HK-55 for non subscribers

moonhunterdeath

Cue cries of "entitlement!" from people who are cowering in fear of their shinies being somehow made less special.

Honestly, I wholeheartedly support this. Make Nico and HK-55 available to people, and I say that as someone who is subbed and currently have both of them. The real entitlement here are the people who are so desperate to feel special and better than someone else that they'll defend their little toy's exclusivity rather than share.

While the community for SWTOR is overall pretty decent, when it comes down to anything that isn't for the subscribers, the "Forget You, Got Mine" sentiment here is absolutely ugly. All the sub awards are is "here's stuff because you were lucky enough to have enough money on hand to spend on a game subscription".

As I've said in similar threads to this, I would understand being upset at allowing items to be made more widely available if it was something one worked for. For example, in WoW there's the violet proto-drake mount that's the reward for completing the It's Been A Long Strange Trip achievement. To complete the achievement, it involves a year minimum of doing assorted things in game ranging from PvP to limited time events. It took me about a year and a half of working on it to get my big fuscia flying lizard so I would be upset if they decided to just give that away to just anyone. I'd even understand being upset if they decided to give out a cartel coin stipend to anyone because the cartel coins do have a particular value in that real money is spent on them.

But for the subscriber rewards here, most of them I don't even use and wouldn't care if they stopped giving out the awards at all. I pay my sub because I enjoy the game, not for whatever monthly freebies they give out of various usability.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you miss the entire point of the subscriber reward program then. It's not about "monthly freebies." It's about incentives for remaining a loyal customer in SWTOR and not just cancelling your sub at the drop of a hat. If BioWare were to just make all of these subscriber rewards available later on the CM, there would be absolutely zero incentive to be a subscriber. Thus, very few (if anyone) would subscribe at all. That would negatively impact the game and hurt its longevity.

Having a healthy and stable subscriber base is something every MMO needs, as microtransactions are sporadic and not always a reliable source of revenue. The very least BioWare can do is reward those who actually remain subscribed. You may not see that as fair from your perspective, but that is the reality of a business and how MMOs have been run for well over a decade.

I think you miss the entire point of the subscriber reward program then. It's not about "monthly freebies." It's about incentives for remaining a loyal customer in SWTOR and not just cancelling your sub at the drop of a hat. If BioWare were to just make all of these subscriber rewards available later on the CM, there would be absolutely zero incentive to be a subscriber. Thus, very few (if anyone) would subscribe at all. That would negatively impact the game and hurt its longevity.

Having a healthy and stable subscriber base is something every MMO needs, as microtransactions are sporadic and not always a reliable source of revenue. The very least BioWare can do is reward those who actually remain subscribed. You may not see that as fair from your perspective, but that is the reality of a business and how MMOs have been run for well over a decade.

Exactly.

Honestly, if Bioware someday will make a huge and unique reward for subscribers with more than 3 years+ of subscription - i give 100% that forum will be filled with ranting like OP is.

Like "We also deserve it!!!111"

P.S. And i really hope that Bioware will make something like this... A truly unique and bad*** companion would be awsome.

Hell no, it's a subscriber reward for a reason, if they put it out for everyone after some time it destroys the purpose of subscriber rewards. As a subscriber it is not fair that you subbed for so long for the rewards to only have those EXCLUSIVE rewards be tossed out for everyone to have.

If you want and HM droid go and find HK-51, if not tough luck for you, they day they make subscriber rewards like HK-55 available is they day i leave SWTOR

I think it would only be fair if you would make HK-55 available in cartel market for people who couldn't or weren't subscribed on January 11th 2016 instead of making it seem like a punishment for the people who weren't subscribed.

I completely agree with you. Although they can't do anything about it now, because it would be false advertisement to change things now for subscriber rewards for Knights of the Fallen Empire. But I will say that promising companions and story mission content as subscriber rewards is just plain wrong. Items, such as crystals, mounts, moddable armor, decorations, etc. are all one thing. We have plenty of all that to buy in the cartel market or earn in the game, so missing out on something such as items is no big deal. But missing out on a companion or story content, is a completely different story. Story content especially should never be withheld from any player that is willing to pay for it.

