Tanking is unbearable in this game...

yerdd

I will start with some general info about myself. I have liked this game very much leveling and this is my third MMO I am playing (Wow, Rift). I have tanked in all three games and I am a level 50 Sith Warrior now. I have done high end raiding in both MMO's as well. Tanking has always been enjoyable for me until this game. The things that bother me the most is the amount of disables / knockback slows on myself on top of nearly everything being ranged. Now I am not saying to get rid of everything but it is a real pain in the *** to try to hold aggro on 4-5 things that are all spread out especially when I run in just to get knocked back (charge back in) then get some kind of slow or disable on me. I have to hope my disable removers are up or else I am screwed on threat. DPS don't slow down and I have had no time to do anything at this point. I'm guessing that Powertechs have it a little easier though can't say from experience. I am considering rerolling to anything else. My most recent experience with this hell is doing a Heroic 2 on Ilum. Even though it was a melee I would get hit by a 2-3 second disable about every 7 seconds. I hope I'm not the only one that has noticed/bothered by this. /rant

edit: I forgot to add the server lag/ability lag (due to being new game I hope) only magnifies the problem.

Edited by yerdd

Part of tanking appears to be putting up with DPS, you have to remember, a lot of DPS are just stupid and don't understand the basics of targeted DPS, CC, threat etc etc. Your job is to live with it! (And maybe to try and educate).

You just solved your own problem.

As a healer, I've seen this over and over in Flashpoints. I just try to remember that this is many players first MMO and they don't know the mechanics yet.

I know I didn't in my first MMO. Learning takes time. it also takes time for an entire game's community to be on the same page regarding that.

Not everyone is an MMO vet.

Yes but the people I play with are use to aoeing everything down like in WoW

Then you play with a pack of WoTLK-trained fools who don't understand how to CC and FF.

They need to learn to play their role.

The fact that you can't simply just AoE everything down is a good sign, not a bad one.

And it certainly doesn't mean the game needs to be changed to suit the fools.

I play a Sith Assassin and at level 40 right now I can honestly say this is the most fun I have had tanking in any game I have tanked in.

When I see a dps that steals agro constantly I put guard on them and give them 1 warning, if they continue I just don't say another word and do the best I can.

Tanking in this game makes me feel like I am a beast Jedi owning everything in the face!

There's mainly the combination of two issues that make tanking in this game a pain.

1: Everyone and their dog are ranged.

2: The ranged enemies DO NOT FOLLOW THE SAME LINE OF SIGHT RULES THE PLAYERS DO.

Point #2 drives me crazy. You try to pull the mobs around some corner, only for them to stop somewhere halfway and start shooting you through the wall, however you can't shoot back because they're out of line of sight.

Then there's the fact that once an NPC starts the shooting animation, it gains the ability to literally shoot through walls until the shooting animation ends.

In WoW terms, every damn mob seems to be using channelling LoS ignoring spells that can't be interupted.

Edited by Zironic

"dps don't slow down"

I think I found your problem.

you found the problem of a Sith Warrior. a BH dont have suck problem.

hence its BioWare's problem for making a class that is, by and large, absolutly underwhelming compared to another one for their intended role.

Unless they pretend that the game has only 1 tank class they MUST fix this

As a healer, I've seen this over and over in Flashpoints. I just try to remember that this is many players first MMO and they don't know the mechanics yet.

I know I didn't in my first MMO. Learning takes time. it also takes time for an entire game's community to be on the same page regarding that.

Not everyone is an MMO vet.

See I refuse to believe that. Yes, some people may be new but the overall new influx of players happened when WoW was released so a sizeable amount of people should have some experience. Which leads me to believe that a lot of people (DPS *cough*) are simply bad at what they do, regardless of experience.

ok i dont know how it is at level 50, but in the flashoints and heroics up to the high 30's (where i was with my jugg before i left for christmas) there were many mobs that you could simply ignore.

the boarding party flashpoint is a perfect example. every pack of mobs has no more than 2 silver/1 goldstar mobs. i tried to tank all the mobs, including the normal ones, which obv. didnt work. then i ignored the normal mobs, and lo and behold, everything was fine. i told my groups to focus the strong mobs and i just tanked while they killed. then i stood motionless, tapping my feet as they killed the normal mobs.

heroics, if you have the required group size, arent that difficult imo, especially since things can be cc'd, as other people have said.

additionally, some classes have ccs which dont break, even with dmg. the warrior's force choke is a prime example. add to that the removal of the channel with talents (if you dont have this as a tank spec idk *** you are doing) you can easily take a single mobs out of the fight for a few seconds, more if you have another sith warrior (or two) with you.

