Sucks to be Squelched

armstrongggggggg

Sucks to be Squelched

The automatic squelching system in SWTOR is being abused by Trolls and all of Harbinger is paying the price. Once again because of china credit farmers the community can’t have nice things. The reason I say this is because Bio Wares solution to the General chat spam of “CHINA CHINA #1 YOU BUY CREDITS!” was to initiate an automated squelching system where if any player is reported (regardless of if they ever type in any chat channel) by different people approximately 10 times they are automatically squelched for a 24 hour period.

Imagine this power in the hands of an MMO’s troll community. I don’t like what you’re saying…Squelched. Did you just stealth cap grass on me...Squelched.

I hope you don’t like typing, that or you know how to keep a low profile. Because if not there is a squelching in your future. Most of you are reading this probably thinking “so what, I can’t type for 24hrs OH NOES!”, at least that is what I thought the first time. I mostly use Mumble, Vent, etc. But the first time you are guarding snow and can’t make the call for help because “You are squelched.”, and some guy starts getting salty in ops chat you will see how aggravating it really is.

I hope you are all prepared to pay the troll toll, because it’s coming to a planet near you.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On my 3rd or 4th squelching in less than a week, and let me tell you how crappy it is, especially when you're a bystander because you're new to the guild, and your guild tried to have a friendly conquest challenge with another guild, only to find out the other guild is full of people who act like children. Who cross outside the game to harass our members, who taunt us regularly because they know as much as we do that Bioware does not care. That's what it feels like anyhow after 40+ in game tickets all ignored by them, and the customer support on the phone refusing to do anything because it has to be handled by the in-game team (who they can't call because that totally makes sense /s).

You'd think you'd get some level of customer support from Bioware since we do pay a sub.

Edited by solitary

Totally serious but.... How is this an issue?

10 people reported you for.... what exactly? Can't be nothing.

Or are you saying that people conspired to get you squelched? Why exactly?

I'm not sure I see the problem - what's the issue?

I guess I don't understand how you can get reported 10x in a particular time window without doing something to cause it to happen.... no?

I guess I don't understand how you can get reported 10x in a particular time window without doing something to cause it to happen.... no?

Welcome to the internet. There are these things called Trolls here. You should google it.

Edited by Warcrimez

Not hard to get nine other people to report someone.

Report spam it can be nothing be can abuse the automatic report system to stop people from playing the game

Did you not bother to read the thread? There are people who thrive on the Internet by being jerks to others. There are more than ten of these types of people. There are even entire guilds of these types of people.

All you need is a group of ten people with a common goal to grief others, and you get what the OP is talking about. They can pick random people to grief. You don't have to do anything other than be noticed by them.

I am trying not to bring up any names of speculation of the people doing it but a certain guild is abusing and exploiting this system for harrasment

Total Drama Island isn't the issue. The automated squelching system with no review is clearly not functioning as intended. No one at BioWare stopped and thought...wait someone might abuse this?

You should be able to spam/chat in WZs , because if you cant ... this hurts the whole group, not just you. You cant tell them where to go and what to do. Those WZs are all about group chat and coordination. You shouldnt be squelched in PvP.

So true but raids an fps you should have as well there needs to be a look into the squelching system pls bump

20 bagillionth time being squelched. Sucks silly exploits man

I'm just surprised I've never been squelched. Is it something that only affects non-subscribers? Can non-subscribers even post here?

I'll go off on all kinds of ridiculous tangents in fleet chat, yet I've never been squelched. I wonder if it's because I'm subscribed.

I'm just surprised I've never been squelched. Is it something that only affects non-subscribers? Can non-subscribers even post here?

I'll go off on all kinds of ridiculous tangents in fleet chat, yet I've never been squelched. I wonder if it's because I'm subscribed.

Non-subs cannot post here, no.

You don't have to do anything to be reported for spam, that's how easy it is for people to abuse the system. Bioware really screwed up here.

Probably more that no one cares about anything you're saying, and I don't mean that in a negative way. People rarely use the report spam feature because you're going to leave the area soon anyways. BBB is exploiting the game no different than cheating.