Gear Rewards from Eternal Championship

EricMusco

Hey folks,

One of the things Ben mentioned on the live stream, is that the dev team is looking to get some feedback regarding rewards from the Eternal Championship. Currently there are weekly quests for defeating 5, 7, and 10 encounters. Here is what Ben was looking for:

• What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 5 encounters?
  • What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 7 encounters?
  • What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 10 encounters?

Feel free to answer by comparison (this should drop gear similar to a HM Flashpoint) or in Item Rating.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

I'd stay away from actual group PvE type of loot rewards.

• What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 5 encounters? A pack of 5x level 6 companion gifts
  • What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 7 encounters? Choice of a small (like 4-6, non-Operation related) top tier crafting mats.
  • What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 10 encounters? AC compatible choice of Legacy Offhand Shells.

Edited by ekwalizer

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tier 3 220 the actual upgrade to a solo players gear.

I'd still keep 204 armoring and low endurance 208 enhancement. 220 mod would indeed be upgrade but if you start to do SM ops you'll get 216 unlettered mods soon enough.

I'd stay away from actual group PvE type of loot rewards.

• What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 5 encounters? A pack of 5x level 6 companion gifts
  • What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 7 encounters? Choice of a small (like 4-6, non-Operation related) top tier crafting mats.
  • What level of gear should be rewarded for clearing 10 encounters? AC compatible choice of Legacy Offhand Shells.

If these are final rewards then there would be no reason for me and many others to do it.

- We already have way too many Common data crystals -> gifts

- We already have multiple alts with gathering skills

- Gree event has legacy bound offhands and they are cheap

Edited by Halinalle

With the focus of this game being single player, solo story content. And with the apparent majority not wanting to have anything to do group content, as has been constantly argued for on the forums for the past three months. And finally, with level sync in place, why would gear even be considered a factor in determining awards except for strictly cosmetic purposes?

I don't think raid gear should be rewarded. I mean, it's solo content, it won't be as hard as group content (I know SM ops are faceroll, but I have yet to see solo content harder than SM ops). And as I was reading through the thread, I noticed some solo players asking for gear upgrade. Assuming they're wearing crapping crystal 208/216 gear, why not give 208 optimized set bonus gear as a reward ? I mean, solo player don't do group content so they don't pvp thus they don't have 204/208 pvp gear and since back then entry level set bonus gear was available for comms, why not reward it for the eternal championship ? I'm a raider, but I wouldn't mind some of my obscure alts I nerver play to be geared in 208 optimized set gear in case I need them for whatever reason.

5 Encounters = 216 Non-Set Gear

7 Encounters = 216 Set Gear

10 Encounters = 220 Non-Set Gear, Main hands and Off hands.

For all of the people complaining about giving out op/raid gear for solo content, get over yourselves already. If you want "exclusive" stuff, go run NiM Ops. But there is no reason why 220 and lower gear shouldn't be made more easily available at this point.

Edited by Nonumbersfails

5 Encounters = 216 Non-Set Gear

7 Encounters = 216 Set Gear

10 Encounters = 220 Non-Set Gear, Main hands and Off hands.

For all of the people complaining about giving out op/raid gear for solo content, get over yourselves already. If you want "exclusive" stuff, go run NiM Ops. But there is no reason why 220 and lower gear shouldn't be made more easily available at this point.

Exhibit A of the new target audience. Wants end game gear, but doesn't want to put in the end game effort for it to do face roll solo content that doesn't require it.

Hey folks,

One of the things Ben mentioned on the live stream, is that the dev team is looking to get some feedback regarding rewards from the Eternal Championship. Currently there are weekly quests for defeating 5, 7, and 10 encounters. Here is what Ben was looking for:

Feel free to answer by comparison (this should drop gear similar to a HM Flashpoint) or in Item Rating.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

I like the idea of this thing.

However I don't think it's appropriate to be giving out top level gear for something that is going to be a solo event. I also think giving out anything less is absolutely inappropriate because this game throws that stuff at you at every turn.

