Petition: Bring the Old Republic era of Star Wars to Netflix

Exedong

Yes, yes, yes I remember the same spiel you told me about before. It was certainly an alternate universe, seeing as how that came out of the horse's mouth himself. As we learned, G-canon is the only relevant canon. The strongest form of canon and the only one that crossed over. Lucas never flip flopped, he was just walking on egg shells. He never regarded the EU as relevant but didn't want to flat out say that considering all the hate he had already been getting. He was done with Star Wars and didn't want to touch it anymore.

In regards to letting them both "flourish." I don't think there's anything stopping authors from writing more Legends material, but they're going where the money is, which is the same direction alongside the sequel trilogy.

Unfortunately Disney killed all Legends projects, and it is unlikely they'll restart Legends at all. TOR is the only exception iirc.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately Disney killed all Legends projects, and it is unlikely they'll restart Legends at all. TOR is the only exception iirc.

Indeed, but I wonder if there would be any issue if an author asked Disney for the creative license to make content and place it in the Legends continuity. If they specifically stated that this would not go along with Disney continuity and wouldn't clash with what they've come up with. I'd imagine this still most likely wouldn't fly with Disney because they run the risk of it taking attention away from the new continuity, but who knows. Stranger things have happened before.

Edited by Sage_of_Battle

Yes, yes, yes I remember the same spiel you told me about before. It was certainly an alternate universe, seeing as how that came out of the horse's mouth himself. As we learned, G-canon is the only relevant canon. The strongest form of canon and the only one that crossed over. Lucas never flip flopped, he was just walking on egg shells. He never regarded the EU as relevant but didn't want to flat out say that considering all the hate he had already been getting. He was done with Star Wars and didn't want to touch it anymore.

In regards to letting them both "flourish." I don't think there's anything stopping authors from writing more Legends material, but they're going where the money is, which is the same direction alongside the sequel trilogy.

So Leland chee just straigh up lied about everything coming from the same universe?

No he did flipped flopped,again there's nothing wrong with that but you're acting like he never did it.

He considered EU relevant a lot of C-canon made into his movies,the prequels for example had the clone wars multi-media Project which was EU.

The Money can be at legends too,not as much as a trilogy of movies with more marketing than the first avengers but the fact Revan and Jaina both won against "canon" characters proves people still care about legends.Granted those were fan pools but even i wasn't expecting Revan to win against Lando or Old Ben Kenobi.

Indeed, but I wonder if there would be any issue if an author asked Disney for the creative license to make content and place it in the Legends continuity. If they specifically stated that this would not go along with Disney continuity and wouldn't clash with what they've come up with. I'd imagine this still most likely wouldn't fly with Disney because they run the risk of it taking attention away from the new continuity, but who knows. Stranger things have happened before.

If i'm not mistaken the rights belong to Lucasfilm not the actors themselves,the only reason they didn't ditched TOR for example is probaly because EA had a different kind of contract set up.But yeah there is a risk of taking attention.

So Leland chee just straigh up lied about everything coming from the same universe?

No he did flipped flopped,again there's nothing wrong with that but you're acting like he never did it.

He considered EU relevant a lot of C-canon made into his movies,the prequels for example had the clone wars multi-media Project which was EU.

The Money can be at legends too,not as much as a trilogy of movies with more marketing than the first avengers but the fact Revan and Jaina both won against "canon" characters proves people still care about legends.Granted those were fan pools but even i wasn't expecting Revan to win against Lando or Old Ben Kenobi.

No, there was nothing to lie about. He never stated they were the same universe, because they never were. And again, Leland Chee's word are featherweights compared to Lucas'. Lucas never flip flopped. You can think he did but it's more likely that he just never flat out said what he felt for fear of increasing back lash. Your quote is fine and good, but outdated. Mine are much more recent and would be more relevant when taking into account. At this point, you're trying to tell me Lucas was lying aka the guy that created Star Wars, the guy that decided what was and wasn't canon. And my quote debunks that entirely. He flat out says he regards them as alternate universes and doesn't care much for them.

