The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

GSF needs love

Greezt

I understand that it is Accuracy vs Evasion and that there are distance penalties. But in the Tutorial, you come upon an object, you press both buttons down, and the object blows up. In the real zone, you fly towards your target, wait till the thinggies both turn red, indicating that you are in range, press the Wingman ability, switch power to weapons, press down the weapon buttons, and nothing seem to happen, as you follow the red circles, shooting it. I tried shooting at the mines and sensors, and even they do not blow up easily. I have no means to test it in the Tutorial to see if it's my aim, my weapon or if loading up the snowballs would have been more effective.

This is one of the reasoins why the tutorial is so bad : It doesn't even give the slightest hint towards what the Newbie player needs in REAL combat ...

because you know from experience that if they lock they will destroy you in one shot. Because somehow they only need one.

This was my problem with GSF as well : I got one-shotted by Scouts ( I don't mind Gunships, because that's my next-to favourite ship ), and i do know and wonder why they need only so few shots to get me down ? Meanwhile me never hitting them, making no damage, or getting counterattacked ?

This wasn't the balance I was looking for.

Well, I've watched all these videos of the folks doing something there, but the only thing I was contributing to is to the group having eight people. It just doesn't give you the feeling that you are even playing. You are just watching and leaving your team under-numbered.

Flying in a group won't change anything. My pugs have strong pilots, and they win the games all the time.

Exactly my problems ! This was what made me become so bitter about GSF.

And those in the community outright didn't understand my problems. Because they are too good.

One discussion I had left quite an impression on me : http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=785043

I expressed that I could never understand how someone could be happy about being an "easy kill" for a top player - and thank him for that !

And I tried to explain why I just couldn't understand that - in my usual way, full of cynism and bitterness out of frustration at that time - and I got attacked, because I wasn't as positive about some player getting constantly defeated by a top pilot and thanking that top pilot for that like everyone else.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What weapons are you using on the novadive? It can be an extremely frustrating ship to fly under almost any circumstances and can only really be played in a very niche way effectively.

I have Laser Canon and Rocket Pods, for both of which I now have the first 2 skills unlocked in the tree. I only have 3K Fleet commendations, so it will take time to save for the second Scout ship that is considered better. Which does not mean I will do any better on it. I will still to have to fly Blackbolt to accumulate comms to unlock components on the Sting, so I am just updating the Blackbolt. I tried the Mangler once, but the last thing I need is to have my vision obscured.

There are no double premades that I see. Most of it is Imp vs Imp, and folks are going there and back from team to team each pull, so I am pretty sure most of them are pugging with some 4Ms. I was in more winning games than losing ones fwiw.

I don't die a lot. I just don't do much. I try to follow people who score high. I really don't understand how grouping up will help anyone with anything but being carried. I was carried once, by accident, by an over-generous friend through the old non-nerfed ToS (and even then I was healing my little heart out, only fracking up on the UL), and I don't want to ask to be carried. It's not like it's an op and the raid leader will be calling targets and warnings for mechanics on TS.

Edited by DomiSotto

I It's not like it's an op and the raid leader will be calling targets and warnings for mechanics on TS.
Well actually when people fly together and are using voice comm they will call out when their teammate is being targeted by a Gunship so they know to fly evasive. In Death Matches it is common to call out when and where the damage over-charge spawns. Bomber pilots will coordinate dropping their hyperspace beacons so people can get back to the fight faster as well.

That being said, the vast majority of grouping that happens in GSF is for the sole purpose of getting faster queue pops.

I understand that it is Accuracy vs Evasion and that there are distance penalties. But in the Tutorial, you come upon an object, you press both buttons down, and the object blows up. In the real zone, you fly towards your target, wait till the thinggies both turn red, indicating that you are in range, press the Wingman ability, switch power to weapons, press down the weapon buttons, and nothing seem to happen, as you follow the red circles, shooting it. I tried shooting at the mines and sensors, and even they do not blow up easily. I have no means to test it in the Tutorial to see if it's my aim, my weapon or if loading up the snowballs would have been more effective.