So, if you give out any level of gear you're making a mistake, because one way there will be absolutely no incentive and the other way you are giving something that should remain top level gear content (IE: groups of some kind).

I also think giving out things like mounts or companions or BoL gear has been done and would get pretty old, if it was the only thing available.

So where does that leave us? How about something unique for once. Like letting us make our own colour crystal with any colours we chose? Or Cartel Market certificates and rep? or we get a map that tells us where to go to get these things. Something special.

If you have your minds set on giving out gear how about just a legendary top level empty personalised piece of gear? If there is going to be no more group content we have to get that stuff somehow. By empty I mean no mods or anything in it.

So for 5: A cartel certificate.

7: A customisable crystal. Non white to prevent rich people tears.

10: Legendary amazing looking dark purple gear with some special power. Non BoL and also every slot available to give it some replayability.

Exhibit A of the new target audience. Wants end game gear, but doesn't want to put in the end game effort for it to do face roll solo content that doesn't require it.

Exhibit A of the elitist crowd that is incapable of growing with the times. Not that you care about facts, but I'm a founder. Pre Ordered the Deluxe Edition way back when, and in addition to all of that experience, I' was a hardcore raider in WoW for 7 years.

I've put in the work, over and over and over again I've put in the work. What I shouldn't have to do is invest dozens of hours on each character for middle tier gear from content that is 3+ years old. As I already said, NiM is there for people who want exclusivity. Leave it as the only way to get the best gear and things like unique mounts like the Wings of the Architect.

All I suggested was rewarding 216 set pieces and 220 non-set pieces and weapons from the new content they are releasing. The 220 non-set pieces are already farmable via solo content, so what "effort" is being avoided exactly? Running the toxic cesspool that is group finder Ops just for 216 set bonuses?

Heck, my suggestion doesn't even reward 220 set pieces, so that leaves HM as well as NiM for the top gear. People will still have to run HM's before they can run NiM ops. So they'll still have to put in that work and really learn the fights for the top content. Which is, again, so outdated its ridiculous.

As for the "target audience" you are referring to in your stuck up and deeming post, yeah, casual is the new normal. Gone are the days where people play MMO's to the point of losing their jobs or flunking out of school. SWTOR would have been shut down a long time ago if it wasn't for that new audience keeping it alive. Much like other long in the tooth MMOs, like WoW, the elitists crowd is by far the minority of the player base in SWTOR.

Hey folks,

10 data, 5 radiant crystals + 4 alliance boxes, 1 rank 6 companion gift
    optimized 216 non modable Mainhand weapon token + stronghold decoration
    216 non-modable set piece token
    Have the weekly mission reward a random story mode token, Mainhand/offhand excluded

Thanks everyone.

-eric

This would motivate non-op running players to atleast try and progress on their own, the non-modable gear would be like the craftable 208 pieces with 216 stats and set bonuses (Stat wise, MK-4). Have a Eternal Championship token NPC outside the entrance to trade in the gear for.

This way, you don't destroy the few remaining guilds and keep progression into operations without making the content obsolete, people would be able to get set bonuses but not on par with the current operation gear.

Have the boss 10 difficulty be on par with the star fortress H2 bosses with some harder mechanics.

Toss in some achievements on the side like the "one and only" achievement for the star fortress.

If not, have it drop eternal championship tokens (like rakghoul,gree,BBA events) that can be traded in for the same rewards as above. 10 tokens a piece or something, you'll figure it out, add two mounts and some stronghold decorations to keep people interested after they got their armor pieces.

That's my two cents!

Eric,

I would ask that the first 5 encounters should get 208 gear, since running tacticals to get the same is pretty easy.

After 7 enconters possibly 216?

Then 10, 220 gear.

This can be used as a fast way to clear out the story mode operations if you're good enough to take off the training wheels, no need to continue on right?

With that being said, the last encounters need to be hard-mode level though.

It would be amazing to see huge difficult encounters instead of the usual face roll content of class story.

