4.03 dxgmms2.sys Blue Screen in win10

reverseclipse

Hey Bioware, your **** is broken and crashing systems.

How about you release a press announcement on the issue... or should we all just cancel or subscriptions? Some bugs that have been around since you launched years ago I can tolerate, bringing my whole system down I won't.

Fix it or find someone else to pay the bills.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Bioware, your **** is broken and crashing systems.

How about you release a press announcement on the issue... or should we all just cancel or subscriptions? Some bugs that have been around since you launched years ago I can tolerate, bringing my whole system down I won't.

Fix it or find someone else to pay the bills.

It is an Nvidia problem, they are the ones creating drivers having issues with Windows 10. This same exact problem happens with many other games, where the work around is to downgrade to Driver version 347.88 since drivers after that support DX12. Seems like the inclusion of DX12 support in Nvidia drivers is screwed up.

Bioware can't fix it, it is Nvidia that needs to fix it.

Bioware can't fix it, it is Nvidia that needs to fix it.

I doubt seriously that's the case. Out of 5 games I play, swtor is the only one with the issue. Add to that the weird polygon issues, other odd bugs that plague the game, the crappy hero engine that's still to this day 32bit, and the fact I have friends on Radeon that can't run the game more than a few minutes before a lock up...

I'd say the hero engine is at it's end of life.

I doubt seriously that's the case. Out of 5 games I play, swtor is the only one with the issue. Add to that the weird polygon issues, other odd bugs that plague the game, the crappy hero engine that's still to this day 32bit, and the fact I have friends on Radeon that can't run the game more than a few minutes before a lock up...

That alone doesn't mean it is not an NVidia issue. There is a current issue with ATI cards, you need to run at medium settings if you're running one of the latest two drivers or else things like lightsaber effects don't appear etc.

This is an ATI issue as it wasn't a problem until two driver releases ago.

I'm sure you're right in that it is almost certainly a "hero engine" issue - but still something NVidia/ATI need to fix, as they broke it in the first place.

That alone doesn't mean it is not an NVidia issue. There is a current issue with ATI cards, you need to run at medium settings if you're running one of the latest two drivers or else things like lightsaber effects don't appear etc.

I'm sure you're right in that it is almost certainly a "hero engine" issue - but still something NVidia/ATI need to fix, as they broke it in the first place.

Yeah I agree with you but one issue kwon and no one talk about it. Many player send messages to Bioware/nvidia and no one 'move', no one talk about it.

Look it up, and you will see talk all over the internet about this same exact issue on other games not just this one and not just on Hero Engine games. Reason why people know about using the 347.88 drivers is because of the Nvidia forums, where people are talking about the same exact issue with other games. When the problem happens on other games, and using the same past driver fixes the issue with all those games, then it is no doubt an Nvidia issue and not a game issue.

Look it up, and you will see talk all over the internet about this same exact issue on other games not just this one and not just on Hero Engine games. Reason why people know about using the 347.88 drivers is because of the Nvidia forums, where people are talking about the same exact issue with other games. When the problem happens on other games, and using the same past driver fixes the issue with all those games, then it is no doubt an Nvidia issue and not a game issue.

I have personally experienced this in other games and am now running 347.88 drivers. No crash issues since I downgraded the drivers. I do occasionally hit degraded performance with these drivers since they are pretty old.

There is a growing thread(s) on the Nvidia forums with users experiencing this across different games.

This is definitely a Nvidia / Microsoft issue.

Edited by nyhokie

This was happening to me prior to the latest driver (361.75) being released. I read somewhere to go into the Nvidia Control Panel, click "Help" at the top, and click "Debug Mode". Should put a check mark by it. That worked for me but, I haven't had a problem with the latest drivers either. Hope it helps someone.

You can add me to the list. Same problem even with grass at 0. hopefully nvida/windows fix it soon. I am aware of the driver roll back but if you do that then you cant allow windows to update anymore. Otherwise it will update the driver automatically. And i am not going to put my computer at security risk for that. So Bioware you got a free $40 sub from me since i cant play the game in a enjoyable state. I Know its not your fault but still sucks for me

Nothing change with new card (i have a friend with a 980 who's crash to)

I think you misunderstood, I have a GTX980 and this card crashes like most Nvidia. My son plays using ATI card and has no problems, might have a look at the R9 cards.

I think you misunderstood, I have a GTX980 and this card crashes like most Nvidia. My son plays using ATI card and has no problems, might have a look at the R9 cards.

