DvL: What makes you deviate from an all-out Dark or Light streak?

KyaniteD

Even if you're 100% set on helping the DvL to a certain outcome with regard to the state of the galaxy and/or the companion that will join you in the end, what makes you break and go against your Force alignment?

My bounty hunter, for example, is a lightsider at heart, but Savorin Malfus the Seventh's attitude of entitlement made her break with everything mom taught her and she beat him. Twice. (With Mako's approval both times.) I hope that will not determine the fate of the galaxy, because really, we probably did it (and us) an actual favor.

Edited by KyaniteD

Even if you're 100% set on helping the DvL to a certain outcome with regard to the state of the galaxy and/or the companion that will join you in the end, what makes you break and go against your Force alignment?

My bounty hunter, for example, is a lightsider at heart, but Savorin Malfus the Seventh's attitude of entitlement made her break with everything mom taught her and she beat him. Twice. (With Mako's approval both times.) I hope that will not determine the fate of the galaxy, because really, we probably did it (and us) an actual favor.

I also loved beating this guy.

On the OP: my LS consular made her only DS choice on Tatooine: there was a Jedi Master who studied Tuskens, and had rather DS results. LS was to tell him to forget it, DS to either report it to the Republic (that supposedly would want to make an army of them) or 'let the Council decide'. My LS Consular is loyal to the Council, thus DS choice. One of those choices that should be rather neutral, I guess

Edited by jstankaroslo

All the story so far has been pretty bad, not sure why I'll care about this new companion. Companions end up with the same abilities anyway too.

GSF/PVP are the remaining bastions of decent game play, and you can't use companions in PVP, and the new content removes your companions from GSF. The new companions do not show up as options in GSF.

So I do what I want. (Which I would anyway.)

Edited by ThrakhathSpawn

Lol, this was the exact same breaking point for my 99% LS BH when I leveled her.

Because alot of the choices, both light and darkmare just plain stupid. I mean there is evil, then corney twirling your handlebar mustache tying a damsel to the tracks evil that some choices relay. Same for the light side. I just am not going to make my character into a satire of good and evil.

not to mention, I can just use diplomacy to counter the choices.

I don't care much for a streak and play always ow it feels right for a character, I guess I will grind the Light V and Dark V with Diplomacy at one point, but overall I don't care much for either side to win, even though I think I take a little more often light side choices than dark side ones. I think both companions look nice, and I hope that either way it will be an interesting story that comes out of this event.

As I am more interested in the LS companion, nothing is making me deviate from an all-out Light streak. I'm even farming additional LS points as often as possible through dailies that offer conversations with LS/DS choices (assuming those even count, but I haven't seen anything that says they do not).

I have a hard time believing an all-LS or DS character's story, personally. My Jedi Consular is being played (as decided pre-DvL-event-so-I-rerolled-her-when-she-was-Level-3) as an insecure youth who has grown up being called a prodigy with all the expectations of being one on her. So, she tries to do the right thing, which sometimes isn't the LS-thing (Taris story, End of Chapter One, and that's all I've got for certain decided for her).

My planned Darth Nox will have LS choices involving slaves, however.

The rest ... meh, nothing really decided.

My longest-to-break-alignment character wasn't a DvL character. My original trooperette (OK, my *second* character, but my first trooper) made Light V somewhere during her character story on Voss, maybe Corellia (it was over two years ago, geez!), having relentlessly followed a "Light-only" rule since the moment she stepped out of the walker on Ord Mantell. She continued Light-only throughout the remaining part of her class story, Ilum, Makeb, Oricon, and FA/SoR/RotE, and broke with this policy when faced with the Zakuul reactor thing.

On DvL, my trooper broke all-Light somewhere on, I think, Tatooine and my Sorc broke all-Dark on Balmorra.

And regardless, the Sorc would have broken all-Dark on Belsavis.

Releasing the prisoner is the stupidest thing imaginable. She isn't that kind of stupid.

When Major Bessiker on Balmorra asked her to rescue his son from the jail, she instead killed the guy because the first words out of his mouth when she reached him ended with him calling her "alien filth"(1). I was disappointed that I could not tell his dear old dad that I killed Sonny because he was an ungrateful wretch.

(1) She's a Rattataki(1), but there's a time and a place for insulting someone like that, and it *ISN'T* when they have just arrived to rescue you.

(2) With Dark I eyes and every piece of head metal the character designer would let me give her, BT 1, and the full undyed Xoxaan set, which closely matches her skin colour. *I* wouldn't want to cross someone who looked like that.

For the 2 toons that I leveled - Nothing.

100% lightside on both empire and republic toons no matter what the options were. When I finally decided to do the event at all, I went for the LS companion. It just made repeating the stories easier and quicker as I didn't have to listen to them again and again. Spacebar, find light side choice - click, spacebar - rinse - repeat as needed.

I'm only compelled to do all one way or the other on the Force users, and then I do the usual thing, Light Jedi and Dark Sith because the opposites make no sense for the latter and aren't very well provisioned for the former. That being said:

-my Jedi will bone whenever the opportunity arises. No exceptions. They also won't expose Moracen and whatshisface or the Nautolan Jedi chick and the other whatshisface for the Jedi Knight. In fact I quite like the exchange there:

Nautolan: You can't expose us!

JK: Don't worry I don't believe in the Jedi ban on marriage.

