The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Scammed, Ripped off, and mislead... WTH Cartel Market?!

Phaedruss

The Cubes turn the packs into a huge rip off and scam... And for multiple reasons.

I generally spend 200-500 dollars on packs when a new pack comes out.

(Dont judge, Oil field worker in the middle of Wyoming. Single, no kids, nothing better spend my money on and i never break the bank or anything haha.)

So for veteran players like myself, who have invested into older packs the cubes are a complete slap in the face...

I had a great many of my recent hypercrates open up with about 1-2/3 packs having 2 cubes (2 cubes, companions gifts, jawa junk, but no new items.). On packs as such: I've just spent money on items I've already dumped money into getting in the past. When you get the cubes, it almost eliminates the chances of getting a new item... Instead of it rolling on items out of the new packs, its rolling on old items, which means that when I do spend money on the NEW packs for NEW items only 1-2 of 3 of them produce anything of interest. The thing that pisses me off the most about it is that I'm now being forced to buy items I've already bought. (not forced as in they are twisting my arm to spend money, but when I buy a new pack I want new items not items I've already went through RNG hell to obtain previously...)

Now...

Add this to the extremely low drop rate, I'd say more so than any other item that has hit the CM.

The Average 200-500 i usually spend when a packs come out, that usually has good results with obtaining what i want or obtaining enough to sell to get what I want, is useless (in Prophecy of Five the 1h saber is going upward of 100mil with the LOW LOW LOW population that is yet to be addressed...). Without any warning at all about how Rare this item is.

Call me crazy, but getting a bunch of people used to a decently stable drop rate for rare items, that cost real money, and then all of a sudden dropping the loot rate further is about as scammy as you can get to me...

I dont think I've ever felt more ripped off in my life. Ebay has not even screwed me this hard...

You can say its "always been a gamble..." or whatever,

but i feel super mislead, ripped off, and scammed after this pack.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you sell the packs instead of opening them? Last I saw on the gtn, hypercrates were selling for about 8 million and if you buy the $99 deal for 14500 cc, then you can easily buy two hypercrates. If you buy two units of $99 you can buy five hypercrates and sell them for a total of 40 million credits, which is enough or close enough for you to buy the lightsaber. You will still have 2k cc left over.

Had you sold the hypercrates you bought for $400, then you would have made 80 million credits with 4k left over cartel coins.You could have bought every item that drops from the pack. I only open packs if I am content with what drops from them including the bronze items. Otherwise, it's better to sell the hypercrates than to open them.

Why not transfer off PoT5? It cost 90 cc to transfer off the server. That is BW encouraging players to transfer off PoT5. There isn't going to be a merge or anything BW is going to do about pot5. Either transfer off and sacrifice your sh/guild ship or stay and rot on pot5. It's that simple.

Edited by Knockerz

Point being, I have never felt scammed through the CM until now.

With the reduction of drop rates, chance cubes, etc...

You can't get a player base, that generally is ok and comfortable spending money on a certain drop % and then without saying anything at all reduce the chances of winning. That is literally baiting people into a scam, and may even stretch the border of what is and is not morally ok and legal.

Edited by Phaedruss

Then why did you buy so many? its not their fault. They neither scammed you or made you buy them.

Exactly why help feed their cartel pack metrics they told people about the chance cube ahead of time. You could have let someone else open the packs for you and bought the item off the GTN. Either way you got what you paid for it's simple as that. :)

:rak_03::rak_04::rak_03:

Exactly why help feed their cartel pack metrics they told people about the chance cube ahead of time. You could have let someone else open the packs for you and bought the item off the GTN. Either way you got what you paid for it's simple as that. :)

Ummmm actually, I was not aware that a good majority of the packs would only come with chance cubes...

As stated in the post, part of why i feel ripped off is that a lot of the packs had double cubes... Meaning I was not getting any new items at all from those packs.

This isn't me ************ about RNG, or gambling...

This is me being very upset about scammy changes.

Ummmm actually, I was not aware that a good majority of the packs would only come with chance cubes...

