Treasure Hunting STEALTH nerf!

katanaacredus

Title says it all, the credit sellers got their nerf and the legit players got . . . screwed. And they did not even have the decency to put it in the patch notes, like we would never notice.

The missions that now cost more than you can recover from them. Thanks devs for jacking the players once again, I'm sure the credit sellers are loving you.

Edited by katanaacredus

This was my main source of income in the game considering how jacked up and broken Ebon Hawk's economy is. I rarely ever get angry enough at Bioware to rant against them, and I can usually understand their reasons for doing things, but this? Instead of actually taking some action and effort against goldsellers, you instead nerf something that punishes the legitimate players who just want to be afford basic things on their broken servers?

First let me just say that I never took advantage of this "feature."

Secondly, I agree with the nerf.

Here's the thing, lockbox missions in general and more specifically TH lockbox missions are and never were intended to be a primary income source. At best, you are supposed to recoup what you spend. When running lockbox missions the objective is the crits, not the credits.

Lastly, the SAME THING happened with Slicing lockboxes in 1.x. So it is not like there is no precedent for this happening.

First let me just say that I never took advantage of this "feature."

Secondly, I agree with the nerf.

Here's the thing, lockbox missions in general and more specifically TH lockbox missions are and never were intended to be a primary income source. At best, you are supposed to recoup what you spend. When running lockbox missions the objective is the crits, not the credits.

Lastly, the SAME THING happened with Slicing lockboxes in 1.x. So it is not like there is no precedent for this happening.

They have nerfed slicing multiple times, both missions and in-world lockboxes.

They have also nerfed other overly-generous repeatable raw credit sources over the years (in many cases multiple times) from chests, to dropped credits on defeated enemies, to space missions.

Anyone that hasn't grasped that Bioware does not intend for large amounts of raw credits to be generated outside of controlled and throttled missions has either not been paying attention or has comprehension issues.

And while I agree their communication skills are poor, I agree with the nerf.

I'm more upset over their lack of foresight and control processes that allowed TH missions to get to the point where they were generating crazy amount of credits using rank 50 companions.

I didn't notice it before, but when I went looking for it now it is the last line of the 4.7 patch notes.

As a new player still trying to get up and running I am totally against this nerf. This hadn't yet become a big credit source for me because my companions are still in the 20's, but now I have no way to earn credits on my main, because he was created right before DvL so I have no time to play him and do the event characters. So no instead of logging into that character to at least do a few crew missions I am going to abandon him for a while.

It is a real turn off for new players to have so few ways to earn credits when so many things cost so many. I know they are trying to encourage people to purchase more stuff, but my sub should be enough. I know that a lot of long term players are happy to see this nerf because they are already established, but that just means I definitely won't be buying your stuff off the GTN because I have to carefully budget my credits. That is if I don't get fed up with the grind and just quit.

This was my main source of income in the game considering how jacked up and broken Ebon Hawk's economy is. I rarely ever get angry enough at Bioware to rant against them, and I can usually understand their reasons for doing things, but this? Instead of actually taking some action and effort against goldsellers, you instead nerf something that punishes the legitimate players who just want to be afford basic things on their broken servers?

I don't know if it's still true today, but there were a few items I was watching that spiked up like crazy in the last week or so. I'm getting kinda tired of watching rare stuff I'm looking for and finding that it only gets more out of reach over time.

Seems slow gameplay periods are the worst for it because less people are playing, which means less putting rare stuff up for sale and less people occasionally getting really old rare stuff through cubes.

First the heroic nerf slowed me down and killed my drive to get credits. Now they revert heroic nerf, but do this. Coupling that with the increase in what stuff is selling for and my motivation has gone the way of eight track tapes.

I don't know anything about a STEALTH nerf :

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/892016/game-update-4.7-battle-odessen

Didn't you read the Patch Notes ?

If you had bothered to look at the DevTracker you'd know that was a late addition:

Hey folks,

I checked into this and you are correct, Treasure Hunting lockboxes are no longer dropping credits. This is an intended change to bring Treasure Hunting in line with other Crew Skills.

This was missed in the patch notes, which I will have corrected today. I apologize for any confusion this caused.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

It is a real turn off for new players to have so few ways to earn credits when so many things cost so many.

