To the folks who feel heroics 2+ are too grindy

Oldsailor

I try to see things from both sides. IMHO the end game "grind" was put in place by the developers for content to do to keep you playing till they release new content. (And yes they probably took in account that there would be folks that unsubbed, but still could do them as pref.) There are over 70 heroic 2+ per side, about 150 total in game. For the alliance grind, they all drop lockboxes. I'm afraid I do like to do things easy and fast so I do a lot of the lower level ones. (I can still do the higher level ones, but I agree they take more time to do, so I don't do them.) But you have to admit the developers tried to lessen the time to do them. There are now terminals to get all the planet heroics in one place. And an icon for instant travel. Plus there is no longer run back to turn in when completed. Can you imagine what the time/grind would be if those weren't in place? And the lockboxes are bound to legacy, not bound.

I really don't see a problem here.

I try to see things from both sides. IMHO the end game "grind" was put in place by the developers for content to do to keep you playing till they release new content. (And yes they probably took in account that there would be folks that unsubbed, but still could do them as pref.) There are over 70 heroic 2+ per side, about 150 total in game. For the alliance grind, they all drop lockboxes. I'm afraid I do like to do things easy and fast so I do a lot of the lower level ones. (I can still do the higher level ones, but I agree they take more time to do, so I don't do them.) But you have to admit the developers tried to lessen the time to do them. There are now terminals to get all the planet heroics in one place. And an icon for instant travel. Plus there is no longer run back to turn in when completed. Can you imagine what the time/grind would be if those weren't in place? And the lockboxes are bound to legacy, not bound.

Now try imagining doing those 70 heroics on multiple alts... Oh boy.

If they hadnt spent 8 months encouraging everyone to roll as many alts as possible with their 12x XP and level 60 tokens, you may have a point.

But they did.

That is where they, until now, have steered the longevity to come from.

I was thinking about bringing this up on the forums myself. While I understand it doesn't alleviate the problem some players have with how long the Heroic 2+'s take, the amount of time the Heroic 2+ terminal shaves off of running the H2+'s is massive, and I'm pretty much sure it out weighs the alleged "grind" some players are complaining about time-wise.

Edited by cyberglum

I think the problem people have is that they are worried that the Green/Red/Blue ending for the EE story line is going to be tied in some way to how well you built up your alliance. Sure you could argue having *1* character with a maxed out alliance should be enough, but some people really like their alts and don't want the bad ending on all of them. Edited by StarMagus

I think the problem people have is that they are worried that the Green/Red/Blue ending for the EE story line is going to be tied in some way to how well you built up your alliance. Sure you could argue having *1* character with a maxed out alliance should be enough, but some people really like their alts and don't want the bad ending on all of them.

Agreed, but I feel the number of alts is a reflection of how much you play the game. And I really don't see the end coming till end 2016 at the earliest. The problem as I see it is the folks that want to level all their alts immediately with alliance rep. Part of the problem is it takes about a day to finish new story content. So you can level up all your alts fairly fast. Then continue to grind alliance rep at a leisurely pace till they announce new storyline content is coming.

I am sincerly hoping that you dont need influence lvl 50 for all the 20+ ( and more to come later) compagnions you can have and its just a mechanic for crafting and boosting there presence stat I will literally commit suicide if I have to grind that much not even old school Korean MMOs were that bad. I also canceled my sub until January.. I dont see the point in paying for november and december im getting 0 things out of it and with the CAD being so low.. well its freakin 40$ I get to keep in my pocket and not going to waste.

The story won't end until 2016, but who knows when/if alliance stuff will effect things. It could as early as Jan 2016 with chapter 10. The problem is that we as players have no idea what if any influence on things it will have and during the huge bonus exp boost before 4.0 came out some of us with nothing else to do in the game ((grinding gear was pointless as it was going to be replaced really quickly)) we played our alts, alts that you could max out in a very short period of time.

Having 16 alts and looking at what you would have to do to have them all Rank 20 alliances... wow.. that's a lot of stuff. even if you can 160 Heroics a Week. That's going to a maxed out alliance every 2 weeks, or 2 a month or 8 months of grinding heroics. Granted, I doubt anybody will do that, but considering there are no new raids, nothing really new with PvP, the only end game is alliance games... what else are people going to do with their time in the game... level more alts? :eek:

I am sincerly hoping that you dont need influence lvl 50 for all the 20+ ( and more to come later) compagnions you can have and its just a mechanic for crafting and boosting there presence stat I will literally commit suicide if I have to grind that much not even old school Korean MMOs were that bad. I also canceled my sub until January.. I dont see the point in paying for november and december im getting 0 things out of it and with the CAD being so low.. well its freakin 40$ I get to keep in my pocket and not going to waste.

Yeah I had this scary thought... what if bioware makes any companion with under say rank 40 influence die in the final battle with the EE. :tran_eek:

Oh since we are playing a fantasy land 'what-if' game, how about..

What if they added new content for Alliance instead of recycled old content?

What if they added Alliance content with more story and less grind?

What if they doubled or trebled the rewards for Alliance grind content?

What if Alliance reputation and companions were legacy based?

What if they didn't implement level-sync?

So while you can play the 'what-if' to make it appear as if it is fine as is simply because it could have been worse, so to can we can easily play the same 'what-if' game to show how it could have been better / less grindy.

Pointless thread is pointless.

