The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

*Spoilers* Force Awakens... entertaining but /sigh

gsummers

Left the theater thinking Kylo Ren is nothing that a haircut and a good spanking won't fix. He started off great. Then as soon as he took of his mask I thought "oh no, put the mask back on quick!" When we first hear him speak with his mask off, my wife started laughing so loud it reverberated across the theater. So much for a great villain.

Seriously, let's just fast forward now to the part where Kylo throws Darth Golum/Voldemort down a shaft of Death Star 4.0 (this one is the size of a solar system and can destroy dwarf galaxies!) as Snookie is killing Rey and get it over with.

Kylo: Now go my sister/cousin... leave me.

Rey: No my brother/cousin, you are coming with me, I won't leave you here I've got to save you.

Kylo: You already have sister/cousin, you already have. You were right, you were right about me. Tell your mother/aunt that you were right.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw the movie aswell, I understand what you mean though I'm viewing it in a different light.

I liked the movie. To me Kylo Ren is indeed not really a great villain we probably all expected, but to me he seems more like a lost boy who fell victim to the dark side. Thats not necessarily a bad thing. If I'm not mistaken there are only about 30 years between this movie and the previous one? So he's definitely young.

They might have been aiming for a more tragic story for him with a background instead of just go " okay here's a new truely evil bad villain for you guys ".

Who knows what lies ahead in his future.

I think the writers intend for there to be a likeable side to him. After all how could there NOT be, he's the son of Han Solo! We'll need to have some small modicum of sympathy for him so we can better understand how his family are responding to him. Perhaps we'll hear some stories of how great a kid he was and maybe a rescue or other heroic act he accomplished before he turned. I suspect some kind of redemption for him at the end, perhaps he helps Rey defeat Snoke, hopefully not in the carbon-copy method that Anakin helped Luke! But I think when you have killed many as he has, and then we see him kill his own father in cold blood, there isn't really any other option than for his story to end in his death by EP 9. I just hope Luke lives to see the end of the story, and go out on his own terms. I'm guessing the last 30 years have been torturous for him, and I have to say I thought Mark Hamill conveyed a lot of pain and amazement in that one scene at the end.

I'm hoping we get to see Luke die like Yoda did. Old age. It's a bit tiring when all the awesome Jedi die by being killed :p

As for Ren, we know he still has issues with LS, his killing his father was supposed to cleanse him of that, but this is SW where all can be redeemed, so I doubt he is as cleansed of the LS as he thinks.

Though, for wanting to continue on with what Vader started, I would have thought he knew the story of Vader realizing it was all wrong.

James Earl Jones is a hard act to follow.

When they cast Adam Driver, I knew immediately he would be the villain. I think he did great. Not everyone can have a voice with that kind of authority and strength.

All that said, how the heck did he not have helmet hair after taking off that tiny helmet?

James Earl Jones is a hard act to follow.

When they cast Adam Driver, I knew immediately he would be the villain. I think he did great. Not everyone can have a voice with that kind of authority and strength.

All that said, how the heck did he not have helmet hair after taking off that tiny helmet?

My thoughts exactly. Everything you hit on.

Funny enough, after we were walking out of the theater, one of us asked the same question. Did anyone notice how perfect Ren's hairdo was when he removed his helmet...

My thoughts exactly. Everything you hit on.

Funny enough, after we were walking out of the theater, one of us asked the same question. Did anyone notice how perfect Ren's hairdo was when he removed his helmet...

My thought on Ren taking off the mask was the scene from Nic Cage's movie, 9mm. Bad guy in the film is unmasked and Nic's character is shocked to see it's just a normal guy.

My thought on Ren taking off the mask was the scene from Nic Cage's movie, 9mm. Bad guy in the film is unmasked and Nic's character is shocked to see it's just a normal guy.

Oddly enough I had a similar feeling. Even before we knew Driver was being cast as the villain, it was pretty obvious he was going to be that person, so when he finally unveiled himself, I wasn't at all surprised he would look pretty much normal.

Nice touch near the end was that he got a gnarly slash on the face that will add some allure.

Oddly enough I had a similar feeling. Even before we knew Driver was being cast as the villain, it was pretty obvious he was going to be that person, so when he finally unveiled himself, I wasn't at all surprised he would look pretty much normal.

Nice touch near the end was that he got a gnarly slash on the face that will add some allure.

I figured he'd look normal as well, but I figured Rey's reaction was supposed to be shock at him looking normal.

The thing about Kylo Ren, and I think those who are dissappointed don't get (or simply don't like) what they'redoing with him.

he's NOT a "bad *** uber villan" he's supposed to be well... a little pathetic. he's a poser aping his grandfather

The villain who's growing into the bad *** villain role!

Though, I think people under estimate him some what. He did cause Luke to go searching the galaxy for the first Jedi temple, giving up on training new Jedi. His one betrayal had to kick some butt to do.

What I find comical with Ren is that he literally stalls/stops a laser mid-air, mid-air I mind you, it's never been done before, then decides to carry on a convo, all the while holding this laser. With that kind of power, you should never lose, but ultimately gets his azz kicked by...

The writing of this flick is certainly questionable, and hopefully it is answered in eight.

Edited by Pirana

What I find comical with Ren is that he literally stalls/stops a laser mid-air, mid-air I mind you, it's never been done before, then decides to carry on a convo, all the while holding this laser. With that kind of power, you should never lose, but ultimately gets his azz kicked by...

The writing of this flick is certainly questionable, and hopefully it is answered in eight.

did you watch the movie ffs, he wasn't anywhere near 100% in any of the last fights.

he wasn't trying to kill/hurt rey, if he was he would have ended the fight when he had her on the ropes instead of offering her an out.

snoke demanded she be brought to him so he's also got that on his mind.

and he was badly wounded by the bowcaster among other things.

