kotor/Swtor Becoming Canon at some point? what ur thoughts?

Foreignobjects

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are some people so obsessed with the canon / not-canon thing?

I have no idea. I blame Marvel. They went and integrated all their little film franchises into a single mangled universe (albeit one in which teenaged Quicksilver can help break Magneto out of prison in 1973 and die as a young man on a floating city in 2015 ... Hurray continuity! ... and, yes, I get that different studios have license to different segments of the Marvel universe). Marvel's popularity encourages fans of other IPs to want to "unify" the disparate elements of that specific genre. So, it suddenly matters to (some) people whether The Force Awakens takes place in the same "universe" as KOTOR, SWTOR, SW: Rebels, and all the myriad books, comics, fanfic, and pamphlets I've never read.

Personally, I could not care less.

No kidding...I don't get it either.

Who cares? It's ALL pretend. Even if something is made "canon", it can STILL be altered...it DOES NOT matter!!! They could go back and re-do episode 1-6 if they wanted to. This obsession with canon is unhealthy. Enjoy what you have when you have it, don't dwell on fiction so much. $$ is the only thing that matters to businesses, not canon.

I have no idea. I blame Marvel. They went and integrated all their little film franchises into a single mangled universe (albeit one in which teenaged Quicksilver can help break Magneto out of prison in 1973 and die as a young man on a floating city in 2015 ... Hurray continuity! ... and, yes, I get that different studios have license to different segments of the Marvel universe). Marvel's popularity encourages fans of other IPs to want to "unify" the disparate elements of that specific genre. So, it suddenly matters to (some) people whether The Force Awakens takes place in the same "universe" as KOTOR, SWTOR, SW: Rebels, and all the myriad books, comics, fanfic, and pamphlets I've never read.

Personally, I could not care less.

Canon/Not Canon discussions surrounding Star Wars have been around since decades before the Marvel Cinematic Universe kicked off its trends in popular fiction.

Self-quoting from within the same thread might be bad form, but it was over three months ago, so what the heck:

Does the issue of what is or is not "Canon" matter in the way that war in the Middle East, global climate change, or Asia's volatile economy matter? No, of course not (and to be fair, some fans might benefit from taking a breath and reminding themselves of that from time to time :p).

But within the context of talking about an entertainment product and its fictional universe? Yeah, it can matter - because the stories told in such a shared universe aren't all self-contained, and once you have story arcs and character development that spans multiple works, then continuity between those works starts to impact how effective that storytelling is.

A New Hope told a self-contained story about blowing up the (first) Death Star, but the story of Luke Skywalker growing from "

" whiny farmboy to "you've failed, your highness, I am a Jedi, like my father before me" Jedi Knight was told over all three Original Trilogy movies - and that story only works because Return of the Jedi built on The Empire Strikes Back, which in turn built on A New Hope. And how that story progresses from there depends on the continuity that extends beyond that trilogy - does Luke's arc continue on to becoming Grand Master of the revitalized New Jedi Order as well as a husband and father, or does he become a 'crazy old hermit' and disappear from the galactic stage until he is found by a former stormtrooper and a junkyard girl? (I don't know if that's actually what happens - just throwing it out there as how the trailers kind of make it look to me)

What's "Canon" versus what's not matters to the ongoing Star Wars fiction because they aren't continuing any stories from the "Legends" EU (the ongoing story in SWTOR is the only exception at this point).

The evolving story of how Princess Leia became a political leader of the New Republic, married Han Solo, had three kids, had to bury two of them, and became a Jedi Knight isn't going to get another chapter added to it (under the current plans). The story of how Princess Leia became "the General" is one that will still be told and will presumably be fleshed out over multiple tie-in novels, comics, etc. The story of how the Imperial Remnant became the Fel Empire isn't going to be told, but the story of where the First Order came from will be.

If the Rakata Infinite Empire is part of Canon, then the story of that Empire might continue and evolve in the various works that continue to be put out - as it was in the Dawn of the Jedi comics, for example. If it remains "Legends", then the only stories we will see involving it will be in SWTOR itself.

