Warzone, PvP dancers

raikwolf

First of all I really hope no one gets angry with this post but I have a question...

What's with the dancers in PvP and warzones? I'm not a pvp person because they usually bored me out so I may not know what's the use of doing that.

By dancers I mean the people who runs around you in circles as if that actually would prevent you from using powers. I don't get it I may be wrong and running around is actually useful. Kinda reminds me shooters multiplayer maps

First of all I really hope no one gets angry with this post but I have a question...

What's with the dancers in PvP and warzones? I'm not a pvp person because they usually bored me out so I may not know what's the use of doing that.

By dancers I mean the people who runs around you in circles as if that actually would prevent you from using powers. I don't get it I may be wrong and running around is actually useful. Kinda reminds me shooters multiplayer maps

It's just in the way you do it, baby ~♬

Seriously tho', in a 1v1 situation, especially in melee vs melee situations, running past your enemy stops power activation if it was not already activated before you go past him. Doesn't mean too much with people accustomed to quick mouse views, but against newbies who take like seconds to turn the screen... you can guess the rest.

Even for ranged, constant movement is always recommended for a variety of reasons.

Edited by kweassa

I find Assassins and Operatives who do the left+right rapid strafe behind you when you are stunned hilarious.

Funnily enough i do it too but but try not to. When it is done to me i mentally facepalm. I immediately know this player thinks he is gosu.

Running around and/or trying to stay behind someone though is a different matter, especially if they are backpeddlers. Not only because some abilities require you to be behind your target (if you play op or sin).

Edited by Kaedusz

Well, firstly, some attacks must be activated from behind your target (Backblast, Shadow Strike) so the person is trying to get behind you.

Secondly, there is a 270° line of sight for attacks, so people ofte ntry to get inside the 90° "blind spot". It is tricky, because your turning radius is larger than the person you are trying to circle, and thus takes longer to traverse, but as the above poster mentioned, people will often not turn fast enough.

As someone who used the numpad for command executions for a long time, I can say this was a problem for me for aa time.

Some people also naturally get into the "rythm" of it by moving in certain manner, like how boxers or TKD fighters would be hopping around in their own rythm of footwork.

I know it sounds crazy, but it actually does work that way, sort of like doing that Ali-shuffle, every thing sort of feels faster and for some strange placebo, you feel more nimble and more reactive, more aware, more reflexes when you actively move around, instead of just stay put in one spot.

Ah, in case of jumping, there is a practical use especially for ranged casters, for example TK/Lightning sage/sorcs. When you are actively moving away, trying to distance yourself from a melee that's chasing you, you can use instant-cast skills while moving, but you still need to face them to use the attack. In which case -- you run in one direction and then jump. The jump will carry you in that direction of momentum, so you can turn in mid air, cast an attack, and then turn back to face the direction of movement. This way you can continuously use attacks without stopping to face the enemy. This one's a very old technique of PvP, I remember people doing this since the original WoW days.

Edited by kweassa

It has multiple purposes. You can't attack an enemy when you are not facing him (for example when your enemy is behind you). It makes it harder for you to target him aswell. When someone is 'dancing' around you its almost impossible to click on him. When you use tab to target enemies you might accidently target a player that was behind your enemy as your enemy isn't on that same spot anymore. This makes it rather hard to target for less experienced players. You'll learn how to deal with this eventually. Also, some attacks need to be done from behind someone so the 'dancer' actually really has to get behind you for his attack to go off.

in a situation on melee vs melee it really does help to keep going back and forth, specially back, of the opponent, if using a class like operative or assassin, that benifits from it, and the range of melee skills is short, so if you get far enough from the opponent or behind him/her they can't activate skills because of the "facing target" mechanic, for ranged it's kinda useless i think, maybe just for defense, in a situation, like getting behind an object to not get targeted, etc.

