LS/DS Event info?

Toraak

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have only ever seen Bioware say that they havent put in chat bubbles because they hurt performance too much. I have never seen them promise them, only that they would like to add them if they can overcome the performance hit they create.

I'm certainly not an expert on these things but I wonder if a compromise might be possible with chat bubbles. Could it be written so that they could only be used in certain places like strongholds or guild ships? That would eliminate the performance issue in warzones and fleet.

While they may not have said exactly "WE PROMISE CHAT BUBBLES", they have absolutely indicated it was something they were actively trying to add to the game. Here are a few from his sig:

• James Ohlen promised chat bubbles to be a "high priority in BioWare's list of things to do".

• Damion Schubert confirmed that chat bubbles will be implemented: "They're definitely on the list. We’ve got many active roleplayers in the dev team and chat bubbles have always been important to us. We actually had chat bubbles in beta, but there was unfortunately some serious performance issues that our implementation caused that, for example, made things really suck in warzones and the fleet. They’ll be coming soon, but in priority, the GUI team is focused first on GUI customization. I'll have a better idea of timing once we get past that. And yes, for people who hate them, whenever we do them, they'll be toggleable."

• So...uh. We think we've got that worked out though. So chat bubbles: YES!"

• Daniel Erickson - "As we come to the end of our big must-have features (like Group Finder), updates are driven more and more by the community. Expect to see far more of the smaller quality of life requested features (color matching for companions, chat bubbles, etc.) start to get real traction under them in the near future."

• Cory Kolek -. "So, yes, we would like to implement them again, but when we do we want to do it right."

• At the NYC Cantina Tour Q&A, the developers were asked about chat bubbles by fellow community member SawneyRath and replied that "Chat Bubbles are indeed being worked on"

• Damion Schubert had the following to say when asked about chat bubbles: "They are on the list." Schubert continued to say that they are not soon, but they are on there somewhere.

• Michael Backus (Lead Designer): "I promise you we're investigating it and I promise as soon as you...as soon as we know it's a thing you guys will hear a big announcement about it."

Again...those may not be "Hey, it's coming in 4.X", but they are absolutely promises of development.

I don't even want them tbh, but others do...in order for this game to live long, it needs "others" playing it.

To me, saying something is in development but has serious issues is not the same as promising it will be added.

To me, saying something is in development but has serious issues is not the same as promising it will be added.

Ugh...I'm not trying to argue, nor do I even want freaking chat bubbles...I'm simply pointing out that numerous times they DID indicate it was coming.

Ugh...I'm not trying to argue, nor do I even want freaking chat bubbles...I'm simply pointing out that numerous times they DID indicate it was coming.

Ah come on, you know you want some chat bubbles. Look, tell ya what, first ones are free. Everybody is doing it, it'll make ya feeeeel good.

Like gray side of the force? For those players that didn't go light or dark. All we've seen was a Chapter telling us how important it is.

Ah come on, you know you want some chat bubbles. Look, tell ya what, first ones are free. Everybody is doing it, it'll make ya feeeeel good.

NO! I DON'T WANT IT....I DON'T WANNA TRY IT! Nancy Regan told me I can JUST SAY NO and you can't make me...can you?

Like gray side of the force? For those players that didn't go light or dark. All we've seen was a Chapter telling us how important it is.

Exactly like that...but different...yet exactly like it...:confused:

NO! I DON'T WANT IT....I DON'T WANNA TRY IT! Nancy Regan told me I can JUST SAY NO and you can't make me...can you?

Exactly like that...but different...yet exactly like it...:confused:

Ikinai can make you do anything...

The things Ikinai made me do. I still have nightmares about.

Oh please... Bioware can't distance themselves from Revan no matter how hard they try, he played a minor impact in the base game and a large role in the last two expansions, he will do the same in this one.

Never thought of another HK clone however. HK-80 coming soon.

Sorry but 80 doesn't fit the trend.

Check the link in his signature...they have promised it...several times. Just another carrot they dangled to keep people subbed...like many other things they've promised, like "we'll never go this long without new Ops" or "we'll keep an eye on balance and make adjustments"...empty.

Aslong as I can turn them off I wouldn't care if they added them ... else ouch ... the performance hit would destroy the game further ( performance wise ;) )

You know, they could be working on it, or have worked on it in the past, and just not been able to get the performance where it needs to be.

Seriously, there are players who have to turn off name plates to get to a reasonable level of performance. What do you think chat bubbles will do?

Saying they are working on it =/= a promise to deliver it.

I see this as a significant challenge with this game. I imagine there are tons of things they would like to do, but can't because of performance issues.

Through out the promotion of SWTOR it was always 'The first fully voiced MMO' with a lot of attention drawn to the volume of scripted material.

And then you pump out screen shots covered in speech bubbles that look no different to any other MMO?

I'm not saying that's the driving reason, I would imagine there's a whole bunch of competing reasons from performance hit to preventing abuse.

But it would be the most visual representation that this fully voiced MMO is no different to any other.

Except you are arguing and they NEVER DID indicate it was coming. Only it was something they would like to implement if they could get past performance issue. That does not equal it was coming. Wanting chat bubbles or not yourself does not change what you have written. Yes well a where that you TUXs did not start this or the only one talking about it.

However this is off topic and chat bubbles or no chat bubbles really has nothing to do with the upcoming LS/DS event.

I have not given much thought to what this event will entail or who the character we will be getting. Be that a single character that will be darkside or lightside, or one of two characters, and we players get one or the other dependant on our choices during the event timeframe. The info was said to be given out today, so as fun, lets say Satele or the ghost of Darth Marr. Not 100% sure Marr would still be Darkside so I am probably totally wrong. But as said not really given this much thought.

Edited by Nevaeh-Heaven

I see it being an event tallying what LS/DS choices you make in KOTFE, and -ONLY- KOTFE.

And it has to be a -fresh- run of KOTFE so the metrics say people are still playing/replaying KOTFE...

Sadly, you are probably correct

Except you are arguing and they NEVER DID indicate it was coming.

What would you call this then???

Damion Schubert confirmed that chat bubbles will be implemented: "They're definitely on the list. ~They’ll be coming soon, but in priority, the GUI team is focused first on GUI customization. I'll have a better idea of timing once we get past that. And yes, for people who hate them, whenever we do them, they'll be toggleable."

He directly says "They'll be coming soon"...

Edited by TUXs

Seriously? We need to play the whole game ONCE AGAIN to get reward? And what ever more, if you don't want to make dark desicion, you can't earn the Legendary Reward... and i was hoping for something new....what a naive from my side, i forgot that it's you, Bioware. So irritating. Edited by LosevV