Petition: No more chance cubes in packs, better drop ratios

I really like the Grand Chance Cubes and the chance of getting nice older gear, including FULL armor sets. Before Chance Cubes, I would usually end up with 10 or so almost useless pieces of bronze armor, mostly bracers and gloves. I'd much rather get the cube than another piece of crap armor that wont even sell for 2k on the GTN.

That said, it does get frustrating to have the new packs yield 2 Grand Chance Cubes and a companion gift. I would support a 1 Chance Cube per pack limit.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way I can see to remove the chance cubes would be if you could buy any existing pack every released directly in the cartel market in all increments.

So in the Packs section of the CM, put in an option to buy Single, Super or Hypercrate for any and all packs ever released. Use the same base cost of 200, 950, 5400 for all of them. If you can buy any pack ever released directly:

1, the GTN cost of them would drop since more could be posted

2. People can have a chance via RNG to get any previous item from before and either keep or sell on the GTN. Again if more are available on the GTN then it would force prices to lower with a higher supply.

This solves two issues:

1. The high GTN price for Cartel Market items that people complain about in other threads. Higher supply, lower price.

2. People will spend more Cartel Coins / Purchase more coins to try to get those items especially if every pack is available for purchase with the RNG still in place for those packs. More money spent on coins / market means more money for BW.

It would be a win-win for everyone pretty much.

/not signed

Sorry, but I enjoy chance cubes. It's all random and that's part of the fun of it. Sometimes you "win", sometimes you "lose".

So what would prevent you from just buying them seperately?

Also I'm all in favor of a chancecube dropping instead of filler stuff like Jawa Junk or gifts, but IMO it shouldn't be able to drop instead of an actual item from the pack. Ending up with more chance cubes than the number of packs you bought is just crazy.

Also I'm all in favor of a chancecube dropping instead of filler stuff like Jawa Junk or gifts, but IMO it shouldn't be able to drop instead of an actual item from the pack. Ending up with more chance cubes than the number of packs you bought is just crazy.

Chance cubes are 1000 times better than bronze items that used to drop. Anyone who bought hypercrates before chance cubes knows you could fill up an entire tab with bronze armor pieces that you were lucky to sell on the GTN for 10,000 credits per. Considering the chance cubes resell for an average of 20 times that it's so much better than it used to be.

The idea that if chance cubes weren't there you'd get more silver and gold items is false. If chance cubes were absent we wouldn't see a huge uptick in weapon tunings or creature companions. Instead you'd get some other type of filler. We've seen what that filler could be, it's bronze armor sets that NO ONE wants. Let's keep the chance cubes, sometimes you get an extra gold out of them, which will always be better than what the alternative was before.

Chance cubes are 1000 times better than bronze items that used to drop. Anyone who bought hypercrates before chance cubes knows you could fill up an entire tab with bronze armor pieces that you were lucky to sell on the GTN for 10,000 credits per. Considering the chance cubes resell for an average of 20 times that it's so much better than it used to be

The idea that if chance cubes weren't there you'd get more silver and gold items is false. If chance cubes were absent we wouldn't see a huge uptick in weapon tunings or creature companions. Instead you'd get some other type of filler. We've seen what that filler could be, it's bronze armor sets that NO ONE wants. Let's keep the chance cubes, sometimes you get an extra gold out of them, which will always be better than what the alternative was before.

Perhaps. Though we don't know anything about chances either way and I'm certain that BW is tweaking percentages all the time in order to get the maximum $$$ out of it.

Maybe a person who buys multiple hypercrates of each pack (I buy one or most of the time none) comes to another conclusion, but I got way more silver and gold items out of the old packs. There were a lot of bronze items too, but there seemed to be more variety between those.

I disagree. As I said, I like them. Never know what you'll get and most all of it is of use one way or the other. To me it's an extension (a more fun one) of looting a mob. Don't know what you'll get. Sometimes you get "just stuff", sometimes you get "great stuff". Sometimes they're dups (and given to my guild or passed on to someone in need).

Chance cubes are OK you can get some nice older stuff that you may have missed out on previously, though the only2 changes I would make are:-

1) Reduce the drop rate of the cubes from the many packs I have bought it seems as if the drop rate is about 50% I feel this should be more like 35-40% drop rate, the old gear should be more of a 'bonus' and you should have a greater % for the items that are actually supposed to be in the pack Yeah it may mean that decorations and silver gear are given a greater % or you could always bring back the cartel certificates into the mix as well.

2) There are some things that just need removing from the chance cube pool as yeah there is quite a lot of junk such as old titles or if you don't want to remove them completely lower the chance slightly of them dropping.

Perhaps. Though we don't know anything about chances either way and I'm certain that BW is tweaking percentages all the time in order to get the maximum $$$ out of it.

Maybe a person who buys multiple hypercrates of each pack (I buy one or most of the time none) comes to another conclusion, but I got way more silver and gold items out of the old packs. There were a lot of bronze items too, but there seemed to be more variety between those.

I posted my pack results on these boards for a few releases a while back to attempt to gauge the average golds/silvers etc. I could go back to see the exact percentage I was running but I think they're about the same. The thing is even 20 or 30 crates would be a fairly small sample size when discussing percentages or RNG on something like this. It would be nice if Bioware would do like other collector card companies do (since it's the same general idea) and list the odds of rare or super rare. It would be nice to have sort of a benchmark for what we should expect. Perhaps they feel that would hurt sales though I'm not sure. If I had to put a wild guess out there I'd say odds are something like this...

