So... SWTOR isn't Windows 10 compatible?

Katkon

I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Windows 10 last night. Ironically, my goal was to improve performance and reduce/eliminate in-game intermittent stutter. The good news is that worked. The bad news is that the game blue screens whenever I now use a Taxi (known issue - a quick search on this forum found many users with the exact same issue). On top of that, in a boss fight none of my abilities (nor movement) worked. All abilities were grayed out - almost as if I was stunned - and I couldn't move. Once I died and attempted to respawn, the game wouldn't recognize my mouse.

So.... I take it the latest patch isn't Windows 10 compatible. Seems silly to revert to an old operating system just to play this game. Did anyone else do that, or has anyone managed to get their Windows 10 version working smoothly?

Note: I haven't logged a ticket. Plenty of others have already done that.

Edited by Katkon

I, an many others, run the game on 10.

I also run it on Windows 10. The only issue I've run in to is the Nvidia Graphics Card/Windows 10 issue, but the last firmware release from Nvidia appears to have cleared that up for me. (Grass = 0 issue).

I'm on the latest Nvidia driver. I've also tried installing an older version of DirectX as suggested by some of the users in the below linked 21 page thread containing posts from Win 10 users with the same issue. Unfortunately this had no effect.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=859343&page=21

So... I just canceled my sub. Will gladly resub if the issue is fixed. Not canceling out of protest - simply don't want to waste money on something that I literally cannot play - from a technical perspective. I considered reverting to Win 7, but I think it's silly to do that for just 1 game. I can wait.

I also run it on Windows 10. The only issue I've run in to is the Nvidia Graphics Card/Windows 10 issue, but the last firmware release from Nvidia appears to have cleared that up for me. (Grass = 0 issue).

Is that issue fixed now? the bluescreen/sysdump stuff when having grass enabled (grass = 1+)? I haven't touched my drivers since that started happening and left my grass at 0.. what driver version?

I'm on the latest Nvidia driver. I've also tried installing an older version of DirectX as suggested by some of the users in the below linked 21 page thread containing posts from Win 10 users with the same issue. Unfortunately this had no effect.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=859343&page=21

So... I just canceled my sub. Will gladly resub if the issue is fixed. Not canceling out of protest - simply don't want to waste money on something that I literally cannot play - from a technical perspective. I considered reverting to Win 7, but I think it's silly to do that for just 1 game. I can wait.

The problem isn't with SWTOR or Windows 10. It is a problem with your specific machine. As evidenced by many people like myself that can and have attested to the fact that you can play SWTOR on Windows 10.

There isn't anything for Bioware to fix, the problem is somewhere on your end.

It is possible you'll end up having to do a clean install of Windows 10. But something isn't working there.

Have you completely removed NVidia drivers and reinstalled using their clean install option?

I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Windows 10 last night. Ironically, my goal was to improve performance and reduce/eliminate in-game intermittent stutter. The good news is that worked. The bad news is that the game blue screens whenever I now use a Taxi (known issue - a quick search on this forum found many users with the exact same issue). On top of that, in a boss fight none of my abilities (nor movement) worked. All abilities were grayed out - almost as if I was stunned - and I couldn't move. Once I died and attempted to respawn, the game wouldn't recognize my mouse.

So.... I take it the latest patch isn't Windows 10 compatible. Seems silly to revert to an old operating system just to play this game. Did anyone else do that, or has anyone managed to get their Windows 10 version working smoothly?

i have windows 10 and it works just fine

So you are having a problem - makes the game not Windows 10 compatible?

So long as the research has been done and the evidence collected fairly I cannot possibly see why that isn't a fair statement.....

Problem with your setup I'm afraid. Run a Win 10 refresh, that'll fix and bad and corrupted files. Both NVidia and AMD drivers recently have been problematic and you need to turn-down or switch off certain features for them to work correctly with SWTOR - that's what you get when a games company refuses to pay the yearly subscription for the "Supported by......." status from the graphics card companies - issues in drivers are not fixed in a timely manner.

If you haven't already done this you should try to do a clean install of Windows 10.

After discussions (about Windows 10 in general) with my work IT bloke he tells me that there are significant differences in performance and reliability between a 'Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10' and a 'Windows 10 clean installation'

I run on windows 10 without problem.

I had a couple of glitches due to my NVidia 970 card (antialiasing across frames causes me issues so I have it disabled).

I have once had my mouse become unresponsive - toon stuck running - but I also experienced that in Windows 7 on occasion.

I don't think that it can be down to Windows 10.

I've had similar experiences on other online games and it happens so infrequently that I put it down to dropped network packets.

I have a dual-screen machine running Windows 10 upgraded (while dual-screen) from 7, using an nVidia GT 430. I had the grass=0 issue, but fixed it like everyone else by setting grass=0. I have occasional slowness, but that's all, and I had that before the upgrade to 10.

So like the others above, I'm going to point the finger at your machine itself as the source of your problems.

I do have problems with crashing that started after a win update / patch 4.04 - not sure which is to blame, if either. Everything was fine until around this time-period - now I get, maybe half a dozen or so crashes per evening - generally when changing planets / cutscenes. Pain in the backside as it rules me out of FPs and Ops - would seem a bit discourteous to others to join with an unstable system. I always know when it's about to crash as the audio drops out very briefly before returning for a few seconds, then crash to desktop. That said, I'm sure it'll turn out to be a 'me' issue rather than a Win 10 issue.

Haven't had much luck with in-game support - just the common auto-close shenanigans :(

Why going to Windows 10 when 100% of the specialized review tells the gamer to not migrate to it ? And for numerous reasons ...

Beyond the introduction of DirectX 12, gaming on Windows 10 isn’t much different than gaming on Windows 8. And when it comes to raw performance, it’s not so different than gaming on Windows 7, either.

There is no differences between Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 in term of raw performances (people who says the contrary lies) but in term of problems, they are numerous: issue with games compatibility, hardware not recognized, etc etc

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-verdict-is-in-on-windows-10-gaming-performance-compatibility/

Edited by Lexhorn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.