NO ONE will care about the voice acting in one more month.

Gunfox

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Wars and the story is the ONLY thing that draws me to this MMO in the first place. I have played months in BETA and have yet to find the story as "trival" or "meaningless". If there is one thing that sets SWTOR apart from any other MMO it IS the story and the voice acting. Where else can you find an MMO that has eight classes with their own seperate storyline that has some pretty decent voice acting? Where? No where is the answer.

DCUOs 6 mentors, and WoW has voices in many of its class quests (bosses usually).

WoW also has race based story lines.

And if voice acting is all you need to sell you a story, get twilight on audiobook. Makes it amazing.

Voice acting is all fine and dandy, but the resources they poured onto it

and things that are disappointing in terms of content.. Let's just say

they should have just poured abit more into the content.

Look at it this way, while we were all waiting for the game.

Black Talon showed up with videos, WOW so much immersion..

Then you play the game, WOW It's GREAT!

Then you get to Hammer Station.. Whut?

Then you get to Athiss.. Whut?

I did not do any after that... -Sighs-

LOL some people just dont like anything. I'm having the most fun in an MMO in years. The voice acting is great and if you want to skip it fine...then its still more fun than wow or other mmo's without the voice over. To the person that said wow has better story lines if you read the quests....ROFLMAO!!!

DCUOs 6 mentors, and WoW has voices in many of its class quests (bosses usually).

WoW also has race based story lines.

And if voice acting is all you need to sell you a story, get twilight on audiobook. Makes it amazing.

But Blizzard's writers have all the literary skill of high school students.

They've butchered their lore. Even if they added VO to every quest, it's still a really bad Warhammer knock-off universe, just like Starcraft is just Warhammer 40k for children.

Even Bioware's worst story writing is better than Blizzard's best.

Diablo? Come on, let's make a generic game where we just used 10 different names for Satan as characters.

Blizzard games have good GAMEPLAY, but story wise they're TERRIBLE.

They've butchered their lore. Even if they added VO to every quest, it's still a really bad Warhammer knock-off universe, just like Starcraft is just Warhammer 40k for children.

Diablo? Come on, let's make a generic game where we just used 10 different names for Satan as characters.

Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of love and fond memories of WoW, but all the above is truth.

I do agree that voice acting will become a little stale. I stopped listening to ever line of dialogue at 31 (when having to hit 32 to get into Quesh), however, once on Quesh I started again. I think on my first play through of any class I'll be listening to it all. I do think it adds a lot to the investment in your character as well (sensible marketing).

You heard it here first :)

I've started to skip every conversation at lvl 22 and pick my answers at random now, only paying attention to good / light side points.

Everything you say will be pointless after the conversation ends. Everything! I have yet to see a consequence that adds more than more voiceover and in the rarest cases killing one insignificant dude. The stories of the sidequests have the quality of a c-movie at best.

And this is where the major part of the budget went? Sorry, but this makes me laugh.

Will the decisions change your quests? Nope.

Will the decisions change the world or parts of the map? Nope.

Will the decisions change following decisions? Nope.

All they do is adding more pointless, boring textlines.

Will parts of your gear change based on a soulless number counting how "good" or "evil" your decisions were? Well yes, I have to give that point to Bioware.

I'm finished with this boring, pointless abomination called a story.

I really hope the gameplay gets better, but honestly I don't have much hope.

This is an MMO, let us write our OWN stories! Not follow a pointless path some underpaid or just plain bad writer sucked out of his fingers.

If I want a story, I'll go watch a movie or read a book. Gameplay is what counts in a game.

Then you chose the wrong game. Move on. Seriously, just go.

I never said they were good, just pointing out that swtor is nowhere near the first mmo with class based quests or even with voice acting.

And to be honest, I preferred the worgen and death knight quests to the sith inquisitor thus far.

