Obfuscate, and healers. [PVP]

Msackfield

Hi!

So obviously I play my healer character/s quite a lot, and I've noticed something in the large amount of marauders that I've been going against, they constantly use Obfuscate on me, a healer! It's really confused me as to why so many (like there is quite a number of them honestly, and they're not all bad players) are doing it. The tooltip for Obfuscate says that it reduces the melee or ranged accuracy of the target by 90% (?) for six seconds.

Heals aren't affected by accuracy though. Or at least they weren't.

Is there something hidden in there that it doesn't tell us about having an effect on heals? I don't play a marauder often so I as far as I know it's only meant for white damage.

Could anyone possibly enlighten me? Or are these guys just being dumb?

(I wouldn't have made the thread if this didn't confuse me)

Hi!

So obviously I play my healer character/s quite a lot, and I've noticed something in the large amount of marauders that I've been going against, they constantly use Obfuscate on me, a healer! It's really confused me as to why so many (like there is quite a number of them honestly, and they're not all bad players) are doing it. The tooltip for Obfuscate says that it reduces the melee or ranged accuracy of the target by 90% (?) for six seconds.

Heals aren't affected by accuracy though. Or at least they weren't.

Is there something hidden in there that it doesn't tell us about having an effect on heals? I don't play a marauder often so I as far as I know it's only meant for white damage.

Could anyone possibly enlighten me? Or are these guys just being dumb?

(I wouldn't have made the thread if this didn't confuse me)

Maybe they're hoping you don't kill them with a saber strike?

That's really bad play frankly. I've had a couple of times I've done it, either intending to switch my target and failing, or just hitting it without thinking. But I always scold myself for being a baddie when I do it, because that is exactly what I am being.

Yep, it's a waste. I've done it accidentally. I've also taunted healers accidentally. I try to reserve it for snipers, other maras, jugs, Sins. Anything else is a waste. Maybe a merc? Can't remember how much of their damage is ranged vs tech.

all kidos roll mara due to it's obvious ******ness

it's dark and red and evil and cool and has 2 damn sabers

obsfucate is mostly there so we maras can screw each other tbh, multiple maras always result in dps race, i guess we are the barbarians of this game

Yep, it's a waste. I've done it accidentally. I've also taunted healers accidentally. I try to reserve it for snipers, other maras, jugs, Sins. Anything else is a waste. Maybe a merc? Can't remember how much of their damage is ranged vs tech.

It works on Sins? I thought most of there damage was yellow? Or so I was told....

It works on Sins? I thought most of there damage was yellow? Or so I was told....

Most of it is. Deception has 3 core rotational abilities that are white damage (Voltaic Slash, Assassinate, Maul). Hatred has Thrash, Assassinate, Leeching Strike that are white damage. I would certainly use Obfuscate on a mara over a sin, but I'd rather use it on a Sin than not use it at all. If I'm trying to 1v1 a Deception Sin, I'll use it to try and make them miss a Maul.

Edited by teclado

Most of it is. Deception has 3 core rotational abilities that are white damage (Voltaic Slash, Assassinate, Maul). Hatred has Thrash, Assassinate, Leeching Strike that are white damage. I would certainly use Obfuscate on a mara over a sin, but I'd rather use it on a Sin than not use it at all. If I'm trying to 1v1 a Deception Sin, I'll use it to try and make them miss a Maul.

Makes sense, although i still see more Sins/Shadows in WZ's then Mara's atm.

Is it safe to use on PT's and Mercs? Maybe mercs less so than PT's?

^^ That's a good question. I took a look at this to see what each spec has for white / yellow.

Advanced Prototype PTs have Rail Shot and basic attack that does weapon damage. That's it. Probably not worth it unless you are trying to win a 1v1.

Arsenal Merc has Blazing Bolts (upgraded Unload), Rail Shot, Priming Shot, and basic attack. IO Merc has initial hit of Serrated Shot, Mag Shot (upgraded Rail Shot), Power Shot, Unload, basic attack. Might be worth it.

Edited by teclado

I think you will find that they are using a macro mouse where it is tied to another attack at a key press.

I know of two very good jugs that use their taunts (insta cast) tied to certain mouse buttons with other attacks - it helps to clear up the massive volume of attack buttons some classes get so they can focus on other stuff.

It isn't optimal but its either this or not having them keybound at all, so it makes sense in a weird way

I do it out of habit, to help reduce the enemys dps basically that's what it's for.

Not always in bad situations where I have to use it to save me, if I am it's surely not going to save me anyway.

Though having it in a 1v1 is amazing.. But I rarely get those anymore.

Most of the time I do it's because you haven't been marked/new match/not paid attention to you/seen you at all in the match.

Either way yeah it's a waste, but not one if you're dps.

As it's a 45 second cd to some, 1minute for me, they probably use it as a habit.

^^ That's a good question. I took a look at this to see what each spec has for white / yellow.

Advanced Prototype PTs have Rail Shot and basic attack that does weapon damage. That's it. Probably not worth it unless you are trying to win a 1v1.

Arsenal Merc has Blazing Bolts (upgraded Unload), Rail Shot, Priming Shot, and basic attack. IO Merc has initial hit of Serrated Shot, Mag Shot (upgraded Rail Shot), Power Shot, Unload, basic attack. Might be worth it.

It really just comes down to your situation. Obviously it works best against something like a MM sniper, but it has it's uses for mercs and AP PT as well. I agree with you that you should prioritize obfuscate for those classes that it really screws over, but if it will save you long enough to hold off a cap then it might be worth it. Most of the time I will just use it on MM snipers even if I'm not focusing them. I'll just switch targets long enough to debuff them and then go back to the healer. But in some cases it's good for others.

The I would say that mercs, pts, sins, juggs, and maras both have a good mix of white and yellow damage. Most of them have hard hitting attacks of both types. Honestly, AP PT does quite a bit of damage with their rail shot reset. Same with IO merc between power shot, mag shot, and unload. Blazing bolts makes up quite a large portion of arsenal merc damage....I have gotten 6k ticks on blazing bolts. I'd use obfuscate on that.

I think I rank class priority for using it on as thus:

MM sniper (not as great vs engineering a virulence)

Maras (especially carnage as vicious throw, massacre, and ravage are used a lot)

Juggs (vengeance is basically built on ravage reset, plus vicious throw and impale)

Mercs (unload/blazing bolts are fairly hard hitting channels. Priming shot can hit for 12k+ and rail shot/mag shot is good white burst)

Sins (it's harder to time the use of it on them as it isn't as predictable or drawn out when they will use it. But it's nice making them miss a 15k maul)

Pts (if you can get them to miss a couple rail shots you just saved 12-25k of damage)

Ops (useless. Don't even bother. If they are spamming overload shot at you then they suck. Maybe in a 1v1 versus lethality to take off the white damage from corrosive assault, but pretty much only then).

Sorcs (absolutely useless. Maybe to save you from the humiliation of having a sorc finish you with a killing blow from saber strike. I actually bind saber strike so I can do that with my sorc to people in war zones.)

I'm not disagreeing with you on anything. Just using your post as a sounding board for my thoughts on the matter.

Makes sense, although i still see more Sins/Shadows in WZ's then Mara's atm.

Is it safe to use on PT's and Mercs? Maybe mercs less so than PT's?

For PT only rail shot is really affected by it. For merc railshot and boltstorm are affected as is their instant that can proc an instant tracer missile, and missing means no instant tracer. So it's pretty good against mercs. OK against PT's, but usually could better be used on something else.

• 4 weeks later...