Shields on KOTFE ships

unibim

Where are they?

Gravestone dont have them. Eternal Fleet dont have them. I assume Arcann flagship dont have them either.

Even shuttles dont have them.

I could understand about Gravestone. Buried for hundred of years probably before shields were invented (or they just wont work with whatever powering omnicannon).

But Eternal Fleet? What explanation can be about that?

Where are they?

Gravestone dont have them. Eternal Fleet dont have them. I assume Arcann flagship dont have them either.

Even shuttles dont have them.

I could understand about Gravestone. Buried for hundred of years probably before shields were invented (or they just wont work with whatever powering omnicannon).

But Eternal Fleet? What explanation can be about that?

Same reason TIE fighters didn't...

The Eternal Fleet is built to overwhelm enemies through sheer speed and numbers.

As for the Gravestone, yeah, it was just in a state of disrepair (blame "Captain Fatfingers").

Edited by BradTheImpaler

You could also probably blame it on inconsistency. Just like in the movies, as well. They want to show explosions, etc. in space, so the ships might supposed have shields, but they don't actually show turbolaser bolts and stuff getting absorbed.

The only reason TIE fighters for the most part don't (a few models do) is because of their size. It's a trade-off in that case, just like why they don't have hyperdrives either. There's no reason you should have to have that trade off on a vessel that's about 500 meters long and mostly automated, meaning no significant requirements for crew and life support.

~ Eudoxia

Edited by FlavivsAetivs

You could also probably blame it on inconsistency. Just like in the movies, as well. They want to show explosions, etc. in space, so the ships might supposed have shields, but they don't actually show turbolaser bolts and stuff getting absorbed.

The only reason TIE fighters for the most part don't (a few models do) is because of their size. It's a trade-off in that case, just like why they don't have hyperdrives either. There's no reason you should have to have that trade off on a vessel that's about 500 meters long and mostly automated, meaning no significant requirements for crew and life support.

~ Eudoxia

Some TIEs actually do have shields, just not your average "grunt" TIE fighter. We're talking about ships significantly faster than others and in great enough numbers that the could take on both the Republic and Imperial fleets and blockade their capitals simultaneously. Even ramming Darth Marr's flagship through the Fleet barely made a difference.

It could also be incompetence/arrogance on Arcann's part (hardly surprising). If anyone's the type to divert all power from shields to turbolasers, it's him or Vaylin.

They probably do have shields, they're a more advanced (Rakata) design and that's why they're more powerful and faster than the Republic and Sith warships.

~ Eudoxia

Hm, why Rakata design? Eternal Fleet as described does not completely suit their style of technology, as it seems to me.

They probably do have shields, they're a more advanced (Rakata) design and that's why they're more powerful and faster than the Republic and Sith warships.

~ Eudoxia

Doubtful. Considering that they can be destroyed by blast wave (see ramming ending of chapter 1)