"State of the Galaxy" outcome in the Dark vs Light event

BaronBS

"Plus, the outcome of everyone’s dark and light side decisions will determine the state of the galaxy as the future of Star Wars: The Old Republic evolves this fall. So be sure to check here to see which side is dominating and stay tuned for more details!"

Do we have any information on what this means? The answer, I think, determines whether the new-players-only justification for the event holds water. The wording of that passage worries me -- are new players going to determine in-game canon?

Does anyone have info on this, devs or otherwise? I was hoping for some from the livestream, but no avail it seems

EDIT: removed sentence saying we should accept this is for new players because obviously that starts fights

Edited by BaronBS

The main thing seems to be the companion and thats all as a guarentee.

What it does to the Galaxy probably isn't anything to get worked up or even think about given this statement.

"Dark vs Light event may affect more than just the companions you get but we are still working on that and no promises."

Something to dismiss really.

No. Let's not. Let's accept that it is designed for players. *All* the players, except perhaps the ones who declared themselves mortally offended by the idea of a new-character-only event.

IF they wanted to reward veteran players as they claim why give hte cheap looking HK crap. Why not give cartel packs to veterans as this event does for new games so easily while older gamers have to run that old content again.

This is entirely an event for new players but at the end of the day, the players that have been around a while are made to feel like secondary.

Here is your loyalty rewards for subbing each month. HK themed items you wont use or care for because their of little value and a poorly designed mount. While you play the 45 min chapter 2 days.

New players, we made an event for you that allows you to get cartel packs. The most expensive pack to date and some unique designed mount. You veterans that want a piece of that well, just scrap the things you did for the past 5 years. And do it again.

There needs to be some balance here and BW missed the mark. This event was designed around nothing but new players and busy work for older gamers.

Edited by Quraswren

What it does to the Galaxy probably isn't anything to get worked up or even think about given this statement.

"Dark vs Light event may affect more than just the companions you get but we are still working on that and no promises."

If they really dismissed it in the livestream, then why WAS IT EVER IN THE EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT TO BEGIN WITH!? Pretty sure that falls in the "False Advertising" category.

Either do it or don't, but this sort of maybe we'll do it, without even defining what "it" is=ridiculous.

IF they wanted to reward veteran players as they claim why give hte cheap looking HK crap. Why not give cartel packs to veterans as this event does for new games so easily while older gamers have to run that old content again.

This is entirely an event for new players but at the end of the day, the players that have been around a while are made to feel like secondary.

Here is your loyalty rewards for subbing each month. HK themed items you wont use or care for because their of little value and a poorly designed mount. While you play the 45 min chapter 2 days.

New players, we made an event for you that allows you to get cartel packs. The most expensive pack to date and some unique designed mount. You veterans that want a piece of that well, just scrap the things you did for the past 5 years. And do it again.

There needs to be some balance here and BW missed the mark. This event was designed around nothing but new players and busy work for older gamers.

You just sound bitter. I'm an old player, I've played two characters to 25+ in the event so far and joined a guild on one. I've participated in chatter and had generally entertaining evenings. Isn't that the point?

This event was designed to revisit the old content in order to celebrate that old content for the 5 year anniversary. It wasn't intended to be a veteran reward. Veteran players aren't losing anything. There are new rewards for new achievements. If you don't like revisiting old content, then no event will make you happy since they are only new for one day and then it's grind the same few quests for weeks to get reputation and rewards. We missed out on 2 hours of new fetch quests to have a differently themed event (and the Nightlife event didn't even have that!). Would you have preferred another box of fireworks instead?

Not all veteran players have finished every class - I know for me (here since beta) this event is a nice added incentive to finally roll a Smuggler; and heck there's nothing that says you can't be a veteran and also not hate the idea of rerunning a class you already have done - after I finish with the Smuggler, I'm kind of looking forward to rerolling an Inquisitor and seeing what that story is like with a female character.

I don't think this "event" (it's really just a promotion) is "oh-emm-gee! Best thing evar!" by any stretch, and it certainly doesn't skew in favor of veterans over new players - I doubt I'll pursue the Legendary tier, but that's my prerogative - but I have a really hard time seeing this as the 'slap to the face' that others want to cast it as just because it's not appealing to them.

You just sound bitter. I'm an old player, I've played two characters to 25+ in the event so far and joined a guild on one. I've participated in chatter and had generally entertaining evenings. Isn't that the point?

Bitter? No. Just disappointed in the design direction.