Edited by DawnAskham

I too am having problems seeing how the Planetary Heroic 2+ can be considered "too grindy". It takes NO time to get to the H2 area. It takes as little as 1 min to do some of them and the vast majority take less than 10 min to complete. As soon as you complete the quest you are given your reward at which point you can zone directly to the next quest.

How is this a grind??? Zero travel time to the quest, 1-10 min to do the quest, instant reward then on to the next one.

I am what many people call a casual player in that my play time is limited, I do not "min-max" my character, do not PVP, do not run Ops and only rarely do I run a solo or tactical FP, no hard modes at all. And yet I ripped through 5 H2s in 30 min before I went to work this morning using my trusty BH with Mako healing me just fine.

Please tell me how that can possible be considered a grind.

I too am having problems seeing how the Planetary Heroic 2+ can be considered "too grindy". It takes NO time to get to the H2 area. It takes as little as 1 min to do some of them and the vast majority take less than 10 min to complete. As soon as you complete the quest you are given your reward at which point you can zone directly to the next quest.

How is this a grind??? Zero travel time to the quest, 1-10 min to do the quest, instant reward then on to the next one.

I am what many people call a casual player in that my play time is limited, I do not "min-max" my character, do not PVP, do not run Ops and only rarely do I run a solo or tactical FP, no hard modes at all. And yet I ripped through 5 H2s in 30 min before I went to work this morning using my trusty BH with Mako healing me just fine.

Please tell me how that can possible be considered a grind.

I totally agree as mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm sure the whole point will be glossed-over tho', we've already had a "pointless thread is pointless" post. People seem to enjoy complaining and bickering with each other in rather juvenile ways than actually look at something from a different angle in an attempt to see a positive side.

Personally, with the present amount of grind needed to max out alliance on just one toon plus get influence up with more than one companion, I have parked 7 of my 8 toons and have no interest in doing it on them. Especially post companion nerf, far too much time required to do each toon. And the grinding boredom of doing all those planetary h2s for all those boxes for all 8 toons. Ugh. No. Just NO. Not doing it.

Now try imagining you don't have to if you don't want to. Like many, it seems, I am doing KotFE on one character in each faction and that's it.

While many may be doing that, that doesn't seem to be anything like the majority. Bioware practically encouraged the creation of alts with the boost to exp before the expac.

Oh since we are playing a fantasy land 'what-if' game, how about..

What if they added new content for Alliance instead of recycled old content?

What if they added Alliance content with more story and less grind?

What if they doubled or trebled the rewards for Alliance grind content?

What if Alliance reputation and companions were legacy based?

What if they didn't implement level-sync?

So while you can play the 'what-if' to make it appear as if it is fine as is simply because it could have been worse, so to can we can easily play the same 'what-if' game to show how it could have been better / less grindy.

Pointless thread is pointless.

I think you missed the point. The developers have tried to make the "grind" less time consuming there is no what if to the heroic mission terminals, instant travel and instant rewards. They exist in game now. Can the combat time/effort in several higher end heroic 2+ be improved? Of course. But again, this is probably a low priority with so many bugs and other issues. And there are work arounds.

Honestly, I don't see why anyone would think that they would require companions to be level 50. There are few places in the story where you need a particular companion to be a certain strength. Actually, the only one I can think of was the Jedi Knight part where:

You need T7 to fight the Emperor. But even there, they added a vendor in the dark temple on the way to him where you can buy gear for him.

So I really don't see that they would require such a commitment in this instance. It seems especially unlikely that they would require more than 1 companion to be high Influence. The whole point of making companions role-agnostic is so that you can use whichever one you want.

While many may be doing that, that doesn't seem to be anything like the majority. Bioware practically encouraged the creation of alts with the boost to exp before the expac.

Perhaps, but I have 30 alts level 60+, and the idea that I would bother to try get all of them through KOTFE then building the Alliance seems absurd to me. KOTFE seems much more alt-unfriendly than friendly.

You don't have to adventure with a companion to raise their influence.

I made a 60 Jedi Knight, and started with Lana. Got her to Influence 43 or so and noticed that there were hundreds and hundreds of Lana's running around and so used the comp locator to find Kira. I continued to adventure with Lana until I got enough crystals and money to get Kira to 30 or so and then flipped over to using her. I plan on maxing Kira, and then focusing on the other companions.

I think you missed the point. The developers have tried to make the "grind" less time consuming there is no what if to the heroic mission terminals, instant travel and instant rewards. They exist in game now. Can the combat time/effort in several higher end heroic 2+ be improved? Of course. But again, this is probably a low priority with so many bugs and other issues. And there are work arounds.

I think you missed the point - the developers created the Alliance grind as it is in the first place, they didn't do anything to lessen the grind.

You seriously think most players are taking multiple alts through KotFE, including the alliance influence grind? Maybe a lot of people are doing the chapters, but I highly doubt many are doing the alliance grind on multiple characters.

Perhaps, but I have 30 alts level 60+, and the idea that I would bother to try get all of them through KOTFE then building the Alliance seems absurd to me. KOTFE seems much more alt-unfriendly than friendly.

It depends on what level of content you are talking about. Getting them to 65 is faster than going from 55-60 was in SoR.

It depends on what level of content you are talking about. Getting them to 65 is faster than going from 55-60 was in SoR.

Leveling from 60 to 65 has nothing to do with KotFE (aside from the fact that doing KotFE and related activities will get your character to 65). Master-Nala's post was about doing KotFE and the alliance grind on multiple characters, not about leveling to 65.

Edited by branmakmuffin