Sentinel is not broken. You are.

nbuskirk

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sents are so broken beyond reason, anyone who says they aren't must be trolling or pulling an okie doke because they want them to stay gimped. I kick azz on my 50 combat sent but it's still a broken and weak dps class. Concealment operatives at 50, now that's some '3 shot a tank in 3 seconds' op class imbalance.

Honestly it isn't really the class that annoys me rather than the play style. I find myself thinking more about what i can do (cooldowns) rather than what's best to do in a particular situation. That feels so wrong.

then play something else, the playstyle should not be changed just for you

I am a lvl 48 sentinel and i have 1k mercenary points and 1k warzone points. I can tell you that sentinel is pretty hard to play compared to the other classes. when you are close you have to be right on the person to get your zealous strike off or else it just shows the animation of your guy trying to do it but failing, at 46 you get dispatch which is a beast ability but too bad its bugged so if the person is below 20% it might not register it and you cant use the attack >.< you shouldn't have to pop all your defensive cooldowns just for one kill, although i have seen a sith marauder do crazy in pvp every game but he had full pvp gear and a healer following him. i think the sentinels need another cc ability compared to the other classes sentinels are lacking keeping a player from running away, and yes i realize your have leg slash but still.... Also i must say that leveling was a ***** for combat spec i usually die if there's two or more strong enemies attacking me with using doc as my companion. Just to clarify im not a clicker i don't click on anything but my buffs and i would say im pretty skilled as i get around top 3 in damage every warzone.

I am a lvl 48 sentinel and i have 1k mercenary points and 1k warzone points. I can tell you that sentinel is pretty hard to play compared to the other classes. when you are close you have to be right on the person to get your zealous strike off or else it just shows the animation of your guy trying to do it but failing, at 46 you get dispatch which is a beast ability but too bad its bugged so if the person is below 20% it might not register it and you cant use the attack >.< you shouldn't have to pop all your defensive cooldowns just for one kill, although i have seen a sith marauder do crazy in pvp every game but he had full pvp gear and a healer following him. i think the sentinels need another cc ability compared to the other classes sentinels are lacking keeping a player from running away, and yes i realize your have leg slash but still.... Also i must say that leveling was a ***** for combat spec i usually die if there's two or more strong enemies attacking me with using doc as my companion. Just to clarify im not a clicker i don't click on anything but my buffs and i would say im pretty skilled as i get around top 3 in damage every warzone.

Hey, I just wanted to add something to this pvp discussion real quick.. Lealz, Did you realize (I'm not trying to instigate anything here) that the watchmen tree seems to be more for pvp?

You get a 100% damage resistance talent for a few seconds, you also add the ability to have cauterize slow the enemy which seems invaluable in tandem with leg strike. 2 slows, 2-3 interrupts, (Statis/kick/vanish). I also utilize vanish/sneak/whatever it is to also dodge a strong attack. This works in pvp or pve, if i see someone casting something nasty, and I dont have an interrupt up, i will basically vanish it off (Stealth, and they need to retarget/recast) seems to confuse people.

I just also want to add an addendum to my original post i realized I should've written this up front-- I absolutely DO NOT ENGAGE IN PVP. This thread was not meant for discussion about sentinel in PVP, this is basically leveling information, and PVE guidance only.

PVP is a whole nother' can of worms that I can't really comment on right now.

Also, I still can't find a skill/talent calculator that mirrors the in-game talents. It seems like all of them i've been looking at are out of date.

People that asked about spec-

I went up watchmen to the talent that grants slash a 33% chance to reset the CD on cauterize. Then, I went up tier 2 in combat, to get 3/3 combat accuracy, and stopped there.

So basically everything in watchmen, minus the top tiers (I plan on respeccing later to see if the burn damage % increase at top tier in watchmen outdoes the accuracy buff and offhand damage, i somehow doubt it will).

As a level 35 watchman, I see a lot of other Sentinels running around on my server at 5 to 6 levels above me with less strength on their gear than I have. It's sad.

I have a guildmate who is playing sent who is having all kinds of issues that I am not having at all. He talks about abilities not going off, cooldowns not working, etc. I don't experience any of this. I'm not very good at PvP and I can pull competitive damage and sometimes top damage. My companions rarely die. I'm still using Kira. I've finished off flashpoint bosses when the rest of the party has died. It's a strong class from what I've seen so far, and I'm loving it.

