Do you think the game is coming to an end?

darocks

Im not trying to start a fight or anything i just want honest opinions with the news the BW is hiring for a new IP and as we see slow updates less fixes less and less news coming from BW. What do YOU personally think or feel. Which direction do you think or feel the game is going.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the game has not-so-secretly gone into what most people call 'Maintenance Mode'. Meaning EA/BW will milk it for as much as they possibly can before closing it, and as long as the profit is above a certain % they will keep it open. But, the producer will have to 'do more with less' to keep the doors open, as the IP loses players and funding.

What it means for you as a player is more manipulative tactics like the shenanigans of the last Cartel Market Packs, Less Customer Support (is that possible?), and less and less content being added to the game.

It will stay open for a while, but be less and less worth playing. Unless EA/BW decide to switch directions (I hope), but right now this is the path they are on.

Maintenance Mode wonderful use of the term.

It all depends what they do after the chapters.

They have said that the story chapters are what they are focusing on and that is exactly what we get.

The Star Wars concept is a goldmine, I do not think they will abandon that yet now with more movies comming.

They should focus on bringing in more players and try to activate the community a bit more, make new players want to come and join the fun.

Edited by Icestar

Do I think so? No. The signs are simply not there, as most games that DID close had some signs it was happening...this one doesn't have any of those tell tale signs IMO.

FE represents a significant expense IMO. There was little to no need for the expansion, other than perhaps to increase subscription levels. Now, perhaps FE did not reduce churn rate, and certainly a few recent missteps didn't help things, but frankly there just isnt the lack of patronage that would be required as a symptom.

Nor is there a lack of development or content IMO...it may not be content that some folks like, but it is STILL CONTENT.

Now, is overall player levels declining? Perhaps. That I really can't speculate on. It doesn't seem that way to me, but it is possible.

What is dying (or has died, IMO) is the standard MMO paradigm it seems. That DOES seem to be on it's way out, and not just here.

Edited by LordArtemis

Do I think so? No. The signs are simply not there, as most games that DID close had some signs it was happening...this one doesn't have any of those tell tale signs IMO.

FE represents a significant expense IMO. There was little to no need for the expansion, other than perhaps to increase subscription levels. Now, perhaps FE did not reduce churn rate, and certainly a few recent missteps didn't help things, but frankly there just isnt the lack of patronage that would be required as a symptom.

Nor is there a lack of development or content IMO...it may not be content that some folks like, but it is STILL CONTENT.

Now, is overall player levels declining? Perhaps. That I really can't speculate on. It doesn't seem that way to me, but it is possible.

What is dying (or has died, IMO) is the standard MMO paradigm it seems. That DOES seem to be on it's way out, and not just here.

Very well written thank you for your input.

There is a clear lack of content with the rise of KOTFE. KOTFE only offers 9 (now 10) chapters of story, which are okay, and a few variations of star fortresses.

ROTHC had -

Two different planetary arcs from a different perspective, one empire, and one republic for Makeb, and Makeb isn't exactly a small planet either. Plenty of side quests and a new repeatable quest line once finished with the main storyline.

Dread seeder story arc.

Macro binocular story arc.

Fully voiced.

Two new operations. (Yes, I'm still counting TC)

KOTFE so far has -

10 chapters, nine released at once, all from the same perspective, regardless of class. These are all very tight space areas with little to no room exploring, although it looks great, it lacks the ability to be explored.

Two planets, one is a VERY miniscule hub, another VERY small planet, yet detailed city.

Very few side quests, all of which feature a companion and a lack of voice from the character.

"Star Fortresses" which is basically 7 instanced areas which offers very little to no replay ability.

Edited by peter_plankskull

Yes, i do think the game is moving to Maintenance Mode.

There does not seem to be enough developers and QA assigned to SWTOR, that is shown clearly in the number of bugs and other un-intended features ending into live servers.

The BW has clearly lost the plot between new features introduced in broken state (Armormech, Syntweaving, Artifice), while breaking the existing game mechanics in OPS and other areas, gold mobs do not drop loot at all in many places, strong droids in many places are exhibiting the same trend.

Mobs do not longer drop companion gift items or the drop chance has been reduced to near Zero.

Daily missions for FPs are missing, you get the daily reward for the FPs using group finder but the daily mision is no longer available.

Im not trying to start a fight or anything i just want honest opinions with the news the BW is hiring for a new IP and as we see slow updates less fixes less and less news coming from BW. What do YOU personally think or feel. Which direction do you think or feel the game is going.

all they would have to do is put a swtor trailer in one of the new movies and bam theyre back

4 years ago - this game is dead... no one is going to play this ***** anymore, it sucks

3 years ago - this game is dead... no one is going to play this ***** anymore, it sucks

2 years ago - this game is dead... no one is going to play this ***** anymore, it sucks

1 year ago - this game is dead... no one is going to play this ***** anymore, it sucks

so ... yeah.. it's going to die any minute... :)

it's true, many people have left this game, but it is also true that many new players arrived.

i wish we had numbers to see : how many are subscribed, how many of those where active the last 30 days..

how many people left (unsubscribed and inactive for longer then 30 days) , how many new people arrived or old ones came back... would be interesting to know.

i just don't think it is coming to an end soon.

