The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Are Gunslingers and Sentinels too weak for ops?

Toast_and_Tea

Greetings swtor players

I Joined a KP HM run with a guild that was looking for a DPS, when they found out that I was playing a Gunslinger they then asked me if I had a commando, I told them no because when I played a Trooper I spec’d as a Vanguard tank, and I didn't want to go through the trooper story again. They then told me that Gunslingers as well as sentinels were no longer good DPS and that Commandos were the best because they do high DPS, they were however nice to me and didn’t kick me out of the group, and I even won a 224 piece(KP HM was priority during that time) . I just feel a little bummed out that my favorite class in the game is no longer considered to be good enough for ops.

Has anyone had a similar experience? And is it true that Gunslingers and sentinels no longer viable for ops runs?

Both Gunslingers, and Sentinels are fine for Ops. They can both pull good dps if you know your rotation (just like any other class). It almost sounds as if that group likes to stack 4 Commando DPS (which i've seen done), but it's completely unnecessary. Edited by Toraak

Greetings swtor players

I Joined a KP HM run with a guild that was looking for a DPS, when they found out that I was playing a Gunslinger they then asked me if I had a commando, I told them no because when I played a Trooper I spec’d as a Vanguard tank, and I didn't want to go through the trooper story again. They then told me that Gunslingers as well as sentinels were no longer good DPS and that Commandos were the best because they do high DPS, they were however nice to me and didn’t kick me out of the group, and I even won a 224 piece(KP HM was priority during that time) . I just feel a little bummed out that my favorite class in the game is no longer considered to be good enough for ops.

Has anyone had a similar experience? And is it true that Gunslingers and sentinels no longer viable for ops runs?

In addition to simply being wrong as many have already said, the thing that infuriates me when I hear things like this is that it is an example of lazy, simplistic "strategy" masquerading as having "high standards" in half-baked raiding guilds and PUG-star raiders. Even if they weren't blatantly wrong, they'd still be narrow minded fools.

Every class in this game is viable in any Ops content if you know how to play! The only people that have to cling to their flavor of the moment advanced class crutch are people that like to feel elite by kicking PUG's out of groups for lacking gear (in SM Ops that are bolstered and can be cleared naked with a mainhand weapon) and telling people that only certain classes are viable.

Commandos are great right now. My main progression toon has been a Gunnery Commando since the day I walked into an Operation for the first time. They weren't nearly as strong in prior iterations of class balance as they are today, but what was true in 3.x for my Commando is true in 4.x for lower theoretical DPS classes... A good player that can parse in the top 10% of their advanced class is going to be better than 50-75% of players in every other class, always. There's simply not that big of a spread among the classes and players that know the fights and/or are quick learners can progress through content with any advanced class and spec in the game.

If you gave me 24 hours I bet I could out-DPS every one of their Commandos on the advanced class and spec of their choosing. Groups like that get my heart rate up because they run off eager players that could become quality raiders but are new to MMO's like I was when I started playing SWTOR. If that's happened to you and you're new to the game or new to end-game content, find one of the many good GM's in this game (or DM me and I'll help you connect with one on your server), join their guilds that are willing to help people learn and grow as players, then next that guild is "LFM ..." on fleet you can whisper the guy and offer to carry his FOTM scrubs.

(Note: not saying the OP isn't good at his class, the last part was a generalization of his experience and how it can affect new players)

Two of the best DPS in my ops group are a gunslinger and a sentinel.

I have all the classes, in my personal opinion, Gunslingers and Sentinels are great DPS if you know the class well and know their rotations, but terrible if you don't.

Commando/Mercs are better for average to under-average players. I think their max isn't as high, but their floor isn't as low.

My 2 cents.

Snipers/GS and Maras/Sents are all very good HM/NiM dps classes. ISsue always lies in the player. Now commando/merc dps is also very capable and a simple rotation (gunnery/arsenal) to explain out in case the person doesn't know what they are doing. Perhaps that was their thought - but if they are of the belief that GS/Sent can't do HM they are mistaken.

Greetings swtor players

Not sure who that idiot was, but he is full of crap and honestly your better off not going. I am in 2 OPs teams and sharpshooters are damn fine dps (and we parse all dps), and sentinels can be if they know their class and use their group buffs they are awesome. The only negative is that the SOR OPs are a little punishing on melee dps, but they still can lay down numbers if they are good.

Greetings swtor players

Yep. Sents/maras are bad. TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

real talk, DPS mercs/mandos actually result in a loss of DPS if they use their group buff, its 100x better to have a merc/mando healer pop it, otherwise sans merc/mando healers, its better to just forgo it in the long run.

Bloodthirst/inspiration on the other hand does not result in a dps loss to anyone.

as for snipers/slingers vs merc/mando, comparable DPS, snipers/slingers have the potential for more, it comes down to the player at the point. but snipers also provide better AOE dmg, and better group utility in the form of sniper shield, which is incredibly useful. im not saying merc dps is bad, im saying that the two bring different things to the table aside from DPS.

further more, KP is a laughing stock and can be completed with 4 lethality operatives as your dps comp.

and any of the content anymore, pretty much the higher dps compositions do help greatly, but prior experience in mechanics, knowing how to execute a classes rotations, and utilize its utility at certain points in the fight will lead to an overall group success, and not a bunch of monkeys smashing heatseeker missles and seeing 22-25ks popping above a bosses head thinking they are good.

tldr, that group was wrong.

Hmm, given a choice between a Mercenary/Commando or a Sniper/Gunslinger for a DPS role on any content I can think of at the moment, I would take the Sniper/Gunslinger, assuming the classes are played equally well.

The exceptions to that would be if I knew the player was a drooling idiot (I usually find that incompetent gunslingers do less DPS than incompetent Commandos, but YMMV). And if the player is a drooling idiot, I would really rather not have them along at all...

If the group is looking for a class which can DPS and off-heal at the same time, then obviously the Merc/Commando wins out because the Gunslinger has no specific heals.

The question of Merc/Commando versor Marauder/Sentinel for a DPS role is a little more content-dependent, and also player skill-dependent because Mara/Sent has awesome DPS potential but it requires mastery of the class to unlock that potential, and it is not an easy class to master.

Some HMs (covered above) are not melee-friendly, so there will be occasions where I would rather take a ranged DPS than melee. But a blanket "Commando is better than Sentinel" statement is again (from my perspective) patently false.

As others have mentioned, Slingers and Sents have at least one awesome spec. What spec are ya, out of curiosity?

Sents do suffer a bit from ToS and Rav being a bit anti-melee but that's about it.

My Gunslinger is saboteur, last time I parsed it was around 5,600 DPS