The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Game has died, Nowhere to go

MadCuzBad

I was here from the beginning... and the years before then too - signed up and waiting for launch... and sorry to burst your bubble but... Initial sales were way beyond any expectations they had ever had - they may have dreamt about those kinds of figures, but it was clearly never in their launch day planning... do you remember that? So, yes, that "plummet" was inevitable and expected - don't flower it up with hyperbole like plummet and try to retcon the past, there are plenty of us here that remember it - you included :p

As time goes on, games like this will settle and players will move on (sure, some others will join late - but can anyone expect that initial peak or even near to be hit? no, that would be fanciful)... it is why games, today, are constantly refreshed and change focus with their playerbase's likes/needs etc... but its also a moving environment... consoles, phones, multiple platforms, other IP, other game formats - gaming is now the most competitive entertainment market going... it is not always content that turns people off, sometimes its merely other things that draw them away.

Now if only there was a way to turn this MMO game into something that doesn't need a deep, solid, enduring, social playerbase and yet still keep those that are playing interested... hmm, let me think... it's almost as if EA/BW are paying attention. Freaky.

fREAKY... and they are still bleeding subs.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep, its called free to play. those "New" players leave after the first week.

I love statements like this. Absolutely no data to back it up. Just chuck it out there and see if it sticks. If it does, hurrah, you "win". If it doesn't, well you can always give it another go later on.

I love statements like this. Absolutely no data to back it up. Just chuck it out there and see if it sticks. If it does, hurrah, you "win". If it doesn't, well you can always give it another go later on.

innit, tho. It's great to be part of a 116 page, 3 week old forum thread for a game that is dead :D

This 3 week old forum thread has had just over 20% of the views as the main sticky forum thread that has been up since December 2011... is that interesting? Not sure.

Edited by leehambly

"how exactly had is under performed?"

Thanks for proving my point.... Launching with 2 million + Subs and initial Box sales and in the first 6 months plummeting to under 1million .. then as time went on it now has well under 100k subs.

Guess you were not here from the beginning. The only thing keeping this game afloat is the gambling cartel packs... and well eventually that cant last forever.

Sorry to burst your bubble

Again you've missed the point. For it to under perform these would be goals. What are the goals EA have set and how is this game not meeting them?

It can't stick ... it's one of those statements people put out there to try save face not realizing it actually makes their argument even more weak. They tend to very soon after disappear from such discussions seeing as they can't support said outlandish statements.

It can't stick ... it's one of those statements people put out there to try save face not realizing it actually makes their argument even more weak. They tend to very soon after disappear from such discussions seeing as they can't support said outlandish statements.

It actually does. 8 servers. Most of them ghost towns. Harbringer is the goto server. Harbringer is draining the life out of other servers to the point of useless. Overall population down.

Ok so what data exactly are you looking for? If you need a computer analysis to show you that, then I am afraid you have much bigger problems then trying to win a debate on the SWTOR forums my friend.

I know of at least one other server that's not a "ghost town".

Of the 8 North American servers, 4 hit "standard" population for part of ever day.

Shhhh. Never let facts get in the way. ;)

Self-fulfilling prophecies are tricky. But he's bound and determined. I say, let him witter on...and on....and onnnnnnnn...

Shhhh. Never let facts get in the way. ;)

Self-fulfilling prophecies are tricky. But he's bound and determined. I say, let him witter on...and on....and onnnnnnnn...

Truth. End of the world is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events

Oh wait. Those all passed.

Keep trying, MCB, you'll be right eventually. Shadowlands is doing quite fine, btw.

Edited by xordevoreaux

I know of at least one other server that's not a "ghost town".

Of the 8 North American servers, 4 hit "standard" population for part of ever day.

Well, while I agree the game isn't dead, 4 servers going above "light" population on a AAA MMO isn't something to really brag about. Especially give "light", "standard" and "heavy" are arbitrary. We don't know what even constitutes "heavy" for these servers.

Well, while I agree the game isn't dead, 4 servers going above "light" population on a AAA MMO isn't something to really brag about. Especially give "light", "standard" and "heavy" are arbitrary. We don't know what even constitutes "heavy" for these servers.

Context is important.

The ones that rise above standard each day are the traditionally PvE servers. Their is one that stays light right now (Begeren Colony) but that really means little. I play that server a lot and it's plenty active and nowhere near dead. And for the first 4 months after KoTFE dropped, Begeren login activity went up by more then 50%.

The three that never rise above light status even after an expac drops are the three traditionally PvP servers. And if you understand context, you know that this is largely because once again PvP players abanonded their servers and in this last cycle transferred to Harbinger.

If one were to take time actually looking at long term trend data on either the NA or EU server farms, you would see that total active population is about where it was this time last year and the year before that. Pretty stable actually year over year. The regional population view on torstatus has a really nice long term trend graph at the bottom which you can move a little red window around and look at what is going on overall in NA and EU at any point in time since torstatus went live. The lull in activity this many months after an expac is pretty normal. What IS different from last year and the year before is where the active players are located. With 90cc transfers, a lot of people are moving around from server to server to find what fits them best... which is actually a healthy thing.

Also, one of the true fallacies of this entire thread is basing "dead" on the server load status flags. What matters is not how many people are logged in at one time, but rather how many active players are on a server. Not everyone is logged in at one time and not everyone logs in every day. Believe it or not, people have real lives which for many tend to throttle when they play and how much.

Edited by Andryah

yep, its called free to play. those "New" players leave after the first week.

/spaghetti tossing spotted.

Sorry, it may stick to the wall in your fantasy world, but in the real world most players know your statement is simply unsupported by evidence.

If anything, the anecdotal evidence from new players who post in the forum is that they started F2P, got hooked and then subbed. This comment is seen rather often when topics like this come up.

It's not bragging, just wondering how "ghost towns" are getting to that status every day.

/spaghetti tossing spotted.

Sorry, it may stick to the wall in your fantasy world, but in the real world most players know your statement is simply unsupported by evidence.

If anything, the anecdotal evidence from new players who post in the forum is that they started F2P, got hooked and then subbed. This comment is seen rather often when topics like this come up.

Didn't this game rate in the top 5 MMO's that make the most money?:rak_02: