Reconsider chapter early access, please.

Eckrond

Just wanted to bring this up as a topic to BW and the community;

I personally do not like the idea of early access unless there is some form of Beta testing component to it; otherwise it feels like the content is simply being arbitrarily gated. Personally, this is patronizing to me as a subscriber, and is no doubt irritating to Preferred and Free to Play players at the very least. As you might imagine, I don't just play with other subscribers; many of my friends in the game are not subbed, so why would I feel rewarded just to get to experience content sooner than they would? Completely disregarding the possible resentment it would cause among these players, if the content is there to be experienced there's just no good reason to gate it.

Obviously I don't speak for everyone, but to be perfectly honest I just cannot imagine the type of player that is satisfied with the 'reward' of getting to do something two days earlier than some people. Thanks for reading.

You can't do or get the new chapters unless you are a subscriber, so your friends are sol unless they sub anyway. Also the new chapters are solo content anyway, so your friends not having access to them when you do isn't really an issue

So, OP, you're complaining that because I will be subscribed on the first of each month, I get access two days earlier than you who will subscribe on the second or something?

(Excuse any incoherence. I'm saving all my coherence for being at work, as I stayed up until half-past midnight watching the twitch (and translating on the fly for my French guildies!) and setting up my crafters for my guild's first full-week conquest with an actual flagship(1).)

Notes:

(1) Now that we've joined in the fun, I'm declaring myself to officially be with the people who say that 50 million for a flagship is just fine as a price. We decided to do it, and we accumulated the money, and we did it. It took two or three weeks once the decision was properly announced. And now everyone's chipping in with decorations, and I have three toons crafting stuff for conquest (1 biochem around 170, 1 artifice around 240, 1 armstech 500 who's also crafting invasion forces and dark projects).

As a subscriber, I would actually prefer "delayed access" as a reward. Each new release introduces so many new bugs (often game-breaking, or at least game-disrupting) that I would rather not have any new content patched into my experience until at least the first round of bug fixes had been released. This would be a much better subscriber reward in my opinion, as it means I would be less likely to waste precious game time dealing with annoying bugs or even being unable to play. Let those who aren't paying for the game do the beta testing so that subscribers don't have to!

As a subscriber, I would actually prefer "delayed access" as a reward. Each new release introduces so many new bugs (often game-breaking, or at least game-disrupting) that I would rather not have any new content patched into my experience until at least the first round of bug fixes had been released. This would be a much better subscriber reward in my opinion, as it means I would be less likely to waste precious game time dealing with annoying bugs or even being unable to play. Let those who aren't paying for the game do the beta testing so that subscribers don't have to!

This is exactly why they WANT subscribers to have early access. It allows them to identify the worst of the bugs revealed by stressing the live servers before the official release.

Subscribers are more likely to forgive a buggy release because many of them have supported this game for a very long time and are accustomed to it. First-time players who are drawn in by word of mouth or by the appeal of an MMO in the same universe as the upcoming Star Wars movies may be less forgiving if the product is unsatisfying or unplayable 60 minutes after it's finished downloading.

You can't do or get the new chapters unless you are a subscriber, so your friends are sol unless they sub anyway. Also the new chapters are solo content anyway, so your friends not having access to them when you do isn't really an issue

So much this. You have to sub for the content, so everyone will get early access at some point unless you don't sub until the last chapter comes out. If I sub on Feb 11th for the new chapter, I will still be subbed on March 1 and get the March content as early access...

You do know if they are not subs they don't get access to the new story? You have to be a sub somewhere along the line to have access to the story. If they never sub they don't get access to the story, so not sure why you are complaining about early access.

If they are a sub and their date is different than yours, you could do what I would do. If my boyfriend didn't play on early access then I would wait for him to be able to play with me. Waiting a few days for me is not that big of deal.

I know its been repeated, but it really needs to be repeated yet again for the OP:

You won't get to even play the new chapter unless you subscribe.

The only people who wont have "early access" are the people who started their subscription between the 2nd and the day the chapter is released.

So, what's the point?

The point is that it will (very mildly) discourage people from subbing the day before the chapter is released in hopes of just barely fitting in a second chapter before their one-month subscription runs out.

In practice, I suspect it will do very little... and as such, your complaints about it don't have all that much value.

This is exactly why they WANT subscribers to have early access. It allows them to identify the worst of the bugs revealed by stressing the live servers before the official release.