I don't think this "event" (it's really just a promotion) is "oh-emm-gee! Best thing evar!" by any stretch, and it certainly doesn't skew in favor of veterans over new players - I doubt I'll pursue the Legendary tier, but that's my prerogative - but I have a really hard time seeing this as the 'slap to the face' that others want to cast it as just because it's not appealing to them.

I think a lot of veteran players feel the "slap to the face" (overused forum analogy) more keenly because of having run essentially the same event last two summers with 12xp and Double XP but with no rewards, certainly not like the ones now. So now, new players are doing the same things the vets did two years ago, but are getting a lot more for it than the vets ever did when they ran alt-aholic events before. Similar/same effort, but very different outcome.

I'm sure a lot more could be said, but there's not much point into turning this thread into yet another of the similar ones still running about the DvL event.

Is that a paraphrase/quote from the Livestream?

Anyways, if you all look at my post history, you'll see I'm very much on the 'slap in the face to long-standing players' side of this argument, but I was -trying- to set that aside and ask this question.

IF they wanted to reward veteran players as they claim why give hte cheap looking HK crap.

Non-sequitur. The HK rewards aren't part of the event. (And they aren't focused on veteran players either, just on subscribers at the right moments.)

Nevertheless, veterans will have an easier time meeting the requirements for the higher tiers because they have more.

More what?

* more presence - a new player will have almost none

* more skills on their Heroic Moment skillbar - a new player will have only one on his first character

* more bonuses in their class buff abilities - a new player will have only one effect on his first character

* more companion bonuses to the Heroic Moment (is that still a thing?)

* more gear available in collections to speed the very earliest phases of the game

* more (player) skill at playing

* more credits lying around on other characters to facilitate the new character's early activities

* more stocks of crafting materials for the crafting requirements

* more combat-only companions unlocked to release crew skill-compatible companions for crew skill work

* etc.

That list is long enough that I'm beginning to think the event is designed for veteran players, not new players.

Non-sequitur. The HK rewards aren't part of the event. (And they aren't focused on veteran players either, just on subscribers at the right moments.)

Nevertheless, veterans will have an easier time meeting the requirements for the higher tiers because they have more.

More what?

* more skills on their Heroic Moment skillbar - a new player will have only one on his first character

* more bonuses in their class buff abilities - a new player will have only one effect on his first character

* more gear available in collections to speed the very earliest phases of the game

* more credits lying around on other characters to facilitate the new character's early activities

* more combat-only companions unlocked to release crew skill-compatible companions for crew skill work

* etc.

That list is long enough that I'm beginning to think the event is designed for veteran players, not new players.

For someone with cynic in their name, you're awfully rosey-eyed.

Is that a paraphrase/quote from the Livestream?

Anyways, if you all look at my post history, you'll see I'm very much on the 'slap in the face to long-standing players' side of this argument, but I was -trying- to set that aside and ask this question.

It was from the Q&A part.

More what?

* etc.

Seriously?

Most of the things on this list are so negligible in terms of actual gameplay impact that I don't know why you think BW would make any decisions around them.

The only significant things to impact the speed of leveling are going to be the player skill level (not everyone who's been playing knows all the classes or can figure them out quickly enough or efficiently to level as fast as you're thinking) and credits/gear prepared for the new toons.

Since they didn't announce the details until the Thursday before, not sure how many people would've had the time to prepare everything.

But if you've really talked yourself into believing this is for veterans, lol.

For someone with cynic in their name, you're awfully rosey-eyed.

Nah, I'm just a cynical old f*rt. My point there was that the assertion "it's for new players" isn't so clear-cut as the "slap in the face" crowd like to suggest. I remain unconvinced that it is even close to the best thing they could have done, but it's not nearly as horrible as people seem to want to think.

I'm participating because it gives me a reason to do some different stuff.(1) My LvD commando will progress without romancing Aric, and will romance Theron into KotFE, something I planned to do with my main commando, but failed miserably at when I reached the pool/Lana scene. The JK I create for LvD will be my first Sentinel. I created a female Rattataki SI (probably a Sorc, but we'll see) who wears the native-colour Xoxxaan (?sp) set and looks almost like some sort of ghost. For the rest of it, we'll see.

And I'm having fun with it so far. And that's the important part, not complaining on the forums, nor debating the question of who the event is designed for.

(1) Compare: the Wayfarer's Reverie event in GW1. I said the same thing about that.

Seriously?

Not more than around 30% serious.

Most of the things on this list are so negligible in terms of actual gameplay impact that I don't know why you think BW would make any decisions around them.

I very much doubt they made any decisions around those differences, either for or against.

The only significant things to impact the speed of leveling are going to be the player skill level (not everyone who's been playing knows all the classes or can figure them out quickly enough or efficiently to level as fast as you're thinking) and credits/gear prepared for the new toons.

