The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Switch Advanced Classes

Mordresh

As this has absolutely no effect on story, I don't see a reason not to do this.

My solution? Gate it with Cartel Coins. Everyone wins:

People like the OP who want to keep their current toon bad enough will find it worth it at the right cost.

EAware makes money off of it.

You can change your toon's species with coins and that does have story/dialogue effects (albeit minor).

I don't see a reason why it needs to be more difficult than this.

Changing your species is a COSMETIC change. Changing your CLASS to go from a stealthy, melee DPS/tank to a ranged healer/DPS is not.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Changing your species is a COSMETIC change. Changing your CLASS to go from a stealthy, melee DPS/tank to a ranged healer/DPS is not.

Hence why you gate it with coins. That way it isn't a feasible repeatable change unless you're willing to toss a ton of money at the game.

I would argue that since you can just roll up and level/gear another character to fill the other role, and the purpose of this is to be able to keep your achievements/appearance/whatever other feelgood thing you associate with the current character into the new role (instead of a different character), this serves more purpose as a COSMETIC change than a mechanical one as well.

A previous poster suggested making it the same cost as a level 60 character. Have an entire new toon that's not much playing time from being good to go (while simultaneously keeping the first character to fulfill the other roles), or use the same $$ to change which set of roles on the original character is able to fulfill. It's obvious that this would primarily be geared towards those attached to the cosmetics/sentiment of their toon but are bored/frustrated/whatever with the current AC--but if you've got $100 you want to toss at swapping your AC back and forth on one char a few times instead of just buying a handful of level 60 toons and have all the specs available simultaneously and permanently... uhhh, go for it, I guess?

Once again, this isn't hard.

Edited by Strref

Hence why you gate it with coins. That way it isn't a feasible repeatable change unless you're willing to toss a ton of money at the game.

I would argue that since you can just roll up and level/gear another character to fill the other role, and the purpose of this is to be able to keep your achievements/appearance/whatever other feelgood thing you associate with the current character into the new role (instead of a different character), this serves more purpose as a COSMETIC change than a mechanical one as well.

A previous poster suggested making it the same cost as a level 60 character. Have an entire new toon that's not much playing time from being good to go (while simultaneously keeping the first character to fulfill the other roles), or use the same $$ to change which set of roles on the original character is able to fulfill. It's obvious that this would primarily be geared towards those attached to the cosmetics/sentiment of their toon but are bored/frustrated/whatever with the current AC.

Once again, this isn't hard.

It goes against the design intent of the devs.

Although the original devs may no longer be with this game, I'm going to guess that even the new devs share those sentiments since we still cannot change class, and the devs have been totally silent regarding class changes for over 2 years.

Let's see...

Knight/Warrior:

• A - Guardian/Juggernaut -Tank/DPS
  • B - Sentinel/Marauder - Pure DPS

Changing from A to B suddenly gives you proficiency to use 2 lightsabers after a lifetime of only using one. And you don't know how to protect those around you any longer. Not likely.

Changing from B to A you suddenly lose all knowledge and proficiency for using 2 lightsabers and can only use 1 now. Again not likely.

Consular/Inquisitor:

• A - Shadow/Assassin -Tank/DPS
  • B - Sage/Sorcerer - Healer/DPS

Switching from A to B you suddenly lose your ability to even pick up a double bladed lightsaber. You can't remember how to stealth. You lose almost all knowledge of fighting with a lightsaber, aside from 2 basic attacks. And suddenly have a broader knowledge of the Force and can heal people and manipulate the very elements. Uh, no.

Switching from B to A you suddenly have the knowledge to use a lightsaber, but not any lightsaber, a double bladed lightsaber. You can stealth around now like a ninja - where did that knowledge come from? #Hellno.

I don't think I need to go on with the other 2 Classes. It'd be pretty much the same thing. Changing AC would be a bad idea. Your character is who they are and what they are. You chose their path. Live long and die well.

Remember that no single character can fill all three roles AT ANY TIME, not just at the same time. This was a conscious and deliberate design intent, and a good one, IMO. Allowing class (AC) would negate this design intent.

Was it a conscious design decision? Yes.

Was it a good one? No.

Lots and lots of the original design of the game has been slowly overturned over time. It was a conscious design decision to not provide sprint until level 10 when the game launched. The starter worlds are sized for that. Speeders didn't come until lvl 25, the first few worlds are sized for that.

Now you get speeders at level 1. The starter planets are REALLY small when you have speeders. So be it, people want speeders, so they shall have them.