Subscribers are more likely to forgive a buggy release because many of them have supported this game for a very long time and are accustomed to it. First-time players who are drawn in by word of mouth or by the appeal of an MMO in the same universe as the upcoming Star Wars movies may be less forgiving if the product is unsatisfying or unplayable 60 minutes after it's finished downloading.

Oh I get why they do it. I'm just pointing out how early access in no way constitutes a "reward" from my perspective, but rather is typically something I avoid or could even be considered a punishment. It's definitely not something that will entice me to maintain a subscription, and depending on how obtrusive it gets would even have the potential to drive me away.

Please. You are complaining that you don't get to be a guinea pig for untested new content?

I'm a subscriber and there ain't no way I'm playing anything they release right out of the gate anymore. Fool me once...

Edited by Cedia

I personally do not like the idea of early access unless there is some form of Beta testing component to it; otherwise it feels like the content is simply being arbitrarily gated. Personally, this is patronizing to me as a subscriber, and is no doubt irritating to Preferred and Free to Play players at the very least. As you might imagine, I don't just play with other subscribers; many of my friends in the game are not subbed, so why would I feel rewarded just to get to experience content sooner than they would? Completely disregarding the possible resentment it would cause among these players, if the content is there to be experienced there's just no good reason to gate it.

Obviously I don't speak for everyone, but to be perfectly honest I just cannot imagine the type of player that is satisfied with the 'reward' of getting to do something two days earlier than some people. Thanks for reading.

Let's see..... They've already explained that ONLY subs get the content so your f2p & preferred friends feelings don't matter.

Now for the part in bold.....let's look at it a different way.

SW Ep7 opens on Dec 18th in the US... .but it opens on the 17th in other countries. So if you got tickets for the 17th should you have to wait until the 18th because your friend in tha US doesn't get "early access"?

C'mon man.

Give the OP a break.

I got a firsthand look and tested .... wait for it...... GALACTIC STAR FAIL ahem, I mean STARFIGHTER.

And look how successful GSF is atm:

I also got to check out SOR when it hit PTS .

What glitch? what bug?

What exploit?

It wasn't me that went hopping over the exhaustion zone mountains and found a way to go mug the boss that dropped that nice shiny offhand in Ziost.

:eek:

I personally do not like the idea of early access unless there is some form of Beta testing component to it; otherwise it feels like the content is simply being arbitrarily gated. Personally, this is patronizing to me as a subscriber, and is no doubt irritating to Preferred and Free to Play players at the very least

Non-subscribers can't play KotFE at all. So what, exactly, would they find irritating?

I feel like their are always some people that ask for things that literally ruin a game. Someone complaining about two days of early access like its a bad thing reminds me of people who complained about the companion buffs. I almost can't believe he's seriously complaining. If he is serious. I so frustrated with certain players in this game for this very reason. Why on earth would you complain about two days of early access that your not even forced to play.

I feel like their are always some people that ask for things that literally ruin a game. Someone complaining about two days of early access like its a bad thing reminds me of people who complained about the companion buffs. I almost can't believe he's seriously complaining. If he is serious. I so frustrated with certain players in this game for this very reason. Why on earth would you complain about two days of early access that your not even forced to play.

I can't speak for the OP as their motivations appear to be different than mine, but for me early access usually means more time spent having to deal with bugs. Even if I don't engage in the new content, there is often still something broken that affects me. So in order to avoid the headache and hassle, I've adopted the following policy: when early access starts, I don't log in. Then when launch hits, I don't log in. When the first post-launch patch hits, then I will finally update my client and log in. So longer early access means more time I spend away from the game; that is why I will complain about any early access being offered as some kind of "reward".

Edited by Blackbird

The only people who wont have "early access" are the people who started their subscription between the 2nd and the day the chapter is released.

So my two questions would be:

1 - if this remains to be true, exactly how many people are subs going to beat out for "early" access? Seems like it would be a really tiny number, and thus can you even consider it a real 'reward'?

2 - why only two days? why not a week/weekend?

Having said that, this, to me, seems to indicate that Bioware is going to move forward with offering KOTFE chapters on the CM for f2p/preferred players to buy and play. Which would then mean subs would get a real advantage for an early access as the number of available players able to play upon chapter release would then be significantly higher - although once again just two days seems odd.

Just a thought...

