scammer got me

jstankaroslo

I liked the idea of getting rid of decimals completely and rounding to the nearest whole number. After all. we don't pay fractions of a credit for anything, nor do we earn fractions of credits. Everything is done in whole numbers. The GTN should be no different.

First off: I agree completely, and as Menace said above, regardless of how you want to cut the semantics of 'scam,' the GTN is piss-poorly designed.

However: the *only* thing I see wrong with this suggestion (though I think it could be 'resolved') is how does it sort the 'true' lowest price? If due to my greater number of individual items, my rounded per-unit price is actually lower than yours (yes, by fractions of a credit), how does the GTN display mine above yours?

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually yes, yes it IS a scam no matter how bad (or, more confusingly, WHY) you want it NOT to be. Right from your green highlighted portion Bioware says "For us, it would be impossible to tell if a user was posting an item at a higher value to try to "scam" another user, or simply because that is what they want to sell it for. "

They CLEARLY demonstrate that they recognize a user posting an item at an inflated value is a "scam."

Thanks for clearing it up for us, though.

If they thought it was a scam they woudlnt have put quotation marks around the word.

First off: I agree completely, and as Menace said above, regardless of how you want to cut the semantics of 'scam,' the GTN is piss-poorly designed.

However: the *only* thing I see wrong with this suggestion (though I think it could be 'resolved') is how does it sort the 'true' lowest price? If due to my greater number of individual items, my rounded per-unit price is actually lower than yours (yes, by fractions of a credit), how does the GTN display mine above yours?

I wouldn't make a difference. Highest stack is 99 items. If your price would be lower by 0,9 credit, then the whole stack would be cheaper by 89 credits. Buyer could see that in 'price' tab if not in 'price per item' tab.

If not, they would be short of whoopin 89 credits :D

Never mind your entirely false previous post. You still haven't explained WHY it is so important to you to post multiple times at this thread effectively defending the scumbags of GTN?

some people here post to discuss the problem at hand. Some people, you included, spend all their energy to dismiss the problem

it's not about defending anyone.

it's about putting blame where it belongs.

and 100% of the blame rests on you in this circumstance.

The victim-blaming that goes on in these kinds of threads is pretty sad. I'm betting a lot of the people who do it either think they're too smart to ever fall for it (hint: you're not), or are actively trying to take advantage of it.
who's the victim here? i see some people trying to play the victim, but no actual victim.

if i walk into a puddle and wet my shoes, i'm not a victim, i'm a dope that should have not stepped in it.

I've made the mistake before sure. but i recognize it was my own stupid mistake and didnt try to blame other people or vilify them.

Edited by Pagy

All of you that insist that this is not a scam please stop and use your brain! Of course it is a scam! They are listing things to intentionally try to fool the buyer! That is a scam if you fell for it or not! It is the intent that makes it a scam, no matter if it is a simply avoidable one of not!

If you are having trouble wrapping your head around that look at it this way. If a thief tries to break into your house but is stopped by your alarm system but goes down three houses and loots your neighbors house are you going to swear that they are not a thief and it was your neighbor's fault because they didn't have a alarm system? That is how stupid this sounds to me!

All of you that insist that this is not a scam please stop and use your brain! Of course it is a scam! They are listing things to intentionally try to fool the buyer! That is a scam if you fell for it or not! It is the intent that makes it a scam, no matter if it is a simply avoidable one of not!

If you are having trouble wrapping your head around that look at it this way. If a thief tries to break into your house but is stopped by your alarm system but goes down three houses and loots your neighbors house are you going to swear that they are not a thief and it was your neighbor's fault because they didn't have a alarm system? That is how stupid this sounds to me!

are you having trouble wrapping your head around people not being able to properly read numbers?

numbers cant lie

They really should just cut off the .00 from the price and this problem is solved.

The SWTOR GTN model is the WORST implementation than in any of the active MMO's today. WHY it has not seen a major overhaul by now is just mind blowing to me.

Give us the option to put a per unit price in when we sell an item. Instead of rounding up, it should say "invalid amount" until you get an amount that wouldn't have decimals in it.

Edited by beattlebilly

They really should just cut off the .00 from the price and this problem is solved.

The SWTOR GTN model is the WORST implementation than in any of the active MMO's today. WHY it has not seen a major overhaul by now is just mind blowing to me.

Because it works fine aside from sorting issues and the issues with searching for 2 letter words in items.

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Answer me this.

Is there anything on the current GTN that is preventing you from listing items for whatever price you want and buying items for w/e price other people want atm? If the answer is no, then it's working fine for it's intended use.

are you having trouble wrapping your head around people not being able to properly read numbers?

numbers cant lie

All you are telling me is that if you are careful you won't fall for a scam. That does not mean that it isn't a scam, if anything you are confirming it! The evidence is there, there is intent to scam buyers. Please tell me how it is not a scam.

All you are telling me is that if you are careful you won't fall for a scam. That does not mean that it isn't a scam, if anything you are confirming it! The evidence is there, there is intent to scam buyers. Please tell me how it is not a scam.
except this isnt a scam

the price is clearly labelled

can you not read it?

Are you incapable of telling the difference between two prices?

Because it works fine aside from sorting issues and the issues with searching for 2 letter words in items.

"if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Answer me this.

Is there anything on the current GTN that is preventing you from listing items for whatever price you want and buying items for w/e price other people want atm? If the answer is no, then it's working fine for it's intended use.

Yeah, a turboprop engine did fine for intercontinental travel too but it took forever. A jet engine then is just a luxury?

(Yeah, bad analogy but your reliance on the 'if it ain't broke' mantra isn't much better!)

The GTN is clunky. Regardless of whether this is a 'scam' or not, the real issue is the GTN's UI can use a do-over - just like any number of UIs in this game.

Answer me this one question, just one, did the seller intentionally post the price in a fashion to try and fool the buyer?

Answer me this one question, just one, can you prove with 100% certainty that the seller in question was trying to fool the buyer?

Answer me this one question, just one, can you prove with 100% certainty that the seller in question was trying to fool the buyer?

Since common sense dictates that barring the seller being mentally ill, no competent person thinks a single unit of adaptive circruitry sells for 1.117 billion credits, ....yes, yes we can.

Edited by Princess_Chibi

Since common sense dictates that barring the seller being mentally ill, no competent person thinks a single unit of adaptive circruitry sells for 1.117 billion credits, ....yes, yes we can.

Common sense would also dictate since every tool you need is there to prevent it from happening, including one where you could set a spending limit, no competent person could purchase said item.

So no...no you can't.

Answer me this one question, just one, did the seller intentionally post the price in a fashion to try and fool the buyer?
speculating intent is pointless.

how can you fool someone with a price that is clearly listed, that is sortable and filterable?

it's a clearly listed number. most 7 yr olds would be able to tell the difference. this is the fault of the buyer, and no one else