As stated in the post, part of why i feel ripped off is that a lot of the packs had double cubes... Meaning I was not getting any new items at all from those packs.

This isn't me ************ about RNG, or gambling...

This is me being very upset about scammy changes.

I think this is about how a lot of people felt. The odds of getting old 'junk' is too high.

While some people want to say it's borderline fraud etc, you do your research before you buy anything from a car dealer yea? You research a little on your computer etc etc to make sure you're not buying a product that's shoddy or has hidden 'catches', you should be checking what 'limited time offers' are going and be suspicious of the place that is always doing 'huge bargain sales, up to 50% off!' on everything. Same thing here really;

I know I'm getting a new box that has a chance of having a variety of items in it. I know sometimes the chance boxes I can buy have things I really like, some of which are lower chance than others. There have been recent changes to the boxes I like to buy. Some of them may be disagreeable to me. As a consumer, I'm going to check if there's a chance of those box having (multiple) steaming piles of **** in them. Because I don't want a box full of ****, I do my research. I saw that the 'new' chances added in a bronze box that replaced all 'bronze' items that could have been 'new' bronze items. Instead of giving anything new, all of these boxes contain old things. Much of it being old **** that I did not want anymore. I waited on buying any to see what the reviews on this 'new' change would be.

I held onto my CC to unlock things, and bought the specific items I wanted from GTN as they came up and did so at a significantly reduced cost because of the volume of people trying the 'new' boxes and finding 'old' crap in them as they tried for the highly sought after items - like the new sabers.

We knew this change was coming last month. The earliest forum post I saw about it was 1/27/2015/

When the chance cubes were introduced, many of us *****ed about it right off. Sight unseen. They were to replace bronze items and we knew how often bronze items dropped in prior packs. Often. They even had a description of what they were below.

Hey folks,

As you may know, our Cartel Market team has been making constant adjustments to how packs work, since our rework in Fallen Empire. We have heard in the past few months a lot of feedback from players that they really like the functionality of the “Grand Packs.” Think of anything from the Bronze, Silver, Gold Packs to the old Grand packs we released last year. Because of this, we are making some changes to the new pack which will release with 4.1.

Currently when you open a Cartel Market pack, this is what you receive:

• 2 items from the pack (Mounts, Decorations, etc)
  • 1 rank 5 or 6 Companion Gift
  • 1 Scrap

When you open the new Anarchist Pack in 4.1 you will receive the following:

• 2 items- either a new item from the pack (Mounts, Decorations, etc) or a Grand Chance Cube (more on this in a second)
  • 1 Scrap

Now you are asking, what is the Grand Chance Cube? Think of it as the ultimate Grand Pack. Inside a Grand Chance Cube you have a chance to receive any available Cartel Market Pack item, including from the current Pack. Also, the Grand Chance Cube acts as a Grand Pack in that if you open an Armor Lootbox, it will contain the entire armor set, not just a few pieces.

This change allows us to place more emphasis on the Silver and Gold items in each pack, as we are no longer building new Bronze items. Now, in place of Bronze items you will receive a Grand Chance Cube. This Cube can contain the rarest of Cartel Market selections, giving you a second chance at highly-desired items.

Due to the ongoing changes in the Cartel Market, all of this is subject to change. It is likely that more changes will follow in the future.

Let me know if you have any questions on how these new packs work and I will work to clear up any confusion.

-eric

I'm starting to wish they'd merge all of the 'I feel this was a scam' threads together periodically just to have some forum control and keep down the spammy nature of having so many threads open about them.

Edited by Manathayria

When the chance cubes were introduced, many of us *****ed about it right off. Sight unseen. They were to replace bronze items and we knew how often bronze items dropped in prior packs. Often. They even had a description of what they were below.

I read that post when they posted it.

Nowhere does it explain that the chance cubes will completely opt you out of getting new gear...

It doesn't explain clearly that the chance cubes can and will be rolled twice in one pack, therefor nearly eliminating your chances of getting something new from that pack. When its close to half of the packs that I opened that were like this, that is a complete rip off. I shouldn't have to do immense research on items in a game I trust (trusted) made by a company I trust (trusted) to make sure they are not going to scam me. I've bought every pack that has come out since they came out, and never felt like i was being mislead, ripped off, or scammed. Because they werent pulling **** like this.