(For the record, I do not think that the appearance of Rakata Prime on a map means that the Infinite Empire is now Canon, let alone the broader KotOR and SWTOR stories as a whole - that's not how it works - I'm just pointing out why the question of whether or not it is, or might become, Canon might matter to the ongoing fictional universe and some fans' potential enjoyment of that universe.)

Edited by DarthDymond

With a lot of the SWTOR timeline stuff coming into effect in "current day" star wars, it only stand to reason this stuff is Canon. Also, there's this article on PC Gamer where they state that they can't have a star wars game unless its Canon.

http://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-why-star-wars-battlefront-cant-have-force-awakens-content/

So, either this game is making too much money for EA & Lucasfilm, or it's canon. Or maybe both?

With a lot of the SWTOR timeline stuff coming into effect in "current day" star wars, it only stand to reason this stuff is Canon. Also, there's this article on PC Gamer where they state that they can't have a star wars game unless its Canon.

http://www.pcgamer.com/this-is-why-star-wars-battlefront-cant-have-force-awakens-content/

So, either this game is making too much money for EA & Lucasfilm, or it's canon. Or maybe both?

'As long as it doesn't violate the Canon of Star Wars' is different from it being canon. You can make up pretty much what you want as long as it fits into the canon rules and doesn't break the established timelines. One of the reasons for The Old Republic (and the 2 previous games) being set so far in the past from the films' point of view was because it would be easier to do things without treading on the Canon's storyline.

Edited by CrazyCT

Malachore/Malacor, Ossus, and Korriban/Moraband are all in the canon now and some of the lore from the ancient era is also alluded to (like Ossus suffering some unnamed cataclysm). I'm hoping they further it by namedropping a few ancient/TOR era characters in episodes of Rebels, books, or the movies. While I'd like Sith Purebloods to become canon, I don't think it will happen. Thankfully the Massassai on Yavin 4 and their Sith connection exist in the new-canon, at least.

As far as I go, would love to see the ancient lords of the Sith like Ragnos and Sadow mentioned in some capacity. I'd rather they not get a samurai-overhaul like Bane did in TCW. But really, mostly interested for some Tales of the Jedi lore and characters to make it in. KJA is far from my favorite author of SW, but some of his stuff (and the coauthor's) introduced the groundwork for characters and scenarios that could really shine in a book or just reworked into the canon. Pssst, I want Exar Kun to be canon more than any other Old Republic era character. I'm holding out hope Luke's academy that failed in new-canon is still on Yavin 4, haha.

So - I want to see the Great Sith War And the Mandalorian Wars as canon, if just a footnote in a tie-in book.

And yeah, I guess they should add in Revan's arc and times in eventually because he's really popular (this is why Boba Fett isn't/wasn't dead and Darth Maul survived being cut in half, no?). It can't hurt. Revan getting mention with Kylo's background or him fascinated with Revan's journey would work well. Disney wants $ and Revan = $$.

No KotFE in the new canon please. It just isn't Star Wars enough. Kind of fun to play and I want to see the resolution on TOR, but I'll pass on having to endure it a second time, but Disney-fied. I'd prefer seeing a small bit about how Malgus did rise to become Emperor of a Sith empire, and then he was assassinated by traditionalists and the Sith were thrown into chaos (again). Anything but the Zakuul stuff in neo-canon.

Edited by corytect

I have no idea. I blame Marvel. They went and integrated all their little film franchises into a single mangled universe (albeit one in which teenaged Quicksilver can help break Magneto out of prison in 1973 and die as a young man on a floating city in 2015 ... Hurray continuity! ... and, yes, I get that different studios have license to different segments of the Marvel universe).

