Game has died, Nowhere to go

MadCuzBad

They are two old *** games that never went anywhere. Lin. did okay for a sec, but has lost most of its players over time. Tera was hyped pre-launch, but like many mmo's it kind of failed at launch and has been on a slow life support since.

TERA claims to be the #1 MMO on Steam and has a Very Positive review rating there. (Launched les sthan a year ago.

Lineage is said to have been the WoW of Korean MMOs; for whatever that's worth. NCSoft has an F2P sequel out as well

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The part that caught my eye is where Lineage and TERA are above SWTOR...I don't know much about either game, but I'm disappointed we're not above both of them...I mean, how many TERA movies are there? TERA toys? TERA novels? TERA coffee mugs? From exposure alone I would assume SWTOR should have been above both.

They are two old *** games that never went anywhere. Lin. did okay for a sec, but has lost most of its players over time. Tera was hyped pre-launch, but like many mmo's it kind of failed at launch and has been on a slow life support since.

Two words: "Korea" and "China"

MMO revenue in Asia Pacific: $9.5 billion

MMO revenue in North America: $2.5 billion

Edited by DarthDymond

TERA claims to be the #1 MMO on Steam and has a Very Positive review rating there. (Launched les sthan a year ago.

Lineage is said to have been the WoW of Korean MMOs; for whatever that's worth. NCSoft has an F2P sequel out as well

Wow I remember last year just like it was 2011 or something. My how time flies!

Initial release date: January 25, 2011

Edited by Holocron

Damn...that's huge!

Is SWTOR not sold in China or Korea? If not, any idea why?

Considering the grief the aussies give BW about lag, that's one reason right there. No servers closer than the US West Coast. Also, I recall the Chinese government not being terribly hip to the SW brand.

Damn...that's huge!

Is SWTOR not sold in China or Korea? If not, any idea why?

It is not. With China, it's probably that they're not the easiest market to break into - little thing called communism over there means a lot of hoops to jump through for foreign companies.

Not sure about Korea, but I don't think EA has ever invested into getting a foothold over there the way some game companies have.

Another fun factoid: in 2013, Asia Pacific had about 285 million MMO players. For comparison, the current population of the USA is around 310 million people total.

Edited by DarthDymond

Totally fair point.

Gross revenue, or net revenue... neither give any clear indication as to active player base in a world wide context. This is further complicated by mixing Eastern and Western MMO markets and studios. Though gross revenue is a better indicator it does not take into account regional differences in business models and actual player costs to play.

Take China for example, where straight out subscription models are illegal, the player engages with a game like WoW on a fee-for-time basis... and on average a China player pays less for a months access to WoW (one of the few western MMOs to have a presence there) then a US/EU player.

Also, WoW in China is not run by Blizzard, they simply take a royalty based on revenues from an independent company in China. This by the way is true for most online games in China, even the Korean ones are not owned and operated by the company in China.

Edited by Andryah

No, I think it is the Taoism and Buddhism connection (Jedi being modeled after that religion)

http://popculturephilosopher.com/jedi-philosophy/

BTW, that article is one of my favorites to link for illustration of why the "great jedi religion" isn't all it's cracked up to be. Lucas's sloppy 70s pop- syncretism, combined with decades of additional contributors who brought more adoration than "homework" to the mix.

I would say at least another 2 years. Honestly, I'm okay with that. I mean really, this game is just purely for story now - theres really nothing to prove - I have no idea who the best pvper is, or who the best guild is, or who the best w/e is. It doesn't matter in this game, IMO. It's a story game!

I would say at least another 2 years. Honestly, I'm okay with that. I mean really, this game is just purely for story now - theres really nothing to prove - I have no idea who the best pvper is, or who the best guild is, or who the best w/e is. It doesn't matter in this game, IMO. It's a story game!

IMO, there was never anything to prove.

Gross revenue, or net revenue... neither give any clear indication as to active player base. This is further complicated by mixing Eastern and Western MMO markets and studios. Though gross revenue is a better indicator it does not take into account regional differences in business models and actual player costs to play.

Take China for example, where straight out subscription models are illegal, the player engages with a game like WoW on a fee-for-time basis... and on average a China player pays less for a months access to WoW (one of the few western MMOs to have a presence there) then a US/EU player.

Also, WoW in China is not run by Blizzard, they simply take a royalty based on revenues from an independent company in China. This by the way is true for most online games in China, even the Korean ones are not owned and operated by the company in China.