Meanwhile she was trying her damndest to disembowel him and is obviously pretty powerful herself.

and him losing is hard to believe? of course he lost. In fact if you REALLY want to point out an inconsistency it would be he survived getting shot by the bow caster at all when everyone else got 1-shotted by it and sent flying 20 feet.

in any case he's meant to be unsure of himself and not 100% a scary villain. He's not Vader. He's Anakin.

Edited by maxetius

did you watch the movie ffs, he wasn't anywhere near 100% in any of the last fights.

he wasn't trying to kill/hurt rey, if he was he would have ended the fight when he had her on the ropes instead of offering her an out.

snoke demanded she be brought to him so he's also got that on his mind.

and he was badly wounded by the bowcaster among other things.

Meanwhile she was trying her damndest to disembowel him and is obviously pretty powerful herself.

and him losing is hard to believe? of course he lost. In fact if you REALLY want to point out an inconsistency it would be he survived getting shot by the bow caster at all when everyone else got 1-shotted by it and sent flying 20 feet.

in any case he's meant to be unsure of himself and not 100% a scary villain. He's not Vader. He's Anakin.

Whether Kylo was bleeding out, not 100% or anything pertaining to his decline. A non force user such as Finn should have been taken down in seconds, which he was not.

Regarding Rey, your argument has a bit more weight, but considering she has almost no training, that we're aware of anyway. it's still questionable writing.

One interesting tidbit though was this article I found on the internet this morning: http://hellogiggles.com/theory-rey-star-wars/ The gist of it is, is that Rey is related to Kenobi in one way or another. From her accent, her fighting style, to the way she scales walls, all mirrors Kenobi.

If any of that comes to fruition, which is a strong possibility, then I'll recant anything I've mentioned about Rey.

Edited by Pirana

Whether Kylo was bleeding out, not 100% or anything pertaining to his decline. A non force user such as Finn should have been taken down in seconds, which he was not.

Regarding Rey, your argument has a bit more weight, but considering she has almost no training, that we're aware of anyway. it's still questionable writing.

One interesting tidbit though was this article I found on the internet this morning: http://hellogiggles.com/theory-rey-star-wars/ The gist of it is, is that Rey is related to Kenobi in one way or another. From her accent, her fighting style, to the way she scales walls, all mirrors Kenobi.

If any of that comes to fruition, which is a strong possibility, then I'll recant anything I've mentioned about Rey.

If the theory is that Luke meets up with the daughter of Ben and they had Rey, that would be awesome :o Here's hoping the daughter's name was Mara Jade.

I did had a problem with how pretty Kylo Ren was actually all of the main characters of the first order besides Snoke where quite pretty.

I do not know why that bothers me but it does. Its hard to think there evil when you see their angel faces and yes I know Lucifer was the most beautiful angel in heaven.

There's an article, an interview with JJ recently, I think around the 20th, where he talks about the story arc not just being the development of the hero Rey but also of the villain, Kylo. We can expect over the next two movies that Kylo will reach the summit of his power and will become intimidating indeed (he already is in some respects, if only because his lack of control over himself makes him very unpredictable). Snoke did say that he needs to complete his training. We can expect maybe a new, fully functioning lightsaber for Kylo, plus maybe a new mask or upgraded suit to deal with the injuries he sustained (and probably will sustain more, can't be a skywalker if you're not missing a limb...).

By the way I did see the movie again, and really for me it was even better the 2nd time through. I picked up a few more things, for example when Kylo is reading Rey's mind he picks out some "memories" that are actually memories of force visions or dreams she had - specifically a mental picture of the planet Luke was on ("ocean world ... an island..."). he did not interpret it that way, just thought they were her personal hopes and dreams to get away from Jakku and go somewhere like that. Also that speaks to Rey's growing power, it appears that she has been showing signs of her force prowess in many ways and visions seem to be a part of that.

Agree with the OP. The parts with Han and Chewy were great but the new folks meh they didn't even really have star warsy sounding names. The darth want-to-be was nothing more than a geek with anger management issues. Don't even get me started with what a waste of character space that was Fin guess he is the jar jar of the new moives....and then what they did to Solo.....like a punk.....:mad: over all the moive was just ok. Edited by Solo-Jo

I think it was a great movie, I rank him 4th on the saga overall - 5,6,4,7,3,1,2 btw - and as it indeed had a lot of similarities with ANH, it had a lot of fresher thing (female protagonist, undeveloped vilain, stormtroopers not so dumb, new droid, as much as I like R2 and 3PO, we needed something fresh).

But I think this movie was intended to be similar, Disney saw what happened with TPM, they had to conquer the fans, and they had immense success, because people who didnt like the movie are really the minority here, and I'm not critiscizing them in any ways, it's just a fact.

I hope episodes VIII and IX will a lot more "authentic", because they achieved the objective of bringing the fans to the history, now they'll be able to introduce their own ideas. Resuming, I think Ep. VIII and ESB will have a lot less similarities than TFA/ANH.

Agree with the OP. The parts with Han and Chewy were great but the new folks meh they didn't even really have star warsy sounding names.

Yes, because "Luke" is such a "Star Warsy" name. :p

T....and then what they did to Solo.....like a punk.....:mad: over all the moive was just ok.

It's a bit of a tradition that

the mentor figure dies in the first movie of a Star Wars trilogy. It's just surprising *who* they decided to kill (though Harrison Ford tried to convince Lucas that Han should die since either Empire or Jedi.

Adam Driver was great.

Ahh lol..for a moment there you had me. I actually thought you were begin serious, but then I remembered that no one in their right mind, could ever put out a statement, that says Driver was anything even remotely close to "great"..

Good one sir..