It's a nice gimmick, but sadly it's just that, a gimmick. Voice acting is certainly not the future of MMOs, that's for sure. MMOs are about replay value, you need to be able to play for months on end, so any voice acting gets dreadfully stale. It's also why a story-driven MMO is nothing but a pipe dream. A story-driven MMO is akin to reading the same book over and over and over. Eventually it just gets to the point where it doesn't matter.

I still have fun with it, and it was a nice change of pace. But it's very obvious TOR will be the only one to do it on such a scale.

If one expected SWTOR to be what will change the MMO market, well...

Player driver MMOs are the future, but this "future" will come ONLY when a big company will spend serious effort, time and money to develop one. Player driven as EvE is, but more appealing to the average gamer.

I love the voice acting in this game. I don't take it for granted, I appreciate the hell out of it. I honestly feel like I should play every class just so I can enjoy the voice acting to its fullest. (nolife) I really do think it's amazing. What other game will you find where there are different paths, all voiced fully(except for a few player character repeats along the lines of "Why should I care?" for sith).

I am only answering this as a Star Wars fan myself I have about 6 charactors above lvl 10 to lvl 20 and every time I get to a cinamatic i listen to it yes I am guilty of space baring starting area text but thats because i already know whats going to be said but if i was to make a charator i have not seen yet i will let it play out .. I do believe the story laid out before us is a damn good one I find my self so involed into the game I went by 3 hours and it felt like 1 hour. All i have to say is awesome game and it cured my itch for a new star wars mmo

I love the voicing and I love the story. I'm going to run characters of all classes just to see their stories.

And yes, that will take me longer than 6 months, and I'm pretty sure I will still care about voice-overs by then. Because I'm not going to be grinding this game over and over 24/7 like some people think EVERYONE does like themselves, I'll be taking healthy breaks whenever I feel like it to occupy myself with other things that interest me.

Those generic quest lines that are repeated for every Rep/Imperial side - sure, I will start to skip through some of them eventually. But to say that makes the whole idea of voice-acting in this game a useless feature is just silly.

Bottom line - don't presume to speak for everyone, your thread title is wrong.

speak for yourself.

the 50% reason i am playing this game is that voice acting, dialogues, and kotor 1/2 feel.

30% is star wars, and all the rest constitute only 20%.

people like you had caused abominations like wow, which were derived from diablo 1/2 hack and slash, come to being.

You heard it here first :)

I've started to skip every conversation at lvl 22 and pick my answers at random now, only paying attention to good / light side points.

Everything you say will be pointless after the conversation ends. Everything! I have yet to see a consequence that adds more than more voiceover and in the rarest cases killing one insignificant dude. The stories of the sidequests have the quality of a c-movie at best.

And this is where the major part of the budget went? Sorry, but this makes me laugh.

Will the decisions change your quests? Nope.

Will the decisions change the world or parts of the map? Nope.

Will the decisions change following decisions? Nope.

All they do is adding more pointless, boring textlines.

Will parts of your gear change based on a soulless number counting how "good" or "evil" your decisions were? Well yes, I have to give that point to Bioware.

I'm finished with this boring, pointless abomination called a story.

I really hope the gameplay gets better, but honestly I don't have much hope.

This is an MMO, let us write our OWN stories! Not follow a pointless path some underpaid or just plain bad writer sucked out of his fingers.

If I want a story, I'll go watch a movie or read a book. Gameplay is what counts in a game.

I love the voice acting in this game. I don't take it for granted, I appreciate the hell out of it. I honestly feel like I should play every class just so I can enjoy the voice acting to its fullest. (nolife) I really do think it's amazing. What other game will you find where there are different paths, all voiced fully(except for a few player character repeats along the lines of "Why should I care?" for sith).

you kidding me ...

i am actually leveling SIX different toons all at the same time. different classes. all are about to be 15 soon.

for the first time in a mmo, im not getting bored of leveling and questing.

i was bored at level 7-8 in wow. i get bored very quick.