It's a good thing story content isn't being "withheld." As to your point on companions, there are well over 30 companions you can obtain thanks to KOTFE. Losing out of HK-55 isn't that big of a deal as there are plenty of others you can achieve. Unlike Nico, you can't even get HK-55 until you start KOTFE, so having him exclusive to subscribers is hardly unfair. If you really want him that badly, just never progress in the story and you can keep him forever.

It's a good thing story content isn't being "withheld." As to your point on companions, there are well over 30 companions you can obtain thanks to KOTFE. Losing out of HK-55 isn't that big of a deal as there are plenty of others you can achieve. Unlike Nico, you can't even get HK-55 until you start KOTFE, so having him exclusive to subscribers is hardly unfair. If you really want him that badly, just never progress in the story and you can keep him forever.

Wow, lol. You're a funny guy, you should do standup.

The problem is say in months from now, as an example. Say for a newer player HK-55 is destroyed (Never to be rebuilt.), but his friend has HK-55 rebuilt and standing right next to him. Plus the player with HK-55 rebuilt got to see a bonus story with HK-55, where the newer player lost him forever. Is it really fair to have the story that drastically different for two players like that? Especially when the newer player might have not even been playing the game at the time of the promotion period. Something like having story withheld and having say a mount withheld are two totally different things. A lot of people play SWTOR for the story and to miss out on story is a big deal for most. Especially when they are more than will to pay for said story at a later date, knowing about promotional period or not, is besides the point. I hope BioWare learns from this mistake and keeps subscriber rewards just to in-game items.

Wow, lol. You're a funny guy, you should do standup.

The problem is say in months from now, as an example. Say for a newer player HK-55 is destroyed (Never to be rebuilt.), but his friend has HK-55 rebuilt and standing right next to him. Plus the player with HK-55 rebuilt got to see a bonus story with HK-55, where the newer player lost him forever. Is it really fair to have the story that drastically different for two players like that? Especially when the newer player might have not even been playing the game at the time of the promotion period. Something like having story withheld and having say a mount withheld are two totally different things. A lot of people play SWTOR for the story and to miss out on story is a big deal for most. Especially when they are more than will to pay for said story at a later date, knowing about promotional period or not, is besides the point. I hope BioWare learns from this mistake and keeps subscriber rewards just to in-game items.

I wasn't alive when The Lord of the Rings first editions came out, can I get one of them? Or an original Sergeant Pepper's?

Just a thought. Can you get HK-55 from the terminal on Odessan after you finish KotFE? I know you can get some other companions back.

No. You cannot reclaim Darth Marr or HK-55 via that terminal. BioWare specifically stated this during the most recent producer live stream. If you could get HK-55 that way, there would be a huge outcry by subscribers on the forums about meaningless subscriber rewards that aren't being honored.

Forgive me for saying the obvious, but it clearly needs to be said: This is a subscription-based MMORPG. Yes, there is a F2P program. That being said, F2P is there as a trial to encourage players to become subscribers. BioWare WANTS you to be a subscriber. Thus, they are always going to reward their most loyal fans.

The HK-55 bonus mission is just that, a bonus mission. It in no way will move the plot of KOTFE forward and is largely comic relief. If you are so desperate to see it, you can be sure there will be plenty of videos on YouTube within the first 24 hours.

Subscriber rewards are nothing new to MMOs. SWTOR is not the first to do it and it certainly won't be the last. You can continue to sit on the forums all day complaining about how everybody should have access to this or that feature, or you can suck it up, subscribe, and never have to worry about this issue in the future.

I wasn't alive when The Lord of the Rings first editions came out, can I get one of them? Or an original Sergeant Pepper's?

You can still get reprints, reissues, and remasters of both. Which contains the same story and the same music. So you're point is?...

No. You cannot reclaim Darth Marr or HK-55 via that terminal. BioWare specifically stated this during the most recent producer live stream. If you could get HK-55 that way, there would be a huge outcry by subscribers on the forums about meaningless subscriber rewards that aren't being honored.

Ah, kk, good. Would hate to think people were getting gifted things (even "meaningless" subscriber rewards) they didn't deserve, merely because they cried on the forums.