Bronze 50%

Silver 35%

Gold 15%

Platinum .5%

Roughly. Bronze could be slightly higher or lower and Gold might be on the high end at 15% could be closer to 12 or 13. As for platinum it's possible it's a 1% drop but it just feels like 1 in 200 packs is closer to accurate than 1 in 100. Again this is still speculation because you'd truly need a massive sample size to state anything more firmly.

I posted my pack results on these boards for a few releases a while back to attempt to gauge the average golds/silvers etc. I could go back to see the exact percentage I was running but I think they're about the same. The thing is even 20 or 30 crates would be a fairly small sample size when discussing percentages or RNG on something like this. It would be nice if Bioware would do like other collector card companies do (since it's the same general idea) and list the odds of rare or super rare. It would be nice to have sort of a benchmark for what we should expect. Perhaps they feel that would hurt sales though I'm not sure. If I had to put a wild guess out there I'd say odds are something like this...

Bronze 50%

Silver 35%

Gold 15%

Platinum .5%

Roughly. Bronze could be slightly higher or lower and Gold might be on the high end at 15% could be closer to 12 or 13. As for platinum it's possible it's a 1% drop but it just feels like 1 in 200 packs is closer to accurate than 1 in 100. Again this is still speculation because you'd truly need a massive sample size to state anything more firmly.

I think your percentages are not too far off. I'd say Bronze/Chance Cube are a bit higher and platinum even lower. But yeah, we'll never know for sure and we'll never be sure whether those percentages remained the same over time.

Either way, I find the drop ratios to be rather unfair considering the pack's values. You need to spend way too much cash to have a relatively high chance of obtaining the most sought after items. About 25$-30$ would seem fair to me, but as it is you're likely to spend 200$+ It's all within their rights of course, but compared to direct purchases seen in other MMOs it seems almost unethical.

Edited by Knorlac

I disagree. As I said, I like them. Never know what you'll get and most all of it is of use one way or the other. To me it's an extension (a more fun one) of looting a mob. Don't know what you'll get. Sometimes you get "just stuff", sometimes you get "great stuff". Sometimes they're dups (and given to my guild or passed on to someone in need).

so what would stop people from buying a hyper crate of chance cubes no one will answer this question on this thread!

so what would stop people from buying a hyper crate of chance cubes no one will answer this question on this thread!

Nothing would stop people buying a hypercrate of chance cubes if priced correctly ... they either like it or they don't which will be if they buy or not.

Stop trying to lump everyone into one particular group and change the game to suit only that group.

In any case news is new bronze are getting bought into the packs and you can get either bronze or a chance cube on a bronze roll so that's probably a really decent compromise imo and will help prices of older bronze things go back up.

Watch them cull the silver drop rate in the new packs though. ;)

You can't stop people that likes the chance cubes from buying hyper crates and I don't see why you would want to. You might not like them and that is fine but you also need to accept the fact that some do and they will buy them if they want to and nothing you can do or say will change that.

You can't stop people that likes the chance cubes from buying hyper crates and I don't see why you would want to. You might not like them and that is fine but you also need to accept the fact that some do and they will buy them if they want to and nothing you can do or say will change that.

That won't stop us from trying!!!

Consider this:

Would you want someone to stop you from doing something you like? That is basically what you are trying to do to those that like the chance cubes.

I... I... I know my humor isn't the best, but certainly their was a part of you that took that as a joke?.... no :(?

To be fair, A LOT of things people enjoy can have a negative affect on your health such as drugs, smoking, and drinking while driving etc, they may enjoy these things, yes, I would tell them to stop. Fortunately my Dad stopped smoking WAY before he had kids and my mom never touched a cigarate in her life so I wouldn't have to ask. I could also get into team killing in various PVP games, but you get my drift im sure.

Not to mention while them buying chance cubes doesn't negatively affect them, it affects people who want those accursed things gone. I wouldn't mind so much if they had the same amount of packs with chance cubes as a added bonus, but they been using chance cubes as a substitute to creating new sets leaving a empty void. Were now getting less for paying the same price, which imo, needs to go. If they enjoyed a certain activity without hindering/hurting other players it would be fine however.

Sorry about that a very long and tiring week.

Nah, its probably more me than anything with my bad sense of humor, however I wish you best and hope you can get through this week in a better and more uplifting mood, besides... someone needs to get my "jokes" next week:).

Chance cubes aren't going away but next pack will bring back bronze items, i kind of expect both camps to be unhappy, personally i wish they would just release two types of packs/crates one with cubes another without, not sure how feasible that is but on theory it sounds easy.

Chance cubes make me never want to buy a pack or crate again.

Consider this:

Would you want someone to stop you from doing something you like? That is basically what you are trying to do to those that like the chance cubes.

Consider this, I don't care. If you want them so bad let BW sell them separately, then people who like this crap can sit on them until they hatch for all I care. Forcing a bunch of old crap into new packs just makes me not want to buy new packs.

Edited by ZanyaCross

read it again I asked what would stop (or whats the problem with them making) people from buying a hypercrate JUST of chance cubes not whatever that answer came from

Chance cubes make me never want to buy a pack or crate again.

Consider this, I don't care. If you want them so bad let BW sell them separately, then people who like this crap can sit on them until they hatch for all I care. Forcing a bunch of old crap into new packs just makes me not want to buy new packs.

So don't buy new packs then. They're not forcing you to buy them either. Besides, the cubes still provide a chance to get new stuff as well. The cubes don't draw from just the old pool, they draw from the new pool as well. If you end up getting something you didn't want, sell it on the GTN and pool those credits together to get the item(s) you did want in the first place. It's not rocket science, people.