The money will never be the same as the current canon. The EU was never that big to begin with. Take SWTOR for example, only a little over a million that bought into and subbed. And this is supposed to be one of the favored timelines of the EU. Also, what do you mean they "won" against canon characters?

If i'm not mistaken the rights belong to Lucasfilm not the actors themselves,the only reason they didn't ditched TOR for example is probaly because EA had a different kind of contract set up.But yeah there is a risk of taking attention.

I don't know if you misread me or just typed it wrong but I meant authors, not actors. No, the authors don't own the rights, that much is true and obvious. But I wonder how a proposed idea for Legends content from an author to Disney would go like. What would be their response and what not.

Edited by Sage_of_Battle

No, there was nothing to lie about. He never stated they were the same universe, because they never were. And again, Leland Chee's word are featherweights compared to Lucas'. Lucas never flip flopped. You can think he did but it's more likely that he just never flat out said what he felt for fear of increasing back lash. Your quote is fine and good, but outdated. Mine are much more recent and would be more relevant when taking into account. At this point, you're trying to tell me Lucas was lying aka the guy that created Star Wars, the guy that decided what was and wasn't canon. And my quote debunks that entirely. He flat out says he regards them as alternate universes and doesn't care much for them.

The money will never be the same as the current canon. The EU was never that big to begin with. Take SWTOR for example, only a little over a million that bought into and subbed. And this is supposed to be one of the favored timelines of the EU. Also, what do you mean they "won" against canon characters?

I don't know if you misread me or just typed it wrong but I meant authors, not actors. No, the authors don't own the rights, that much is true and obvious. But I wonder how a proposed idea for Legends content from an author to Disney would go like. What would be their response and what not.

When i meant they won there was a hasbro fan poll of which figure they wanted next,some canon character such as Lando and Old Bem Kenobi were there but Jaina and revan stayed in 1st place.Also Lucas incorpored EU into his movies so when he flat out says he doesn't read he's either flip flopping or lying.He also intervened during some EU stuff telling that to do(reason we don't have that many jedi from teh wookie species was Lucas)http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_C-canon_elements_in_the_films

Also you forgot another variable,the EU compared to Disney EU is bigger as it sells more(not talking about quality here but last i checked they coudn't even hit new York best seller list)This game is hated because of the bad press initially and because it's na MMORPG,people want a single player RPG not na endless griding thing.Granted with the current way the game Works people can just play the storylines without having to worry about the MMO aspect of it,however few people are willing to give it another shot,so i woudn't blame lack of EU fans at SWTOR not being popular but rather the MMO aspect of it which drove some people away.

When i meant they won there was a hasbro fan poll of which figure they wanted next,some canon character such as Lando and Old Bem Kenobi were there but Jaina and revan stayed in 1st place.Also Lucas incorpored EU into his movies so when he flat out says he doesn't read he's either flip flopping or lying.He also intervened during some EU stuff telling that to do(reason we don't have that many jedi from teh wookie species was Lucas)http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_C-canon_elements_in_the_films

Also you forgot another variable,the EU compared to Disney EU is bigger as it sells more(not talking about quality here but last i checked they coudn't even hit new York best seller list)This game is hated because of the bad press initially and because it's na MMORPG,people want a single player RPG not na endless griding thing.Granted with the current way the game Works people can just play the storylines without having to worry about the MMO aspect of it,however few people are willing to give it another shot,so i woudn't blame lack of EU fans at SWTOR not being popular but rather the MMO aspect of it which drove some people away.

Fan polls on some forum should not be taken as a reliable source for official numbers. I can bet the amount of votes didn't even break 10k, which more than likely wouldn't be indicative of how big EU or non-EU fanbases are. He incorporated smaller portions of the EU that pertained to the same era of his films such as planets and races, languages etc. never full events or storylines. Most of which you can get from just reading the synopsis of the stories so I still believe he hardly read any of them.

