scammer got me

jstankaroslo

I just bought 1 permarcrete for over 8mil credits.

My bad.

I knew there are scammers who pray on people's mistakes. I even fought them placing 1 item for 999999999 to have it on top of the list -so that it's red color states clearly this is the highest price. Didn't pay attention today/

No one will convince me that these people don't do this counting on honest mistakes.

Well, 8 mil isn't that much to me. I'll get it back selling uni prefabs next week.

Still hurts.

The thought that scumbags share the same entertainment as me: SWTOR

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be prepared for vultures to descend and start mocking you and claiming it isn't a scam :rolleyes: But I feel your pain, because this happened to me too. All it takes is being on auto pilot buying mats and misreading a comma for a period and you're screwed.

I was out 20 mill after buying a few stacks of archaeology mats for 3mill each that I thought were 300k each... that was over a year ago and I've been super paranoid ever since.

I tend to report people I see trying to scam on the GTN but have no clue if it does any good.

Still waiting for you to tell us how a scammer got you, e.g., how someone made you pay more credits without your knowledge until after the sale went through (assuming you're not making the whole thing up for some bizarre reason).

If the cheapest on the GTN is 2,400.45 credits and the most expensive is listed at 2,400,450 credits there's really no question that someone is trying to confuse a buyer who isn't paying attention.

Dishonest selling practices and trying to confuse the buyer = scam, sorry.

Nobody lists a mat that sells for 2k for 2mill without having bad intentions.

In real life everyone would agree something like that was dishonest, but in a video game, people like to pretend they have no clue why that's bad. Probably because they're the ones doing it to people.

Edited by CommunityDroidEU
rude part removed

This is the type of QOL changes that we need, rather than the nerfs, etc. that Bioware prefers to give us. I've fallen for it too, losing millions and killing my interest i the game. It doesn't matter anymore for me, though. Here since beta, we're finally gone once our current subs expire.

Be prepared for vultures to descend and start mocking you and claiming it isn't a scam :rolleyes: But I feel your pain, because this happened to me too. All it takes is being on auto pilot buying mats and misreading a comma for a period and you're screwed.

I was out 20 mill after buying a few stacks of archaeology mats for 3mill each that I thought were 300k each... that was over a year ago and I've been super paranoid ever since.

I tend to report people I see trying to scam on the GTN but have no clue if it does any good.

I am prepared. Just we'll see who possess decent ethics here on who doesn't, won't we? :)

I even stopped to watch this price for a bit, it looked legitimate to me. Somehow it wasn't.

Again: nothing big happened. I just wish I could stop seeing a sleazy of a griefer every time I think "Star Wars fan", or "video games enthusiast". :(

Edited by CommunityDroidEU
profanity removed

This is the type of QOL changes that we need, rather than the nerfs, etc. that Bioware prefers to give us.

I agree and have noticed that the sorting on the GTN seems even worse than it used to be. I have to hit the sort by price tab twice with every search instead of it saving low to high like it used to.

So you search for something and see jumbled prices, click sort and it sorts from high to low. If people do the scam right, *at a glance* it appears they're the cheapest items. I honestly can't comprehend how any sane or honest player would not agree this is a scam.

[quote=Beltane;866735

If the cheapest on the GTN is 2,400.45 credits and the most expensive is listed at 2,400,450 credits there's really no question that someone is trying to confuse a buyer who isn't paying attention.

Dishonest selling practices and trying to confuse the buyer = scam, sorry.

Nobody lists a mat that sells for 2k for 2mill without having bad intentions.

Yeah that sure sucks, i agree when you list stuff like 2,400.45 credits and the most expensive is listed at 2,400,450 credits they are trying to catch ppl out. Shady as fook a lesson to be learned.

And here we go with the "someone who does not know the definition of the word 'scam'" mentality.

But I suspect the OP has achieved his goal since the odds are strong it's just a troll post.

I understand you, really. Since you do here nothing else than trolling (I failed to see ONE constructive post from you in a year or so) it is clear all you ever expect is trolling here

And here we go with the "someone who does not know the definition of the word 'scam'" mentality.

But I suspect the OP has achieved his goal since the odds are strong it's just a troll post.

scam (skăm) Informal

n.

A fraudulent business scheme; a swindle.

fraud (frôd)

n.

1. A deception practiced in order to induce another to give up possession of property or surrender a right.

2. A piece of trickery; a trick.

swin·dle (swĭn′dl)

v. swin·dled, swin·dling, swin·dles

v.tr.

1. To cheat or defraud of money or property.

2. To obtain by fraudulent means: swindled money from the company.

v.intr.

To practice fraud as a means of obtaining money or property.

Because trying to CONFUSE a buyer and hope they buy something they never intended to buy is totally not trying to trick people, not at all. :rolleyes:

My bad.