Hey, I just wanted to add something to this pvp discussion real quick.. Lealz, Did you realize (I'm not trying to instigate anything here) that the watchmen tree seems to be more for pvp?

You get a 100% damage resistance talent for a few seconds, you also add the ability to have cauterize slow the enemy which seems invaluable in tandem with leg strike. 2 slows, 2-3 interrupts, (Statis/kick/vanish). I also utilize vanish/sneak/whatever it is to also dodge a strong attack. This works in pvp or pve, if i see someone casting something nasty, and I dont have an interrupt up, i will basically vanish it off (Stealth, and they need to retarget/recast) seems to confuse people.

I just also want to add an addendum to my original post i realized I should've written this up front-- I absolutely DO NOT ENGAGE IN PVP. This thread was not meant for discussion about sentinel in PVP, this is basically leveling information, and PVE guidance only.

PVP is a whole nother' can of worms that I can't really comment on right now.

honestly, all 3 trees have serious pvp talents.

Focus:

force crush. highest burst. +trancendance. 7% damage reduct. 45s cd guarded by the force. Zleap. shorter cd on stasis. 1 focus leg slash. heal on cc break.

Focus is about all around utility. you have damage reduc, you have a fairly big heal(not as much total as watchman, but it is instantly 10%) Massive aoe burst. NASTY damage/slow in force crush.

1v1's extremely well, where stasis cant be interrupted. and sweep 1 shots companions practically. Also, freaking amazing in group pvp with massive aoe as well.

Combat:

root on crippling throw(amazing), cc break on camo(2 cc breaks), ms root(if it works)

combat is about sustained dps. And has 2 cc breaks, and 2 roots, to make sure you can stay on your target. It shines most in organized pvp where, the roots are also your teams dps on target.

Watchman:

heals. more heals. 0 range leap=interruptx2. shorter cd on kick. centeringx2, merc slash burst, damage immunity force camo, cauterize snare.

Watchman is heals, and aoe heals. Interruption. All around being a giant pita.

Great in 1v1 and organized. massive healing disruption. gets centering up fast for zen aoe healing, or transcendence aoe damage resist/+speed

Edited by MBirkhofer

Here's another thing: use your interrupts.

I've been watching youtubes of flashpoint runs and it's making my head hurt seeing so many enemy abilities go off without an interrupt. There's a sentinel in the group, so I know there's at least one interrupt.

Those Sith harrowers? Or Sith war apprentices? Super easy with interrupts.

I grouped for a Heroic 4 the other day with a Guardian, Sage and Shadow and at the end of it one of them commented that they were awed with the buckets of damage I was pouring out.

I'm a 25 Watchman and I'll admit, up until this past weekend I sucked. But it was because I didn't know what I was doing with my skills. After reading the forums here, I improved my skill use and now my Sentinel rips mobs up.

I'll readily admit I'm terrible about utilizing Force Kick, but even still I usually don't need to rely too heavily on it or Rebuke or Saber Ward. I make sure to keep my gear up to date and keep Kira properly equipped too. But then it's just a simple game of making sure I keep Overload Saber and Cauterize going.

Typically by the time I go with Force Jump - Overload Saber - Zealous Strike - Cauterize - Master Strike, Elites are dead and Champions are well on the way to being dead.

But I totally agree. Sentinel requires more finesse than I originally thought. Just reading over the forums and getting some tips on HOW to use my skills has taken me from struggling to crushing.

Glad to hear it's working out for you Steve. Sentinel is a blast. Now, work your interrupts in and groups will love you - and you'll be in a good place for higher level mobs as you quest later on.

Remember to keybind all of your stuff also. Here is a screenshot of me and my hotbars on the bottom there, every single thing i use is keybound, can look at mine as an example if you want but to each their own here :/

Killahjedi + Keybindings Screenshot

Here's another thing: use your interrupts.

I've been watching youtubes of flashpoint runs and it's making my head hurt seeing so many enemy abilities go off without an interrupt. There's a sentinel in the group, so I know there's at least one interrupt.

Those Sith harrowers? Or Sith war apprentices? Super easy with interrupts.

This. Is. Amazing. This isnt wow for the ppl who are coming over, you cant just steamroll stuff without trying. You have to use CDs and interrupts. I made lvl 50 and am very happy with my sent I feel a little underpowered but havent upgraded my gear and such.

actually the Sith Harrowers can EASILY be killed by a solo sent if you are smart in how you do it... if you stand next to them when they are immune you will die which is what most do... after the immune ends you do force stasis followed by pacify and they are easy mode.

but then again you have to be a good player to figure that out.

