Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

24-hour clock, something smart!

MrGlad

Ok, The 24-hour clock is a convention of time keeping in which the day runs from midnight to midnight and is divided into 24 hours, indicated by the hours passed since midnight, from 0 to 23. This system is the most commonly used time notation in the world today.

So please, in the future when you bring our Europeean servers down during daytime, can you please tell us WHAT time? I don't understand that stupid 12 hour clock system since its so stupid, and its only USA and Canada that uses it, we DONT!!!!

I dont want to convert AM/PM/CMT into our smart 24 hour clock!

Or please teach me! :)

• 3 months later...
Ok, The 24-hour clock is a convention of time keeping in which the day runs from midnight to midnight and is divided into 24 hours, indicated by the hours passed since midnight, from 0 to 23. This system is the most commonly used time notation in the world today.

So please, in the future when you bring our Europeean servers down during daytime, can you please tell us WHAT time? I don't understand that stupid 12 hour clock system since its so stupid, and its only USA and Canada that uses it, we DONT!!!!

Completely agree. The 24h clock is the most commonly used time notation in the world, and is the international standard notation of time. Please include this standardization in the patch notes AND the chat time-stamp in-game :)

I would agree with the 24 hour clock except for the fact that Bioware is based in North America, where the 12 hour clock is practiced, as such they are posting time in the format they use.

{troll}

I also seem to recall the Royal Navy keeping time by bells. Perhaps we should start posting maintenance times in that method as well?

Maintenance will start 3 and 1/2 bells into the forenoon watch. Try translating that one.{/troll}

Edited by Dejoule

Indeed. Only American civilians seem to maintain their fascination with the old 12-hour clock.

Hmmmm, a Euro-lie? Not sure why you think all of Europe uses 24hour time notation, because we do not.

Seriously, 24 hour clocks are actually more for the less-smart who can not uise the AM/PM notation.

Edited by Catch_TwentyTwo

It's not that hard. Time to learn analog clock time recognition kiddo.

I hope this will help:

http://www.kidsnumbers.com/tick-tock-clock-game.php

awesome.

i found this too,

http://www.spacearchive.info/military.htm

I was wondering, do these guys complaining about 12hr time format know how to read an analog clock?

Some images of clocks in Europe

Supposed oldest clock in Germany on some church.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_IGVy5D9HfEo/TCcTlzCPEdI/AAAAAAAAAPo/OBnG_ajU7FY/s1600/small+clock.jpg

Street clock in France

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1597/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1597-106729.jpg

London,

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02040/big-ben_2040112c.jpg

Edited by Offended

The 24 hour system is easier for comprehension, that's a fact. However, converting time between the two is pretty effortless. But, yes, I would like to see my time in the 24h format, this whole am-pm thing is totally stupid and serves no purpose whatsoever.

I would like to have the 24h clock too. Not just because it's easier, but because it's standard all over the world. Only US and Canada use the 12h clock. Next I have to count in gallons and feet too, hmm? :D Feet... I love it... how can a civilized nation still count in feet? :DDD

00.00 - 12.00 = am

12.00 - 00.00 = pm

3pm = 15.00 and 3am = 03.00.

CMT is a timezone and have nothing to do with 12 vs 24 hour clock. The median time is called UTC and here is a handy list of the time zones: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_time_zones_by_UTC_offset

awesome.

I was wondering, do these guys complaining about 12hr time format know how to read an analog clock?

So what, you suggesting that BioWare send us a real clock each? We are talking about something a bit different here. A day is 24 hours, everyone is familiar with this concept. It's pretty annoying having not only to convert from those timezones, but also from am-pm.

Only US and Canada use the 12h clock. Next I have to count in gallons and feet too, hmm? :D Feet... I love it... how can a civilized nation still count in feet? :DDD

This just blows my mind.

First off, while there are quite a few Americans that consider America the entire world, saying that ONLY the US and Canada use a 12h clock is wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-hour_clock#Use_by_country

Australia

Bangladesh

English-speaking Canada

Colombia

Costa Rica

Egypt

El Salvador

Ghana

Honduras

Hong Kong

India

Iran

Ireland

Jordan

Malaysia

Mexico

New Zealand

Nicaragua

Nigeria

Pakistan

Philippines

Saudi Arabia

Singapore

United Kingdom

United States

Venezuela

Also, you don't "count" gallons or feet[sic], since they are units of volume and distance, which are measured.

Hmmmm, a Euro-lie? Not sure why you think all of Europe uses 24hour time notation, because we do not.

Seriously, 24 hour clocks are actually more for the less-smart who can not uise the AM/PM notation.

I don't really care about this issue but 24hr would actually be for the smartest because it's most efficient, dealing with needless if minor complication=!smart.

Still a 24hr clock would be nice I guess for being international, they won't even bring the servers down at separate times though so good luck with that OP.