And yet, clearly you DON'T get that different studios have a license to "different segments" of the Marvel universe, or you would understand that THERE IS NO CONTINUITY BETWEEN STUDIO PICTURES. The X-Men movies are NOT in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, they are in their own continuity so OF COURSE the two Quicksilvers are IN NO WAY related. Only the MCU movies are in one non-mangled, clearly-defined, and well thought-out universe.

This basic lack of understanding basically renders your entire argument null and void...

And yet, it doesn't stand to reason. SWTOR is not canon. It was created before everything "EU" was banished to "Legends" status. It MAY become canon or cherry-picked for new canon elements. But you are wrong in thinking that SWTOR falls under the "can't have a Star Wars game unless it's canon" umbrella.

Malachore/Malacor, Ossus, and Korriban/Moraband are all in the canon now and some of the lore from the ancient era is also alluded to (like Ossus suffering some unnamed cataclysm). .

There is also a few other planets that were made cannon or their books description cannon in both universes. Coruscant was created in the books and named by Timothy Zahn 4 years before it appeared in The Phantom Menace years later. The description of how the Hutts were ruling over Tatooine was described in books then used in The Phantom menace. Those are another 2 that I remember. Could probably find more if I took the time to look them up.

There is also a few other planets that were made cannon or their books description cannon in both universes. Coruscant was created in the books and named by Timothy Zahn 4 years before it appeared in The Phantom Menace years later. The description of how the Hutts were ruling over Tatooine was described in books then used in The Phantom menace. Those are another 2 that I remember. Could probably find more if I took the time to look them up.

I really REALLY hope the book "shadows of the empire" is made canon. Good fill in for the year Han Solo was in Carbonite plus I like Dash Rendar.

I really REALLY hope the book "shadows of the empire" is made canon. Good fill in for the year Han Solo was in Carbonite plus I like Dash Rendar.

IG-88 is Canon. Would like to see some of the Black Sun influence - I bet we will see in the Rebels movie

I'd rather them keep the Legends Universe and the Disneyverse as separate as possible.

Why?

For a couple of reasons actually.

1) To use Disney's own (probably wrong) reasoning as to why they had to make the EU not canon, it would be confusing for people.

To have one universe where this is canon, and another universe where some of that is canon, but not everything else, would get very confusing really quickly. And it already has, with people asking "Which books are part of the Disneyverse?:

2) Another (Probably Wrong) reason as to why they said the EU shouldn't be canon is so that they could use "Maximum Creative Freedom" So far from that "Creative Freedom" I have seen (Correct me if I missed somehting)

-An episode 4 remake.

-A lightsaber that doesn't make a lot of sense

-A tie fighter that gives "More Visibility", yet the creaters never had played any Star Wars fighter simulator where visibility was NEVER a problem.

-Another planet destroying Death Star (Hey look, it kills 5 planets at once!) Also, what's the chance of one star system having 6 inhabited planets (the 5 starkiller base destroyed, and the 1 that they saw the destruction from. And don't tell me they where in different Star Systems, because that makes even less sense)

-And a whole lot of stuff taken from the EU because they couldn't think of anything else.

So no, you killed the EU to get your "Creative Freedom" so use it.

-------------------------------

I don't care much about "Canon" or "Non-Canon" anymore, I just want them to continue the Legends Universe, alongside the main Disneyverse

-Note: The reason I call the reasoning "Probably Wrong" is because they are doing exactly what they said they killed the EU to avoid.

"Creative Freedom?" Nope.

"Avoid a giant universe that would be confusing?" Have you seen how many movies they plan to make of Star Wars? 10 for now, and I believe that Disney said that they will keep on making them until the end of time (So Weird Al was right) . How quickly until that gets confusing. so Nope

"Inconsistencies?" First off, the EU didn't really have that many. Whenever people say this, they almost never can actually name an actual one. But Han being able to jump into the atmosphere of a planet is a pretty big violation of how Hyperspace works. I mean, if Han could do it, why can't a Rebel faction just jump a ship full of nukes into the atmosphere of Coruscant and annihilate the Imperial Palace while good guy palpy is there? Problem solved.

/endrant