I can't speak for the OP as their motivations appear to be different than mine, but for me early access usually means more time spent having to deal with bugs. Even if I don't engage in the new content, there is often still something broken that affects me. So in order to avoid the headache and hassle, I've adopted the following policy: when early access starts, I don't log in. Then when launch hits, I don't log in. When the first post-launch patch hits, then I will finally update my client and log in. So longer early access means more time I spend away from the game; that is why I will complain about any early access being offered as some kind of "reward".

You know your not forced to do the early access content. You don't even have "Start" the chapter if you don't want it. I really think you are over reacting by not logging in "at all" simply just do what you normally do and don't start the chapter to complain about it for bugs you are not even sure exist. You want it to remove from everyone because you "assume" there are bugs that exist. What if there are no bugs at all. It's a hundred percent optional. It's a good thing its in early access. I really think you should re-consider as I mentioned. It's optional and you are off the assumption there are bugs that exist in it.

honestly? the whole early acess makes no sense. if you are not a continuous subscriber - you just don't get the acess to chapters at all until you subscribe. and if you ARE a continuous subscriber - the point is moot anyways.

all this does is arbitrarily and inconsequentially delay access to the newest chapter for someone who for whatever reason subscribed on I don't now a forth of the month after a break. why inconsequential? becasue its 2 days for solo only story. it gives you zero advantage, zero anything.

its a completely empty gesture masquerading as a "reward"

i am not sure if i ever utilized early access for any game i have ever played. I think i said i would, but work happens and it goes out the window. i think, though, i did log in for a few minutes for 4.0 (i think), but regardless the notion that they shouldnt offer it because i wouldnt be able to utilize it to its full extent is ludicrous.

(insert the sub thing).

So don't play the chapters on early access. Just go about doing what you've been doing before the chapter release.

You know your not forced to do the early access content. You don't even have "Start" the chapter if you don't want it.

I highly suggest you read, not skim, before posting:

Even if I don't engage in the new content, there is often still something broken that affects me.

And as for this:

I really think you are over reacting by not logging in "at all" simply just do what you normally do and don't start the chapter to complain about it for bugs you are not even sure exist. You want it to remove from everyone because you "assume" there are bugs that exist. What if there are no bugs at all. It's a hundred percent optional. It's a good thing its in early access. I really think you should re-consider as I mentioned. It's optional and you are off the assumption there are bugs that exist in it.

Am I overreacting? Maybe; but I've dealt with it too often in the past to care enough to put up with it again; something always breaks and it's just not worth my time to deal with it before it gets fixed. And please show me one single major content update that BW has ever come up with for this game that had "no bugs at all". If you can do that, I'll show you the way to the lost city of Atlantis.

I find and troubleshoot "bugs" and other problems all day at work; I'm not being paid to do it for Bioware, so I'm not going to waste my time with it.

Edited by Blackbird

And as for this:

Am I overreacting? Maybe; but I've dealt with it too often in the past to care enough to put up with it again; something always breaks and it's just not worth my time to deal with it before it gets fixed. And please show me one single major content update that BW has ever come up with for this game that had "no bugs at all". If you can do that, I'll show you the way to the lost city of Atlantis.

I find and troubleshoot "bugs" and other problems all day at work; I'm not being paid to do it for Bioware, so I'm not going to waste my time with it.

The thing is though like people who complained about Companion Buffs. You are saying "No one" should have early access to you because you "assume" it MIGHT have bugs. Then you say you refuse to log in at all. During the chapters I wasn't forced to do the next chapter. It was a hundred percent optional. If you really feel that strongly you could just not do the chapters do whatever else you were going to. The chapters when they were first released they didn't have bugs in it.

You see the problem trying to make it mandatory that no one can play two days early. Kinda defeats the entire purpose of releasing it early.

Well Blackbird, you're not the OP now are you? And I didn't feel like reading every single post that was made before mine, I just wanted to say what I wanted to say. And get a Snickers, you seem hungry :)

(btw, even without early release, you'd still be dealing with any bugs that came from the content anyway)

Edited by beattlebilly

Please. You are complaining that you don't get to be a guinea pig for untested new content?

I'm a subscriber and there ain't no way I'm playing anything they release right out of the gate anymore. Fool me once...

Pretty much this. The experience is usually so much better 4-6 weeks later, after the gravest of bugs have been fixed. Two days for the chapters is about the average time it takes them to roll out hotfixes. And most people seem to be playing on weekends, anyway, so I don't think the two days will have much of an impact.