Why the harassment and toxic playerbase?

Atenah

Yup, our kids are closely monitored in their online activities (hell, I even blocked them from Youtube, though not because I was afeared of obscenities).

We do let them play Star Wars. For the most part, they pretty much ignore chat. Every once in awhile, they come and ask what someone was talking about, and we explain it. As far as the obscenities go, that I don't worry too much about... they've heard it all before.

Yup and as a parent you are well aware of what can occur in chat and have the option of disabling this as provided by EA. Ensure they are aware of the ignore functions also. I believe the swear filter is also already in place and needs to be manually turned off?

The irony here is that even if EA were banning people for abuse that doesn't change the fact the abuse has already occurred and thus in the eyes of the other poster they are automatically liable every time someone abuses someone regardless of what actions they take or precautions they make short of just not allowing any chat, mail or msgs at all.

It's rather ludicrous.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup and as a parent you are well aware of what can occur in chat and have the option of disabling this as provided by EA. Ensure they are aware of the ignore functions also. I believe the swear filter is also already in place and needs to be manually turned off?

The irony here is that even if EA were banning people for abuse that doesn't change the fact the abuse has already occurred and thus in the eyes of the other poster they are automatically liable every time someone abuses someone regardless of what actions they take or precautions they make short of just not allowing any chat, mail or msgs at all.

It's rather ludicrous.

His stupid reasoning without proof. Not even Facebook has been found liable when someone DIES because of the bullying they received on Facebook. The person is responsible, but not Facebook. Yet somehow, liability is more strict on a video game you are supposed to kill people on?

I'm not saying that online interactions are rated, I'm saying no reasonable person would expect that providing a vehicle for interactions you KNOW are going to occur, or not taking actions when they do occur when it involves minors opens you up to liability. Surgeons have you sign paperwork which makes it SEEM like you waive personal liability every time they operate on you....it doesn't work though :)

You are not waiving their negligence (actually I think you can waive mere negligence), you are essentially saying you won't sue them for battery.

OK, so this is from ESRB.

What does that say under other? Other: Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB (Windows PC)

Online interactions. Could that possibly mean interacting with other players? That is how it is advertised?

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/search.aspx?from=home&titleOrPublisher=star+wars+old+republic

And here we have the true dunning-kruger test. Lets see if he will change his mind when presented with a copy and paste, along with a link, from BW about this game....

Nope

You can't waive liability, especially when it's possibly criminal.... how many times do people need to say this?

Criminal? people swearing or calling somebody moron or idiot (re-read OP) is criminal?

An example from my life, the kickboxing club I attend sends out information (closures, grading's etc) by email. At the bottom of the email it says:

"whilst all reasonable care has been taken to ensure that this message and any attachments therein are virus free it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that no viruses are contained. *company name* accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use."

Companies are allowed to waive liability on issues outside their control. The actions of people on the internet are outside the control of BW.

Edited by BobFredJohn

I think I pee'd a little from laughing so hard. Thank you all. Arm chair jurisprudence is better than the Daily Show when John Stewart was still running it.

ESRB as a legal contract. GOLD MAN! SOLID GOLD!

nm contract law, this was my favorite gem from the thread:
According to the statute a minor even seeing obscenity once technically constitutes a crime. That's a fact.

How did this thread go from "no bully pls" to arguing about the law?

No one realized that the OP was an attention addict, and left shortly after making this thread. Then the posters with loose screws took over. Rarely any mods on the forums, so this will last a long time. :rolleyes:

If it ever dies down for more than a month, I'm gonna necro it with references to the US Constitution and citations to various Supreme Court rulings.
Speaking solely in my capacity as someone who has practiced law in the United States for more than twenty years, including cases involving Constitutional rights and twice appearing before the U.S. Supreme Court, the degree of legal expertise exhibited on these Forums always makes me throw up in my mouth a little. I confess, however, that the complete misuse of the term "waiver" is so amusing that I had to share it with my partners. It's rare to get eight lawyers of varying political and social beliefs to laugh at the same thing.

Speaking solely in my capacity as someone who has practiced law in the United States for more than twenty years, including cases involving Constitutional rights and twice appearing before the U.S. Supreme Court, the degree of legal expertise exhibited on these Forums always makes me throw up in my mouth a little. I confess, however, that the complete misuse of the term "waiver" is so amusing that I had to share it with my partners. It's rare to get eight lawyers of varying political and social beliefs to laugh at the same thing.

LOL! Who needs degrees & experience when you've got Wikipedia? :D

also shared it with a lawyer friend and his response via txt was "hahahahahahahahahaha"

At least it's not so common as armchair developers - I've worn my throat thin and been incredibly amused at times... :D

Well the reason dear OP is because we are *****s as english say we like to hurt people we are sadists we enjoy to see others suffer.

So that is why we are toxic and harras not because we have difference in opinions and we are stubborn its because we are *****s.

You are not a very attentive or thorough lawyer, then, because, prior to this post of mine, they only place the word "waiver" appears in this entire thread is in your own post. The words "waive" and "waiving" have appeared.

Edited by branmakmuffin

So tired of seeing the excuse of "well it is toxic, but that is the nature of MMOs." No, that is an excuse you just made up to absolve yourself of any blame.

It's not an excuse, it's a fact of life. People will be *******s when they're online and anonymous, but we are given tools to combat this. The only thing Bioware/EA can do more then they are currently doing is make ignore account wide and not just a single character.

It's not an excuse, it's a fact of life. People will be *******s when they're online and anonymous, but we are given tools to combat this. The only thing Bioware/EA can do more then they are currently doing is make ignore account wide and not just a single character.

Again -- not a fact of life, stop making excuses for people who don't deserve it. Are you unable to act like a decent human being on the internet because of some involuntarily behavior? Are you compelled to attack people for no reason beyond "I can't stop myself?"

And this thought that people are not bullies/trolls/whatever by nature, but by choice, does not preclude the idea that we should be provided tools to block said jerks-by-choice; that's not what I was saying at all.