For the long-term survival of the game; net revenue is what the "owner" wants to see. Gross Revenue and Active Player Base are both metrics that suggest a healthy net revenue; but they aren't the (literal) bottom line. Technically, you can drill down a layer further and measure ROI, but then you run into issues with comparing ROI if you change where the Investment is made.

The players prefer the active player base, particularly in an MMO where there are activities that can only be done in groups. To a certain extent, if the game has a large net revenue, then the palyers are paying "too much." It's a tension.

For the long-term survival of the game; net revenue is what the "owner" wants to see. Gross Revenue and Active Player Base are both metrics that suggest a healthy net revenue; but they aren't the (literal) bottom line. Technically, you can drill down a layer further and measure ROI, but then you run into issues with comparing ROI if you change where the Investment is made.

The players prefer the active player base, particularly in an MMO where there are activities that can only be done in groups. To a certain extent, if the game has a large net revenue, then the palyers are paying "too much." It's a tension.

No disagreement.

MMOs are notoriously easy to keep profitable, even with small player base, unless you are up against a license renewal for IP or something. Heck, look at DAoC, which has been small player base for years... still running, still drawing a standard subscription, still dropping profits into EAs wallet. Then, by comparison, when WAR came up for renewal of IP license, EA just shut it down because it was also very small player base.

Edited by Andryah

Yeah now I know your full of it. Because honestly, there is a packed fleet at all hours, with multiple instances, and people calling for OPs, GSF and PVP. Take your trolling somewhere else, because these waters are fished out.

And the only one that seems to hoax people is you, with your unsupported claims and wild accusations which for some reason you can't figure out that no one is buying.

I'm going to have to say you are very wrong about JC population, at least for the Republic. The fleet population during primetime a week or 2 ago was going between 80 and 120 single instance. It was so shocking to see I actually asked in chat if there was some major internet outage in the US that could explain the low population. As for ops, they are very dead depending on which one is in the queue. Pvp is much slower outside of primetime as it seems most who played during off times went to Harbinger or quit. I can't say how Imperial side is, because I don't play there.

Story driven game yes, however that story element is lacking in a lot of places. This feels like another cop out of Bioware story telling, half the characters are always the same in Bioware games... gets old seeing reoccurring characters with different skins/voices. On top of that the preverbal carrot and shtick thing is getting old and the amount of bugs is saddening.

I'm going to have to say you are very wrong about JC population, at least for the Republic. The fleet population during primetime a week or 2 ago was going between 80 and 120 single instance. It was so shocking to see I actually asked in chat if there was some major internet outage in the US that could explain the low population. As for ops, they are very dead depending on which one is in the queue. Pvp is much slower outside of primetime as it seems most who played during off times went to Harbinger or quit. I can't say how Imperial side is, because I don't play there.

Thank you for posting this!

Most of the people you're addressing this to will shrug it off and tell you why you're wrong, but the truth is quite obvious to anyone.

Thank you for posting this!

Most of the people you're addressing this to will shrug it off and tell you why you're wrong, but the truth is quite obvious to anyone.

120 on fleet would not be a shockingly low or high number on EH, and wouldn't have been 6 months ago, or a year ago, or 2 years ago.

I am generally on daily, both for a couple hours in afternoon, and a few hours a night at around 9pm eastern, till about 1 or 2 am. Today at 2pm, there was 154 on fleet, with 2 instances. I looked because I wanted to burn out a couple bounty missions.

in the evening, generally above 120+, usually a couple instances though I dont check everytime I am there. But everytime I am there I have seen at least 2 groups pulling in pug ops for daily. The only time it is slower is if it is tfb, ec, or dp. Usually on the nights that EV and KP are in the priority for the day, it is easily twice that.

but even my account is to be taken with a grain of salt, because depending on day, time etc, everyone could have different numbers. Not to mention alot of people are on their SHs, because like me, I hate fleet unless necessary. That is why it is foolish tomjust go by fleet numbers.

generally the heroic areas are a good judge as well for population, or odessan.

Yeah, JC is fading away. I've started leveling a couple of characters on Harbinger. I don't like the extra MS I get but I'm tired of standing around on fleet giving companions gifts while trying to find something to do.

Two words: "Korea" and "China"

MMO revenue in Asia Pacific: $9.5 billion

MMO revenue in North America: $2.5 billion

Curious but why are you comparing an entire region to just effectively two countries?

Shouldn't it be comparing tastes in MMO i.e. western type audiences to eastern ... which still doesn't entirely stand true geographically.

Also NZ/Aus are part of Asia/Pacific but certainly don't follow Asian trends.

Those numbers seem skewed to prove any sort of relevant point.