I have Laser Canon and Rocket Pods, for both of which I now have the first 2 skills unlocked in the tree.

Try not to shoot at targets that are flying across your screen, or if you do then roll in the direction they are flying keep them centred on your screen to avoid tracking penalties.

I usually find that if you float around your own gunships in a match there will always be a few pilots trying to take them down. Take note of your gunships and when you see someone begin a strafing run against them just settle down behind them and shoot them in the back. They'll either have to break off the attack, get killed by you, or get hit enough that the gunships can kill them in CQC. Remember, assists give as much req as kills, so even if you aren't directly getting kills, you are still earning the same amount of req, you are making it easier for your gunships to survive thus contributing to winning the game.

TBH 20 matches isn't really enough to get into GSF proper. You'll probably need about 50 or so if you can put up with it. Once you hit that threshold, everything kind of clicks and the whole game opens up.

TBH 20 matches isn't really enough to get into GSF proper. You'll probably need about 50 or so if you can put up with it. Once you hit that threshold, everything kind of clicks and the whole game opens up.

Or in my case, 250+.. Even now that I'm well over 1500 matches, my star guard still has the top match count of all my ships. I can't recall what made me see the light, but one day I understood I'm getting nowhere, and swapped...

Nova + Laser Cannon + Distortion + Pods + Concentrated Fire can be a real nightmare. It was the first ship I flew which let me put up somewhat consistent double-digit kill counts. Space was full of people who would try to joust it with strike fighters, or gunships who wouldn't think it was that powerful until they were already dead.

I feel T1 Strike ( Rycer/Starguard) is much more functional "my first ship!" than the T1 Scout (Nova/Blackbolt). Once you get used to range of Strike's Heavy Lasers and pair em with clusters, it suddenly becomes quite good setting for learning the ropes of dog fighting. Also nice training for operating a T2 Scout.

Meanwhile, T1 Scout takes loads of experience to be lethal in. It takes good understanding of game to know the niche roles where it shines.

Edited by Stradlin

Since the Force Awakens was released, quite a number have been inspired by the chase through the wreckage in fast spaceships ( for instance) - Myself included. - So glad to be back in the pilot seat, and playing GSF regularly again . A year off was far too long to leave my pilots heel-kicking in the hangar!

But yeah, add my voice to the list - Give it some love - a new map or two - even if it's still DTM or Dom - and maybe put in a buff for new pilots for the first 10 games or something - so they're not complete cannon fodder. - Or give them double req for the first weekly.

See you out in the black!

Or in my case, 250+.. Even now that I'm well over 1500 matches, my star guard still has the top match count of all my ships. I can't recall what made me see the light, but one day I understood I'm getting nowhere, and swapped...

To quote an old frenemy of mine,

" First I played 1000 matches. Then I began paying attention."

Meanwhile, T1 Scout takes loads of experience to be lethal in. It takes good understanding of game to know the niche roles where it shines.

This is very true. But much as I love the T2 scout. The T1 is my go-to for the maximum fun in Domination.

Nothing beats a quick 1st cap and getting 50,60 or 70 points on the score board before the enemy are even lacing up their pilot's boots! Then with quick engine regen - you can whiz around the map firefighting, and back home to defend the cap.

The T2 is a great GS killer tho'. - top pick for TDM.

Would love some new maps tho' - something dynamic - like slow-moving asteroids- or capital ships with hangars and gun turrets would sort the pilots from the pansies. :D

To quote an old frenemy of mine,

" First I played 1000 matches. Then I began paying attention."

I really believed it was viable... I mean, ion cannon AND heavy lasers? Seems like the perfect combo, and directionals are awesome shields.

Oh well... Maybe one day.

GSF is an amazing game. The only reason why it fell in popularity was because of the lack of TLC. Besides that its still my favorite aspect of the game. Its definitely more heart pumping than warzones, and I love warzones. Its faster, its constant action chasing or being chased or dogfighting or being tricky and slippery, it's just ultra intense.