You're comparing an EU that's had over 15 years of development to something that's just undergone work the last two years. That's like saying water is wet. Of course the EU compared to the Disney EU has made more money. But it's not money that Disney ever made so it's irrelevant to them. Whether the new books and comics will surpass is another question. The EU never was ground breaking in it's profits which is why LucasFilm never pursued them for films or series and why Disney wanted a reboot. Coupled with the release of the sequel trilogy, I can imagine it'll surpass anything the original EU has made due to the revitalization of Star Wars and all the hype, but that's all predictions. And both Aftermath and Bloodline(two books that recently came out under the Disney continuity) have hit New York Times Bestseller.

I wasn't saying anything about the game being hated, no one could've hated the game before it's release. It achieved a little over a million subs on release(a record of itself, the highest starting sub count of any MMO). That's the extent of the EU fanbase, which has never been as big as the casual audience that doesn't bother with the books and comics. The game still attracted the EU fanbase regardless of it being an MMO. It was only after they realized the game had no content at the time that the numbers dropped. I don't know what you're talking about in regards to "bad press." This game never got initial bad press. The exact opposite, people were predicting this to be the WoW killer.

Edited by Sage_of_Battle

Fan polls on some forum should not be taken as a reliable source for official numbers. I can bet the amount of votes didn't even break 10k, which more than likely wouldn't be indicative of how big EU or non-EU fanbases are. He incorporated smaller portions of the EU that pertained to the same era of his films such as planets and races, languages etc. never full events or storylines. Most of which you can get from just reading the synopsis of the stories so I still believe he hardly read any of them.

You're comparing an EU that's had over 15 years of development to something that's just undergone work the last two years. That's like saying water is wet. Of course the EU compared to the Disney EU has made more money. But it's not money that Disney ever made so it's irrelevant to them. Whether the new books and comics will surpass is another question. The EU never was ground breaking in it's profits which is why LucasFilm never pursued them for films or series and why Disney wanted a reboot. Coupled with the release of the sequel trilogy, I can imagine it'll surpass anything the original EU has made due to the revitalization of Star Wars and all the hype, but that's all predictions. And both Aftermath and Bloodline(two books that recently came out under the Disney continuity) have hit New York Times Bestseller.

I wasn't saying anything about the game being hated, no one could've hated the game before it's release. It achieved a little over a million subs on release(a record of itself, the highest starting sub count of any MMO). That's the extent of the EU fanbase, which has never been as big as the casual audience that doesn't bother with the books and comics. The game still attracted the EU fanbase regardless of it being an MMO. It was only after they realized the game had no content at the time that the numbers dropped. I don't know what you're talking about in regards to "bad press." This game never got initial bad press. The exact opposite, people were predicting this to be the WoW killer.

Fine ignore the polls then.

By "read" i mean exactly the synophysis,i'm not expeting Lucas to read every line of every book,he hired Chee to do it.But he still acknowledges it by putting into his movies.

Something that is made by Disney,their marketing campaigns should have done far better,i mean look at TFA,breaking box office,granted it's the so long awaited Sequel(that was more like a fan fic to me,hopefully VIII will be better)But still all i could hear about was TFA TFA,imagine if they put markenting to their own EU.IMO at least they could have already wrecked best seller list but they decided to focus on TFA and just now are really bringing the meat(Thrawn the temple at malachor ETC,idk if those are like Lucas introduction to his movies or just a flat out rip off).I can understand the hype but eventually hype dies out,and people willç just forget to move to the next trend.sadly that's how it's happening in the industry right now.

Yes called a WOW killer dropped 500k subs faster than you could say"orbital borbadment"Then the bad press starting happening(Which is when i meant initially,in the game's life,after launch ETC)Also the EU Fanbase is not a hive mind,some like the comics only,some like the books,some only the games,Assuming every last EU fan came here to play this game is as silly as assuming that every EU fan hates Disneyverse.

Fine ignore the polls then.

By "read" i mean exactly the synophysis,i'm not expeting Lucas to read every line of every book,he hired Chee to do it.But he still acknowledges it by putting into his movies.