You should have played when there was ability training...and speeder piloting was prohibitively expensive...and running crew skill missions cost about 30% more than they do now. Yes, I sound like one of those old farts who say, "well back in my day, I walked to school uphill both ways in the snow, and liked it!" :p

For the LvD event I leveled a character from 1-65: I used nothing but random gear drops and the rare mission reward as upgrades (because there was no need to get anything better; I was not struggling to kill stuff ever), was nearly capped in Common Data Crystals when I hit 65, and I made over a million credits just from rewards and drops I did not use/need anymore.

If you are struggling to make credits, it is probably not making credits that is your problem...it's saving them.

There is absolutely nothing in this game that costs a lot of credits that is REQUIRED to have. Yes, if you want the latest "new shiny" ultra rare, PURELY COSMETIC, Cartel Market pack drop then yes you will have to save a lot of credits to get it. But with the significant bump in data crystal rewards, and the removal of ability training costs, and the fact that every heroic is soloable, one should NEVER have any issue getting gear while leveling that is good enough...not to mention level sync, so overgearing and overleveling is barely possible.

Spent 2 weeks to get 1,000,000?

500k a week is really not a good profit/time.

In your case it doesn't seem like much of a loss.

The way i read it he farmed 50 millions in 2 weeks to buy something from gtn. If that's the case that's 25/week and ~3.5 millions a day. Not bad at all.

... he shouldnt be complaining i know people who have a hard time breaking 250k let alone a million credits lol

if anyone really pays attention to detail there are acheivements for collecting 100k, 1m, and 10m credits... as BW kind of hinted that this was something to be a challenge. its not BWs fault the community is a bunch of money hungry tyrants...

... he shouldnt be complaining i know people who have a hard time breaking 250k let alone a million credits lol

if anyone really pays attention to detail there are acheivements for collecting 100k, 1m, and 10m credits... as BW kind of hinted that this was something to be a challenge. its not BWs fault the community is a bunch of money hungry tyrants...

Well to be candid back in 1.x when those achievements were introduced, it was a challenge to reach 100k, and 1m and 10m. I remember reaching that 10m mark and thinking, "OMG I FINALLY DID IT!!!" Now I make 10m a week.

You should have played when there was ability training...and speeder piloting was prohibitively expensive...and running crew skill missions cost about 30% more than they do now. Yes, I sound like one of those old farts who say, "well back in my day, I walked to school uphill both ways in the snow, and liked it!" :p

i remember a lot of cussing, but not much liking towards those particular aspects of the game.

oh yeah...I once forced my girlfriend to play like we had to...no sprint till 15, even with the speed we level at now she was crying. When I told her pilot speeding lvl one...our first mount...didn't show up till 25 she looked at me like I had 3 heads.

Congrats, Treasure hunting is now the most useless crew skill. You can burn through credits very fast trying to level it quickly. You have to sell all the gifts on the GTN to break even, or make a bit of cash if you get a decent level purple, but damn. How many bots were there? Were they the ones wrecking the economy? Is that why certain things on my server cost 70 million? Wouldn't it have been better to destroy the farmers by making every package available all the time or something?

Congrats, Treasure hunting is now the most useless crew skill.

Have you considered using Treasure Hunting for it's primary purpose, which is to generate materials for Artifice?

During 4.0, anything my Artifice toon crafts sells in very short order. I actually cannot run Treasure Hunting missions quickly enough to keep up with the demand.

Only running lockbox missions on TH is a bit short-sighted, IMO.

During 4.0, anything my Artifice toon crafts sells in very short order. I actually cannot run Treasure Hunting missions quickly enough to keep up with the demand.

Same here.

Not only that, but doing so goes against the design intent of gathering and mission skills.

Edited by psandak

Have you considered using Treasure Hunting for it's primary purpose, which is to generate materials for Artifice?

Well, I used to, but then it became clear that it's cheaper to buy the end product than actually craft them (as in the money you could make from either selling mats or buying them to do the crafting), for most everything in the game, so I kind of stopped crafting generally, except for the odd augment. But I don't run ops generally, so I don't have the terrific crafting drops I need to make the best items.