I do this all time. I've done this in any MMO i've played that allows it. For a bunch of different reason. Its psychologically messes with your foe. It also makes people madefor some reason, and if I can make you mad, then i've won. This making them angry makes them do things they wouldn't normally do. Like leave a door to come kill you, or leave a node to chase. This tactic works not only in games but IRL. It also has many actual PvP benefits. If i'm playing against an operative or an assassin their rotations are usually built around being behind me, running around and jumping over them screws this up. It also screws up people who Click abilities since they can't seem to track for some unknown reason. If I am playing as an operative or assassin jumping over their head, or being inside their toons body actually registers as me being behind them allowing for backstabs or mauls. There is also a latency issue. If the person i'm soloing is lagging, I appear to warp on their screen further confusing them and messing up rotations. Also jumping is beneficial because in certain warzones heights comes a factor. For example the WZ with the three turrets. The sand bunkers provide sniper cover, but when you go to the left or right, a snipers abilities don't register due to elevation change. So I can snipe snipe, ambush, but if you run to the side I can't get my Takedown to register, Jumping allows for this. Pretty much all the good PvPers do this "dance" Edited by Acaelus-Thorne

For me it has become more of a habit. I can't stand still and unload my rotation.

I feel exposed and wrong, I even do it in PvE.

This.

Also, when I play VG I play mostly for its ridiculous speed buff (Hold the line with Charge the Line+Battlefield Training) which makes strafing dances insane. Keybord turners pass out, god bless them.

Thank you all for the answers given, now I can finally understand the point of doing that. Been playing for a while but I guess I am very noob when it comes to pvp

Honestly speaking, friend, its more like an affliction, rather than actual effect. When people play PvP so much, we become twitchy and hyper-responsive like a crack addict, and we just can't stay put in one place.

If we stay put in one place, its like going into a drug addiction relapse period... we get the shakes... and when non-PvPers see us, they see us for what we are... we're addicts.

So, we make up all these nifty excuses we've given you so far.... :D

Keep on playing PvP. Become on of us... and you'll soon understand just how much 'standing in one place' feels uncomfortable.. and all.. wrong.... like kissing one's own sister... *yeeeewwwwwwwwww'

Edited by kweassa

I love it when im playing juggie and some useless oper tried to do dat thing. Im just standin at one place and turning face to face to him, cuz its kinda not a problem to turn camera with a mouse and target with TAB. So it looks so fanny when he does that "oh Im so pro - I can run around like a dumb" gets hes face smashed whike you just standing lazy only rotating character and use your abilities :):):) Edited by Rouakh

It's interesting to see how pvpers think alike :)

Someone said about pvpers being twitchy - that's me! Global cooldown is just SOOO annoyingly long. Sometimes I just can't stand it, twitching left to right makes me feel like I'm actually contributing to the enemy's demise, rather than waiting around for the gcd.

Also, like many have said, jumping around and moving left to right or in circles, or through the aponent makes your apponent lose concentration, and even gets them mad. Heck, even I get mad when predation buffed marauder runs circles around me, then blade blitzes out and charges back in, then vanishes and jumps out of nowhere continuing to jump around.

I love it when im playing juggie and some useless oper tried to do dat thing. Im just standin at one place and turning face to face to him, cuz its kinda not a problem to turn camera with a mouse and target with TAB. So it looks so fanny when he does that "oh Im so pro - I can run around like a dumb" gets hes face smashed whike you just standing lazy only rotating character and use your abilities :):):)

lol, and I do that too when I'm lazy. Works well if you have heals too. Just stand in one place and do rotation

Edited by power-alex

Keep on playing PvP. Become on of us... and you'll soon understand just how much 'standing in one place' feels uncomfortable.. and all.. wrong.... like kissing one's own sister... *yeeeewwwwwwwwww'

For me, it comes from playing sniper (gunship) in GSF.

It took conscious effort for me to stay in one place after 3 shots.

Rhint and Aimbot (two good buddies who I haven't seen in ages!) introduced me to the wonders of an ion-slug doubletap, and as time passed, I only needed the third shot if I was extremely unlocky. The trouble with a gunship though is that it isn't particularly subtle; you are charging your railgun up for a few seconds, and there is a significant distortion around you. So I had to snipe-n-run.

Now, standing in one spot, especially in the open, even on dirtside PVP, makes me feel like I'm about to get noticed and ambushed.

It is a little funny, given that we don't actually need to aim in warzones, but...still...habits, habits.

If you see snipers or gunslingers running around aimlessly, hit 'em because they're stationary attackers who are meant to be in cover. Running, as opposed to using covered escape or the gunslinger equivalent, makes them vulnerable.

On the other hand, sometimes you want to get someone in your line-of-sight, or to get out of another player's line-of-sight.

...Unless you're referring to /dance. That's just a way to pass the time and/or taunt the enemy. :D

Edited by BradTheImpaler