Something that is made by Disney,their marketing campaigns should have done far better,i mean look at TFA,breaking box office,granted it's the so long awaited Sequel(that was more like a fan fic to me,hopefully VIII will be better)But still all i could hear about was TFA TFA,imagine if they put markenting to their own EU.IMO at least they could have already wrecked best seller list but they decided to focus on TFA and just now are really bringing the meat(Thrawn the temple at malachor ETC,idk if those are like Lucas introduction to his movies or just a flat out rip off).I can understand the hype but eventually hype dies out,and people willç just forget to move to the next trend.sadly that's how it's happening in the industry right now.

Yes called a WOW killer dropped 500k subs faster than you could say"orbital borbadment"Then the bad press starting happening(Which is when i meant initially,in the game's life,after launch ETC)Also the EU Fanbase is not a hive mind,some like the comics only,some like the books,some only the games,Assuming every last EU fan came here to play this game is as silly as assuming that every EU fan hates Disneyverse.

He acknowledges parts of it, parts that spice up his own works, but for the majority of it, no he doesn't. Look, this came directly from him. If he says that he never read them, never acknowledged them thoroughly in his films, and stated they were part of an alternate universe separate from his own, what more proof could you need? There's no reason for him to lie and no reason for us to think he's lying.

But they have already hit Best Seller. https://www.amazon.com/Bloodline-Star-Wars-Claudia-Gray/dp/0345511360

https://www.amazon.com/Aftermath-Star-Journey-Force-Awakens/dp/034551162X

You're kinda stating the obvious again here. Of course you're going to see more mainstream marketing for TFA, it attracts a much bigger crowd than a book. Expecting otherwise would just be illogical. How would they shoot commercials on TV for a book? When was the last time you've seen a billboard ad for an EU novel or any novel in general? Marketing will always be bigger for movies compared to books.

It's not a stretch to say that KOTOR is probably the most widely known piece of the EU currently. The most popular. I don't think it's that silly to say a large portion, maybe even most, of the EU gravitated to this game on launch. It's debatable as there are no concrete sources for numbers, but bottom line is the EU fanbase simply wasn't big enough for profitable consideration. Not compared to casual audiences that don't care for comics or novels. This really isn't debatable, it's the same case for nearly every work of fiction. It all goes back to the casual audience, the largest audience. If the EU had a Star Wars movie to it's name, perhaps an Old Republic film that broke box office records, had high viewers and positive reception, things might've been different. The EU might've been relevant enough to keep but it wasn't.

Edited by Sage_of_Battle

He acknowledges parts of it, parts that spice up his own works, but for the majority of it, no he doesn't. Look, this came directly from him. If he says that he never read them, never acknowledged them thoroughly in his films, and stated they were part of an alternate universe separate from his own, what more proof could you need? There's no reason for him to lie and no reason for us to think he's lying.

But they have already hit Best Seller. https://www.amazon.com/Bloodline-Star-Wars-Claudia-Gray/dp/0345511360

https://www.amazon.com/Aftermath-Star-Journey-Force-Awakens/dp/034551162X

You're kinda stating the obvious again here. Of course you're going to see more mainstream marketing for TFA, it attracts a much bigger crowd than a book. Expecting otherwise would just be illogical. How would they shoot commercials on TV for a book? When was the last time you've seen a billboard ad for an EU novel or any novel in general? Marketing will always be bigger for movies compared to books.

It's not a stretch to say that KOTOR is probably the most widely known piece of the EU currently. The most popular. I don't think it's that silly to say a large portion, maybe even most, of the EU gravitated to this game on launch. It's debatable as there are no concrete sources for numbers, but bottom line is the EU fanbase simply wasn't big enough for profitable consideration. Not compared to casual audiences that don't care for comics or novels. This really isn't debatable, it's the same case for nearly every work of fiction. It all goes back to the casual audience, the largest audience. If the EU had a Star Wars movie to it's name, perhaps an Old Republic film that broke box office records, had high viewers and positive reception, things might've been different. The EU might've been relevant enough to keep but it wasn't.

I meant getting there with their first novels,like Tarkin/Heir TO The Jedi.

