Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

SW:Rebels Season III

t-darko

I rather enjoyed the latest episode, it had a ESB feel to it. In the sense that like Luke, Ezra was made to understand that Fear is an obstacle easily taken advantage of by an opponent or misread by someone that doesn't have to be your enemy. Overall the tone and touch feels a bit more, well, more of everything really and we're learning "new" things about the Force.

On the argument of Maul being a fan product or a Filoni hell spawn( a bit harsh I know, but still the impression I get sometimes reading these concerns) I was working with 10 to 12 year olds at the time of the release of TPM, and in that crowd at that time Maul was a distinct fan favorite. And though I can understand the frustration surrounding Maul by the fans knee deep in books and comics, keep in mind, for the more casual fan I could argue that we got exactly that much Maul that we need for the story.

Kanaan's beard is growing on me(pun intended), and Bendu is a great character, tremendously voiced by Tom Baker and excellently written in general, but, yep, there's a "but", I initially have gotten a most irritating "Marjory the Trash Heap" (Some of you might need a google

) vibe every time he appears!! Please Dave, make this feeling go away . . . Edited by t-darko

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the Bendu is great and Tom Baker (the best Doctor) was a perfect choice.

~ Eudoxia

I might be in love with you. Aye, in general to this post.

Edit: took me hours to figure out why the voice sounded so familiar. Finally just imdb'd it, and lost my... recycled collection of foodstuffs.

Edited by myrdinn

Clone Wars got good after Season 3.

Rebels is childish at times but is getting better.

Wedge's debut was alright. Looking forward to more Thrawn next weekend though. Let's see a real arc with him as the main villain.

~ Eudoxia

My thoughts as well, is season 3 the magic season? where the fan, at the target age reach the "big enough" status to handle a less "childish" approach!? I honestly don't know myself, I installed a viewing filter way back when TPM introduced the gungans in general and Jar-Jar Binks in particular!!

I think we've so far have seen less filler action( and chopper), more interesting conversations and themes, much as we did in the first five episodes of S3 of the TCW, for this season to be any near the previous seasons in that respect. Season 1 & 2 we did get the occasional episodes that took a leap from the "childish" show that this actually are meant to be.

My concern is another one entirely, the general feeling I get is that it is this cartoon that moves the franchise forward storywise atm. Well that isn't my only concern, saw the release schedule for toys. books and what nots surrounding Rouge One; Disney isn't shy that earning that extra Credit into their coffers is their main concern. The franchise is literally spitting out stuff to earn them that extra buck, in such a rate that it is hard to keep up as a fan, well there I got that said.

This episode then, well, not my cup of tea really, but solid, and a bit sad, we know how it ends for Hobbie . . .

Edited by t-darko

This episode then, well, not my cup of tea really, but solid, and a bit sad, we know how it ends for Hobbie . . .

Unless you know something I don't, we don't know at all how it ends for Hobbie. He doesn't die in either canon or legends, and he's around at least as late as episode 5 in canon.

Unless you know something I don't, we don't know at all how it ends for Hobbie. He doesn't die in either canon or legends, and he's around at least as late as episode 5 in canon.

I always felt it went bad when he ejected out of his from his Snowspeeder, but you're right . . . we don't "know" do we!!

EDIT: So been rewatching the episode, think I did watch it a bit hasty the first round! Semi Epic moment when agent Kallus pays back his "lifedebt"? to Zeb in lettin' Sabine escape with, with, the Imperial pilots. An odd thing to do, lettin' Sabine go, yes, but the pilots!! Kallus is also very discontent with how his fellow officers act, their lack of honor seem to be bothersome to him!!

Add to that the new "Fulcrom", well, I'm intrigued . . .

Edited by t-darko

I always felt it went bad when he ejected out of his from his Snowspeeder, but you're right . . . we don't "know" do we!!

EDIT: So been rewatching the episode, think I did watch it a bit hasty the first round! Semi Epic moment when agent Kallus pays back his "lifedebt"? to Zeb in lettin' Sabine escape with, with, the Imperial pilots. An odd thing to do, lettin' Sabine go, yes, but the pilots!! Kallus is also very discontent with how his fellow officers act, their lack of honor seem to be bothersome to him!!

Add to that the new "Fulcrom", well, I'm intrigued . . .

+ Kallus finding no signs of defectors in his investigation. Could be chance. Or could be something more.

I highly suspect Kallus will defect at some point, and him being the new Fulcrum would be an interesting twist.

It's good that we have 20ish episodes of this, no question of what made this episode. I'm getting a Hans Landa vibe of Thrawn. It's good that we're moving away from the clear cut shade of black and white, much as the episode with Zeb and Kallus in season 2 it challenge us viewer in a manner that is respectful, we find ourselves to like the characters that we're supposed to dislike. Also moving away from the "always miss, butt always get hit" average stormtrooper feels healthy, those guys are gaining sympathy for all the wrong reasons. But there's a simple truth here; the greater the Villains, the greater the Heroes will be!!

Thrawn is a notch up for the series as Vader can't be overly used in all commonly coming and goings. I would even argue that in a short retrospective that the Inquisitors have been somewhat tiresome and overused, though killing of the Grand Inquisitor did get us one great villian less. In that we could even argue that bringing Thrawn back rather than invent a new Super villain was a logical choice! And the first glimpse of what is required from a Legend character to be fully adapted onto Canon, rather than a refaced, renamed obviously based on a Legend character write in.

I enjoyed this episode:)

Edited by t-darko

+ Kallus finding no signs of defectors in his investigation. Could be chance. Or could be something more.

I highly suspect Kallus will defect at some point, and him being the new Fulcrum would be an interesting twist.

This is exactly what I am suspecting; I think the new Fulcrum is Kallus. I also do not think he'll survive Thrawn, though... but he will go the noble route.

Kalikori means "Beginning" in the Twi'lek language, so it's not likely to be an intentional nod to Kalikori Village in SWTOR.

~ Eudoxia

Considering the hammerhead cruisers in last season, pretty good chance it was an influence.

Certainly less obscure than the Twi'lek language.

Next episode we are dealing with CIS droids. Not sure what the Rebels will do but I would say let them harass the Empire while also have a way to deal with them.

It's likely the Empire reprogrammed them for defence. They also did this in the EU, they continued to use the remnants of the Droid army for operations in the outer rim and some of the technology went into the Dark Trooper project.

~ Eudoxia

It's likely the Empire reprogrammed them for defence. They also did this in the EU, they continued to use the remnants of the Droid army for operations in the outer rim and some of the technology went into the Dark Trooper project.

~ Eudoxia

Might be a good time for a Rex and Cody reunion in a way. Some people want that to happen and Cody does have experience with the droids.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.