One upside/downside to level sync (regarding gear for alts)

TX_Angel

Tonight I started playing one of my rarely used alts, a Sentinel, that hasn't been touched since before 4.0.

This alt was left in 186 basic comms gear with 186 augments mostly, with some 178 blues (relics, ears/implants) that aren't augmented.

I went to do a round of dailies and heroics, and got to lvl 65 fast enough. Then I went to fleet to spend my common data crystals to gear up to 208, and a thought occoured to me...

I'm never going to use this toon in ops, or HM FP... the only use might be occasional heroics for alliance boxes, maybe a daily area every now and then. So exactly why bother spending anything to gear this toon up?

186 gear and 208 gear give EXACTLY the same stats when level synced below lvl 60. So what is the point of gear for alts that won't do lvl 65 content?

---

My point is simply that while level sync DOES make lower level content relevent for lvl 65 toons, it does remove some of the reason to bother with gear. With no need to gear them all, it removes a lot of end game play for those toons.

Before 4.0, I paid attention to gear on all my alts, ran the dailies and weeklies for comms, and so fourth. Now? I only do it on my few mains.

Really, one could make a set or two of legacy suits and be done with a large portion of grinding for all your alts. KOTFE struck a huge blow to the carrot/stick motivation.

I've already done this. I just got the class legacy ones and plugged them all with 216/220 mods and I just move the gear pieces around depending on what I want to play. I have two mains and mainly just use alts to feed my mains with companion gifts. There really isn't any replay-ability anymore. It's a one and done it single player adventure.

I've already done this. I just got the class legacy ones and plugged them all with 216/220 mods and I just move the gear pieces around depending on what I want to play. I have two mains and mainly just use alts to feed my mains with companion gifts. There really isn't any replay-ability anymore. It's a one and done it single player adventure.

This is exactly why I try to lie to myself by keeping my time focused on the GTN game, secretly hoping they will bring back more content with the older mmo structure models just so we have something to do again.

Edited by Holocron

Really, one could make a set or two of legacy suits and be done with a large portion of grinding for all your alts. KOTFE struck a huge blow to the carrot/stick motivation.

That is of course true... I thought about it, legacy gear is around in spades and thanks to appearance designer, it no longer matters what it looks like...

Of course, the trick is to remember to take it off and move it to an alt, but yea, I probably should make one set for my lesser used alts.

Then again, why bother when the 186 (and 190 stuff that drops freely in the game from everything at lvl 60-65) is plenty for anything but end game?

LS sucks, period.

....exclamation, exclamation.

While I 95% agree with you, I also know that we'd never get the rewards from heroics scaled to your level without it.

It would be nice if it were optional. Turn it off, the rewards go away. Turn it on, the rewards appear.

This is exactly why I try to lie to myself by keeping my time focused on the GTN game, secretly hoping they will bring back more content with the older mmo structure models just so we have something to do again.

I don't blame you. I was thinking about dusting off my jugg and going back to soloing hard modes since it's really the only challenge left anymore. I don't know though .. I really don't feel like grinding out a tank set.

Edited by Skaara

I don't blame you. I was thinking about dusting off my jugg and going back to soloing hard modes since it's really the only challenge left anymore. I don't know though .. I really don't feel like grinding out a tank set.

At least it will help you burn time until something happens. I've been using the GTN, Collections, PVP, decoing as a good filler to help stave off boredom from the same old fp's/ops/h2+/dalies, but man do I hope they add a bunch of stuff soon.

Edited by Holocron

186 gear and 208 gear give EXACTLY the same stats when level synced below lvl 60. So what is the point of gear for alts that won't do lvl 65 content?

I want to just point out that this is NOT CORRECT statement.

While mastery, endurance and power are capped. All other stats are not. Just make a look. You will keep your accuracy, alacrity, critical, defense, absorb and shield same when ever you are in 65lvl or 15lvl area, making you killing mobs faster or surviving a longer,

Edited by ShawDou

Not only do 186 and 208 gear have the same mastery, endurance, and power, but so do empty armor shells. Yes, crit, alacrity, and accuracy will stay the same, but those are mostly irrelevant while fighting low level mobs. Also, the lower gear will have lower repair costs.

Your best gear when going on a round of level synched heroics is to use two presence relics from the THORN vendor and a presence stim.

That's why I hate level synch: it removes any sense of accomplishment from improving your character.

Not only do 186 and 208 gear have the same mastery, endurance, and power, but so do empty armor shells. Yes, crit, alacrity, and accuracy will stay the same, but those are mostly irrelevant while fighting low level mobs. Also, the lower gear will have lower repair costs.

Your best gear when going on a round of level synched heroics is to use two presence relics from the THORN vendor and a presence stim.

That's why I hate level synch: it removes any sense of accomplishment from improving your character.

Ohh i see now, so if you have more alacrity, you dont attack faster, if you have mode defense stats you dont get lover hits from mobs. I might have been using my stats completely wrong. ;)

For me it feels wrong if elite mob die with single hit from you. No matter what level he is.

Yup. I was old school in thinking that gear rating might matter, but only companion affection seems to make much difference out in the world. So now I'd only gear 1 character instead of 20, just in case something challenging comes along in future. - So level-synch challenge level aside, this has cut PvE gear grind to almost zero. - Yay!