Ok,if the EU isn't going to sell well.why the hell are they putting EU characters back into canon like Thrawn?Heck Ezra might as well be called Ezra Marek from now on.Again you're stating the obvious,movies will Always make more than books,but books aren't completely unproffitable,we're in the ages of movies/tv shows adaptions for books after all.

Edited by FlameYOL

I meant getting there with their first novels,like Tarkin/Heir TO The Jedi.

Ok,if the EU isn't going to sell well.why the hell are they putting EU characters back into canon like Thrawn?Heck Ezra might as well be called Ezra Marek from now on.Again you're stating the obvious,movies will Always make more than books,but books aren't completely unproffitable,we're in the ages of movies/tv shows adaptions for books after all.

Because Thrawn was one of the more popular characters from the EU, I'd wager. Coupled with the fact that there's increased hype due to the sequel trilogy, the new EU will likely become even more popular than the old(at least, if Disney plays their cards right and make quality content.) I'm almost certain they're not making Ezra anything like Marek. Completely different back stories. And if Disney knows anything about writing, they won't rewrite a totally **** character like Galen Marek. I don't know why you're saying "again" when you didn't make that point to begin with or why you're telling me something I already know. I never said books were completely unprofitable. But the old EU simply wasn't making that much money. That, coupled with it being completely convoluted and all over the place, it's not that hard to see why Disney hit a hard reset.

Edited by Sage_of_Battle

In regard of disney and old EU I say "Thrawn", it's obvious that Disney won't reinvent a whole new character set but rather bring back and recognize that of the EU that act as key elements to the Star Wars Fandom.

As for Disney, Marvel and Netflix I say "Daredevil" as an example what a successful cooperation can look like.

As for what is possible

Fanmovie was made back in 2007, and its
in 2011. Both movies crowdfunded in one way or another. so it need not to be a money production issue.

The possibilities for a among other thing Star Warsy in general and ToR especially is endless, BUT and there's a BIG BUT, finding people to capture the Soul of Star Wars is the real key, Filoni has in many ways become the true inheritor of George Lucas vision. I have high hopes for Gareth Edwards and R1.

So any "good" television adaptation of Star Wars is welcome,. . . really

Edited by t-darko

• 2 weeks later...
I don't really know why people said making TOR area will disrupt the new Disney movie. It was 3000 years before the Galactic Republic. I doubt anyone would remember who Revan was.

4000 years. And Revan was a well known name in the Republic 3000 years later. Not much they remembered about him, only that he saved the republic.

And yes, the Bane novel established that Revan was lightside and male, long before the book/this game did.

~ Eudoxia

• 1 month later...

Have you actually watched the Marvel Netflix shows? They are made on the cheap, I'm not sure you'll be happy with the end result. Leave Star Wars as movie franchise with 3d animation only tv shows please. (at least the 3d animation shows are ILM quality because it's made by ILM)

/not signed as I am not a fan of Tor anymore.

also this. Everyone's state of mind after getting burned by MMORPGs

Edited by Falensawino

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well SW Rebels already hinted some stuff that comes from the Old Republic (now legends) so there's a chance more stuff will become canon.

Kanan confirmed that the Mandalorian Wars happened and the whole setting, ruins, scorched jedis and arch in Malachor kinda looked like "Disney version" of the events in Malachor V from KOTOR2.

They already brought Thrawn from Legends being a fan favourite, so there's great chances they could bring stuff from the old republic back to canon.....if they are after fans favourite, they won't just let Revan go imho.

TOR will be made cause Disney wants to milk this cash cow for all that its worth and TOR has a huge following. Probably their next animated series after Rebels. I don't know about live action...that is difficult to do cause its expensive. Game of Thrones for example cost around 6 million to make whereas the average show only cost around 3.5 million Edited by DraconisXX

edit: Threads merged.

And what does it mean if they gather that amount of signatures?

Actual answer - Means absolutely nothing. On line petitions are just a way some fans show their support for an idea or project. Has no legal bearing.

Cynical answer - Some folks wasted their time trying to get a corporation to change their minds about something.

Besides, when has a change.org petition ever actually accomplished anything of relevance?
Edited by dr_mike