Edited by CrazyCT

You can still get reprints, reissues, and remasters of both. Which contains the same story and the same music. So you're point is?...

And these people can get a reprint of a companion, merely with a different skin on it, containing the same skills. What's your point?

Edited by CrazyCT

Wrong point of the thread.

Nobody should care about that 33rd companion. But chapter locked behind endless subscription? For unlocking that i would sing up.

That's exactly the point I've been trying to make as well. Missing out on story is the problem, not missing out on a companion. Although in this current scenario, the companion is connected to missing out on the extra story in this case though.

That's exactly the point I've been trying to make as well. Missing out on story is the problem, not missing out on a companion. Although in this current scenario, the companion is connected to missing out on the extra story in this case though.

Some people will have the companion and still miss out on the story but I personally don't see an issue with this, I read a lot of this thread and the name calling of entitlist going around and the same can be said to those who, like me, subscribed for the companion during the time of the scheduled date, just cause we subscribed in time doesn't mean we're entitled to tell others they are wrong to ask for the companion. HK-51 is a subscriber reward, you get him completely free, you don't have to spend extra money on the Cartel Market to buy the Access Authorization: Section X but going by a lot of what people say on here shouldn't they take that off the Cartel Market so it stays a free subscription reward? But then if they did that then people would complain about losing a source of income on the GTN, something both HK-55 and Nico could be to a lot of you that play the GTN. Just saying.

Edited by DarthEnrique

Quite simple really, if you wanted the chapter you should have stayed subbed. They explained it clearly how people could gain access to it. Sometimes life sucks insofar as things out of your control means you may not have been able to sub for the entire time but that's the way it goes sometimes.

The original plan for HK-55 was to kill him off, the entire point of bringing him back and the extra chapter was as a reward for those of us who were subbed at the time (and complained like hell the way he was killed off) and have continued to sub since then. I've played a lot of games over my years and yes sometimes missed out on some very cool stuff due to stuff like this and it sucks.

Accept it, and move on. There's nothing else to say or do on the subject.

Edited by BaineOs

Quite simple really, if you wanted the chapter you should have stayed subbed. They explained it clearly how people could gain access to it. Sometimes life sucks insofar as things out of your control means you may not have been able to sub for the entire time but that's the way it goes sometimes.

The original plan for HK-55 was to kill him off, the entire point of bringing him back and the extra chapter was as a reward for those of us who were subbed at the time (and complained like hell the way he was killed off) and have continued to sub since then. I've played a lot of games over my years and yes sometimes missed out on some very cool stuff due to stuff like this and it sucks.

Accept it, and move on. There's nothing else to say or do on the subject.

Yup whole point of subscriber rewards, need to be a sub to get them and it should stay that way. I've missed out on subscriber rewards before, it was disappointing but i didn't demand to have then come out, i just stayed a subscriber to get the rewards.

Overall it devalues the point of subscriber rewards, its exclusive for subscribers, if they are just going to give them to non subs anyways many people would not subscribe. It's like people wanting the founder title, and other subscriber exclusive items, just no, either be a sub for that period of time or don't. There is no reason to complain unless some subscription issue went wrong where. Other then that you guys have no right to complain where you didn't subscribe.

As for me who has been subscribed for 2 years strait without it relapsing i will be enjoying my EXCLUSIVE rewards that only subscribers at that period of time get.

Some people will have the companion and still miss out on the story but I personally don't see an issue with this, I read a lot of this thread and the name calling of entitlist going around and the same can be said to those who, like me, subscribed for the companion during the time of the scheduled date, just cause we subscribed in time doesn't mean we're entitled to tell others they are wrong to ask for the companion. HK-51 is a subscriber reward, you get him completely free, you don't have to spend extra money on the Cartel Market to buy the Access Authorization: Section X but going by a lot of what people say on here shouldn't they take that off the Cartel Market so it stays a free subscription reward? But then if they did that then people would complain about losing a source of income on the GTN, something both HK-55 and Nico could be to a lot of you that play the GTN. Just saying.

HK-51 isn't a subscriber reward it is a subscription perk. Subscriber Rewards are those in which you get for being a subscriber from a set period of time. HK-51 is always available for subscribers. That is an invalid point right there.