If you're queued for WZ, it's nice to quest in your PvP gear, and not have to nip into a phone booth to change clothes.

If only I could stamp a cape and a chest-piece with a big 'S' on the front using appearance designer!

At least it will help you burn time until something happens. I've been using the GTN, Collections, PVP, decoing as a good filler to help stave off boredom from the same old fp's/ops/h2+/dalies, but man do I hope they add a bunch of stuff soon.

I've been chewing out the last of the achievements... I'm starting to run short of them however...

Some of them have to be skipped, they are just not reasonable to hit, such as the planet PvP ones that are "kill 1,000 other players". Since I'm not on a PvP server, the only real way to do it would be to get a friend and trade kills. If it were 100, I'd do it, but 1,000? That's nuts.

Beyond that, there isn't much else to do. I'm getting close to the 50,000 kills in PvP. I have some of the ship achievements in GSF, need to work on those as well.

I don't need to play the GTN anymore, I am beyond wealthy in the game. So there isn't much else to do.

I might try soloing some of the easier HM FP, such as Black Talon, to knock out the achievements for those. I have 100% of the achievements for all tactical FP, so I don't bother running them anymore.

I want to just point out that this is NOT CORRECT statement.

While mastery, endurance and power are capped. All other stats are not. Just make a look. You will keep your accuracy, alacrity, critical, defense, absorb and shield same when ever you are in 65lvl or 15lvl area, making you killing mobs faster or surviving a longer,

While that is true, the difference isn't enough to justify swapping out 186 comms gear with 208 common data crystal gear.

Note, my OP was not intended to say that staying at some low level of gear made sense, I'm not suggesting keeping 76, 112, or 148 gear around... I'm saying that if you were geared prior to 4.0 in 186 or better, the new stuff doesn't make any real difference, in any location that you're level synced in.

Ohh i see now, so if you have more alacrity, you dont attack faster, if you have mode defense stats you dont get lover hits from mobs. I might have been using my stats completely wrong. ;)

Oh sure... you will attack faster...

Tell me, what is the alacrity difference between a 186 head piece and a 208 head piece? Would you notice it when fighting lvl 25 enemies on a lvl 65 synced toon?

On truly low-level H2+ mobs, like the savrips on Ord Mantell, I can see the difference between 190, 208, and the unholy mix of 208, 216, and 220 with 208 augments on everything but my relics that I have now. Every time I upped the weight of the gear, they died a little faster. If I keep it up, I may even get them back to dying in a single basic attack once more. It's pretty close.

(And no, I'm not an Ops expert. I've been in exactly two, and they were runs that earned my *guild* a place on the Weird People thread, where we lost very, very badly. I've built this gear up solely through Data Crystals and crafting for the augments, except for a 220 barrel from the GTN.)

On truly low-level H2+ mobs, like the savrips on Ord Mantell, I can see the difference between 190, 208, and the unholy mix of 208, 216, and 220 with 208 augments on everything but my relics that I have now. Every time I upped the weight of the gear, they died a little faster. If I keep it up, I may even get them back to dying in a single basic attack once more. It's pretty close.

Fair enough...

The next question is... is it worth the credits, crystals, and time to gear up 20 alts into 208/216/220 gear to run those low level H2+ missions?

If you say yes, well, fair enough, I'll respect that. I personally think it is a waste of time... *for me*

I just ran Ziost tonight on the Sent in my OP, again in 186/192 gear with 186 augments. I did swap out the 186 armorings/mods/etc. for the 190 blues as I got them, my stats didn't change. So the level 62 sync for Ziost doesn't allow an increase from 186 armoring/mod to 190 to have any effect.

Or maybe it would if I didn't have augments, perhaps the health and mastery are hard caps, it was 56k and change health. Even when I dropped 200 ear/implants on from the Ziost vendor, nothing changed (and my 186 ear/implants were not augmented).

I noticed a FAR bigger change switching from a rank 30 companion to a rank 10 companion. I finished getting Doc his 1,000 kills, he was rank 30, so mid way through Ziost, I switched to Scourge, who is rank 10. That made far more difference in combat. Still wasn't remotely hard, but I could tell he wasn't as effective.

I mentioned the super-low H2s because that's where I've done the most work. But it's everywhere I go - each time I up my gear, it gets a little easier. (Silly things like having unbounded amounts of crit rating, so the crit chance goes up and up, and the crit damage bonus goes up and up.)

And yes, I've noticed the same thing about the companions, which tended to make me nervous doing the Shield Bunker missions.

You don't even need gear if you're level 65 for most solo content. Just 1-2 empty shell for MH and OH if needed and you're good to go for everything, but Yavin dailies. For sm ops and almost every HM FP, a good player can do it in whatever gear you got if you got all the gear slot filled and you got a shield generator if you're a tank. Only a few HM FP would require the dps or heal to be geared and those are the ones that people try to avoid like Blood Hunt.

Did some sm ops in level 31 gear and was parsing around 3.5k every fight on a level 53 to 55 toon in DF.

I did all the heroics and Ziost on a naked gunslinger with relics, implants and earpiece and 2 empty blaster with an healing companion. Yavin is probably doable too, but didn't want to waste my time grinding it naked

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.