I bought about 10 packs and got mostly crud. 2 days ago bought 1 more pack, crud again, however the chance cube gave me the Unstable Lightsaber which I sold today for 49 million. I don't feel ripped off at all. Surprised it came from the cube though.

Pack or hypercrate (or supercrate, whatever they're calling them now though). Most of the people I've seen complaining have been buying crates, not just a few of the packs themselves.

I read that post when they posted it.

Nowhere does it explain that the chance cubes will completely opt you out of getting new gear...

It doesn't explain clearly that the chance cubes can and will be rolled twice in one pack, therefor nearly eliminating your chances of getting something new from that pack. When its close to half of the packs that I opened that were like this, that is a complete rip off. I shouldn't have to do immense research on items in a game I trust (trusted) made by a company I trust (trusted) to make sure they are not going to scam me. I've bought every pack that has come out since they came out, and never felt like i was being mislead, ripped off, or scammed. Because they werent pulling **** like this.

You can get new items from chance cubes even though it's a low chance. While I empathize with your situation all I can say is in the future wait till people have opened the packs and check the overall response. There were plenty of reviews and threads after the pack came out. If you are still after the lightsaber my suggestion is either buy more packs or buy it off the GTN, personally I suggest the latter.Although since the chance cubes came out alot of old rare items are now affordable and alot of people like that. Maybe they will change the packs if enough people are dissatisfied with them who knows? Anyways best of luck getting the saber. :)

It doesn't explain clearly that the chance cubes can and will be rolled twice in one pack, therefor nearly eliminating your chances of getting something new from that pack.

2 items- either a new item from the pack (Mounts, Decorations, etc) or a Grand Chance Cube (more on this in a second)

To me that 'or' says I'm getting a new item 'or' the old CM items. Not both.

It very clearly states to me that there will be a good chance that I'll get two grand chance cubes because they are bronze items. I opened other hypercrates - I had multiple boxes with only bronze crap and crap consumables in them even with the early boxes. To me, that states the cubes would be a higher drop rate than the current items, and are a reason I waited to see how the drop rate would turn.

I 100% agree, it is ****** that they did this, people buy new boxes to get new items in them. Not to get the older items that they have no interest in anymore. I firmly believe that if they want to do anything like the chance cubes, they should keep anything like the grand chance cubes as a separate purchase that we opt into getting the older items. Infact, I would like to see the gold/silver/bronze packs back and in category by which hypercrate they can pull from.

I do not in any way shape or form like the new system with chance cubes inside hypercrates. This is why I opted not to buy any of the crates either from gtn or from the CM this time. I chose only to buy specific items from other players and to wait on buying crates because I was suspicious of it. When the drop rates came out on the forums, decided I hate the change! That said, I don't feel they 'scammed' or were 'misleading' on what they said was in the boxes. People got what they paid for. Unfortunately, what was paid for this time was not of a quality that was acceptable to many of us.

Edit; That all having been said, if they added the chance cubes as a possible third item drop so our chances were to read something more like this;

• 2 items- a new item from the pack (Mounts, Decorations, etc) with a possible 3rd item that is a or a Grand Chance Cube(Gold or silver quality item, can drop any prior or current pack item - Low drop rate)
  • 1 Scrap

Or even having the cube as gold/silver and only able to take up one of the two possible current item slots - with one of the two items always being guaranteed to be of the current pack... that would be more in line with an acceptable drop rate on cubes.

Edited by Manathayria

To me that 'or' says I'm getting a new item 'or' the old CM items. Not both.

It very clearly states to me that there will be a good chance that I'll get two grand chance cubes because they are bronze items. I opened other hypercrates - I had multiple boxes with only bronze crap and crap consumables in them even with the early boxes. To me, that states the cubes would be a higher drop rate than the current items, and are a reason I waited to see how the drop rate would turn.

