Devs Please Consider Free Weapon Use!

GrandMasterKiswa

Was just reading over this thread and I had a thought that might be easier coding wise (caveat: I don't know coding, so just guessing here), as the resources are in the game already.

So the idea is this, for PT/VG one uses a pistol the other a rifle, but they are mirror classes. So they share a LOT of skills only slightly different due to description and weapon. So what if as a compromise they let us use the mirror classes weapon?

So a PT could use the rifle, and the only change that I can think of is that the flamethrower would need to come out of the rifle. So the Immolate effect would need to replace the Ion Storm effect. Also the Rocket Punch would need to be swapped with the Butt Strike (or like that) animation. So it could work as an easier way to allow some diversity, with what I would think would be less coding.

Just a thought.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adaptive armour means even light armour wearing inquisitors can look like full heavy armour, half robot bounty hunters...

Then I don't see the problem with what the OP is asking for.

Honestly, I've always thought it was super silly that my (Operative) Agents use big ole Blaster Rifles instead of Blaster Pistols. I wish I could use a small pistol on my Operative Agents, would better fit the feel and aesthetic of the class, for me.

have weapon slot on outfit designer tab and swap between rifle looks as often as outfits, without having to go trough remodding and augmenting every time i feel like changing weapons.

So many great looking weapons just wasted because nobody wants to remod for the sake of looks.

Not to mention so many great looks that are un-usable sue to being non-moddable, with lower stats.

I would be happy if all that my Jedi and Sith could do was equip a blaster pistol on their belt as a decoration. Not draw it, not use it, just have it be there. Luke carried a blaster even after finishing up with Yoda - even if Force users couldn't actually use it, they'd be a neat fashion accessory. :)

Well, I for one would love to see something like this, but find it unlikely based on the likely work involved.

However, I think it would be much more likely for them to add a weapon slot to the appearance system....would love to see that at least.

At any rate, assuming the animation setup for the game is predicated on weapon choice and not class choice I think it is highly unlikely something like this would happen.

Nothing wrong with asking though.

Oh and mara's dual wielding pistols ftw, annihi DoT spread through ranged attacks.

This reminds me of a one-against-many martial arts fight I saw in the fourth season of the French short-com series Visiteur du Futur, where Judith takes on a bunch of guys. She's using a pistol in each hand, and rather than hoping to hit moving targets at range, she does hand-to-hand style moves, punctuated with a round each time she gets a pistol's muzzle in contact with one of the guns. Very, very stylish.

Listen.

We don't to use a Blaster in combat as a Juggernaut, I just want to equip them for roleplay.

Let any class equip any weapon, and if it's not their usual (operative rifle, BH blaster) you can't any attacks. Simple really.

I want to get a devs opinion in here so badly on this topic. This is a small change but I think the community would love it!

They said something about it years ago, so it's not likely you'll get new feedback. Basically they feel its a way to make Advanced Classes feel different from each other, plus it's not a small change, it would require tons of new art time creating new animations for all the abilities.

I'm not opposed to the change, just trying to be honest with you on what expectations to have on this subject.

I don't expect BW to spend time creating new animations for attacks because we want to change weapons so the only solution I can think of is to make all advanced classes available to the any class that uses the same weapon type (i.e. sabers/guns). I made a thread in the suggestion box that didn't really get much traction.

This way they could keep all the animations the same, the playstyle would be the exact same but you could still use the weapon of your choice (as long as it's available to players already). A Trooper could play like a Scoundrel but the AC could be called something different like "Field Technician" and the skill tress could be "Covert Assault", "Advanced Weaponry" and "Emergency Responder". If you think those names are crap, it's because I just made them up :)

Doesn't solve the problems of tech staves for non-force users or keeping your advanced class but using different weapons but it's a start and probably easier to implement.

There are a host of existing animations between the various classes, advanced classes, and specs. Finding existing animations to use with different weapon / "power" combinations shouldn't be anything like hard.

OK, so where's the animation for Boltstorm with a pistol? Who can do that? You can't use the Arsenal Merc equivalent because that's going to be some lame missile thing, and Boltstorm's got to look like Boltstorm.

OK, so where's the animation for Boltstorm with a pistol? Who can do that? You can't use the Arsenal Merc equivalent because that's going to be some lame missile thing, and Boltstorm's got to look like Boltstorm.

Actually, the problem with the Merc animations is that they all feature 2 pistols -- quite a few of the Merc attacks feature actual blasterfire, however.

The Powertech probably has something, I'll take a look when I get home tonight . Or maybe Scoundrel.

Edited by Max_Killjoy