I quite like Final Fantasy XIV's system, your class changes when you change weapons. A single toon can be everything in the game, but you level each one separately. In many respects, that is a MUCH better design than SWTOR, with a billion alts.

So the more I think about it, the more I'd like each class to be able to fill all three roles. Simply change the discipline system to provide 3 choices, tank, heal, and dps. Then perhaps you don't need AC change, because every AC becomes the same, you just have three choices.

Don't be shocked if that comes in 5.0.

It goes against the design intent of the devs.

You mean the ones no longer here? The ones who launched a game that was rapidly failing and only a quick change of direction saved it.

Those devs?

Who gives a crap what they thought in 2009 when they designed the system, that was then, this is now.

Let's see...

Knight/Warrior:

• A - Guardian/Juggernaut -Tank/DPS
  • B - Sentinel/Marauder - Pure DPS

Changing from A to B suddenly gives you proficiency to use 2 lightsabers after a lifetime of only using one. And you don't know how to protect those around you any longer. Not likely.

Changing from B to A you suddenly lose all knowledge and proficiency for using 2 lightsabers and can only use 1 now. Again not likely.

Yea, that is FAR less likely than figuring out how to change from a Pure Blood Sith to a Togruta. :rolleyes:

Was it a conscious design decision? Yes.

Was it a good one? No.

Lots and lots of the original design of the game has been slowly overturned over time. It was a conscious design decision to not provide sprint until level 10 when the game launched. The starter worlds are sized for that. Speeders didn't come until lvl 25, the first few worlds are sized for that.

Now you get speeders at level 1. The starter planets are REALLY small when you have speeders. So be it, people want speeders, so they shall have them.

I quite like Final Fantasy XIV's system, your class changes when you change weapons. A single toon can be everything in the game, but you level each one separately. In many respects, that is a MUCH better design than SWTOR, with a billion alts.

So the more I think about it, the more I'd like each class to be able to fill all three roles. Simply change the discipline system to provide 3 choices, tank, heal, and dps. Then perhaps you don't need AC change, because every AC becomes the same, you just have three choices.

Don't be shocked if that comes in 5.0.

Don't be shocked if it doesn't.

If you want so much to fill all three roles with any character, or change your class at the drop of a hat, then may I suggest you find a game that suits your desires.

Yea, that is FAR less likely than figuring out how to change from a Pure Blood Sith to a Togruta. :rolleyes:

Let's not lose sight of the fact that in the time this thread has existed, if those too lazy to level that new class they wanted to play had put even half as much effort into leveling that new class, they could have leveled and geared that new class.

Of course, it is far easier to cry and whine on the forums for handouts.

You're talking about cosmetics, not mechanics. There's a huge difference. I have a smuggler that leveled up as a mirialan and I changed her to a twi'lek. It didn't change any mechanics, only her appearance.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that in the time this thread has existed, if those too lazy to level that new class they wanted to play had put even half as much effort into leveling that new class, they could have leveled and geared that new class.

Of course, it is far easier to cry and whine on the forums for handouts.

What in the world happened to cause you to be such a grumpy bum about this?

Really, I'm asking in all seriousness? Do you get paid to be so negative about it? How exactly, post-4.0, do OTHER PEOPLE having fun the way they want to play, hurt you?

You seem to have it out to crush other people's idea of fun, for some reason.

You're talking about cosmetics, not mechanics. There's a huge difference. I have a smuggler that leveled up as a mirialan and I changed her to a twi'lek. It didn't change any mechanics, only her appearance.

*woosh*

The point went flying over your head... I suggest you go back and read your own post, then my reply again, because you completely missed it...

What in the world happened to cause you to be such a grumpy bum about this?

Really, I'm asking in all seriousness? Do you get paid to be so negative about it? How exactly, post-4.0, do OTHER PEOPLE having fun the way they want to play, hurt you?

You seem to have it out to crush other people's idea of fun, for some reason.

If you don't like the rules of the game, then find another game that has rules you do like.

It's not rocket science.

How is suggesting for something I will pay for a handout?

( Also cry and whine, really? it's called the suggestion forum, I made a suggestion.)

Some people think this is a "Complaining forum" sadly. Instead of saying something constructive like "No this would be a bad idea because this would cause X to happen, and that would ruin Y." they usually just try to bash your suggestion with a comment like "No, it works fine the way it is, you're just lazy." "Stop whining about the game, you crybaby".

I just hope EA / BioWare reads the suggestions, because they are the only ones who really needs to read them.