Edited by JadenVaska

I'm a solo player but I'm also a no-lifer and truly dedicated (I play this game way too much). When I started, I sucked so bad and I knew nothing but 8 months later and I'm soloing star fortresses in 208 comms gear and loving the challenge (if not the repetitiveness) but not the rewards. I also played before super companions so I'm not over-estimating my own worth.

I've put in just as many hours to get good at this game as any group player and it annoys me that so much of the content (and rewards) are locked away behind group content. I work hard and pay my sub so why am I any less deserving of the best rewards the game provides.

I don't care how difficult you make Boss 10, if it can be solo'd (i.e.no group mechanics) then I will do it and when I do, I hope at the very least for 216 moddable set bonus gear and end game crafting mats (dark matter catalysts/exotic isotope) to drop (or have a chance of dropping).

Anything less is stupid easy to obtain. If you take all the common data crystals in the story chapters you have enough to gear up in 208 gear before you even start KOFTE. If you want to farm the Heroics like a crazy person, you can even gear up to 216.

I have three cybertechs, 2 each of artifice/armstech/biochem at 500 hundred but I can't craft endgame gear to make money unless I run all this grouped content on a regular basis.

And before anyone asks why I just don't group, it's for a number of reasons but the main reason is I don't want anyone else relying on me to enjoy their game or get the rewards they were hoping for. Also, a few bad eggs really put me off PUGs. Still doesn't mean that i shouldn't have access to the same rewards of AT LEAST SM ops when I'm willing to put the work in and reach the necessary skill level.

Edited by ForjKlahaa

This would motivate non-op running players to atleast try and progress on their own, the non-modable gear would be like the craftable 208 pieces with 216 stats and set bonuses (Stat wise, MK-4). Have a Eternal Championship token NPC outside the entrance to trade in the gear for.

This way, you don't destroy the few remaining guilds and keep progression into operations without making the content obsolete, people would be able to get set bonuses but not on par with the current operation gear.

Hate to break it to you, but there is little point in progression for any solo player with Level Sync in the game. Most of my toons I have bothered with are running around in 208 PvP gear, because "set bonus" and anything more isn't required with the faceroll solo content.

I've seen little reason to bother with OPs I've run countless times, flashpoints are no longer required for gear progression to actually go into OPs (unlike years ago). In essence, gear progression has all but been eliminated with the introduction of Level Sync and bolster in OPs.

Eternal Championship doesn't need to drop any gear, with any type of mods, with any set bonus. Unique shells that are AC specific would be a nice feature (not BoL otherwise there is no incentive to run alts through). Equally 208 / 216 Mainhands wouldn't go amiss, as that gives another route for players who don't run OPs or Flashpoints to get those items (and it's been repeatedly requested these become available to non-raiders / group players).

However, having non-moddable set bonus gear wouldn't go amiss for players that may want a quicker route to gear to go into operations. It isn't required though, not anymore. Not by a long shot.

This is my third time rewriting this to make it shorter, cave man style this time. Hard mode raid = exclusive decos, mounts, and mats. Loot once to keep, loot again to sell for enormous prices that solo players willing to farm credits for to make you rich. Complain less on gear and enjoy exclusives or the millions you make from said loot.

After all if everyone raided exclusives become less rare and = less credits for you raiders and we all end up in same gear anyway. No one wins if everyone raids, no one wins if this drops less than 216 and 220. Were all going to end up in the same gear eventually whether from this arena or some update after the difference will be set bonuses not that solo players will care about those anyway. Hopefully when they add five new levels and a new raid they'll make the new raid gear leagues above the solo gear that way as they add updates they can increase solo players gear rating without encroaching on the raiders precious group content rated gear. Still longer than I wanted but I'm not trying fourth time.

except thats NOT what happens. instead people go "ohh that looks awesome... ohh I need to do super duper mdoe raids? crap guess I ain't getting it" the type of people who raid strictly for what gear looks like, aren't the type of people the elitists wanna see in raids anyway

Revelation: Thankfully not all guilds that do ops, even for the gear look are Elitists.