Do understand that because so many mobs ARE ranged mobs... BW has made the Trooper and Bounty Hunter TANK classes also. Not just Warriors and Knights.

The Warrior/Knight are the "Melee" Tanks. The Trooper/Bounty Hunter are the "Ranged" tanks.

Thus you have "2" tanks for Heroic 4 and anything above that in difficulty.

If you and your guild expect to have just you as a Warrior/Knight tank then you will not succeed very often.

That Trooper/BH has to be there to aggro some of the ranged mobs that do not need to have the player on top of them to hold the aggro.

Think of it as a Healer aggroer.

I as a Operative healer gain aggro at many points in a fight. Always on my first heal and then at various points through out the fights...the de aggros are few and far between...unless there is that ranged tank class to soak up multiple shooters.

The game is designed well in this regard because SWTOR is basically a ranged attack at me game. Not just lightsaber wielding Warriors and Knights.

There's mainly the combination of two issues that make tanking in this game a pain.

1: Everyone and their dog are ranged.

2: The ranged enemies DO NOT FOLLOW THE SAME LINE OF SIGHT RULES THE PLAYERS DO.

Point #2 drives me crazy. You try to pull the mobs around some corner, only for them to stop somewhere halfway and start shooting you through the wall, however you can't shoot back because they're out of line of sight.

Then there's the fact that once an NPC starts the shooting animation, it gains the ability to literally shoot through walls until the shooting animation ends.

In WoW terms, every damn mob seems to be using channelling LoS ignoring spells that can't be interupted.

Point #2 is a HUGE issue I have with this game.

The cover system is in the game, yet only 4 classes can use it.

The ability for a mob to be able to shoot you through a wall is the same issue Warhammer had. This holds true for shooting through floors also. probably because the same designers from Mythic are involved.

As you mention. If I get aggro and want to pull a mob or two to me by running around a corner, I should be able to do that and not have that mob or group stop and start shooting through walls or trees or anything that is between me and them.

This is one of the MAJOR issues with this game as well as many MMO that have ranged npc's.

Anything shot, thrown etc follows the target...and I am ok with that. But once you have reached your LoS you should not be able to be attacked from range by that same mob unless it moves and removes the LoS effect.

Do understand that because so many mobs ARE ranged mobs... BW has made the Trooper and Bounty Hunter TANK classes also. Not just Warriors and Knights.

The Warrior/Knight are the "Melee" Tanks. The Trooper/Bounty Hunter are the "Ranged" tanks.

If you and your guild expect to have just you as a Warrior/Knight tank then you will not succeed very often.

That Trooper/BH has to be there to aggro some of the ranged mobs that do not need to have the player on top of them to hold the aggro.

I as a Operative healer gain aggro at many points in a fight. Always on my first heal and then at various points through out the fights...the de aggros are few and far between...unless there is that ranged tank class to soak up multiple shooters.

The game is designed well in this regard because SWTOR is basically a ranged attack at me game. Not just lightsaber wielding Warriors and Knights.

so assuming i'm a healer, now when i want to do a heroic i have to look for 2 specific tanks, and then just any old DPS? Thats rather atypical....

No but what is demanded is that you will get

*A Tank

* A healer

* 2 DPS

That actually can adapt and learn

Sorry to say Tanks and healers cant carry much people these days ,(people need to atleast try something for that to be possible)

If people have gotten to wowoified well we are in luck we have one server so ignore is youre friend :)

But lv 32 now and no one on ignore as of yet the Pve have been challenging but fun still cant get over how close they put healing done damage taken damage done in this game :)

I guess I should clarify so the "it's your dps" stops getting posted. I have grouped just as often when we CC etc. The knockbacks are on bosses and other stuff as well. A few examples from flashpoints: Colicoid War Game when you are doing the puzzle thoes guys have god terrible pathing (not sure why they move on their own) but had to constantly move so I wouldn't be in a position to be knocked off. In the Red Reaper the boss with crystals would constantly knock me away then apply a slow (quite often). Also CCing doesn't really fix much. When theres 5 range ya you can cc 2 or so. The others are still in horrible position.

Do yourself a favor and ignore this guy.