The class is 100% fine, the problem is people do not want to learn to play it right and use ALL of the abilities. THey are not a class for a lazy gamer.

please, let me show you the door

If I'm forced to use ONE companion and wait for ALL my cooldowns to be ready for a fight with ONE npc meanwhile every other class out there can use ANY companion, not wait for ANY cooldowns and solo that losing just half the hp than yeah, SENTINEL IS NOT BAD, ACTUALLY ITS OP AND LETS NERF IT.

quit QQ about how skillfull you are, I don't know how you play and if you are really good. Frankly, I don't care - I myself am not a newbie, I'm preety much used to melee classes and actually PLAYED other classes in swtor and reached 40 as sentinel - THAT gave me the opinion that sentinel is the WEAKEST of all classes in swtor, it's a dps that is outdamaged by literally anything that 'thinks' - the tank guardian can EASILY outdps a sentinel simply stacking armour break so please, next time either THINK what you write, have some EXPERIENCE or don't write at all

the most possible thing is that you haven't really played a sentinel and are just trolling - I on the other hand tried both sentinel and marauder.

I think some of you have good, and valid, points, but no matter what we say on this forum, there has to be a way to prove it with data, and then show this data to the team/people that matter most (the makers of the game).

We can argue all we want, but the issue (if, in fact, there is one) will not be addressed if the Bioware team isn't aware of this. Also facts are needed, not screenshots or "I think" or "I feel" or "other classes don't...."; we need hard numeric data to back this up.

This company spent years in making this game, they spent months in beta and I'm sure someone in their beta team must have pointed out an issue with this class during beta (if there was an issue with the class).

I do too play this class, but coming from a developer point of view...if you can't show me data, then I have to way to fix this and by such, I'll move to my next major proven issue (and I'm sure they have tons that they're working on).

Just my two cents.

the most possible thing is that you haven't really played a sentinel and are just trolling - I on the other hand tried both sentinel and marauder.

Good for you.

Link your gear, companions gear, rotation, skill tree, and the mob you're fighting please. There are plenty of people here that are doing very well with the class - enough that it can be argued that it is not a game problem.

I use T7 or Kira, depending on which one is busy on missions. Both are geared well. I'm geared well. I've worked out a rotation that is rewarding me with near endless focus, huge crits, fast centering buildup and lots of damage. I look forward to longer fights because I really get to put it to work.

Most all of us would like to see you enjoy the AC and excel at it, instead of being mad.

I don't have to prove anything - you on the other hand say it's ok so please show us how OK is it

youtube vid will do

get a gold mob on the same level as you do and 'ep1x 1337 p4wn h1m y00' like you do to every mob out there master.

Good for you.

Link your gear, companions gear, rotation, skill tree, and the mob you're fighting please. There are plenty of people here that are doing very well with the class - enough that it can be argued that it is not a game problem.

I use T7 or Kira, depending on which one is busy on missions. Both are geared well. I'm geared well. I've worked out a rotation that is rewarding me with near endless focus, huge crits, fast centering buildup and lots of damage. I look forward to longer fights because I really get to put it to work.

Most all of us would like to see you enjoy the AC and excel at it, instead of being mad.

I have to agree.

At first(First 20-25 levels) I was mad and thought the Sentinel was terrible.

Then, I decided to learn the class some more and figure out what I should be using. I am now 34-35 and I just faceroll everything. The watchmen spec sentinel has some damn nice skills/abilities and once you learn to use what you should this class is fantastic.

Or don't learn, keep hacking and slashing at mobs, and then at the end of the day cry about it because you aren't playing the class correctly.

Darth Angral took me one try, and I finished it about half health.

Saber ward, overload sabers, force leap, master strike.

Rebuke, pacify, cauterize, stasis and force kick when needed.

Edited by calhounhusker

I don't have to prove anything - you on the other hand say it's ok so please show us how OK is it

youtube vid will do

get a gold mob on the same level as you do and 'ep1x 1337 p4wn h1m y00' like you do to every mob out there master.

There you go. And I'm 2 levels lower than Angral, and still stomped him in one shot.

People will not accept that sometimes, the problem is them.

Edited by Ovan_Oh-One