Edited by ClaytonL

There is a clear lack of content with the rise of KOTFE. KOTFE only offers 9 (now 10) chapters of story, which are okay, and a few variations of star fortresses.

ROTHC had -

Two different planetary arcs from a different perspective, one empire, and one republic for Makeb, and Makeb isn't exactly a small planet either. Plenty of side quests and a new repeatable quest line once finished with the main storyline.

Oricon story arc, slightly different between empire/republic medium sized map.WRONG! Oricon did not come out until patch 2.4

CZ-198 story arc. WRONG! it was Patch 2.3

Forged alliances story arc part I and II. WRONG Patch 2.10ish

Dread seeder story arc.

Macro binocular story arc.

Fully voiced.

Two new operations. WRONG at launch we only got ONE new Operation, unless you're really counting Toborro's Courtyard. Terror from Beyond was a elvel 50 op raised to 55. calling it a new op for 2.0 would be no differant from claiming 4.0 gave us 9 new raids

Four new flashpoints. WRONG when 2.0 launched we had no new flashpoints, some older flashpoints where upscaled to 55 and used as the hard modes at the time

KOTFE so far has -

10 chapters, nine released at once, all from the same perspective, regardless of class. These are all very tight space areas with little to no room exploring, although it looks great, it lacks the ability to be explored.

Two planets, one is a VERY miniscule hub, another VERY small planet, yet detailed city.

Very few side quests, all of which feature a companion and a lack of voice from the character.

"Star Fortresses" which is basically 7 instanced areas which offers very little to no replay ability.

kindly remember 2.X was a year and a half developmental cycle, we're barely 3 months into 4.0. you can't compare what we got throughout that ENTIRE year and a half dev cycle to 4.0 at launch

4 years ago - this game is dead... no one is going to play this ***** anymore, it sucks

3 years ago - this game is dead... no one is going to play this ***** anymore, it sucks

2 years ago - this game is dead... no one is going to play this ***** anymore, it sucks

1 year ago - this game is dead... no one is going to play this ***** anymore, it sucks

so ... yeah.. it's going to die any minute... :)

it's true, many people have left this game, but it is also true that many new players arrived.

i wish we had numbers to see : how many are subscribed, how many of those where active the last 30 days..

how many people left (unsubscribed and inactive for longer then 30 days) , how many new people arrived or old ones came back... would be interesting to know.

i just don't think it is coming to an end soon.

I wasn't saying its dying the game sucks Im not one of those people personally I love this game i play it everyday I just wanted to know how others feel.

I've been subscribed from day 1 and heard the same question being asked over and over and over. 4 years later and the game is still adding new content at a faster pace than ever.

I guess the doomsayers will be right eventually maybe next decade or something.

kindly remember 2.X was a year and a half developmental cycle, we're barely 3 months into 4.0. you can't compare what we got throughout that ENTIRE year and a half dev cycle to 4.0 at launch

Welp... I... I thank you for this actually, I was only a f2p at the time and never paid attention to any of the new content that launched, going to edit... but all mistakes aside, the base of ROTHC is still far more than KOTFE.

I've been subscribed from day 1 and heard the same question being asked over and over and over. 4 years later and the game is still adding new content at a faster pace than ever.

I guess the doomsayers will be right eventually maybe next decade or something.

Alright... well.. I got corrected in another post just above yours... so I.. I uh... prob.. probably lost some of my credibility... but 18 months without a new op isn't a faster pace than ever, and neither is 2 years without a warzone.

Sure, there giving more story content than before faster, but the base of it is so miniscule so it really doesn't matter.

Edited by peter_plankskull

Yes all games will eventually end. The question is when.

When do the publishing rights expire? There's your answer right there. Guaranteed Disney is anxiously waiting to jump in and get their own Star Wars mmorpg going.

Yeah, IMO this is the only thing to legitimately worry about, this is the doom that looms over SWTOR future is the fact that Disney is not in on it - and they seem to run a tight ship and keep everything in house. SWTOR stands out like a sore thumb im sure to them.

The game has been and continues to be in maintenance mode.

This doesn't mean the servers are going to be shut down anytime soon - mmos can run a really long time in such a mode. It just means one should not get one's hope up for, say a Wrath of the Lich King type expansion anytime soon...

Best hope for a real expansion/new content? That EA/Bioware sells the game and it's engine to another development team. But since the game appears to make them money, even that is a slim hope at all...