I knew there are scammers who pray on people's mistakes. I even fought them placing 1 item for 999999999 to have it on top of the list -so that it's red color states clearly this is the highest price. Didn't pay attention today/

No one will convince me that these people don't do this counting on honest mistakes.

Well, 8 mil isn't that much to me. I'll get it back selling uni prefabs next week.

Still hurts.

how is this a scam.

the price is clearly listed, and you bought it.

It isn't really a scam, and I can tell you why people put things on the market like this, I don't do this myself but I do use the items put up like this in the same way:

You will note that items priced like this are always plentiful. The purpose of putting an item that sells around 100k for 1 billion is that you can enter a portion of the items name in the search box, hit enter, then filter by price. Your 1 billion credit item will naturally be on top, which you can then click to populate the search bar and filter results again, then you can sort by price. This is the fastest and most efficient way to filter prices and determine the current value of an item, saving you from entering the name of the item in full, particularly when they item has a long name or a name similar to other items such that entering only a portion of it would yield mixed results.

Next time you are searching for an item that is quite common try filtering the list with the knowledge that someone has put the item up for a billion credits and see how easy it is to find exactly what you are looking for, its an old mmo market trick.

It isn't an attempt to scam you, it is an attempt to manipulate the filtering system so that it is easier to use.

Edited by PulseRazor

If I paid by credit card I could charge it back. This exists for a reason
are you comparing real money and credit with star wars video game money that you gather from killing giant space lizards? Edited by Pagy

My bad.

Still hurts.

You're right, of course. They capitalize on others' mistakes. I really despise such people.

It makes me wonder about people who defend the scam. What kind of broken personality would stand up for people deliberately exploiting gtn users?

Edited by Hebruixe

Because trying to CONFUSE a buyer and hope they buy something they never intended to buy is totally not trying to trick people, not at all. :rolleyes:
items on the gtn are listed at a numerical price.

the number is absolute and can't lie.

i learned number sense and numeration in the first grade.

so i suppose, yes, this could be a scam if i went to kindergarten somewhere and tried to trick children that couldn't understand how to properly understand how to read numbers and magnitudes.

Edited by Pagy

It makes me wonder about people who defend the scam. What kind of broken personality would stand up for people deliberately exploiting gtn users?
i'm sorry about it isn't about defending anyone. it's about placing the blame where it belongs.

there's no villain and victim here. there's a seller and a buyer. a buyer that may or may not make a very stupid, avoidable mistake.

are you comparing real money and credit with star wars video game money that you gather from killing giant space lizards?

If something is a scam in real life and someone does it in a video game, it's a scam in the video game too.

so i suppose, yes, this could be a scam if i went to kindergarten somewhere and tried to trick children that couldn't understand how to properly understand how to read numbers and magnitudes.

Scams are built around tricking people. By your logic if anyone falls for, say, an insurance scam it wasn't really a scam because they fell for it. Try again.

Everyone playing dumb is proving they're dishonest people.

Edited by Beltane

Seems like an honest mistake on the buyers part to me. Always sort the GTN to show the lowest price first. I've never had this happen to me personally but could see it happening to someone, myself included, if not paying attention.

If something is a scam in real life and someone does it in a video game, it's a scam in the video game too.
how is listing an item with a clearly labelled price in real life a "scam"?

Scams are built around tricking people. By your logic if anyone falls for, say, an insurance scam it wasn't really a scam because they fell for it. Try again.

Everyone playing dumb is proving they're dishonest people.

except an insurance scam may in fact be a scam, and this GTN example absolutely is not one?

if you want to use an anology to paint a comparion, you may what to actually describe the scenario in a better fashion than "insurance scam ergo GTN scam" it seems like an non-argument.

how's your GTN sales income today? feeling satisfied?

Do you also put these numbers on a credit card terminal in a shop you work for?

In my book anyone who defends such practices has no ethic backbone.

If that happened to a new player (which is most likely aimed at) it could discourage them from the game.

Edited by jstankaroslo

how's your GTN sales income today? feeling satisfied?
i dont accomplish much on the gtn given that i only pvp.

Do you also put these numbers on a credit card terminal in a shop you work for?
what on earth are you even talking about?

In my book anyone who defends such practices has no ethic backbone.

If that happened to a new player (which is most likely aimed at) it could discourage them from the game.

it has nothing to do with being ethical.

actually that's not true. i think buyer's remorse and placing blame on the seller when it was clearly a buyer's mistake is playing the victim and unethical.

instead of blaming others' for your own avoidable mistakes; take accountability, learn, and don't make the same mistake twice.

Edited by Pagy

making a thread because you got scammed for 8 mil? i bought an augment for 50 mil last week, thinking it is 50k. shame on customer service for not helping with such mistakes, especially if the players have a scam / hack / exploit-free record.

seriously, player loses 2 months of work and cs does nothing? it's pathetic.

why didn't they get rid of the decimals, which don't display in our inventory screen, yet anyway?

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.