The gear reward should be of a higher rating, than is recommended for the particular mission

Thank you for saying that. You, me, and my brother seem to be part of a small group thinking reward should be higher than whats needed. And don't no one say that's not true, all the people wanting hard content requiring high rating gear and then like 208 reward 216 tops, because higher gear goes into group content gear is just ridiculous. They either already have higher than 216 gear and don't want others to have it or just I don't know want less out of life?

Don't get me wrong I would enjoy content I can't beat right away, that I"m under geared for or whatever, but it has to give gear worth it. My replies are getting more angry and less coherent as this goes on but hey this thread is bringing something out of me that I'm interested in seeing what will become.

Eternal Championship doesn't need to drop any gear, with any type of mods, with any set bonus. Unique shells that are AC specific would be a nice feature (not BoL otherwise there is no incentive to run alts through).

This. My first post in this thread laid out how I would structure the rewards if there was no weekly quest and the event was actually challenging. Since we all know that it will not be challenging at all because story, I will amend my earlier post.

• Round 1 - Loot bag (data crystals, some cash, grey "flavor item" to vendor( [Cracked Mandalorian Visor] or [Clump of Wookiee Hair] for example) chance at 1 of 4 unique pets, rep token)
  • Round 2 - Loot box (Wrist or Waist piece, some cash)
  • Round 3 - Loot bag (see above)
  • Round 4 - Loot box (Hands or Feet, some cash)
  • Round 5 - Loot bag, title
  • Round 6 - Loot box (chest or legs, some cash)
  • Round 7 - Loot bag
  • Round 8 - Loot box (head, chance at unique mount (not the same as round 10 mount))
  • Round 9 - loot bag
  • Round 10 - title, unique mount, unique weapon

This gear set should be epic with particle effects and all that made the old top-tier gear really desirable. It should look super cool and be appropriate for the class it is meant for ie NO CAPES ON BOUNTY HUNTERS and stuff like that. cough Traditional hooded Jedi robes for knights cough The weapons should rival anything the CM gambling boxes have given us and make players go "OMG MUST HAVE GIB NAO!" when they see them. I would also add a rep vendor with some stronghold stuff, a couple of dyes and a set of legacy shells you can buy as you gain rep.

Make this thing special even if it will be faceroll easy. If it is meant to be repeatable instead of a singular challenge for each toon, give us reasons to repeat it.

Do you mean the ones from original trilogy? Did those even exist during Old Republic era?

It's a bone for that one guy who has been begging for hooded robes since release. But, yes they did. Characters in the cinematics are wearing them. Well, they are more like cloaks but they have hoods.

Robes with hoods, that's all my jedi knight had for a while before they gave me armor with a hood which is dumb looking. Armor plus cape pretty cool but is too much like sith warrior, so they give jedi knight armor with random hood because even in armor head must be covered. I would like for my jedi knight is armor with no hood so I can see the cartel coin hair style I got for him.

Why not make it the same as Star Fortress? In case of comparable difficulty, of course. In fact, everything depends of the difficulty in comparison to other solo activities we already have in the game.

Still, something specific - armor sets and weapon with unique look, traditional reputation scale with rewards from vendors for tokens also loot-able\obtainable from EC - something like this, like other events we have now.

What if the rewards are a new unique commendation/crystal, so the further you get, the most you are awarded, lets say:

Round 1: 1 Token

Round 2: 2 Token

Round 3: 5 Token

Round 4: 7 Token

Round 5: 10 Token

Round 6: 13 Token

Round 7: 20 Token

Round 8: 25 Token

Round 9: 30 Token

Round 10: 50 Token

And then, you have a vendor with a wide arraw of goods, crafting bags, gear, decos, etc... at different prices according items level, as an example:

208 gear: 20-50 tokens

216 gear: 100 - 140 tokens

220 gear: 200 - 240 tokens

also, in fights 5, 7, 10 you can give a special box which can give unique decos, pets, mounts or even shell gear.

that way, people can buy what they are most interested in, and with new patches, the vendor items can be upgraded.

Regards.