There is more to the event than *just* levelling up to 65. To get the top tier, you have to do a lot of crafting. Having materials and/or credits ready will accelerate that process. To do *all* flashpoints, it will surely help to know how to play, which veterans *should* (agreed, many won't) know about, while new players won't.

Since they didn't announce the details until the Thursday before, not sure how many people would've had the time to prepare everything.

Probably not many, but I had enough junky lowbie mats saved up to reach Armstech 90 or so without *having* to buy either gatherable materials or crew skill vendor materials.

But if you've really talked yourself into believing this is for veterans, lol.

I must start either labelling my jokes more clearly or writing with 21st Century crap grammar/spelling, so as to persuade people that I'm not always deadly serious. No, I don't think it was designed for any particular group of players, aside perhaps "players who would be interested in an event like this."

I've been playing this game almost since launch and it took me some time to get all 8 classes done. I am an altoholic but it took a great deal of self persuasion to force myself through the Consular and Trooper storylines, but I did eventually get through it. That being said, I doubt that I will ever go for the Legendary achievement. I just don't have enough time and patience.

That being said, as an altoholic, I have no problem creating two new toons (1 pub and 1 imp) which is all you need to achieve the Eternal Level and get the companion. I'm also an avid companion collector (Class companions, story companions, star fortress, alliance alerts, and cartel market) so for me the effort it takes to get either Ranos or Hexid is worth it to me.

I want to say that the veteran players who dislike this event do not like it because they favor end game content as opposed to vanilla, storyline content. These veteran's most likely have only one of each advanced class while I myself, as I said before an avid altoholic, has a character dedicated for just about every discipline. Yes, I have three sorcs and three assassins. I simply love the vanilla storylines and I love leveling characters.

My final thought is that I don't buy into that this event is for new players vs veteran players. What it comes down to is do you still enjoy the original content and enjoy running it and leveling new toons or have you done all that already and didn't enjoy it enough to run it again?

Honestly, for me, even without this event, I would eventually do all of this again anyway. But that's just me?

I think a lot of veteran players feel the "slap to the face" (overused forum analogy) more keenly because of having run essentially the same event last two summers with 12xp and Double XP but with no rewards, certainly not like the ones now. So now, new players are doing the same things the vets did two years ago, but are getting a lot more for it than the vets ever did when they ran alt-aholic events before. Similar/same effort, but very different outcome.

Did old Brits feel slapped in the face when the NHS was introduced? Back in their day, they had to pay their own healthcare costs direct! Now this uppity new generation of Brits get their healthcare by doing no more than paying their taxes, the same as the old generation?!

If they did, that's pretty poo-y of them. Just like it's pretty poo-y of angsty vets to pee on newcomers' parades because they get to enjoy more shiny-news.

The ultimate vet reward would be to give them a Vet-exclusive server with vanilla 1.0 content, so all of them can go over there and stare outside the window of the star fleet in a wheelchair and talk about how "new players got it so easy nowadays, back in me days, I had to do all the achievements with no legacy system, I had to walk around taris, butt naked, in the cold..." Edited by DenariusJay

The ultimate vet reward would be to give them a Vet-exclusive server with vanilla 1.0 content, so all of them can go over there and stare outside the window of the star fleet in a wheelchair and talk about how "new players got it so easy nowadays, back in me days, I had to do all the achievements with no legacy system, I had to walk around taris, butt naked, in the cold..."

We literally had to WALK everywhere until like lvl 10....15? can't remember. speeder piloting was lvl 25. /shudder. :D

Did old Brits feel slapped in the face when the NHS was introduced? Back in their day, they had to pay their own healthcare costs direct! Now this uppity new generation of Brits get their healthcare by doing no more than paying their taxes, the same as the old generation?!

If they did, that's pretty poo-y of them. Just like it's pretty poo-y of angsty vets to pee on newcomers' parades because they get to enjoy more shiny-news.

So, according to this:

1. This is somehow equatable to healthcare in the UK.....um ok. Guess I'll take your word for it since I've never been there and don't care to research it for the sake of a game forum post.

2. Veteran players are trying to keep new players from enjoying the game?

Firstly, not sure how this equates with taxes/healthcare since those are obligatory and subs/rewards to a video game are optional.

Secondly, how did you jump from veterans not feeling the event was fair (which you basically admit in the second part of your statement) to veterans are trying to ruin the game for new players? The complaints are not against new players. The complaints are levied at Bioware's poor creative decisions and/or implementation.

Edited by BorisKarloffe