That being said, there is still so much work that needs to be done. For example we need a way to track team members to defend them and fly better as teams, possibly even in formation. I would also love to see 3d printing of our starfighters. And It would be amazing to see our starfighters as decorations, exactly the way we designed them, with the paint job and all. Make them look lively with the color fumes coming out of the blasters and exhaust. Mmmmmmmmmm, I get all tingly inside just thinking about my starfighter gleaming in front of the double sunset of my Tatooine Starfighter's Lounge Stronghold.

A map that has a boss that is both pvp and pve. So many ideas have been thrown out there, for so long I dont even remember all of the crazy ideas I and many others have previously shared here. One I remember involved the giant worm monsters from Empire Strikes back making things more intensified. Everyone wanted to see GSF and flagships some how brought together. It would at least be nice to see your guildees' starfighters simply fly around the guild's flagship. A gsf pvp map for guilds with flagships, where starfighters would have to win in an initial space pvp battle to be able to invade or defend a flagship in a combined warzone battle that will take place inside an invaded flagship. It would appease conquest participants, gsf pilots, and warzone players all at once! It's just one of those ideas, no one can disagree with. Use that to help advertise the 3-d prints of starfighters and it's a huge money maker, like significantly huge. Throw in some new paint jobs, a new starfighter cartel pack and forget about it.

I can sit here all day with endless ideas for GSF. You may even want to hit me up me and fly me up to Austin to coordinate the effort to bring this all together. I got ideas that will allow Jeff Hickman to buy a new mega yaught and I don't even know how to spell that!

But at the end of the day, you cannot fix "The learning curve is too steep and the vets are too good, thus it's too late for newbs to get into it other than as fodder."

This is the case when the pops are low, I can not deny that. But by giving GSF more TLC and focus, it will bring in many more new players which will balance out the problem you noted. This is exactly the case for warzones too by the way, only that warzones is tended to more, so they keep players playing it, making it pop more allowing new players to gear up faster. But as long as GSF is not tended to it wont have as many pops making it very, very hard for new players or new alts to get a mastered starfighter. You cant update your components without being able to play if there are no pops or very few pops. This is pretty much the main reason why we have been begging for this.

Also it would be cool if we could move requisition around without cartel coins like we can with warzone coms. It would mean they would lose money from the cartel market, but the pops are so low, they aren't making a significant amount of money to justify to keep it that way. It would make more revenue if they just allowed players to move requisition around to master more starfighters to keep them playing, thus increasing interest in using cartel coins for other starfighter items, thus making more money in the long run.

People blame EA, saying all they think about is money. But they don't appear to be thinking about it enough. And I'm not even a capitalist. Go figure.

Edited by HiddenPalm

so glad to see so much support for GSF!

My brother and I have within the last few months started getting into this again and we are having more fun playing GSF than any other part of the game currently. We used to play it a lot when it came out but our server population died down (we are on Bergeren Colony). We wanted to get back into GSF again after having a ton of fun getting some matches on our server one night with our old upgraded ships.

The games were just to far in between to have nights dedicated to playing just GSF when our regular PvP population on Bergeren is much higher and you can always get matches with that all night. We decided to branch out to other servers and made brand new characters on Harbinger whose sole purpose is purely to play GSF. We ar both in our level 50's after doing nothing but GSF with our characters and its been a blast playing GSF on a server with such a big GSF community. I think there are a lot of people trying out GSF again like myself and its good to see because this is a underused part of the game and it has so much in it! it will take a long time to upgrade all the ships we have but its fun to level them up and tweak their loadouts for certain matchups. Gunships are still annoying....but at least if people are running lots of scouts they aren't as bad a issue, although going against a coordinated group of 3 or more gunships is a nightmare to deal with unless you all attack as a group at once, otherwise they just pick off individual attackers like nothing.

GSF needs some more love BW! I think there is enough interest to justify maybe some new ships and maybe a new map down the line. Doesn't have to be this year, but it would be nice to see this aspect of the game get some attention. I love GSF and i would love to see more made for it!