Kira: Understatement of the century.

-my Sith will let Thana Vesh go. They'll also likely make some wuss LS choices to woo the wuvely ladies (well, for Vette maybe. Ashara's grinding my last nerve and now that there are more options....).

-my warrior may make some LS choices according to some code of honor. TBD.

-My knight will strike down the Emperor (for all the good that'll do.:mad:)

For my non-Force users it's much more fluid (and realistic I suppose).

My smuggler is self-serving, but comes through for people when it counts, to everyone's surprise (even his own). A loveable rogue. Jack Sparrow-ish if you will, only without the leanings and the random things in his hair. I like

My BH is likewise pure merc and professional pride (he always gets the job done).

My Trooper is a patriotic sociopath who alternates between heroic and, well, the stereotypical psycho soldier. His berserk button is Imperials and traitors. He will always save Jaxo.

My agent is practical above all else but does not delight in random cruelty and can show calculated mercy. Despises the Sith and their meddling and longs for an Empire where order and efficiency, not insane wizards rule the land.

Because alot of the choices, both light and darkmare just plain stupid. I mean there is evil, then corney twirling your handlebar mustache tying a damsel to the tracks evil that some choices relay. Same for the light side. I just am not going to make my character into a satire of good and evil.

not to mention, I can just use diplomacy to counter the choices.

That's true, and the question is deliberately put into the context of the DvL event, where there's a more or less strong incentive to align with one side exclusively (and make some concessions here and there) and diplomacy doesn't counter your choices because it doesn't count for the state of the galaxy tally.

Ki Sazen made my DvL LS Operative pick Dark Side choices. Sending her back to the Jedi so that she could start fighting the Empire again was just... stupid. Not to mention the DS choice came with other *cough* perks too. :p

Ki Sazen made my DvL LS Operative pick Dark Side choices. Sending her back to the Jedi so that she could start fighting the Empire again was just... stupid. Not to mention the DS choice came with other *cough* perks too. :p

Crazy Jedi are no better than crazy Sith. Best to put them down.

I don't.

All my characters regardless of class are Light Side. Because i will feel bad afterwards if i do.

Also because the Sith Classes Dark Side choices mostly come down to the 'Stupid Evil' Trope where as their Light Side choices come off as Pragmatic or simply 'Not Luca Blight or Caim'. (i hope at least one of you gets those references.).

What makes me Deviate?

Good writing.

Give me something that is worth sitting through, rather than Space Barring my way past to get to the appropriate Glowie Thingie to rack up Dark/Light Points and I will make more varied choices.

So far this game does quite well in that respect, so I haven't made a 'pure' character yet.

An accident, someone started talking to me when I was mid conversation in game and I'd literally just been on an LS character so I clicked an LS option without thinking (How can I restart a conversation?) No, I'm a weird one, I'm playing a DS character out of the urge to do the Warrior's story as a dark sider- but I love Vette and Quinn so my character is nice to them but severely cruel to everyone else... also I want to win the LS companion but I'm sick of the DS always losing, it gets complicated.

If you are an inquisitor, you just have to Kill Harkun. No reasonable Sith would have allowed him to live. That should be a nuetral choice. He was very disobedient and disrespectful. Edited by Yezzan

Despises the Sith and their meddling and longs for an Empire where order and efficiency, not insane wizards rule the land.

I laughed out loud to this. I shall now forever refer to Sith in my head as "insane wizards".

An accident, someone started talking to me when I was mid conversation in game and I'd literally just been on an LS character so I clicked an LS option without thinking (How can I restart a conversation?) No, I'm a weird one, I'm playing a DS character out of the urge to do the Warrior's story as a dark sider- but I love Vette and Quinn so my character is nice to them but severely cruel to everyone else... also I want to win the LS companion but I'm sick of the DS always losing, it gets complicated.

Haha, yes, sounds complicated. At least you can find something to celebrate no matter the outcome of DvL? I can sympathize with the switching between LS and DS characters. Could totally happen to me, too. (You can only restart conversations while they're still going on (hit ESC and restart). For everything that's not a class mission you have the option to completely reset the quest in mission log.)

I don't.

All my characters regardless of class are Light Side. Because i will feel bad afterwards if i do.

Also because the Sith Classes Dark Side choices mostly come down to the 'Stupid Evil' Trope where as their Light Side choices come off as Pragmatic or simply 'Not Luca Blight or Caim'. (i hope at least one of you gets those references.).

I have the same problem. I want to do one Dark Side V character for the event, but the DS choices often just seem so....silly. I mean, there's "ruthless effective evil" and there's "mwhahahaha! EEEEEVVVILLLL", which I find kind of silly. Pointless sadistic slaughter isn't "evil". It's just being insane and dangerous. I have trouble seeing how the Empire survived as long as it did with the Sith constantly tearing at each other like a pack of rabid dogs. Not to say the "good guys" don't do bad things too, of course. Some Republican NPCs are pretty nasty.

Just Sith tend to favor the "I'll kill the messenger...and his damn dog too!" as well as "You failed even though there was no way you could NOT fail? MURDER TIME!". No wonder Force Users are "rare". They're constantly murdering each other off and weakening themselves by keeping the numbers low.

That said, Jedi cripple themselves too in completely different ways and some LS choices are just plain idiocy.