I 100% agree, it is ****** that they did this, people buy new boxes to get new items in them. Not to get the older items that they have no interest in anymore. I firmly believe that if they want to do anything like the chance cubes, they should keep anything like the grand chance cubes as a separate purchase that we opt into getting the older items. Infact, I would like to see the gold/silver/bronze packs back and in category by which hypercrate they can pull from.

I do not in any way shape or form like the new system with chance cubes inside hypercrates. This is why I opted not to buy any of the crates either from gtn or from the CM this time. I chose only to buy specific items from other players and to wait on buying crates because I was suspicious of it. When the drop rates came out on the forums, decided I hate the change! That said, I don't feel they 'scammed' or were 'misleading' on what they said was in the boxes. People got what they paid for. Unfortunately, what was paid for this time was not of a quality that was acceptable to many of us.

Before they released this new pack several people and myself suggested that they do two separate packs one being a new pack and the other being a grand chance pack. It really would've saved this debacle and it's a shame that it wasn't implemented. It would've also kept most people happy in my opinion.

Edited by squirrelballz

Back in high school I worked at a fireworks store, dont buy fireworks they are a huge scam, and they would always scam people with "deals".

You would see buy one get one free, but without knowing so they would just double the pricing and it would force you into buying two. This is the perfect example, this experience left me feeling like I was forced into buying something i didnt want in order to get what I wanted...

I just came back from a month and a half break, was waiting on the new content, and this has destroyed me wanting to return. I can't even get through new chapter because i feel so jipped... I had read up on the chance cubes prior to, but had no idea they would be this extreme of a change. Trying to get a refund of some sort, or at least something to make it right, though I dont know how well that will turn out. I dont think I'll ever put another cent into BioWare if something isnt done to make this right.

This isnt chump change they are messing with when they pull stuff like this...

You weren't "forced" to buy anything.

My original post states "(not forced as in they are twisting my arm to spend money, but when I buy a new pack I want new items not items I've already went through RNG hell to obtain previously...)"

So thanks for stating the obvious...

Point wasnt that they forced me to buy packs, its that the new packs make me roll on old items I've already paid for in previous packs. Aka they are forcing me to buy old stuff, if i want to try and roll for the new stuff...

I bought a hypercrate and got 12 complete sets of armor I didn't have or only had pieces of. I was so happy about it I bought 2 more hypercrates and was disappointed when I didn't get as many chance cubes...lol...but I was able to finish all the new sets with plenty of upper/lower/supp boxes to sell on the GTN.

The chance at getting older items and new items seems fairly balanced there. I also knew what I was getting a chance at when buying the new packs, so I personally don't see the issue.

I bought a hypercrate and got 12 complete sets of armor I didn't have or only had pieces of. I was so happy about it I bought 2 more hypercrates and was disappointed when I didn't get as many chance cubes...lol...but I was able to finish all the new sets with plenty of upper/lower/supp boxes to sell on the GTN.

The chance at getting older items and new items seems fairly balanced there. I also knew what I was getting a chance at when buying the new packs, so I personally don't see the issue.

I've gone through RNG hell with every pack they have released. All my CM reputations are maxed, I have a good chunk of items in my collections unlocked. Now i understand that this was to make it so other people have chances to get these items, new players, etc...

But it really ***** over players like me who have invested into every pack. (There are more of us than you think)

People which spend hundreds of dollar, euros, rubel, Yen or whatever into "lottery" packs have in my opinion a serious problem. Goo seek medical attention. NOW!

For the new lottery pack:

BW put the sword into the pack because the rest of it su**s a**!

And you feel ripped? Well, just like Donald Trump: It's not what you want but what you deserve!

All I think of when I read these type of threads is "I bought something on a gamble for something I wanted to get, I didn't get its so it must be a scam"

Sorry you knew what you were buying and the risk involved at start

You could of just sold the crates if you didn't want to risk crappy rewards

And that is talking from personal experience, I bought some of the crates, got nothing but junk,

But I don't feel I was scammed, I chose to purchase them, so I knew I wasn't guaranteed good stuff