How To Remove Bitraider and Patch normally.

knowmyname

Short guide on how to remove Bitraider and patch normally. Normal patching seems to work far better than the Bitraider system.

NOTE: this is a complete download again

right mouse click on game shortcut and select open file location

open the launcher.settings file in notepad and locate the below line and edit to the below

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"BR\" }"

Change to:

, "PatchingMode": "{ \"swtor\": \"SSN\" }"

, "bitraider_disable": false

Change to:

, "bitraider_disable": true

SAVE the changes.

Delete the BitRaider, Movie and Asset folders then start the launcher.

or if you have the old version still on another computer , copy all the game folders over to this computer

edit - going BR to SSN is a complete re-download, going SSN to BR isn't

meaning - going from Bitraider to Regular is a full game download of the assets and movies

going from regular to Bitraider is not a full game download.

Edited by knowmyname

you can't remove it for good they installed it with the mmo permanently, the only thing you can do is go in the file location and into the launcher setting and change disable bitraider from "false" to "true" plus \BR"\ to \SSR"\ but that wont matter since they disable us from going into the launcher to patch it up.

I don't understand. I see a lot of posts about disabling Bitraider, but I don't know why. What's bad about Bitraider?

Thanks

My question as well, but I did get a kick out of the BitRaider website. Especially this bit:

Patches While You Play

We automatically bring players the latest version of the game at install.

And with our Patch-On-The-Fly technology, players stay current to your game without losing precious play time.

We go from any version to the latest version and only transfer the delta that makes them completely current, eliminating the usual sequential patching to get to the latest release.

Improve retention by not having large waits for patching, and on F2P, allow for more playing and subsequent buying of in-game items.

We provide you with the patching tools so you retain complete operational independence.

http://www.bitraider.com/#patch-day-pain-is-removed

:jawa_tongue:

I don't understand. I see a lot of posts about disabling Bitraider, but I don't know why. What's bad about Bitraider?

Thanks

Everyone complaining about their patches not finishing are using the BitRaider version of the client. It's never worked properly with SWTOR.

Those of us using the SSN version patched with no issues what so ever.

So, there is no "but" in disabling Bitrader? No side problems? Since I'm definetely not playing the game today, might as well redownload it during night.

Yeah, i am curious about it too. No side effects? Why this crap is even installed with the game then?

The developers that programmed this piece of crap should feel ashamed. It's ridiculous to redownload the whole game to switch to another method of downloading. Any company would have fired me for something like this! The game was fully installed and working yesterday, so why not just patch it with patch that is actually working. Why would anyone code such a complete and utter nonsense?

Yeah, i am curious about it too. No side effects? Why this crap is even installed with the game then?

General reasons are "Becouse **** you, that's why". The more I have to deal with this crap, the more I appreciate GW2 or Warframe clients. "Hey, just download 20% of patch and feel free to start playing!". "Hey, we just patched your game while you were playing! Would you kindly log off at your convinience to recieve the update?"

If we go down this route, what folder(s) do we need to make back-ups of in order to preserve our game settings?

You should be ok since your UI profiles, screenshots, and combat logs and stored is separate locations from the game's installation files.

If you wish to backup your UIs, this is the location:

%appdata%\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings\GUIProfiles

Ah great, i did as you said, now the laucher.settings file is gone, can't undo the stuff and now need to redownload the entire game. :(

Did you make sure You didn't save it as a .txt file on accident?

I always recommend when you're editing .ini files to you a program like Notepad++ as it will save the file in the proper format without you having to do anything other then clicking save.

So, there is no "but" in disabling Bitrader? No side problems? Since I'm definetely not playing the game today, might as well redownload it during night.

You know how it will let you click "play" (with some limitations) before it has finished downloading? That is the point of bitraider. If you ditch bitraider, that is the only downside (lose the ability to "play" prior to the completion of the download). That's how it's supposed to be, in theory. In practice, bitraider causes loads of issues. So I would say that the cost / benefit of having bitraider is leaning heavily on the cost side - not worth it.

BW should ditch bitraider entirely, but they probably have some sort of vested financial interest in it.

Edited by teclado

Did you make sure You didn't save it as a .txt file on accident?

I always recommend when you're editing .ini files to you a program like Notepad++ as it will save the file in the proper format without you having to do anything other then clicking save.

The real problem isn't downloading all over again, i wish it could be avoided because my connection suck. If i could undo the changes and use the data already downloades would be better, because i didn't delete the folders. In any case i shouldn't be messing with these stuff.

Just to let anyone else out there who might be willing to ditch bitraider know, I did so too and my download was going well (5-10 mbps, yay) until one point when I got this error: 310 (sometimes it was 311) which effectively cut off my download. I see that now it's working, slowly though.

My point is that you shouldn't expect a trouble-free download even if you switch to SSN. You might get lucky, of course, but you might not. The problem isn't just with bitraider it seems.

EDIT: yeah, it stopped again.

Edited by MasterVidu

Oh you can definitely run the game without BitRaider which theoretically would slow down the client if you have an old computer and which does seem to patch slowly/badly. I did it by buying a copy of the game on ebay. Set me back about five dollars. Now if my game wonks up I just uninstall and reinstall from disc. Problem solved for all time.