice. Kind of like a shop that's gone under, some have a huge closing down sale (which would be pointless on a game) other just have a note in the window saying closed. If this went under you just wont be able to log in, it may be mentioned on the news as star wars galaxy was but other then that servers would just be gone.

^ I'm not saying that I'm cheap and wouldn't pay if I thought I could get away with it by having all of the perks a sb gets now by being a preferred, but for whatever logic reason in my head, paying for a subscriptions feels like a better use of my money than getting the whole game and then just paying for CC. Then again, unlike someone else in the thread who only plays about four or so days a month, I play at least a day every week if not every night with the occasional two or three week break playing another game for a while, so my $30 USD for 60 days comes to 50 cents USD a day for me.

Like the poster I quoted, I generally don't buy CC. I bought CC three times in the three years I've been playing this game - to see what being a pref was like and to decide if I wanted to subscribe just yet, to buy the Clandestine Officer's outfit, and to fund a massive shift around during the 90 CC server transfers for my alts to be consolidated to their respective "sets" and the spread my achievements around that I didn't want to do over and over and over again.

We are 4 years in to the current business model now, and it very much appears to be working as intended.

This game is a flexible access model, that allows the player to choose among three tiers of access, based on their needs and choices. We DO NOT need more variations on the model, and I challenge you to prove otherwise. :) and NO... people complaining about F2P while actually subbing and posting here does not qualify IMO.

I appreciate the counter and the discourse Andryah. I think both opinions need to be seen and heard. Though we do not agree, you make a compelling argument against.

And no, I can't offer proof. Only Bioware could offer that, if any. It is just my opinion, which means really next to nothing at the end of the day naturally ;)

That's not how business works, or how profit is made. If there's a hint that more profit can be made with a better model, the business heads will be intrigued. They obviously have the data to debate among themselves whether changing the model is a good idea or not. Certainly there is some risk involved in change no matter what, but if the model is bleeding players or profit in certain areas, it'd be pretty hard for them to convince themselves that it's not worth fixing.

What it comes down to, usually, is not some idea about not fixing what isn't broken... it's more likely that it comes down to resources. To switch up the model, they have to invest man hours in designing a new one, including both the technical aspects of its design and the analytics to ensure that it has good projections for improvement. They have done this kind of thing before. When they adopted the chapter a month development model, for instance, or when they implemented the Jan-Aug monthly subscriber rewards.

As for "proving" we need variations... that's beside the point. One could argue that the model is already needlessly complicated and could benefit from less complexity. I don't see anyone arguing that it needs to be more complicated. The burden of proof part is also irrelevant. We can only argue theoretically by 1) comparing models from different games and 2) making theoretical arguments about the potential benefits and drawbacks of a particular model.

It's irrelevant what the data is about how successful SWTOR's model is, in detail, because none of us have access to it. Point being, whether it appears to be working or not appears to be working is not an argument that any of us can seriously back up. We're limited, in that regard, to anecdotal evidence, based on individuals saying what parts of the model do or don't work for them. But contrary to what it might seem like I'm implying, it is good for us to share that individual experience because it gives the developers one more piece of data on the matter.

Making theoretical arguments is helpful as well because it gives them something to think about and may, on occasion, spark an insight or perspective that they wouldn't have otherwise seen. The devs aren't gods, after all. They're just people like us trying to do the best they can.

The point is they wouldn't lose revenue. If they removed the subscription limitations entirely and half their subscribers stopped paying $15 a month for it, those same players would very likely be spending that $15 a month on the store, and they'd gain a large amount of new players willing to spend perhaps a lot less than that. Even players who spend nothing are a benefit though, more people in the game making it more alive, more people spreading the word about the game and increasing it's popularity, the larger the game population the more likely they are to pull in a few new whales.

This may or may not be true as for losing revenue and current subs spending $15 on store stuff in place of monthly. Here is the difference from a business perspective, however. If they have say 500,000 recurring subs paying an average of $14/month, they KNOW that the following month's revenue will be a minimum of $7mil. They do NOT know if that will be the case with store purchases only. For example, will I really spend $15 month on store stuff or, more than likely, maybe spend $45 once every three months (from a business perspective it is not the same thing).

Secondly, we do not know if those that spend $15/month is subs might also be the ones already spending an additional $15/month in store stuff. Now if you take the sub out, you are getting half as much revenue from these customers as you did before.

From my personal perspective, I have taken a break in the past from SWTOR - mainly due to RL issues. I was here in beta, was a Founder, and subbed for a while in the beginning then took a couple years off. When I came back, the very first thing I did was purchase a sub. I am fortunate enough to be a member of an excellent guild that has been together almost 15 years through multiple MMOs, so we get plenty of activity in group content to make it worth the sub. F2P or sub has no bearing on whether I will play or not. I have not touched GW2 in over two years even though I have several level 80 characters and could play anytime I wanted, yet I log into SWTOR almost every day.

F2P or not really has no bearing on me personally whether I will play or not and, truth be told, I prefer a sub model over F2P in general (not just SWTORs F2P). To me, the longer a game goes F2P and relies on those store purchases, the more gimmicky it becomes to get people buying from the store. Over time, this degrades the quality of the game as more and more is diverted to making a game drive players to the store or the game interface becomes constant spam to "buy now" from the store (I am looking at you LOTRO).

Looking at server status right now i would say there would be a problem with free to play on this game, across the board all servers are light. this is not good, sure its early in the morning yadda yadda yadda, but other games at this time are still having full population servers. you know what game i am talking about.

if this game has such a great F2P model then where are those free players? they definitely aren't lined up to jam the server population. i would have to say most wont play it with its staggering limitations. here's the bottom line if people are in the door of your book store lets say, most of those people end up buying something in some form or another, if no one is in the book store guess what, that store will close down.

So in fact with the servers currently all light population, their isn't many people interested in this product and willing to spend any type of currency real or not real. the free model drives them away. those people spouting sub or leave really need to wake up to reality....