EVGA 980's had a firmware issue causing a grey/red screen a while ago simply placing the driver in debug mode per here stopped the issue if relevant

EVGA 980's had a firmware issue causing a grey/red screen a while ago simply placing the driver in debug mode per here stopped the issue if relevant

Sorry this has nothing to do with the dxgmmsy.sys BSOD crash which Nvidia, Microsoft and Bioware are all ignoring.

Sorry this has nothing to do with the dxgmmsy.sys BSOD crash which Nvidia, Microsoft and Bioware are all ignoring.

Your right that has nothing to do with dxgmms2.sys that was a issue specific to EVGA cards and firmware, so if your 980 isn't EVGA then it can be discounted.

if setting grass to 0 stops your crashing then it is dxgmms2.sys issue though

Edited by OwenBrooks

I haven't experienced BSOD on two of our PCs.

1st PC I haven't experience BSOD

GPU: MSI branded AMD Radeon HD R9-290X 1030Mhz OC,

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K at 4.4Ghz liquid cooled

Memory: 16 GB DDR3-2133Mhz JEDEC

Drivers: Cat 15.11 to 16.1.1

Played Sith player to level 50.

2nd PC which has experience multiple BSOD e.g. dxgmms1.sys

GPU: MSI branded GeForce GTX 980 Ti, down clocked to reference clock speeds.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K at 4.0 Ghz liquid cooled

Memory: 32 GB DDR3-2400Mhz XMP

Drivers: Unsolved, workaround, Grass Quality to 0 seems to do the trick.

We have a spare R9-290 Pro.

3rd PC I haven't experience BSOD

Laptop: Samsung ATIV Book 8 Touch 880Z5E

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8870M hybrid with Intel HD 4000 IGP, 8870M is the mobile version of desktop Radeon HD 7770/R7-250X. AMD Radeon HD 8870M was renamed into AMD Radeon R9-M370X.

CPU: Intel Core i7-3635QM

Memory: 16 GB DDR3-1600Mhz JEDEC

Drivers: Latest Samsung issued drivers.

Edited by AngeliseValenz

if setting grass to 0 stops your crashing then it is dxgmms2.sys issue though

Interesting to see in the patch notes for tomorrow's patch:

Increased the max grass render distance to 200 meters (up from 64). This setting can be adjusted via a new slider found in the Graphics settings.

I'd be surprised if them adding grass render changes was just coincidental - could this be the fix we've been hoping for?

Looks like it's time to dump Nvidia cards....

Haven't had a BSOD crash since setting grass to 0, but when I got onto another mmo yesterday it crashed less than five minutes in game. So the problem is still there. :jawa_mad:

Anybody have Firefox open while in game? There was some discussion on Nvidia forums about having Firefox open while in game also might be causing crashes. Last couple of crashes I did have a Firefox browser open.

Edited by deleries

Looks like it's time to dump Nvidia cards....

Haven't had a BSOD crash since setting grass to 0, but when I got onto another mmo yesterday it crashed less than five minutes in game. So the problem is still there. :jawa_mad:

I've had no crashes in any other game aside from SWTOR at all, including several well known MMOs ;) as well as plenty of current and older single-player games. Yet the SWTOR BSOD is easily reproducible just by turning grass on and heading to a particular stretch of road in Belsavis.

Anybody have Firefox open while in game? There was some discussion on Nvidia forums about having Firefox open while in game also might be causing crashes. Last couple of crashes I did have a Firefox browser open.

I don't even have Firefox installed (I use Chrome).

Interesting to read this, the first time this has happened to me was tonight on Balmorra, both times I was on the taxi and it would start to lag out and then the BSOD would pop up shortly after... I guess it's not surprising I haven't seen this much if it's the taxi doing it as I been mostly QT-ing around (redoing the reset side quests on a higher level) and haven't done much but raid the last month.

I'll check it out more if it continues to be an issue as I also use a Nvidia card, but only see it crash on the taxi so far.

Edited by sabbey

both times I was on the taxi and it would start to lag out and then the BSOD would pop up shortly after... I guess it's not surprising I haven't seen this much if it's the taxi doing it

It happens outside of taxis as well, you're just perhaps less likely to end up in one of the "trigger areas" when not on one.

I even had a BSOD on Voss a while back - was about to enter an instanced area, turned the camera around and the game went byebye ;)

The latest patch didn't solve the issue. Still getting BSODs.

Setting grass to 0 is not an acceptable solution, this just kills the immersion on the grassy planets, like Voss, Belsavis,...

Edit: Just had the BSOD with grass set to 0 and in a cave, so this might not be the solution for all of us.

Edited by WonkoTheSane
Additional Info