Edited by Wallner

Some people think this is a "Complaining forum" sadly. Instead of saying something constructive like "No this would be a bad idea because this would cause X to happen, and that would ruin Y." they usually just try to bash your suggestion with a comment like "No, it works fine the way it is, you're just lazy." "Stop whining about the game, you crybaby".

I just hope EA / BioWare reads the suggestions, because they are the only ones who really needs to read them.

The "This would be a bad idea because..." has been done ad nauseum, in this and other threads on this topic.

That does not stop the begging for handouts, though.

If you don't like the rules of the game, then find another game that has rules you do like.

It's not rocket science.

Using that logic, the whole suggestion forum should be deleted. Take it exactly as it is, never a change, or go away.

Like I said, you've turned into a grumpy old man. :(

The "This would be a bad idea because..." has been done ad nauseum, in this and other threads on this topic.

Those reasons were all largely invalidated with the launch of 4.0 however. A whole lot of people asked for instant level 60 toons, and a whole lot of people said "that isn't going to happen, it would ruin the game".

Yea, well, here they are...

I'm not really seeing any "begging for handouts." It looks like a lot of supporters of the idea support doing it for CCs, up to and including the amount that an insta 60 toon costs. That means filtering $$ to the game for something that really is pretty trivial.

It may be against the original design intent of the game, but so are a lot of things at this point. I'm sure they probably intended the ACs to be even more exclusive and probably have story factors at one point but budget/time/whatever didn't lead that way.

Might as well make some more $ off the people who are more inclined to stick with their current toon than just roll up a new one for a change that's ultimately inconsequential.

Those of you who say "Just roll a new toon" don't get that that means abandoning the current toon; something the OP doesn't want to do. I take it the OP wants to keep their achievements, their energy credits, their irreplaceable gear and titles, their character name, all that stuff. I take it the OP simply wants to switch up between one Sub Class to the other. They're already 95% of the way there; it's not like we're asking to go from Sniper to Sentinel, here.

And, then the other argument is that "it'll take effort". Well, yea, but so did outfit designer, strongholds, living mounts, and whatever the makeover terminal is called. So, unless you want to specify what exactly you would prefer the devs devote their time to, don't just mindlessly chop down others' ideas.

No one has to "abandon" anything. Even free players can have more than one character per server. It is made very clear (and always has been) that once you choose an advanced class, you are locked in. It is the one choice that has real consequence.

No one has to "abandon" anything. Even free players can have more than one character per server. It is made very clear (and always has been) that once you choose an advanced class, you are locked in. It is the one choice that has real consequence.

QFE

Amen, brother. (Love the sig ;) )

And to add to that:

I have 31 characters across 2 servers. Sure some get shelved for a while, but they're never abandoned. Having that many insures that I can play any role, any class, any AC that I've chosen anytime I want. It doesn't matter that I'm looking at the backside of a different character, carrying a stick or gun. What matters is if I'm having fun.

Not having the ability to AC swap does not diminish the fun. If it does, then you've been playing (and paying for) the wrong game.

And to re-emphasize:

It is made very clear (and always has been) that once you choose an advanced class, you are locked in. It is the one choice that has real consequence.

See? Choices do matter. They do have long term affects. Imagine that! :eek:

Well.

How would them adding the option to choose another AC hurt the game?

I don't see how being able to switch your characters combat technique is a negative thing.

With your whole "Choices matter"-logic, a player shouldn't be able to switch specializations either. I mean, if you chose to play Healer, that's it. Choices matter :d_wink:

Well.

How would them adding the option to choose another AC hurt the game?

I don't see how being able to switch your characters combat technique is a negative thing.

With your whole "Choices matter"-logic, a player shouldn't be able to switch specializations either. I mean, if you chose to play Healer, that's it. Choices matter :d_wink:

Except that you were NOT advised at least 4 separate times by two separate NPC's that your choice of discipline was PERMANENT. You do NOT have to click confirm on the confirmation pop-up that you are choosing the discipline you want and that you understand it cannot be undone.

You DO have to confirm that you understand your choice of class (AC) is PERMANENT and CANNOT be undone, and that you are choosing the class (AC) that you want. You ARE told at least 4 separate times by 2 separate NPC's that your choice of class (AC) is PERMANENT.

How would leaving the choice of class (AC) as PERMANENT hurt the game?

No one is being prevented from playing any class they choose to play. All that is required is that you either level it, or use the instant 60 to create one.

You can still play that powertech if you have a mercenary now. In fact, leveling is so easy and fast now, that you can have that new powertech to 65, and probably pretty well geared, in a weekend.