Well, I used to, but then it became clear that it's cheaper to buy the end product than actually craft them (as in the money you could make from either selling mats or buying them to do the crafting), for most everything in the game, so I kind of stopped crafting generally, except for the odd augment. But I don't run ops generally, so I don't have the terrific crafting drops I need to make the best items.

Then you ain't crafting right :)

Not going to give away secrets but you really need to look again at EVERY crafting skill.

FYI 99% of what I craft for profit (across all crafting skills) is trained, or trained and RE, or a rep vendor schematic (no need to run ops ever). While I do have a significant number of ops level schematics, I do not bother to craft them for profit because on those you are right...it is cheaper to buy them off the GTN than to craft them. I have TWO color crystal schematics from ops I got before 4.0 (which btw you cannot get the schematics anymore), that I craft regularly but guess what, a lot of the time, they ain't any more valuable on the GTN than the color crystals I craft from trained schematics.

That being said, I am firm believer in quantity over quality. I would rather sell a hundred items that cost me 10k to 20k to make at 30k to 50k each, then try to sell 1 one million+ credit item that cost me 950k to make.

Edited by psandak

Then you ain't crafting right :)

Not going to give away secrets but you really need to look again at EVERY crafting skill.

FYI 99% of what I craft for profit (across all crafting skills) is trained, or trained and RE, or a rep vendor schematic (no need to run ops ever). While I do have a significant number of ops level schematics, I do not bother to craft them for profit because on those you are right...it is cheaper to buy them off the GTN than to craft them. I have TWO color crystal schematics from ops I got before 4.0 (which btw you cannot get the schematics anymore), that I craft regularly but guess what, a lot of the time, they ain't any more valuable on the GTN than the color crystals I craft from trained schematics.

That being said, I am firm believer in quantity over quality. I would rather sell a hundred items that cost me 10k to 20k to make at 30k to 50k each, then try to sell 1 one million+ credit item that cost me 950k to make.

Well, I will take another look, I have them all at 550.

Same here.

Not only that, but doing so goes against the design intent of gathering and mission skills.

I don't think it actually did go against the original intent. If it did they would have named it something else besides a lock box. lock boxes throughout the game all contain cash, but things that don't are named something else, like companion gifts.

I'm slightly surprised that BioWare don't simply remove lockboxes from TH / Slicing altogether, either that or have those lockboxes only produce materials and gathering missions in varying quantity / quality depending on the skill in question (and the occasional orange / purple armour shell)

Zero credits on both.

I wouldn't take issue with it, there are other gathering missions if your intent is to get companion gifts. The gathering missions shouldn't be a source of primary income within the game, unless you are straight out selling purple materials on the GTN and not using them for crafting (in which case it wouldn't break the economy, and if set right would make crafted items cheaper to buy).

As for the comment above about going for credit sellers? BioWare clearly have, it's down to players to run the gathering missions as they were intended to be run, not generate credits in the same manner as the credit sellers.

Really? I mean really? The community is a bunch of money hungry tyrants? The GTN's economy is passed almost purely of the CM and subject to change do to decreased player base and random bugs that allow people to duplicate an item or whatever. Chance cubes jacked up prices, the Alliance crates are filled with useless ugly armor. So now we got new junk and people want old stuff. Yes chance cubed gave random stuff from every pack making average items not extremely expensive but Gold items are even more rare than ever not to meantion you just get scavanged scrap, a companion gift and then open your cubes to get customizations or some useless item. Old crates were better, specifically the Stronghold series. 7 items everytime that always dropped a SH deco. Good money. Don't blame the players, blame EAware for creating the system we have. Players are greedy? The people who spend REAL money can decide how much FAKE money they want. Don't complain if you aren't contributing. Maybe EAware should peovide more for their playerbase and veterans instead of creating silly events to bring in new players.

To sum it up, increases prices is because:

1. Failed Cartel Market Strategy.

2. Dwindling Player Base.

3. Changes and Bugs

4. Not much incentives in game. (All the cool stuff is on CM)

So sub all you want. 15 a month doesn't = loyalty anymore just an unlimited credit card and they still won't care.

Edited by VixenRawR